Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Senior Producer Exits Blizzard

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Diablo III Senior Producer Steve Parker has announced that he is leaving Blizzard after five years with the company. Parker sent this out via Twitter:

Hey Twitter, I'm no longer working at Blizzard or on D3. I've had a great 5 years there and those guys are going to kill it with Diablo.

After last week's blog post by Diablo III's Jay Wilson about all of the rather large system alterations for the game, one has to wonder if Parker is leaving over creative differences with Blizzard. What do you think?

Source: GGMania

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

His leaving quote would suggest the seperation was on amicable terms.

When Jeff Strain left Arena Net, it was because he was ambitious and wanted to start a new project. I imagine the same applies to a senior producer of Blizzard.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Sounds like a possible reason, hope he'll give more of a clue at some point as to why.

I can see why someone leaving doesn't want to leave on a bad note, as that could put himself in a bad light too, and become walls later at future job opportunities.

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

By the time D3 is released no one will care, it has taken way too long to hit the shelves and way to long to start making new changes at this point, i feel Blizzard made a big time mistake in allowing D3 to take so long, i honestly believe this game will be purchased by many but will not be played by many after 1 month, if you take a look at some of the titles coming out in 2012 D3 aside from the name it carries does not even closely resemble the promise of many other titles coming out this year.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Blizzard doesn't have it in them to produce a good quality game anymore. I'm glad I was able to enjoy Diablo II, and I'll let it end there.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by eyelolled

Blizzard doesn't have it in them to produce a good quality game anymore. I'm glad I was able to enjoy Diablo II, and I'll let it end there.

Oh come on, every game Blizzard releases is fantastic in its genre. I dislike WoW and its expansions but inside the universe its established, they are some of the best expansions there are. Starcraft 2 is sci-fi, which I don't like, but it's still the best traditional RTS released in years. Warcraft 3 is still being played competitively today and is up there with the best RTS games of all time. Diablo 3 is unlikely to do anything other than deliver a stellar experience in its genre. You're just bashing without arguments there.

I don't think this'll change much, the game is so close to being done his departure really doesnt matter. Not a game I'm particularly interested in anyway, but I wouldn't be concerned if I was.

• DerapDerap Member UncommonPosts: 19

Diablo 3 wont be as epic as we think it will.... dissapointing.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Originally posted by derap34

I'm a big D2 fan and I'm getting that same feeling. Long developement cycle, RMAH and the game isn't exactly looking that good. This guy's comments doesn't exactly give me that warm fuzzy feeling either. More stoked about Torchlight 2.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714

Originally posted by Isometrix

Oh come on, every game Blizzard releases is fantastic in its genre. I dislike WoW and its expansions but inside the universe its established, they are some of the best expansions there are. Starcraft 2 is sci-fi, which I don't like, but it's still the best traditional RTS released in years. Warcraft 3 is still being played competitively today and is up there with the best RTS games of all time. Diablo 3 is unlikely to do anything other than deliver a stellar experience in its genre. You're just bashing without arguments there.

I don't think this'll change much, the game is so close to being done his departure really doesnt matter. Not a game I'm particularly interested in anyway, but I wouldn't be concerned if I was.

The guy said they don't have it in them to release a good game ANYMORE and you go on and cite games released 7+ years ago (except SC2). I'm sure he agress that they did a damn good job on WoW (vanilla, at least) and WC3 and all the games before it, but like I said that was 7 years ago. It's unlikely that they will continue to be a such a powerhouse after 7 years of sitting on their laurels with WoW. They are billionaires and ikely dont have the drive they did in the late 90s-early 2000s. But I hope I'm wrong.

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

Blizzard remains a top notch gaming cie , just because someone leave doesnt mean it ends here , D3 will be a sucess i just want them to remove that silly AH with real money .

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Eyelolled was correct in stating that Blizzard no longer has what it takes to produce a QUALITY product. They're letting money dictate "success" rather than the players themselves dictate what is a success. It is absolutely unacceptable what they're doing to Diablo 3.

-Adding in RMT's to ruin the general experience. We play games like Diablo 3 to GET AWAY from RL stuff like money!!!!

-Bleeding concepts from WoW HEAVILY into Diablo 3, like that demon-hunter chick, as well as the "kiddy" art style is unacceptable. Go compare Diablo 1, Diablo 2, and now Diablo 3's artstyle. You'll notice how hardcore Diablo 1 was, and how moderately dark Diablo 2 was, and now Diablo 3's artstyle just looks like it's HelloKitty Online [Demon Edition]. Seriously, WTF happened here?!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• krawllkrawll Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by Mephster

I'm a big D2 fan and I'm getting that same feeling. Long developement cycle

I'm not saying D3 will be the bestedest game eva!.... but come on... you say you are a big D2 fan...do you remember how long it took Blizzard to release that game....the whispers and rumors circling about how the "disks were stolen". It took FOREVER for D2 to finally come out...and it was good. I can only hope for as much now.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

so is that the last guy who developed the wildly popular d2 to leave blizzard? does this mean no one from the original team is left? and this is not amicable his twit speaks volumes about how corrupt this company has become. Three weeks before release and they want to dumb it down for consoles AFTER everyone has already done the annual deal? Yeah that's great huh, we'll put that one up there with the company who downgraded the dollar recently being one of the main companies involved in giving false ratings to the bad loans that lead to the market recession in the first place. That's how corrupt that is.

