Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No PVP gear.. why is that good?

jackman1118jackman1118 Member Posts: 288

Confession: I like swtor's carrot on the stick (if that disqualifies me from liking this game too then so be it)

But without pvp gear, what keeps me pvping in guild wars 2? I am trying to find information but all I see is people saying "Its fun, thats why you should play it!"

I play mmo's to progress a character, I play sc2 or fps' for competitive fun. (cause its a rpg)

Will this game provide the same types of ladders and stat tracking that a fps or a sc2 provides to keep me playing? This is something dearly lacking from swtor and if this game *plans* on having it at release I will be very interested.

Will I be able to get anything but "fun" out of pvp?

(note: I am not asking for pvp gear to own casuals, but I need something to aim for when pvp'ing!)

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

I'm sure you can earn something from pvping. It may not be gear, but it may be titles, or rankings or team ranks, I'm not sure. But it has to have something. I have yet to play a game where pvp was there just to be there, and I'm sure arenanet is smart enough to include some form of reward.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

You'll get plenty of rewards for being excellent in PVP.

None of them will help you kill others more easily once you have them.

You decide if it's worth playing now. I'll be there. See you on the feild if you are too.

There are global and individual rewards available in World vs World combat.

World benefits

Territories and control points within the map will confer benefits to the world that controls them, such as faster energy/health regeneration, increased drop rate or increased experience gain for a time.

Individual rewards

Players can gain experience and level their character, including rangers charming pets,[9] entirely in World PvP. Killing people in World vs World gives the player loot which means a player doesn't need to leave World PvP to get better gear.

Taken from the wiki^^

So, you DO get your armor, though it wont be statisticlly better, it may have unique looks that shows you got it from PVPing. so its an epeen i spose.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

The world PVP will grant experience and loot by killing players, so you could progress a character through PvP.  Plus you always have the benefits that winning the world map gives - whatever buffs they decide to attach to the system.  There are rewards besides just 'fun'.

Too early to say how their ladder / stat / competitive support will work.  Observer mode worked fairly smooth in GW1 and the game supported PvP through titles, rewards that could be converted in-game (tournament reward points and some others), and tournaments for cash.  Anet says that they are 'taking pvp seriously' and have mentioned interest in esports, so if they release without competitive support, I would be shocked.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

PVP Gear vendors right here. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SOKqmeE-8c#t=1m44s

and yes, there will be stat tracking of some kind, as well as titles.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I think having pvp earnable gear ruins it for everyone. Should have to raid like everyone else for your gear to use it to pvp with. It worked fine in dark age of camelot and a few other mmo's don't know why all the recent mmo's insist on having 2 seperate gear sets one earnable thru pvp and one thru pve.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Some people prefer that PVP mostly depend on which side has higher levels, better gear, and/or more players in the area.  Others prefer that it depends mostly on the skill of the players, that is, what you actually do while playing in PVP.  ArenaNet mostly caters to the latter, though world vs world pvp might (maybe!) be closer to what you're after.  If the former is your preference, then there are plenty of other games that cater to you--indeed, most MMORPGs with PVP do that, so you can't reasonably complain that you can't find what you're after elsewhere.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

Originally posted by Siveria

I think having pvp earnable gear ruins it for everyone. Should have to raid like everyone else for your gear to use it to pvp with. It worked fine in dark age of camelot and a few other mmo's don't know why all the recent mmo's insist on having 2 seperate gear sets one earnable thru pvp and one thru pve.

this isn't WoW, the stats are equal. it's cosmetic differences.

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Originally posted by Siveria

That sounds like a horrible idea. What's good about GW2 is that the pvp gear probably won't have any significant differences from the PVE like resilience so you can probably use the pve gear in pvp and vica versa.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by jackman1118

Confession: I like swtor's carrot on the stick (if that disqualifies me from liking this game too then so be it)

But without pvp gear, what keeps me pvping in guild wars 2? I am trying to find information but all I see is people saying "Its fun, thats why you should play it!"

