Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Exodus of Republic from SWTOR!

Comments

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

Originally posted by outfctrl

I dont understand why more players want to play Sith?  Is it just because they look cool or do they have an advantage over the Republic?

Doesn't make sense

I play Republic, though I am only level 14 and I ma having a blast.

Many just hate playing the "good guy". 

• zencommandozencommando Member Posts: 33

Is this "mass exodus" on just pvp servers. Because the pve server on which I play has been busier than usual the last couple days.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

I dont understand why more players want to play Sith?  Is it just because they look cool or do they have an advantage over the Republic?

Doesn't make sense

well theres this Sith vs Jedi  you really can't see why?

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Doesn't make sense

Better storylines, cooler abilities, and quicker animations (i.e. look at Death from Above and the mirror Mortar Volley, Death from Above looks better and starts the damage quicker than mortar volley does, so there is an actual gameplay advantage from the empire side).

• DigitallyEndowedDigitallyEndowed Member Posts: 125

So much drama. It's nonsense. There is no mass exodus. When you browse the forums you see many negative threads, and this sets a theme, but it does not mean that this theme is accurate. It is merely a hyperbolic representation of people’s concerns, fears etc.

People on the forums tend to get very emotional, they exaggerate, blow things significantly out of proportion. The most extreme threads are made by a small but very vocal minority.

For every person who quits the game, there are countless others staying and playing. The only difference is that the person who quits may post about it on the forums. This creates a false overview. It’s the same with general feedback. If someone has a negative experience, for whatever reasons, they are significantly more likely to post about it on the forums then someone who has had a comparatively positive experience.

The controversy surrounding the recent Ilum blunder had exasperated this. Nothing more, nothing less. There’s no mass exodus. In fact, the amount of people who have quit the game in light of the Ilum fiasco is very likely to be absolutely insignificant.

• Amphib_IanAmphib_Ian Member Posts: 170

Originally posted by misles

No where in the description of the game did I read where Star Wars: The Old Republic was a PvP centric game.  There is PvP in it.  But the last time I checked, it was a STORY DRIVEN MMORPG.  *looks at the words* Nope.  Don't see PvP Centric in there anywhere.

But honestly, not that I have a problem with PvP'ers, but are you suprised they cry so bad?  10 to 1 says the Republic just rolled Empire.

Yes, thank you, next question.

OH OH i see it! it's right there!!!! (highlighted in red) it's called star WARS LOL, right in the title bro! The entire IP is based around 2 factions (so in this case it's probably right to keep a 2 faction system even though it sucks irrefutably) that are consumed by war over control of the galaxy. the EVIL empire against the NOT empire. or perhaps light side against dark side.

but yeah, star WARS, not star trek (journey). nor is it star peace, or lunar 2: silver Star Story complete.

i do not 

Thank You!

and please do not 

Come again!

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by zencommando

Is this "mass exodus" on just pvp servers. Because the pve server on which I play has been busier than usual the last couple days.

If you take a look at http://www.swtorarena.com/statistics/ you'll have a hard time explaining those numbers as "busier than usual". That's just population of course. It is theoretically possible that they are keeping subs rather well and that those still playing are simply playing less, even if it's not unusual for P2P games to see a significant drop after the first month.

Still servers are certainly not busier than ever the last few days, that much should be clear.

imageimage
  • sirchivesirchive Member UncommonPosts: 72

When I started SWTOR I fully intended to play only the Republic side.

But now I'm actually only playing the Imperial side. Same for my wife.

We felt the Imperial side had more interesting characters, better voice-acting, more adult and better written storylines, better looking armor and in general a better feeling of style and character.

The Republic storylines were painfully childish at time. And with the Jedi especially they really missed the boat. The Jedi starting zone is simply bad.

Also we love the companion system and the starting Imperial companions are far more interesting than the Republic ones.

So it's not so simple as "more people want to play the bad guys".

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by sbarra1x

People on the forums tend to get very emotional, they exaggerate, blow things significantly out of proportion. The most extreme threads are made by a small but very vocal minority.

pretty much same can be said about the extreme fanboys and there posts as well but i agree.. its no suprise republic is the less played faction every single MMO I have played that had a light and dark side, dark side outnumbered light by a decent amount on the majority of servers.. there was generally more horde than alliance, more defiant than guardian,  more Asmodians than Elyos(but at least there was a third faction to alleviate this some), and so on.. by 2012 you would think dev's would get the picture 2 faction pvp just does not work well.. thing is 3rd faction doesn't even have to be a playable faction if done right it can certainly work as a npc faction which they could of incorportated into this game if planned out better.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

No where in the description of the game did I read where Star Wars: The Old Republic was a PvP centric game.  There is PvP in it.  But the last time I checked, it was a STORY DRIVEN MMORPG.  *looks at the words* Nope.  Don't see PvP Centric in there anywhere.

But honestly, not that I have a problem with PvP'ers, but are you suprised they cry so bad?  10 to 1 says the Republic just rolled Empire.

I also never read that it was a pve centric game either.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Don't really care, I didn't roll on a pvp server, because open world pvp and super rails do not mix....As it has become apparant neither do individual story and mmo, atleast done this way.

I think the design is flawed, and I don't see what they will do to fix that, they got 2-3 months to do something....The current big plans sure don't look to change the design problem....What I see as a problem, others may love...just my opinion.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

The bad guys have all the fun.

