Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where did all the money go?

13»

Comments

• illorionillorion Member Posts: 467

Originally posted by smh_alot

Originally posted by illorion

Originally posted by fenistil

Full VO , cutscenes and alot of marketting.  SW license is not cheap either.

Seem like they invested in everything but not in mmorpg parts of game...

Another thing could be that they are very ineffeficiant at spending or that those huge sums of money that are supposedly spent on Swtor are marketting bullshit and in reality they've spent less.

See this why I started this thread... for a educated discussion...

From what I can gather I would now say that they probably spent a whole lot of money for that hero engine... plus the VA's 

I would assume that is where the bulk of the money went....

After that its just a series of one bad disicsion after another... 

Like hiring a dev team with a track record of failure to do your PvP for you

Hmm. Sorry, but to me it just sounded like you wanted to hear someone agree with you, imho >.> Apologies if my idea is incorrect.

But ok, let's apply logic to the arguments in the quoted post here, shall we?

No one knows the cost of VO, cutscenes and marketing that TOR used. However, other AAA MMO's use and used lots of VO/cutscenes and had budgets that come fairly close to general AAA MMO budgets.

No one knows what the development budget is for TOR, analists' reports range from 80 million dollars to an absurd 500 million dollars, but most are in the 80-130 million dollar range. Also, as good as all AAA MMO budgets were around the 40-60 million dollars.

As for what'd cost money: people seem to forget that world design and content on it takes up a lot of resources too. The Vanguard developers skipped on fully creating a third continent, bc designing the other 2 continents took up a hell of a lot more time and resources than they'd expected, making them resort to a string of islands due to deadlines. Now, Rift has a tiny world, the size of Outland, which made the Trion guys save some time and resources (and thus money) to create their world. TOR however has a total worldsize that required designing that easily equals and even surpasses WoW and LotrO. That's like 10 times the worldsize of a Rift, and in themepark MMO's that takes a lot more resources and time (and money) than just procedural generation as sometimes seen in non-themepark MMO's.

So, here you go, an opinion that isn't in full alignment with your own, but still a contribution to the discussion you wanted to hold in this thread. Unless this is nothing but a hidden agenda and a camouflaged TOR bashing thread, but that's not an assumption I'm going for :-)

No no i was being serious... no saracsm at all there honestly... I was agreeing with you... the internetz though... they make everyone seem like an asshole.... sorry i didnt edit for clarity

"Don't mistake a fun game for a good game... Checkers is fun to play but its not exactly the highest point of gaming design... and definatly not worth $60 plus $15 a month"

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336

I tired to find that 80 - 130 million figure but I can't all i can find are estimates from the business analyst at 125 - 200 million... still far less that the half a billion that some people are claiming but still up there none the less.

Im sure that GW2 does have a some limit to their budget... but I wouldnt hesistate to think they have spent well over 100million on it. I mean they have a huge team of people working on it... hell they have over 100 artist working on it alone...so im sure the actual figure is up there.

63 million was spent to develop Vanilla WoW and that was 7 years ago

Now people expectations are way up there... 125 million is only double the cost... its really not that crazy

I think alot of that money goes to advertising and promotial events. Blizzard also made their own engine and BW apparently made a lo of changes to Hero engine so that might be expensive too. Still the numbers seem too high.

But what others say that most of $100-$150 mil. went for voice acting in SWOTR is a silly claim. Voice actors are not that expensive and you would need 1.000 actors payed $60,000 each to read few lines in order to make that  $60 million which is about the half of all the costs. In reality it's closer to 200(actors)x$20,000(avg)=$4 mil.

Originally posted by smh_alot

Now people expectations are way up there... 125 million is only double the cost... its really not that crazy

Sure, but AAA MMORPG's like AoC, DCUO and Rift also had merely a 40-50 million dollar budget, and those all came after WoW.

Your right they did.... and they didn't do so well did they?

So maybe they thought... up the budget... past what WoW had... is the best way to beat them

"Don't mistake a fun game for a good game... Checkers is fun to play but its not exactly the highest point of gaming design... and definatly not worth $60 plus $15 a month"

Originally posted by SanHor

I tired to find that 80 - 130 million figure but I can't all i can find are estimates from the business analyst at 125 - 200 million... still far less that the half a billion that some people are claiming but still up there none the less.

Im sure that GW2 does have a some limit to their budget... but I wouldnt hesistate to think they have spent well over 100million on it. I mean they have a huge team of people working on it... hell they have over 100 artist working on it alone...so im sure the actual figure is up there.

I think alot of that money goes to advertising and promotial events. Blizzard also made their own engine and BW apparently made a lo of changes to Hero engine so that might be expensive too. Still the numbers seem too high.

But what others say that most of $100-$150 mil. went for voice acting in SWOTR is a silly claim. Voice actors are not that expensive and you would need 1.000 actors payed $60,000 each to read few lines in order to make that  $60 million which is about the half of all the costs. In reality it's closer to 200(actors)x$20,000(avg)=$4 mil.

Im certainly not in the boat of someone who think they actually spent 500mil on the game.

Everyone says that other MMO's only used 40 - 60 mil to develop so that what Swtor used but they keep forgetting that those 40 - 60 mil MMO's didnt make it very far did they?

So for BW/EA to say "okay we are really gonna have to sink some serious cash into this... more than any developer has before" is not really all the crazy IMO

For now until I see the actual number I will choose to believe the 125 - 200 mill figure as that seems the most plausible to me.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Seriously, I just feel that this game cost around 50 mill cos the product itself is very dated.

Design, graphics, gameplay even VO feels slacking.

I got the feeling BW/EA already make a ton of money lol.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

Originally posted by xmenty

Seriously, I just feel that this game cost around 50 mill cos the product itself is very dated.

ooooooo......

i never thought of that.

Step 1. Make a MMO and "leak" information that it has the biggest budget of any game ever made

Step 2. Spend only a small fraction on it

Step 3. Sell millions of boxes at 60 a pop

Step 4. ?????

Step 5. Profit

• OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196

Originally posted by xmenty

ooooooo......

i never thought of that.

Step 1. Make a MMO and "leak" information that it has the biggest budget of any game ever made

Step 2. Spend only a small fraction on it

Step 3. Sell millions of boxes at 60 a pop

Step 4. ?????

Step 5. Profit

I dont know where it went, it didt make it to gameplay thats for sure.

Swtor screams lazy on all fronts, graphic decision combat decision world decision pvp decision. story is ok, seems great since rest of the game is so meh.

I was never eager to play Swtor, but i did think i would get 2 months out of it and not 2 weeks.