Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 5 Forum Archetypes

Comments

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Originally posted by unclemo

wheredoweputthepeoplewhoneverusepunctuationproperlyandthrowinsomel337sp3akandothermindlessdrivelthatsreallynotontopicohandbythewaytheyneverformsentencesintoproperparagraphssowhomevertrystoreadtheirtexthitsforlike198763486987WTFOMGBBQdamageandhastogotothefridgerightawaytogrababeersotheycanchasedownfororfiveadvilandinthemeantimeplottoseekrevengeonthefamilycatsignedunclemolevel50troll/lurker

/me goes to the fridge right away to grab a beer

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by elocke

Fly-by Poster:

That's me ;D.  I tend to only pick posts in that little box on the front page that catch my eye, I may even reply within that thread more than once, but more often than not, I've shot my gun and am looking for the next interesting thread to poke my head into.

I'll admit I'm a bit like that.

IF nothing happens on the front page or there are no interesting posts I will then start to search in game forums that I find interesting.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

The Veteran:

Been here long enough to realize everyone is full of shit and the only intelligent people are the ones that realize it. Used to be a Peacemaker until they got tired of answering stupid questions. Sighs a lot. Color: Red, seen everytime the desire to stab someone in the face for their stupid emerges. Which is often.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• An attempt to simplify a complex subject. Useful  only for those new to forums without any conept of who they are. Most will probably be a mix of what was specified by the op and a myriad of other qualities not mentioned. For myself I am quite changeable and still growing and learning from others even though quite old by most current standards. Don't stereotype yourself.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Amana

For those self-identifying as trolls?

(Kidding!)

HAHHA, that face says otherwise ;)

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

For any forum:

• The Grammar/Spelling Nazi: These are the people that will nitpick every post for spelling and or grammar mistakes. They will use this mistakes to dismiss any comment made by a poster no matter how valid or relevant. Their color is black. To match the darkness in their soul...

For this site in particular:

• The jaded vet: You know these people. The ones that have been playing MMOs since before they were called MMOs. Can usually be identified by comments comparing any modern game to games 10 to 12 years old. Their favorite phrases are: "Games used to be better" or "Today's games are to easy" and the ever popular"I blame WoW for everything that is wrong with MMOs today!" Their color is pink: it matches their rose colored glasses.

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492

Originally posted by jeddak

An attempt to simplify a complex subject. Useful  only for those new to forums without any conept of who they are. Most will probably be a mix of what was specified by the op and a myriad of other qualities not mentioned. For myself I am quite changeable and still growing and learning from others even though quite old by most current standards. Don't stereotype yourself.

The "Takes Everything Too Seriously" guy:

In his country, sarcasm is punishable by labor camp

• Originally posted by kakasaki

For any forum:

• The Grammar/Spelling Nazi: These are the people that will nitpick every post for spelling and or grammar mistakes. They will use this mistakes to dismiss any comment made by a poster no matter how valid or relevant. Their color is black. To match the darkness in their soul...

• The jaded vet: You know these people. The ones that have been playing MMOs since before they were called MMOs. Can usually be identified by comments comparing any modern game to games 10 to 12 years old. Their favorite phrases are: "Games used to be better" or "Today's games are to easy" and the ever popular"I blame WoW for everything that is wrong with MMOs today!" Their color is pink: it matches their rose colored glasses.

You imply this type would be seeing it wrongly so maybe you should rename the type to the 'Wtong-thinking jaded vet'.

• Originally posted by 77lolmac77

An attempt to simplify a complex subject. Useful  only for those new to forums without any conept of who they are. Most will probably be a mix of what was specified by the op and a myriad of other qualities not mentioned. For myself I am quite changeable and still growing and learning from others even though quite old by most current standards. Don't stereotype yourself.

The "Takes Everything Too Seriously" guy:

In his country, sarcasm is punishable by labor camp

Sarcasm is usually subject to another's' narrow interpretation just to avoid saying plainly what you really mean which keeps the ever-popullar 'I was joking' defense open.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

The Devil's Advocate

Not a true Archetype, but actually a sophisticated sort of troll who pretends to sit in the middle of the road, advocating a reasonable position while doing everything he can to challenge the beliefs of both troll and fanboi alike. (and stirring up the pot to boot)

Never really taking a strong position on any issue, he or she will argue both sides of the fence, pointing out the flaws in the other person's arguement, just for the sake of arguing.

I'd say I'm somewhere between this and a peacemaker. (because I don't mind answering noob questions.)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DezyneDezyne Member Posts: 9

I'm ending my Lurker status to bring up two of my least favorite archetypes:

The Nonreader:  The non reader feels that some posts are just too long to bother reading, but that doesn't stop them from letting everyone know that they couldn't be bothered with a smug "tl;dr."  An even worse behavior from the non reader is the posting of "I stopped reading when you said '_______'." 