Originally posted by krawll

Originally posted by Mephster

I'm a big D2 fan and I'm getting that same feeling. Long developement cycle

I'm not saying D3 will be the bestedest game eva!.... but come on... you say you are a big D2 fan...do you remember how long it took Blizzard to release that game....the whispers and rumors circling about how the "disks were stolen". It took FOREVER for D2 to finally come out...and it was good. I can only hope for as much now.

Well if world of warcraft's next expansion is any indication i have a feeling that you and i are going to be VERY disappointed when this is launched.

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Eyelolled was correct in stating that Blizzard no longer has what it takes to produce a QUALITY product. They're letting money dictate "success" rather than the players themselves dictate what is a success. It is absolutely unacceptable what they're doing to Diablo 3.

-Adding in RMT's to ruin the general experience. We play games like Diablo 3 to GET AWAY from RL stuff like money!!!!

-Bleeding concepts from WoW HEAVILY into Diablo 3, like that demon-hunter chick, as well as the "kiddy" art style is unacceptable. Go compare Diablo 1, Diablo 2, and now Diablo 3's artstyle. You'll notice how hardcore Diablo 1 was, and how moderately dark Diablo 2 was, and now Diablo 3's artstyle just looks like it's HelloKitty Online [Demon Edition]. Seriously, WTF happened here?!

They got dollar signs in their eyeballs instead of rose colored glasses of bada$$ness. Gone are all the devs that made D1 and D2 great games, the only one left has just left the building apparently and you and i both know it will be a disappointment when it releases.

• SinleaSinlea Member Posts: 1

I think it's quite relevant - changing "kill it" to "are going to do an amazing job". Of course you might say that "evil Blizzard" forced him to clarify, but it still should be added to the news :p
  • AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Let's hope he can find a decent project or career, because in today's economy , it's tough out there.
  • CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

I can't help but chuckle at the fact that so many people automatically assume that Diablo 3 will be amazing because Blizzard is making it. None of the relevant people who worked on Diablo 1 & 2 have done any work on DIablo 3, because they don't work for Blizzard anymore.

I'm not saying that Diablo 3 will be bad, rather that there is just as much chance for it to be terrible as there is for it to be good. It's being made by a completely different team of developers with a potentially very different design philosophy and vision for the game. That's been made pretty apparent to me with many of the game features that have been announced.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Originally posted by Ozreth

Originally posted by Isometrix

The guy said they don't have it in them to release a good game ANYMORE and you go on and cite games released 7+ years ago (except SC2). I'm sure he agress that they did a damn good job on WoW (vanilla, at least) and WC3 and all the games before it, but like I said that was 7 years ago. It's unlikely that they will continue to be a such a powerhouse after 7 years of sitting on their laurels with WoW. They are billionaires and ikely dont have the drive they did in the late 90s-early 2000s. But I hope I'm wrong.

Exactly. I used to be a huge fan of Blizzard. They were the dev that all other devs should aspire to be. That is just not the case anymore. Not by a long shot. And SC2 should have been a hell of a lot better then it was. I don't know any specific numbers but from my understanding, SC is still more popular then SC2.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• NameWasTakenNameWasTaken Member Posts: 132

Originally posted by salenger

By the time D3 is released no one will care

True, the game is pretty much done, programmers come and go, who gives a rats arse who Steve Parker was anyway. Just hire some indian import for half the money, pretty much just as good.

• XxjagoxXXxjagoxX Member Posts: 148

Ummm, So what?

• DeeterDeeter Member UncommonPosts: 135

Wow he must have gotten a job offer at Valve because why on earth would you willingly quit a job at BLIZZARD of all places.

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

I don't think D3 is going to be worth the 60 Bucks honestly.  Acticrap wouldn't give it away free if they didn't think they would make money from the free copies. Which means to me they want as many playing it as possible not from the income stream of game sales, but the higher income profit margin from RMT sales. Yeah instant pass for me right there. Later D-3.

When Starcraft was released it was insane good. I got a game with 3 factions and a decent story for 50 bucks. And played it for ...shit I played it a few days ago honestly. Warcraft Orcs and Humans. WC2 (my personal favorite) Look at WC2 compared to WC3. Im sorry if it offends anyone but I think WC2 beats the fuck out of WC3.

Fast forward to the last game released by Blizz and I got a 3 faction game with only one faction in it and some excuse about balance bs. So now I guess I have to buy 3 discs for one game now...Yeah .......And SC1 was better anyway (subjective)

Blizzard was the "Game" company when I was getting started in gaming. If they made it , it was worth buying. Not so  anymore. They make very nice polished working games. But the FUN factor is second fiddle to "mainstream cash generating gameplay schemes) as opposed to any inspiration in gaming.

Blizzard sold out a long time ago. If it doesn't have a -2, -3 or expansion after it.... I just don't think they have the artistic talent to make anything new any better than any other studio out there at the moment. Just because I have a Ferrari in the garage that the last owner left me, doesn't mean I can build a new one for you with my sears toolbox.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Would be awesome if people could read the OP and stick to the topic, so other people wouldn't have to read through 90 posts of shit from angry nerds with a grudge.

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213

who cares D3 going to be more successfull/money then SWTOR+GW2 combined.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Originally posted by Serelisk

His leaving quote would suggest the seperation was on amicable terms.

When Jeff Strain left Arena Net, it was because he was ambitious and wanted to start a new project. I imagine the same applies to a senior producer of Blizzard.

Well , no

First - they are obligated by contract to keep quiet about real reasons. Plus , company can easily deny to pay all kind of severance bonuses if he doesnt play good with PR section.

And as for Jeff Strain. It was not few weeks before launch of project he worked on 5 years.

Do you know that these guys are supposed to get large bonuses if game is sucessful (that is how it works in game industry)

He was fired