I play mmo's to progress a character, I play sc2 or fps' for competitive fun. (cause its a rpg)

Will this game provide the same types of ladders and stat tracking that a fps or a sc2 provides to keep me playing? This is something dearly lacking from swtor and if this game *plans* on having it at release I will be very interested.

(note: I am not asking for pvp gear to own casuals, but I need something to aim for when pvp'ing!)

From the looks of it,  PvP isn't the main focus of GW2.  If your main focus is PvP, then I suspect you will be quite disappointed.  

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Originally posted by Wraithone

From the looks of it,  PvP isn't the main focus of GW2.  If your main focus is PvP, then I suspect you will be quite disappointed.  

Huh?

I don't understand how anyone can arrive to that conclusion. Arena Net is not only promoting their structured PvP as competetive, trying to establish a legitement e-sport within the genre, but they have prided their PvP system's reliance on skill since the first game, which was marketed as a PvP title. There's also World vs World vs World, 3 faction, massive PvP with potentially thousands of players that will be match-made and leaderboard tracking for servers.

A lot of people assume that PvE or PvP won't be good because the other is not done well. I guess this reinforces the sentiment of a "PvP" or "PvE game", but it's dumb to begin with. Having quality PvP and quality PvE are NOT mutually exclusive.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Here's a crazy thought for the OP... how about actually winning PvP absed on your skills as opposed to the gear you're wearing?

Novel idea, eh?

Oderint, dum metuant.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

In simple terms its fun because you like the style of combat. Or, you dont like it because of the style of combat.

As to the rewards if I'm not mistaken you will have diffrent "tiers" of gear but it will be mostly cosmetic changes. So it will still be fully possible for me to see you in the battlefield and know you are a badass because of that giant horned helm you are wearing (not saying that a giant horned helm is infact the badass pvpers armor). If looks arent enough and you dont really like the combat style then no, GW2 wont be for you. If you DO like the style of combat and looking like you are a god among mortals visually but are still required to have skill to win then GW2 is definitly going to be fun for you.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Well there's two flaws with your logic 1: Fun for you is not fun for others. PVP fun for some sick bastards is to use the games poor design (WoW, SWTOR)(poor in that they can exploit as we saw in SWTOR and poor in that pvp matching systems never work based on gear as we see in WoW) to get the best gear so that they have a win button in pvp instead of skill, some of them even run around pking in places they can because they enjoy griefing other players instead of actual matches. 2: the gear treadmill is a very old concept and was put in place so that devs could take the lazy route when it comes to character progression design. It's made souly for the purpose of making the devs jobs easier not to actually show how much effort you put into a character. the gear treadmill is not in GW2 so if you are looking for that stay with SWTOR i hear it has the gear treadmill, global cooldowns, macro'd abilities, etc etc. So if you like the easy route or you love exploiting just stay with the game you are on. 

The rest of us will be enjoying our dynamic environment that requires skill to play. Although i'm very much hoping the devs of this game aren't going to pull a Bioware at launch, as it's quickly becoming the term.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by Serelisk

Having quality PvP and quality PvE are NOT mutually exclusive.

To be fair games like WAR tried there hardest to prove you otherwise. Alot of people loved WAR's PvP but its PvE was some of the worst ever seen in an MMO. That said I agree with you 100% and the person you quoted was so far off on his statement it wasnt even funny. Anet is well known for there PvP in an MMO-Combat style game. If anything I have more faith in GW2 having great PVP over PvE and I prefer PvE.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Dumb diddy dumb dumb...Dumb diddy dumb dumb...

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Serelisk

Huh?

I don't understand how anyone can arrive to that conclusion. Arena Net is not only promoting their structured PvP as competetive, trying to establish a legitement e-sport within the genre, but they have prided their PvP system's reliance on skill since the first game, which was marketed as a PvP title. There's also World vs World vs World, 3 faction, massive PvP with potentially thousands of players that will be match-made and leaderboard tracking for servers.