The Fixer:  This is the poster who is so arrogant, they feel the only way to get their argument out is to physically edit a quote from another poster and add one smug sentence "Fixed that for you."

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by kakasaki

For any forum:

You imply this type would be seeing it wrongly so maybe you should rename the type to the 'Wtong-thinking jaded vet'.

No. I think the jaded vets are 100% correct. I am one! But if you can't laught at yourself....

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

How about the "I swallowed a dictionary and it gave me indigestion" type - the poster with opinions so 'important' that they need to use big words or foriegn phrases to show how much more clever they are than everyone else...except they use them wrongly.... ("I feel that the development team did not exasperate the situation per say, more that they turned a blind eye to the flaws. Without further adieu let me list their oversites.").

That amuses me even more than the no-grammar types, because the poster so obviously cares how they're perceived whereas the agrammatical types don't give a flying fig what people think about them.

(ETA: I'm actually far more snarky in reality than on forums...I think I'm pretty bland here...I could be seen as a 'filler' poster, if there is such a thing!)

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

The, 'Experienced' Reviewer: these sorts of people always starts threads but rarely come back to them after they've started a s**tstorm.  Generally the thread will be a review of a said game but generally always starts with:, 'Just so you know I've played every single MMOs there ever been etc,etc'.  Which translates as:, 'I've played lots of games so that means my opinion is correct'.

The, 'review', will generally then, if negative, ramble on about either a certain feature not being in the game or something they personally don't like for many paragraphs, stressing the point several times. Sometimes this will be done in CAPITALS just incase you weren't sure what there problem is.  

If positive, the reviewer will always come to the conclusion that, 'this game is great, why are you all to dumb to play it?'.  If they do return to the thread it's only to thank those who agree with them and ignore anyone who might have tried to critise/discuss what they wrote.

Maybe it's me but these people drive me up the wall...

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Hilarious thread!!  This is probably one of the funniest threads I have seen on this site for a very long time, maybe on the whole internet.  I have probably been a luker/hater/fanboy lately because all anyone seems to post about these days is SWTOR and linear vs sandbox MMO talk.  Here's some of my favorites:

Originally posted by Homitu

How about the rationalist, who criticizes and praises where he sees fit.  He admits flaws in games he loves and is capable of pointing out positive features in games he hates.  Because of the dominant traditional troll/fanboy dichotomy, however, he may occasionally be mistaken for one or the other if he does not clarify his stance in his language.

All the haters and fanboys THINK they are the rationalist.  :-)  They do exist though... I know because I am the only one.  :o)

Originally posted by precious328

#6The Schnozz: Biggest forum moderator / dev brown-nosers and NDA police.

I feel bad for this guy

Originally posted by KingofHartz

Oh and guy who posts again right after his post

This one is me.

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

How about the one-uppers?

"Oh you used to play Vanilla WoW? Yeah I was in beta"

"Oh you got to lvl 50 in 4 days in Swtor? Yeah I hit it in 3 and watched all cutscenes."

"Oh youve been playing MMOs since EQ? Yeah I played Meridian 59"

I love these guys they are hilarious.

Originally posted by slickbizzle

What category does the "Actually..." guy fit under? The guy that always has an answer to the question nobody asked.

Example:

Poster: I like this new game. I like how it does a double slash motion with the sword.

That guy: Actually, that "sword" is a katana blade and was popular in Japan but can date its origins even further back to blah blah blah.  IMO it was the most efficient design.

Hahaha! Yeah. I can't stand that guy.

"Question: Which side should I be? Good or Evil?

Poster: Actually, good or evil is just a point of view."

------

Another one:

The Special Snowflake: This person tries to be identified and heard only by typing in a special color, as if he or she has anything important to say.

These are both great.  The 'Actually...' guy is one of the more annoying people I think.  The special snowflake is super funny.  Thanks for this.

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

and who can overlook the "English isn't my primary language" guy

always fun deciphering those posts

I usually write these guys off as idiots until it occurs to me or they say in their post that english is their second language then I feel bad :D

Originally posted by stragen001

I think you missed out hater.

Trolls are people that post inane things just to elicit a response, or stir up an argument, and the post can be about anything.  Haters are the ones that will jump on any thread at all about a game they dont like and post negatively. Even if the discussion is perfectly civil until they arrive, they will post something such as "This game sucks donkey balls, i dont know why anyone would play it, its not even an mmo"  and then the eternal battle between fanboys and haters begins...

Great point, I think we have a lot more haters than trolls on these forums.

