Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: $100 Million in Revenue in 2011

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to an interview with Reuters, Trion Worlds' Lars Buttler has confirmed that Rift has generated $100 million in its first ten months. In addition, Trion Worlds has acquired $85 million in new funding revenue that will likely be used for future property acquisition or licensing.

"Rift" the company's first title, which came out last year, generated $100 million in revenue in 10 months in 2011. Lars said the game is profitable and makes money from players who buy the game, pay monthly subscription fees and purchase virtual items.

Rift will be launching across Asia later in 2012.

Via GamesIndustry.biz and Reuters

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

good news :)

edit:

Too put this in perspective, original production costs were around 50 million dollars.

• Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188

That is absolutely fantastic news! I love RIFT!! :-)

Wonder what the profit on that gross revenue is?

Anyone with inside info on how much MMOs cost to run and what the margins are usually like?

At any rate...sounds like RIFT will be around for a few more years.

Now....where's my expansion pack! ^_^ 

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

expansion pack is rumoured to be coming this spring/summer.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Awesome news for Rift fans.  Even while doing HUGE discounts on their client, they still made strong revenue.  I think that was one of the things that killed prior MMO's.  Even as WAR was bleeding subs like a stuck... sub pig, they were still wanting 30-40 bucks for their client.  Pricing cuts and a strong update schedule keeps people coming in.  

Congrats, folks!

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I think Rift shows that you don't have to be a WoW killer to turn a profit. Smart stratagy, great execution, solid customer service.

All die, so die well.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Rift not my type of game ,but Trion is company that treat it's consumers fine (up until now at least) so grats to them that Rift is profitable :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Thats good news. The Trion team works hard and it has paid off for them.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

Trion is a fantastic company glad they are doing so well. If i wasn't into the story of SWTOR i would probably be playing Rift right now.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Rift's subscription number is under 250,000. I wonder how they got so much "Revenue" last year?

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Rift's subscription number is under 250,000. I wonder how they got so much "Revenue" last year?

Quit blowing smoke out your .....you know.  You have NO idea of sub numbers for the game.

Congrats for the Trion team...many happy returns!

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

That's great news for Trion. I personally didn't like the game, but I'm glad others did.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Maybe they're counting that extra $85mil as part of it

• MyPreciousssMyPreciousss Member Posts: 427

Well deserved and surely well invested.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by Karahandras

Maybe they're counting that extra $85mil as part of it

LOL excellent point!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The two numbers are completely separate from one another.

$100 in REVENUE as in money earned.

$85 million in NEW FUNDING as in money to spend.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Really people, doesn't sound so strange at all. Didn't they report 1 million sales half a year back?

1mil * 50 dollar (euro even more) = 50 million dollars revenues already

Let's say that player retention in the first 3 months was at least 500k, that's 500k * 3 * $15 = 22.5 million dollars already.

Make some additional calculations, and you'll see how easy it is to reach 100 million dollars in revenues, which ofc isn't the same as 100 million dollars profit. All costs have to be subtracted first for that.
  • Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Yes this is awesome news, with Rift making huge amounts of profit, this means we can see this style of themepark games for years to come, AWESOME looking forward to 20 more years of the same type of unchallenging linear mindless games, WOOT !!!!

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Originally posted by Entropy14

Yes this is awesome news, with Rift making huge amounts of profit, this means we can see this style of themepark games for years to come, AWESOME looking forward to 20 more years of the same type of unchallenging linear mindless games, WOOT !!!!

Different strokes for different folks. For all the themepark MMOS you get there are also  non themepark MMOS for players who enjoy sandbox / hybrid style gameplay.

Is it that hard to find something to enjoy?

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• tyrannistyrannis Member Posts: 198

Polished game by rookie MMO team. Nothing more than to say than congrats.

##Best SWTOR of 2011
    Posted by I_Return - SWTOR - "Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit" "Greatest MMO Ever Created"

##Fail Thread Title of 2011
    Originally posted by daveospice
    "this game looks like crap?"

• Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188

Originally posted by Shivam

Originally posted by Entropy14

Different strokes for different folks. For all the themepark MMOS you get there are also  non themepark MMOS for players who enjoy sandbox / hybrid style gameplay.

Is it that hard to find something to enjoy?

Actually I feel in general MMOs are difficult to recommend to most casual players.

In the past they have deliberately included mind numbing game mechanics to extend subscription fees. Everytime I play a single player RPG I think how much crap we accept in MMOs simply because we've been told this is the way an MMO *must* be. 

Just one example playing Kingdom of Amalur was the travel time. I could sprint forever to get where I have to go, or open a large map and fast Travel.

Did it prevent me from appreciating the world? Hardly.

Did I feel I got everywhere too quickly? Not at all. It greatly helped my enjoyment. I loved it. I got to my missions, and when I wanted to I just walked/sprinted through the zone to explore it and harvest resources etc. The key being when I CHOSE to.

But in MMOs we accept mounts at X Level, and slow walking before that. We accept long overland travel times where we do nothing but watch the screen. And we accept having to do this every single play session. Once in World of Warcraft I clocked I had spent 30 minutes of my 1 hour play time travelling back and forth turning in quests, going to an auction house and heading back. Half my playing time had been spent just watching a fricking bird fly or a boat sail. To some this is wonderful, to me it is pointless after I have seen it once or twice. And if I had to go through that in Skyrim or Kingdoms of Amalur I'd find something else to play or mod the game  

I don't know how different subscription based Sandbox MMOs would be. In my view Time = More Profit, so all developers are working to extend the Time users spend on existing content, to make more money from their development costs.

I am so looking forward to Guild Wars 2, as their business model offers no reward to the developer for frustrating the player ;-P

MMOs are fun, but the underlying game mechanics prevent them from having a wider audience and being even more engaging in my opinion.

EDIT:

You are correct though...new models are coming out and have been released. Such as Champions Online (Fast travel from the start) , City of Heroes, Guild Wars 2, The Secret World etc. SO yes, in today's market you can find something to satisfy you in the MMO space. I just think in general most are sticking to the decades old forumla.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

This is what happens when a game launches when its ready, not early, has few bugs, a great dev team and regular meaningful content updates.

Congrats to the Dev team, very well deserved indeed.  

• katmukskatmuks Member Posts: 1

they never planned to be a wow killer... i tell you what they planned though, to be a wow clone 

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

A start up company made a significant profit.  Obtained 85 million more in funding.

This is a massive success for Trion Worlds.  Good for them.  Anyone whom is an adult realizes that and it's irrefutable.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298

Originally posted by katmuks

they never planned to be a wow killer... i tell you what they planned though, to be a wow clone 

How is having dynamic content a clone of a game where everything is boring and static? :|