Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Open Beta and Release This Year - Year of the Dragon

Comments

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Zefire

Originally posted by Beachcomber

Overhyped by the community.

Threres going to be a lot of dissapointed people soon.

Thats what im afraid of

Why are you afraid of that?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Did anyone see this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vITFjbYZ58w&feature=relmfu

It's hardly "official" news, but if it's true, it's cool.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Did anyone see this?

Her conclusions are her own and imo wrong, her information however was interesting. From what I understood from it, their first closed beta was in December and was 2 weeks (?), they stated that it'd be followed up by several more [Closed Betas], followed up by a few short open betas. The ones in March and April seem to be the follow up 2nd and 3rd Closed Beta tests (and maybe 4th), it seems from how long the December Closed Beta was, that it'll be also a longer period of time. Followed up by a few short Open Betas that'll be end of April/May at the earliest.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Did anyone see this?

I think she was repeating stuff told in an interview by an ArenaNet employee.

..Cake..

Originally posted by smh_alot

Did anyone see this?

Her conclusions are her own and imo wrong, her information however was interesting. From what I understood from it, their first closed beta was in December and was 2 weeks (?), they stated that it'd be followed up by several more [Closed Betas], followed up by a few short open betas. The ones in March and April seem to be the follow up 2nd and 3rd Closed Beta tests (and maybe 4th), it seems from how long the December Closed Beta was, that it'll be also a longer period of time. Followed up by a few short Open Betas that'll be end of April/May at the earliest.

So you reached the same conclusion as she did.  April is 3 months away.  She was just being optimistic.  But yes, I think that time frame is doable.  Since the game looked feature-full before even entering any stage of beta, I don't just say that because I'm a fan and going crazy to play the game.  If it were stalled until September, I think there'd have to be something seriously flawed with the game that needed to be redone.

Originally posted by sgel

Did anyone see this?

I think she was repeating stuff told in an interview by an ArenaNet employee.

I don't know.  I'm sure there are plenty of videos on Youtube about this, but I tend to like her giddy, positive approach after reading all the venom on forums.  What it seems is that the quotes are from someone who has NOT been officially interviewed but feels that telling people things that ANet has already stated (which would exclude some of the things they said here, IMO), that he's not doing anything wrong.  I doubt ANet would fire the person, but whoever it is could be treading on thin ice.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

YES!!!!!!

Finally!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

awesome

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Why people keep saying "SW:TOR should prepare for f2p bla bla bla"

I know you are all excited but behave yourself, lets shown we are better than obvious trolls

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192

GW2 still might not launch till 2013. Why? He never actually says 2012 anywhere in his blog post, just "Year of the Dragon". His final comment doesn't even mention 2012, merely, "So welcome to the Year of the Dragon – the year of Guild Wars 2." No mention of 2012 at all. Of course the Year of the Dragon runs from January 23rd 2012 through till February 10th 2013. More than enough wiggle room, and of course it has everyone frothing LOL. Why go to all that trouble of not mentioning a specific Gregorian Calender Year, but only emphasize the Chinese Calender? Me thinks he is playing clever cloggs, and when it slides to 2013, they can say, "well, we never actually said 2012". Very Nice.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Originally posted by SalmonMan

GW2 still might not launch till 2013. Why? He never actually says 2012 anywhere in his blog post, just "Year of the Dragon". His final comment doesn't even mention 2012, merely, "So welcome to the Year of the Dragon – the year of Guild Wars 2." No mention of 2012 at all. Of course the Year of the Dragon runs from January 23rd 2012 through till February 10th 2013. More than enough wiggle room, and of course it has everyone frothing LOL. Why go to all that trouble of not mentioning a specific Gregorian Calender Year, but only emphasize the Chinese Calender? Me thinks he is playing clever cloggs, and when it slides to 2013, they can say, "well, we never actually said 2012". Very Nice.

And of course, this all leads to the release of Guild Wars 2 later this year. Leave the chinese calendar out. It's a methaphore because gw2 is about dragons.

Beta is in march and april. Release is month or two after that if beta is going according to plan.

• daniel!!!daniel!!! Member Posts: 400

wow, i never knew it could get any more pesimistic, but good point haha

• daniel!!!daniel!!! Member Posts: 400

Originally posted by Praetalus

Large amount of excitment from the folks around here for a beta...lol. The problem with all the hype, is that a game can never live up to it. There are a lot of people around here that acting like this game will save them from the horribleness the genre has become. Funny thing is... when I was playing Shadowbane years ago, the EXACT same thing happened with GW1 came out...lol. The game was popular no doubt, however, not the savior that everyone from Shadowbane was hoping for. I wish GW2 success, although, it's not sounding like my cup of tea. 

Still no release date announced but it sounds like everyone is thinking August. That gives TOR a lot of time to fix some stuff and it gives time for MoP and FFXIV version 2.0 to hit. Should be a pretty good second half of the year!

but shadowbane was cool, a little dark, but cool hehe i prefered gw1 over it but still an amazing game.

the main thing is i dont want to view this as the game that ends all, or throws us into the next gen of mmorpg's, i view it as an epic game that i am going to enjoy

• SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192

Originally posted by thedarkess

Leave the chinese calendar out.

Why leave it out? He didnt: "Today is Lunar New Year’s Day, and according to the Asian zodiac system, the first day of the Year of the Dragon."

Again, all the emphasis on this, and not a skerric of a mention of 2012. Not one number. Nowhere does it say in 2012. It seems he specifically didnt mention 2012 in fact. Why not? It would have been easy enough to do so. But no, just "Year of the Dragon".