Originally posted by Kaerigan

How about the Jaded One (sounds epic, right)? He instantly puts down any new MMOs because he's been burnt by one or more bad MMOs in the past. I don't see these people as trolls, just angry people that are tired of (what they perceive as) shitty games.

I like this one because not a lot of sites have this but MMORPG.com has A LOT!  I would be one.  Mors.Magne called them a 'BItterVet' I think thats a better name.

Originally posted by k11keeper

The one that comes to mind is the "overquoter." This person loves having his individual post be made up of 3,4,5 or even more posts from other people just to say one minor thing about the giant wall of text taking up 98% of his post. Does he expect us to read all this? Or does he just love the "quote" button over the "reply" bottum so much that he can only ever quote things.

*looks at my own post* LOOOLLLL!!!  Maybe I should stop here.

I like how 3 people responded to this one saying that that person is 'the most annoying'.

Originally posted by Dezyne

The Nonreader:  The non reader feels that some posts are just too long to bother reading, but that doesn't stop them from letting everyone know that they couldn't be bothered with a smug "tl;dr."  An even worse behavior from the non reader is the posting of "I stopped reading when you said '_______'." 

Hate this guy...  I really feel like this sort of thing is damaging to the community because it discourages longer more thought out posts.  I sometimes feel like I have to put my arguments into small cliche sound bytes just to have it read.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Really enjoyed reading the article and the thread to follow. I noticed one omission, not sure if this person deservers their own catagory or if it comes under Troll but you decide.

The Sensationalist Thread Starter.

This person is known for starting over dramatic and sensationalist threads on online gaming forums. Examples of this include. "Blizzard now found responsible for the holocaust!" Or "BioWare Annexes Ploand!" Or "Funcom Ate My Baby!" Or "When will WoW stop coming round to my house, kicking me square in the nuts and eating all my Kellogs Corn Flakes?" Etc etc.  Known for having no sense of perspective, no experience with the outside world, an aversion to soap and huge sagging man breasts.

Sorry for that rant but by the powers of Greyskull I really do dislike those people! :D

• redpinsredpins Member Posts: 147

Braindead - No matter how you put this, the title gives it away.

Enlightened Outcast - Even though they are right, the community flames them anyway.

Assassin - Usually kills only 1 target forum user then leaves.

Vampire - Sucks the life / fun from everything, then complains.

I struggle not with life, money, emotions, and world, but against old mindsets and selves to be proven obsolete in a age and time of rapid changes. Go create fun, so you can have fun.

• kokotewakokotewa Member Posts: 16

Sarcasmatron - the result of a troll and a lurker mating. The sarcamatron scans the forums in search for inept, uninetionally funny or plain stupid posts. After the prey has been identified the sarcasmatron proceeds to comment in the mosts juicy sarcasms it can think of. After shooting the load it goes back and rereads its own post several times, all while commending itself for being so witty. The sarcasmatron is usually neutral to the topic.

Haha load.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Originally posted by kokotewa

I hate you.

Now class, here is our first practical lesson. How would you categorise the above post?

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

Overly Smiley or Mangirl:

This user is either too happy or too afraid that he might be read wrong. :) Everything sentence has a smile on the end of it :) :D

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

The Librarian.  Keeper of all knowledge and facts.  Often mistaken for the Grammar Police.  See “Actually...”

Librarian tend to prefer the color BLUE which embodies Truth and Correctness.

The Valid Hunchback.  Identified by valid and true statements, that are ignored or repudiated by Fanbois, Yes Men, and Corporate Shills.  Their hideousness leads them to end up on ignore lists. You see that iceberg, we are gonna hit it and sink.  Your just a Hatter, you have no confidence in the White Star Line, give them time, they’ll fix it just you wait and see.  You don’t know what you are talking about.

Valid Hunchback tend to prefer the color PURPLE which embodies RED & BLUE colors.  But given time will evolve to BLACK which embodies all that is detested.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Especially when it's about these forums, you forgot the overzealous moderator:

"Stop the baiting, guys"

Hint: This posting getting deleted will be proof of said species being domestic here.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Originally posted by elocke

Drive-by Poster:

That's me ;D.  I tend to only pick posts in that little box on the front page that catch my eye, I may even reply within that thread more than once, but more often than not, I've shot my gun and am looking for the next interesting thread to poke my head into.

I'd think this one is me.. when im not being a lurker. Being on this site and and checking it almost daily since 2003 with only 300 posts = lurker

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • HiromantHiromant Member UncommonPosts: 99

*Stalks about on tiny padded feets*

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

Overly Smiley or Mangirl:

This user is either too happy or too afraid that he might be read wrong. :) Everything sentence has a smile on the end of it :) :D

Good one.  I'm stealing the "Mangirl" thing.   I always saw someone typing like that in guild chat and thought it was a girl and then I heard him in vent.