Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Senior Producer Exits Blizzard

124»

Comments

• KingPinoyKingPinoy Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by Siveria

I probally won't buy d3, mainly because of the fact it'll also be on consoles, the fact its on consoles means its going to be dumbed down to total garbage just like dungeon siege 3 was, and various other games just because they got a console version. I will however probally torrent the game, if they cracked the beta online so you can play without internet I fully expect them to crack the retail version within a few days. The fact your forced to be online only and the rmt AH are 2 other factors why I might not bother with diablo 3, paying real cash for virtual items in a game that si buy to play is just stupid and is just the devoloper money grubbing. Blizz used to be one of my fave devolopers but after what they caused the mmorpg genre to turn into, and what they are doing with diablo 3, I gone from loving blizzard to hating them for destroying mmorpg's.

They didn't destroy anything. They simply worked on their game while others copied. If anything people who have ever played wow are to blame because they made it so successful by buying the peice of garbage in the first place.  I'm also pretty sure you wont be FORCED into using the RMTAH and im assuming they threw it in there so Gold farmers/sellers would have a hard time selling stuff. Instead of them getting the money, blizzard is. They arnt stupid enough to not relize that.

• DracondisDracondis Member UncommonPosts: 177

Originally posted by AZHokie54

Originally posted by salenger

By the time D3 is released no one will care, it has taken way too long to hit the shelves and way to long to start making new changes at this point, i feel Blizzard made a big time mistake in allowing D3 to take so long, i honestly believe this game will be purchased by many but will not be played by many after 1 month, if you take a look at some of the titles coming out in 2012 D3 aside from the name it carries does not even closely resemble the promise of many other titles coming out this year.

Do you really think Blizzard cares if ANYONE plays the game after they buy it from them?

Good thing I'm getting my copy for free from them, then.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Originally posted by eyelolled

Blizzard doesn't have it in them to produce a good quality game anymore. I'm glad I was able to enjoy Diablo II, and I'll let it end there.

We are talking major meltdwon in Blizzard over their games production. The real deal is that Diablo 3 is being re-written following negative feedback from beta tsting of game players. Folks, Diablo is not a great game, that's why it is being re-written so much. We are talking a really long release delay for this one. 

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Originally posted by Serelisk

His leaving quote would suggest the seperation was on amicable terms.

When Jeff Strain left Arena Net, it was because he was ambitious and wanted to start a new project. I imagine the same applies to a senior producer of Blizzard.

Well , no

First - they are obligated by contract to keep quiet about real reasons. Plus , company can easily deny to pay all kind of severance bonuses if he doesnt play good with PR section.

And as for Jeff Strain. It was not few weeks before launch of project he worked on 5 years.

Do you know that these guys are supposed to get large bonuses if game is sucessful (that is how it works in game industry)

He was fired

This is how it works ^

I heard that he got into a "creative discussion" over the direction Diablo III has taken, and is currently going. I'm not sure what that means only that he got fired in the end LOL.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by Dracondis

Originally posted by AZHokie54

By the time D3 is released no one will care, it has taken way too long to hit the shelves and way to long to start making new changes at this point, i feel Blizzard made a big time mistake in allowing D3 to take so long, i honestly believe this game will be purchased by many but will not be played by many after 1 month, if you take a look at some of the titles coming out in 2012 D3 aside from the name it carries does not even closely resemble the promise of many other titles coming out this year.

Do you really think Blizzard cares if ANYONE plays the game after they buy it from them?

Good thing I'm getting my copy for free from them, then.

How's that? You PAYED for the 1year subscription from WoW? That's NOT "Free", you PAID for it. It just so happens that it came with WoW time as well.

Nothing is free, ever.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Originally posted by Serelisk

His leaving quote would suggest the seperation was on amicable terms.

When Jeff Strain left Arena Net, it was because he was ambitious and wanted to start a new project. I imagine the same applies to a senior producer of Blizzard.