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Originally posted by Zefire

Originally posted by Beachcomber

Overhyped by the community.

Threres going to be a lot of dissapointed people soon.

Thats what im afraid of

Why are you afraid of that?

Becuase the game sounds fun and refreshing and would suck if it flopped?

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by thedarkess

And of course, this all leads to the release of Guild Wars 2 later this year. Leave the chinese calendar out. It's a methaphore because gw2 is about dragons.

Beta is in march and april. Release is month or two after that if beta is going according to plan.

Anyone who knows how AN does things, would know that fall is MUCH more likely.  Personally, I suspect November-December (its still in 2012...) But the "Year of the Dragon" does run into the early part of 2013... ^^

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • RizzitRizzit Member UncommonPosts: 43

gogogo my last hope for this years online gaming

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Really looking forward to this release.  I'll be rabidly playing GW2 and one other MMO.  Dunno if thats gonna still be SWTOR, or I get to like Tera, Archeage or TSW as my 2nd game.

Regardless, I think a Q3 release of GW2 is easily on the cards.

FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP !

• nagennifnagennif Member UncommonPosts: 48

I'm a huge Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 fan...and I can't wait for it to come out...but I have no bad feelings about SWToR, or any other MMO. I hope that the few trolls out there bad-mouthing other games aren't taken as the entirety of the Guild Wars fan base, because they're not. They're the exception to the rule.

One of the reasons, however, that there is such negativity about other games, is the WoW factor. The fact that so many MMOs have copied the standard WoW formula, means that if you don't like that formula (and I don't), you are very very limited in what has been available for you to play. It's like five years of thousands of WoW clones and an occassional small independent release that's full of bugs, because the companies don't have the money to finish a project. The MMO part of SWToR, not the fine Bioware storyline, follows that WoW format. So did Rift. Since I don't like it, I naturally feel disappointment when so many games come out along the same lines. It's about time someone shakes up the industry.

I'm sure SWToR will do just fine...and that's all good. But Guild Wars 2 is going to be a game for the rest of us..the people who enjoyed single player type games and RPGs in general and thought, you know, maybe we can have a game too.

If I were interested in gear grind, I'd have become a watchmaker

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

"In February we’ll invite select press to participate in beta testing, and in March and April we’ll aggressively ramp up the size of our beta test events so that many of you will have a chance to participate."

I read nowhere about an OPEN beta test.

Open beta = availeble to EVERYONE.

That's why it's called open.

• 17Omega17Omega Member Posts: 44

ANET specifically stated that people take OB as a finalised demo, so if they are letting people to try GW 2 then this means it's a demo which means that it is finished. Martin said it's going to be like how it was for GW 1, which is called a Preview Event, you have 3 days Friday Saturday Sunday to try out GW 2

"ANET said it's a short demo" 

Martin Kerstein: "We purposely didn’t use the term “Open Beta”, we mentioned Beta Events. To some people Open Beta means unlimited access to the game and everybody on the interwebs can play it. This is not what we will do.

We will do Beta Weekend Events. Those of you who played Guild Wars might already be familiar with the concept. It means that many of you (like the blogpost says) will get a chance to participate in specific Events, but access won’t be unlimited – there will be some kind of selection criteria and the beta period will usually start on a Friday and end on the following Sunday.

I hope this helps."

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328
    Finally a game for us casuals with jobs that's not intressted in grinding gear 10 hours a day
  • diabisdiabis Member Posts: 35

Originally posted by smh_alot

Nice to hear, game is progressing nicely :-)

Some caution or realism for those who eagerly think that this means GW2 will release before Summer: when GW had its first open beta weekends (Fall 2004), it wasn't until 8 months later that the game released. I don't expect that the time between first open beta and release to be that long for GW2. However, the announced mass scale beta for March and April is still not the open beta as we have seen them the past years for MMO's.

Considering that after April, based on their findings the real open beta tests will be held some time afterwards, and that due to various reasons usually there's a 2 month at least between open beta of an MMO and release, any release before July seems very unlikely and unrealistic, especially seeing how ANet has taken their time to do things right and not rush stuff.

No AAA MMO has released in July-Aug, so September seems the likeliest release date for GW2.

I expect TSW and TERA to be released first, namely in April/May.

Originally posted by Zzad

Originally posted by Leucent

GW2 will be a great game, no doubt, but I still see a million threads in the future of, I m max now what. It s ineviatable with any MMO nowadays.

You get that problem when u design games with raiding-centered gear-grinding endgame...

you allways need more & new to be able to keep playing with some challenge...

Guild Wars 2 has a diferent design...

Dinamic content and sidekick system will keep ALL zones always challeging no matter what level are you.

I think this has less to do with design and more to do with that (a lot of) people will get bored regardless in the end, when they've in their eyes consumed most content for their character.

NcSoft Korea has put in for injuntion to stop 05/12 Launch of Tera. As to when and how GW2 will launch. As they have always said we will launch when the game is ready. Though I can not wait for the game to come.  I am really glad for the we will launch when it is ready. They took this on as soon as they found what we wanted for the game could not be had in GW1. I thought dang quiet now wait we will all be beating you down before you are ready and it has been the case. Add to it, games released have just not been what we wanted. I was hoping to play Tera, knowing the old L2 group had brought it online. But I can not see USA courts not stopping BH from coming to live status. We will see, if they can I will go play it until GW2 is here.

Look for the Rose with the Thorn.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

If players are already consuming all the content in SW:TOR, just imagine how fast they will plow through GW2.

I like that GW2 is more casual, but I do think some fans need to look at things in perspective.