• zencommandozencommando Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by JoeyMMO

If you take a look at http://www.swtorarena.com/statistics/ you'll have a hard time explaining those numbers as "busier than usual". That's just population of course. It is theoretically possible that they are keeping subs rather well and that those still playing are simply playing less, even if it's not unusual for P2P games to see a significant drop after the first month.

Still servers are certainly not busier than ever the last few days, that much should be clear.

Thanks for the stats. I didn't word my post in the best way. Overall, the population may be down but it seems like the fleet has been busier, people are looking for groups more and it seems there is more chat in general. Maybe the people who left weren't very social to begin with? Just curious because the social aspect feels better lately.

• teoyaomiquiteoyaomiqui Member Posts: 98

Originally posted by sirchive

We felt the Imperial side had more interesting characters, better voice-acting, more adult and better written storylines, better looking armor and in general a better feeling of style and character.

The Republic storylines were painfully childish at time. And with the Jedi especially they really missed the boat. The Jedi starting zone is simply bad.

Also we love the companion system and the starting Imperial companions are far more interesting than the Republic ones.

I've played republic only, I didn't like the gameplay or the story, played smuggler. Why i didn't like so called 'story', is because there was none, it was omg - my ship is stolen i am stupid and left keys in the ignition..., run after the thief, go kill that guy, go talk to that guy, go click that item period, i mean, i've read books, i've seen movies, and i have to say, i can't even name any title that has worse story, it was a lot of voice over, it was a lot of cut scenes, but certainly - no story.

pardon me for bad english.

Originally posted by JoeyMMO

Thanks for the stats. I didn't word my post in the best way. Overall, the population may be down but it seems like the fleet has been busier, people are looking for groups more and it seems there is more chat in general. Maybe the people who left weren't very social to begin with? Just curious because the social aspect feels better lately.

So you wanted to say this:

Is this "mass exodus" on just pvp servers. Because the pve server chats on which I play has been busier than usual the last couple days.

• bfpiercelkbfpiercelk Member UncommonPosts: 47

Originally posted by teoyaomiqui

I've played republic only, I didn't like the gameplay or the story, played smuggler. Why i didn't like so called 'story', is because there was none, it was omg - my ship is stolen i am stupid and left keys in the ignition..., run after the thief, go kill that guy, go talk to that guy, go click that item period, i mean, i've read books, i've seen movies, and i have to say, i can't even name any title that has worse story, it was a lot of voice over, it was a lot of cut scenes, but certainly - no story.

pardon me for bad english

Twilight

and the whole "run after thief, go kill blah blah blah", pretty common for MMO's. Can't think of a single one that doesn't follow that pattern aside from the sandboxes.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    It was only the inevitable,empire grossly outnumbers repubs.I love the the attitude of the empire players "shut up and just let us ream you while we have a gay ol time and you don't"
  • teoyaomiquiteoyaomiqui Member Posts: 98

Originally posted by bfpiercelk

Originally posted by teoyaomiqui

pardon me for bad english

Twilight

and the whole "run after thief, go kill blah blah blah", pretty common for MMO's. Can't think of a single one that doesn't follow that pattern aside from the sandboxes.

And because EA/Bioware's main "catch/next gen/revolutionary" was the story...

You'r story is: "run after thief, go kill blah blah blah"

Yea... Great story... for 12 year old

• starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230

here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTgbKxnHIdw

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

I've just logged in and I assume the "free month" is up . This is peak time in the EU .

48 heavy load servers and the rest are standard load servers .

Not one single low server .

Actually this isn't what I was expecting at all because quite frankly I don't rate the game as being that brilliant and decided to cancel my sub for a few months and see what it was like then .

I was quite frankly expecting to see a massive drop off and low servers everywhere .

But if anything its growing in numbers . I quite frankly thought Bioware had got it totally wrong but maybe they havn't after all .

• AzariaAzaria Member Posts: 318

Now you're learning the hard lesson I told Bioware fans to be ready for. An mmorpg is not a single player game. There will either have to be heavy focus on PVP or PVE in some form. All the VO in the world and story blah blah doesn't ammount to a hill of beans in the online gaming world. It's called Fluff and now you see what happens when you make Fluff the backbone of your game, it bombs.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Originally posted by Azaria

Now you're learning the hard lesson I told Bioware fans to be ready for. An mmorpg is not a single player game. There will either have to be heavy focus on PVP or PVE in some form. All the VO in the world and story blah blah doesn't ammount to a hill of beans in the online gaming world. It's called Fluff and now you see what happens when you make Fluff the backbone of your game, it bombs.

I really was expecting it to bomb as well but as I said in my previous post thats not at all whay I'm seeing ( this is assuming the first month it up today ?)

• niteflynitefly Member Posts: 340

Off topic:

I wish all MMOs gave the possibility of getting statistics like those http://www.swtorarena.com/statistics/ harvest.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Originally posted by Azaria

Sorry, but it hasn't bombed.  Maybe in your own little world it was a hysteria minefield, but in reality, no.  Far from bombing, it's done quite well.

Next.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

You really don't get it do you?  This has also a huge impact on the PVE experience!

As good luck finding other people to do Flashpoints and Full group missions!

Since this week I notice it myself, as Republic player, that it's a total pain in the butt right now to find people to group with. So I am basically not doing any flashpoints, plus forced to just skip all the group missions and run some Space missions instead to make up for the loss in XP!

/facepalm

• Anyone playing this game for PvP as a maority share of their interest must have sustained a serious blow to the head at some point.

I mean seriously anyone with any true interest in PvP beyond ganking should be able tell it would be mediocre at best.