Well , no

First - they are obligated by contract to keep quiet about real reasons. Plus , company can easily deny to pay all kind of severance bonuses if he doesnt play good with PR section.

And as for Jeff Strain. It was not few weeks before launch of project he worked on 5 years.

Do you know that these guys are supposed to get large bonuses if game is sucessful (that is how it works in game industry)

He was fired

This is how it works ^

I heard that he got into a "creative discussion" over the direction Diablo III has taken, and is currently going. I'm not sure what that means only that he got fired in the end LOL.

I wouldn't be surprised, he may have voiced an opinion that wasn't the accepted company line.  Haing worked in a similar corporate enviorment there's only ever going to be one winner in that arguement :P

We'll never really know but I agree with Serelisk interpretation of events based on the wording, the timing, and my own experience in these matters.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• NYRob1984NYRob1984 Member Posts: 7

After reading the post by Jay Wilson, I think the changes they are making should of been done years ago. Now its like they have a finished D3 but decided to scrap the entire project and start over. We will be lucky to see it this year. Im guessing a 2013 release.

I was hoping this was going to be out before Guild Wars 2 cause I need a filler until then. And all those people that bought the year subscription for WoW, those subscriptions will expire before D3 is released. How are they going to work that?

• harvest151harvest151 Member UncommonPosts: 217

20 years since my last paycheck and no release date in sight? I'd quit too.

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

I wanted this game pretty bad. Then my kids were born, they grew up, and now they too are anxiously waiting for its release......

Something is fundamentally wrong with that. Think I am starting to smell "vapors" in the air.

• serapholseraphol Member Posts: 33

I'm not sure what senior producer means in the gaming world, but in the film industry, it means jack shit. He put his name on stuff and loosely made sure the people doing all the actual work were doing it the way HIS bosses wanted. He was a supervisor, basically, paid to boss, not think.

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432

i feel Blizzard made a big time mistake in allowing D3 to take so long

Surely that's not because THE ORIGINAL DEVELOPERS OF THE DIABLO FRANCHISE LEFT BLIZZARD, right?

The Diablo series should've stayed dead.  Diablo 3 is not a true Diablo game.  It's using the Diablo IP and current Blizzard's staff in order to milk the franchise for what it has left, which is what Blizzard's been doing with all of their franchises for the last 3 years.

I recommend everyone take a look at Path of Exile if you want a true Diablo-like game.  I personally call it 'Diablo 2.5'.

Oh and for anyone who thinks I'm personally against Blizzard; yes, I am.  Having been a loyal fan since The Lost Vikings and owning EVERY SINGLE ONE of their 'Blizzard' branded games (up to Starcraft 2 [Part 1]), I feel I am justified with my feelings towards Blizzard's changes over time.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

Ever since WoW was released, I've been less and less impressed with Blizzard and their work. SC2 was the first sure sign that they're no longer as strong as they used to be, and I consider it a creatively weak game. It's fantastic in a technical sense - but they have more money and time than they know what to do with - so that's almost a given. The worst part of SC2, for my part, was the mediocre writing. StarCraft had a good storyline - but SC2 smacks of B-level Hollywood dreck without the edge they used to have.

Diablo 3 will be the final test.

I suspect it will be a decent but mainstream game with a lot of emphasis on accessibility. I'm sure it will look fantastic and perform marvellously - but Diablo was about more than that. The gothic horror setting was powerful, and the storyline was actually pretty good - for what little of it there was. Ok, so it was more of a background lore thingy, but it worked well.

I honestly don't believe they're good designers anymore. They just use an endless iterative process, testing one unoriginal idea after the other - until everyone says it works. But if you don't start with a spark or a creative vision - you'll never achieve true greatness.