A lot of people assume that PvE or PvP won't be good because the other is not done well. I guess this reinforces the sentiment of a "PvP" or "PvE game", but it's dumb to begin with. Having quality PvP and quality PvE are NOT mutually exclusive.

I stand corrected. My main focus is on PvE, so thats what I'm familiar with. From this it would appear that their initial push for GW2 as PvE, was to off set the wide spread idea that the original GW was PvP centric (and thus that GW2 would also be).

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/09/flameseeker-chronicles-arenanet-talks-pve-vs-pve/

This is what I was originally refering to.

http://www.mmorpg1.com/guild-wars-2-pvp-vs-pve.html

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • ArawniteArawnite Member Posts: 163

Gotta love whining from WoW kids...

So OP... I guess if you can't grind or exploit your way into having a gear advantage over other players, you don't see the point?

• AzariaAzaria Member Posts: 318

PVP is the main focus and their is no gear progression. Any other statement otherwise is wishful thinking. 

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/guildcast-endgame-not-necessary/

If your looking for a PVE gear grind this game isn't for you, thats not me saying that, thats the Dev blog.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Who said there wasn't pvp gear?

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

Eh don't like the idea of making Pvp battlegrounds/warzones into Wrath of Warhammer or whatever it's called, or basicaly league of legends. Never actually feels like *your* character..well..because it's not.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Originally posted by Arawnite

Gotta love whining from WoW kids...

So OP... I guess if you can't grind or exploit your way into having a gear advantage over other players, you don't see the point?

There needs to be a Godwin's correllary for wow imo.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I'm hoping that GW2 sticks with a similar structure as they had in GW, with titles and cosmetic fluff for rewards.  Having statistically better gear just unbalances things, and I like having a title beneath my name.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Its looking pretty equal to me 

PvE - Pesonal story + World PvE

PvP - WvWvW + Hot joins 

2 on one side 2 on the other, I don't understand where the notion that anet is going for one or the other more is coming from.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• jackman1118jackman1118 Member Posts: 288

Originally posted by Volkon

Here's a crazy thought for the OP... how about actually winning PvP absed on your skills as opposed to the gear you're wearing?

Novel idea, eh?

you must be a casual who blames gear imbalance for why you lose.

Also, you cant read. I never said I wanted pvp gear 100%, but instead was interested in what they had planned because of not having said gear.

Anyways, guess nobody knows what they really have planned. even SWTOR said they would have rankings, which they dont.

Also, why do they give you gear in WvWvW if it gives no stats? cosmetics? or do I need gear for pve..?

I will just have to wait to get my answer.

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Volkon

Novel idea, eh?

you must be a casual who blames gear imbalance for why you lose.

Also, you cant read. I never said I wanted pvp gear 100%, but instead was interested in what they had planned because of not having said gear.

Anyways, guess nobody knows what they really have planned. even SWTOR said they would have rankings, which they dont.

Also, why do they give you gear in WvWvW if it gives no stats? cosmetics? or do I need gear for pve..?

I will just have to wait to get my answer.

my wife and i consider ourselves to be quite fond of pvp. she's incredibly good at it, to tell the truth and i like to think i'm not much of a slouch. we've always been quick to nab our pvp gear and i consider that i've always been geared.

but i much prefer this system, because the other side of the coin is, i always wanted to know how much of my steamrolling noobs was simply because i out-geared them. i really do want to play on an even field. i like that because it feels like more of a challenge. then i can sit back and grin at my stats KNOWING i'm uber, rather than just thinking i am.

i love the idea of more cosmetic endgame things to chase. it appeals on so many levels and leaves more wriggle room for "balance" and whatnot. this should make for a tighter and more challenging pvp experience. i, for one, am really looking forward to it.