Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: $100 Million in Revenue in 2011

Comments

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

I don't play Rift, I never resubbed after my first month.

But I must say that I'm happy for Rift, or should I say Trion. Rift is by all means a good game and  it's success warms my heart. :)

Who knows, some day I might resub.. ;)

• TenebrosoTenebroso Member Posts: 262
    Awesome news! Rift is awesome and Trion always came through for me.

Now how about taking the EQ IP out of SOEs hands and revamping it? :-)
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Isaralas

Originally posted by katmuks

they never planned to be a wow killer... i tell you what they planned though, to be a wow clone 

How is having dynamic content a clone of a game where everything is boring and static? :|

Perhaps refering to the fact that much of it is very much the same formula as every other mmo.

Oh and the whole planur invasion thing WoW did with the launch of every ex pack so far...  There was two undead plauge invasions to launch each Naxxramus, which had very similar to Rift's invasions, and then an elemental invasion for Cata.

Just guessing as to what he ment.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Originally posted by VikingGamer

I think Rift shows that you don't have to be a WoW killer to turn a profit. Smart stratagy, great execution, solid customer service.

Great news, yes there is room for "the little guy".

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

Congrats! Always liked the game and intend to go back to it at some point.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

hope they made a little profit out of that anyhow, congrats Trion.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

Originally posted by smh_alot

Really people, doesn't sound so strange at all. Didn't they report 1 million sales half a year back?

1mil * 50 dollar (euro even more) = 50 million dollars revenues already

Let's say that player retention in the first 3 months was at least 500k, that's 500k * 3 * $15 = 22.5 million dollars already.

Make some additional calculations, and you'll see how easy it is to reach 100 million dollars in revenues, which ofc isn't the same as 100 million dollars profit. All costs have to be subtracted first for that.

Pretty much this. 100mil is really on the low side of what I would have expected and, a distinction that many here seems to miss, does not by any means represent actual profit.

Beyond that, the lack of population numbers continues to be more than telling.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Good. They deserve it. Trion made a great mmorpg and continue to give us value for out money. Still having a blast in this game.
  • avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

This company knows customer service and that has contributed to their success.

• Originally posted by Sukiyaki

100Million for a 100% Western release, in its hometurf, including launch boxsales, is hardly "fantastic" and only the fact it accounted just 10 months not 12 and its their technical first one as a company, actually make it okay-good.

the game hasn't been out for 12 months. actual release date was March 1st with a head start on Fed 24th.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Trion's customer service and developer feedback is really what drives this game up the ladder. Exceptional and well done.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213

Blizzard makes a lot more then Trion in a Month..lololol.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki

Someone should put this into context, before acting all impressed.
    In favor: Rift was released at beginning of March thus only had 10 month worth of time to generate revenues in 2011.
    Against:  Rift however was also released in 2011. Initial boxsales where 100% included into those revenues.  A sold box before and during launch was priced at about 4 times the price of a sub. It was at its primetime of popularity.
    Initial boxsales likely made a large chunk of that money, I guess about half of it. It has left a fraction of its launchplayerbase. Next year revenues will be even smaller fraction of this one.

Now compare it to another MMORPG besides WoW, which it isnt even close to...

Aion despite mainly present in weaker/partly much weaker currency Eastern nations (lower revenue per player)
    ...made +200 Million US$ global revenues in 2009
    ...made +200 Million US$ global revenues in 2010
    ...already announced +150 M global revenues in first 3/4 part of 2011 and likely has made +200 again at the end of 2011 which will be published next month.
    About 50 M or more of each year is made by regular Western subs/sales even after 2 years and no help of launch boxsales. 100M was reached about 6-7months after launch.

100Million for a 100% Western release, in its hometurf, including launch boxsales, is hardly "fantastic" and only the fact it accounted just 10 months not 12 and its their technical first one as a company, actually make it okay-good.

Impressive data gathering, without a doubt, I like it when people use hard data and figures, far too much conjecture and emotional pandering seen around these forums, so things like this are a breath of fresh air ^^

A question though: that Aion achieved 200-250 million dollar revenues in 2010 I knew, but where did you get the information that 50 million of it has a western origin? And is this purely the NA/EU servers?
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I'm happy for Trion and glad to see a rookie dev team step up and show the world how its done.  Its really sad when you look at veteran teams like SOE and Cryptic who have to go F2P because their games lack content or imagination.  I just dont understand how people with all that experience can be so out of touch with the gaming community while startups like Trion get so much right.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by tyrannis

Polished game by rookie MMO team. Nothing more than to say than congrats.

+1: many larger names couldn't even accomplish this. While I personally don't care for Rift, Trion is a very hardworking group and other devs should be held to the same standards.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

No rift is failing obviously, this can't be true! /neighsayer

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Trion still has my for best mmo team. Blizzard, EA, etc could learn a few things. Then again the mom n pop dives are always better than McDs too, so maybe that idea doesnt just apply to video games. Even though I dont play Rift, its the best themepark out there atm, even better than swtor imo.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Shivam

Originally posted by Entropy14

Yes this is awesome news, with Rift making huge amounts of profit, this means we can see this style of themepark games for years to come, AWESOME looking forward to 20 more years of the same type of unchallenging linear mindless games, WOOT !!!!

Different strokes for different folks. For all the themepark MMOS you get there are also  non themepark MMOS for players who enjoy sandbox / hybrid style gameplay.

Is it that hard to find something to enjoy?

Name me one non-indy sandbox MMORPG released in the last five years.

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

I think Rift shows that you don't have to be a WoW killer to turn a profit. Smart stratagy, great execution, solid customer service.

+1

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Or alternatively that it doesn't take much for an MMO to turn a profit.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Originally posted by troublmaker

Or alternatively that it doesn't take much for an MMO to turn a profit.

Yeah, just your average run of the mill makes 100m in revenue in 10 months.  Oh yeah it's easy..pfft

Anwyays, grats to Trion.  I preordered the Rift CE, played a month and that was it for me, but it was a solid, polished game.  Customer service, the very few times I dealt with them were solid too.  Good game, not my cup of tea, but wish them the best regardless.

• UnSubUnSub Member Posts: 252

Originally posted by Gel214th

That is absolutely fantastic news! I love RIFT!! :-)

Wonder what the profit on that gross revenue is?

Anyone with inside info on how much MMOs cost to run and what the margins are usually like?

WoW has a profit ratio of 40% to 50%, depending on the year.

I suspect that few MMOs are in that same ballpark, and would be closer to 15 - 25% (obviously that is heaviliy dependent on the size of the player base and game costs). Plus a lot of those profits need to go straight back into the game to ensure its further development.