I know they think they have this brilliant concept of spending 5 years on every game, but sometimes it really helps if you know what the hell you're doing at the outset - and you don't NEED years of iterative shit.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Good luck in your future endeavors? People change jobs all the time, no need to overreact
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by KingofHartz

Good luck in your future endeavors? People change jobs all the time, no need to overreact

Honestly.  SBFord says "We basically know nothing about this guy, why he left, or what his motivation is.  Hey everybody, wildly guess, it might be important!"

Worst sort of thread.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Originally posted by Icewhite

Originally posted by KingofHartz

Honestly.  SBFord says "We basically know nothing about this guy, why he left, or what his motivation is.  Hey everybody, wildly guess, it might be important!"

Worst sort of thread.

Not true, we do in fact have a pretty good idea what a Senior Producer at Blizzard might be doing

Requirements

• A minimum of 4 years’ experience in the video game industry

• Must have shipped at least one AAA title in a senior producer role

• Able to communicate effectively with programming, design, art, and business personnel

• Experience managing teams, and delivering products on time

• Knowledge of software development processes, project management, and performance management

• Proven experience managing schedules, and employees to achieve desired results

• Experience with video game development pipelines and potential bottlenecks

• Exceptional inter-personal skills, oral, and written communication skills

• Able to facilitate, and mediate between members of the executive team, development teams, sound, cinematics, online technologies, quality assurance (QA), video production, marketing, and public relations (PR)

• Unrelenting self-motivation, and initiative

• Passion for video games (especially Blizzard Entertainment titles)

• surfer88surfer88 Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by clankyasp

who cares D3 going to be more successfull/money then SWTOR+GW2 combined.

D3 is an action fast paced hack and slash with endless amounts of loot... SWTOR is a sci-fi mmorpg and GW2 is a fantasy MMO... you have no credibility anymore please stop. back to topic, sucks but i think his job is already done on D3... prolly feels the way Blizzard is going it wont be big anymore... look for him going to A-net or possibly even SOE for eqnext? oh well just my predictions.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by surfer88

Originally posted by clankyasp

who cares D3 going to be more successfull/money then SWTOR+GW2 combined.

D3 is an action fast paced hack and slash with endless amounts of loot... SWTOR is a sci-fi mmorpg and GW2 is a fantasy MMO... you have no credibility anymore please stop. back to topic, sucks but i think his job is already done on D3... prolly feels the way Blizzard is going it wont be big anymore... look for him going to A-net or possibly even SOE for eqnext? oh well just my predictions.

Well first of all Diablo 3 is lobby multiplayer co-op hack&slash game and not mmorpg so it is comparing apples to oranges.

If we compare D3 to Swtor or GW2 ,we might as well start comparing it to BF3 or Fifa or LoL tbh :/

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by winter

Eyelolled was correct in stating that Blizzard no longer has what it takes to produce a QUALITY product. They're letting money dictate "success" rather than the players themselves dictate what is a success. It is absolutely unacceptable what they're doing to Diablo 3.

-Adding in RMT's to ruin the general experience. We play games like Diablo 3 to GET AWAY from RL stuff like money!!!!

-Bleeding concepts from WoW HEAVILY into Diablo 3, like that demon-hunter chick, as well as the "kiddy" art style is unacceptable. Go compare Diablo 1, Diablo 2, and now Diablo 3's artstyle. You'll notice how hardcore Diablo 1 was, and how moderately dark Diablo 2 was, and now Diablo 3's artstyle just looks like it's HelloKitty Online [Demon Edition]. Seriously, WTF happened here?!

Nothing forcs anyone to use the AH.Ifyou don't want it in your game just don't use it. The only one adversly affected by the AH really are the gold farmers and item seller sites out in the RL. and if your one of those i have no sympathy for you. I'll be happy to play D3 with a little Ah button off where i may or my not use to sell my itmes,and no Jerks spammming "BEST GOLD PICES YOU GO WOWOWMEGA GOLD.COM NOW WE LOVE U LONG TIME!

