Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perma-banned for using a meme

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

Comments

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

Bioware doesn't use the internet besides updating their own website.  My jaw honestly dropped.

*awaits fanboys to call BW god and  claim they can do no wrong.

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385

Errr, so he posted on the official swtor forums that he was under the age of 13 and got perma-banned?

And he did that just to joke around or to be a little spiffy with the moderators over there?

In either case, this is too wierd. I'd never heard of a ban like this before. O.O

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

You have a pretty deep voice for a 13 year old

just sayin'

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

They do have an appeal process don't they? 

A bit heavy-handed no doubt, I'm sure he can prove that he is not 12 though. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

ToS is ToS.

If a person under 13 is not allowed to have an account - what exactly are they supposed to do.  There are legal requirements in the US that must be met.

Originally posted by dubyahite

They do have an appeal process don't they? 

A bit heavy-handed no doubt, I'm sure he can prove that he is not 12 though. 

I'm sure he can but it is more about the rather silly  process that ended with him being perma ban for saying "I'm 12".  I'm sure they investegated the matter before they handed out  a perma ban for a single forum post.... otherwise that would just be insane.

EDIT: It did not take long for them to show up... Above poster  makes lose faith in mankind.

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

If this is legit, it's fucking hilarious.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

He did one of those mindless 'I'm X years old' internet jokes, it got screened and he got banned because of a dumb joke.

Being harsh I have to say he should have been banned for the terrible joke.

Being fair I have to say he should just appeal the ban.

It is certainly jumpy of them to skip to a permaban, but it's completely within the realm of maintaining caution over the userbase. I'd assume any sane person would find that understandable.

That being said. They are only a section of Bioware and do not represent the company as a whole. The facility itself was setup for the development and operation of the game with people that are new to MMOs and backed by a publisher that proves it's strategies less than stellar...well...most of the time.

Stop mindlessly bashing an antire company and people won't bash your misinformed opinion?

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288

He was banned for Violating the ToS by "admitting" he's under the age of 13 as you can see in the PM the video shows you.  There is no way for BioWare to verify age so yeah if you go on their forums and claim you're under the age of 13 and the ToS clearly state that anyone under the age of 13 can not play the game then yeah you're going to get banned.  I personally don't see any issue here and think the guy is a dumb ass for saying they're 12 and then mad because they got banned.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Sounds like a jackass got his card pulled and now he wants to whine about it.  He made a joke and got his ass handed too him...hope he never gets his account back.  That way the rest of us can laugh.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

What is Bioware supposed to do here?  I am confused.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

Originally posted by Ausare

Sounds like a jackass got his card pulled and now he wants to whine about it.  He made a joke and got his ass handed too him...hope he never gets his account back.  That way the rest of us can laugh.

Logic can't withstand anal pain of THAT magnitude! 

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB

• Originally posted by Jason2444

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j144/jason2444/1327184211519.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-w2tOW0Xrk

Oh god i can't breath 

Meme or not you said you were 12. Honestly your fault all the way. Embrace the epic fail bestowed upon yourself and move on.

Originally posted by namelessbob

Originally posted by Jason2444

Oh god i can't breath 

Meme or not you said you were 12. Honestly your fault all the way. Embrace the epic fail bestowed upon yourself and move on.

Trust me, i don't care

The game is already sinking, might as well speed up the process by banning people for EVERYTHING POSSIBLE

Originally posted by Souldrainer

How about an email stating something like...

"Your account is being reviewed because of certain forum post(s) and we require you to prove that you are of at least 13 years of age or your account will be closed.  You can provide X as evidence, or Y and Z.

Thank you, have a nice day"

instead of just  jumping the gun and banning someone? But It's BW... What am I thinking.... They can do no wrong.... Ban. Him.

Oh god i can't breath 

Trust me, i don't care

The game is already sinking, might as well speed up the process by banning people for EVERYTHING POSSIBLE

... Breaking the TOS isn't everything possible. It is the legal binding contract that allows a subscriber to access Biowares content. By saying you are 12 you broke the TOS and therefor recieved the ban. I am truly unclear of what you think you are proving besides Bioware doing its job.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Oh god i can't breath 

Trust me, i don't care

Like I said... what is Bioware supposed to do here?  If they didn't ban you it would be "ZOMG 12 year olds playing SWTOR.  Bioware SuXx0ur2!"  They have to have rules or they will lose money.  If you say you murdered someone and it sounds plausible and the cops knock on your door... whose fault is that?  Moreover, this meme is just not funny.  I'm all for humor but some jokes are just.. stupid.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Possibly the first thing that the SWtOR team has done right so far.

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288

Originally posted by Clocksimus

"Your account is being reviewed because of certain forum post(s) and we require you to prove that you are of at least 13 years of age or your account will be closed.  You can provide X as evidence, or Y and Z.

instead of just  jumping the gun and banning someone? But It's BW... What am I thinking.... They can do no wrong.... Ban. Him.

If the forum post eluded to him being under the age of 13 sure, but he blatently admitted to being under the age of 13.  Just how much investigation do you expect them to do without violating privacy laws?  Bioware is a gaming company not the FBI.

Originally posted by KyutaSyuko

If the forum post eluded to him being under the age of 13 sure, but he blatently admitted to being under the age of 13.  Just how much investigation do you expect them to do without violating privacy laws?  Bioware is a gaming company not the FBI.

I don't remember Blizzard mods ever doing something this asinine 

But what do you expect when EA out sources their customer support to third world countries

Honestly, Bioware will go down in history as the worst customer service in the gaming industry 

Oh god i can't breath 

Trust me, i don't care

... Breaking the TOS isn't everything possible. It is the legal binding contract that allows a subscriber to access Biowares content. By saying you are 12 you broke the TOS and therefor recieved the ban. I am truly unclear of what you think you are proving besides Bioware doing its job.

Actually he did not break the TOS. Why? He is older than 13 maybe? No where in the TOS does it say you are not allowed to make a joke, that inflicts no harm or grief on anyone.  Unless you can somehow link "I'm 12" to being verbal abuse towards another player.  This argument holds no solidity at all.  Read the TOS and you see that it states "TOR accounts will not be allowed for minors under 13 years of age, regardless of premission and/or registration by parent or guardian."

Since the account in question does not belong to someone under 13.... He was wrongly banned.

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by KyutaSyuko

Originally posted by Clocksimus

there's an awful lot of 13yo cheerleaders in the world, then, based on the internet.

personally, i'd call for common sense and context. if we can't do that, then there's also a lot of people who took an arrow through the knee lately, so maybe we should start rounding up the archers doing the shooting?

It's not against the ToS to play WoW under the age of 13...

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Then again, its exceedingly rare (and silly) for a customer to admit they're not legally capable of being one partner in a valid contract, even in jest.

The cops love it when people talk themselves INTO jail.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

2 things need to happen

1: You need to get off Biowares nuts

2: Bioware mods need to be better versed in internet memes and lingo

Regardless, all you had to do is contact them and say it was a joke and "I have proof that I am older than 13".

Why does everything on the internet have to be filled with drama? Things don't have to be this hard.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
This discussion has been closed.