Yeah right.  The gold farmers benefit most from the AH because their activities have now been officially sanctioned by Blizzard.  They're f***ing partners now.  You think this is going to somehow magically stop them from farming the holy hell out of rare drops and monopolizing the auction system with a flood of cheap uniques?  Not likely.  They just have to give a cut of their business to a capo now.  Seeing how that their activity is now considered legitimate, the massive increase in potential customers should easily cover the cut off the top they owe to Blizzard.  Most of us have the common sense not to deal with gold selling scum.  Now, they're just another name on a long list of sellers.

As for simply choosing not to use the RMAH, that's technically true -- so long as you're willing to give up your chance at acquiring any ultra rare gear via trading for it, since the only place you're going to find it is on the RMAH.  That is of course, unless you win the loot lottery yourself.  Good luck with that.  Who is going to give away something with actual dollar value, for virtual gold?  No, they're going to sell it for whatever cash they can get for it.  The bright side is that the professional farmers will have driven the price on that stuff so low that it will be hard to make anything approaching decent coin on it.  If you're being forced to shell out cash for gear that is otherwise unobtainable, pending an RNG miracle, at least you should be able to do it without too much pain.

This game economy is about as solid as derivatives trading.  You're more than welcome to it.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by Unlight

Originally posted by winter

Eyelolled was correct in stating that Blizzard no longer has what it takes to produce a QUALITY product. They're letting money dictate "success" rather than the players themselves dictate what is a success. It is absolutely unacceptable what they're doing to Diablo 3.

-Adding in RMT's to ruin the general experience. We play games like Diablo 3 to GET AWAY from RL stuff like money!!!!

-Bleeding concepts from WoW HEAVILY into Diablo 3, like that demon-hunter chick, as well as the "kiddy" art style is unacceptable. Go compare Diablo 1, Diablo 2, and now Diablo 3's artstyle. You'll notice how hardcore Diablo 1 was, and how moderately dark Diablo 2 was, and now Diablo 3's artstyle just looks like it's HelloKitty Online [Demon Edition]. Seriously, WTF happened here?!

Nothing forcs anyone to use the AH.Ifyou don't want it in your game just don't use it. The only one adversly affected by the AH really are the gold farmers and item seller sites out in the RL. and if your one of those i have no sympathy for you. I'll be happy to play D3 with a little Ah button off where i may or my not use to sell my itmes,and no Jerks spammming "BEST GOLD PICES YOU GO WOWOWMEGA GOLD.COM NOW WE LOVE U LONG TIME!

Yeah right.  The gold farmers benefit most from the AH because their activities have now been officially sanctioned by Blizzard.  They're f***ing partners now.  You think this is going to somehow magically stop them from farming the holy hell out of rare drops and monopolizing the auction system with a flood of cheap uniques?  Not likely.  They just have to give a cut of their business to a capo now.  Seeing how that their activity is now considered legitimate, the massive increase in potential customers should easily cover the cut off the top they owe to Blizzard.  Most of us have the common sense not to deal with gold selling scum.  Now, they're just another name on a long list of sellers.

As for simply choosing not to use the RMAH, that's technically true -- so long as you're willing to give up your chance at acquiring any ultra rare gear via trading for it, since the only place you're going to find it is on the RMAH.  That is of course, unless you win the loot lottery yourself.  Good luck with that.  Who is going to give away something with actual dollar value, for virtual gold?  No, they're going to sell it for whatever cash they can get for it.  The bright side is that the professional farmers will have driven the price on that stuff so low that it will be hard to make anything approaching decent coin on it.  If you're being forced to shell out cash for gear that is otherwise unobtainable, pending an RNG miracle, at least you should be able to do it without too much pain.

This game economy is about as solid as derivatives trading.  You're more than welcome to it.

So which is it? Nobody will sell at the AH when they can make RL money on the item or the price is going to be so low that you cant make RL money it?  If as you say the gold farmers make items worthless then why wouldnt someone sell it for virtual money at the AH instead of selling it for near nothing?

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.