Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think will happen to the Ilum exploiters?

Comments

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Having no safe spawn area is pretty noob. I imagine the Republic is dropping like flies.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595

After going through some threads on the Bioware forms apparently the main issue is spawn camping also people are stating that the turrets are not worth any valor. The reason the original thread was closed was all of the comments and the misinformation if your curious as to what is really going on check out more of the threads on the official forums. Right now all we can see is what will happen next.

Many MMO companies have had issues at launch trying to get it right exactly. So far enjoying this game more than vanilla wow with less issues IMO so I will be here for a long time not sure why everyone is so impatient with this game it's not even a month old yet really.....

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251

Originally posted by BadSpock

At this rate TOR is a good 5-6 months away from living up the potential, but the real question is going to be whether or not people will stick around that long and whether or not those 5-6 months are "good" months of growth or more and more issues like today.

so was AoC :P

seriously, someone tell me why exactly should i resub for this one, now that im done with the story. Everything except the story is actually much better done in countless other games, and this pvp 'issue' really nailed it for me. Unless they do a rollback :D 

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by Zekiah

Having no safe spawn area is pretty noob. I imagine the Republic is dropping like flies.

No dimishing returns on player kills is even more Epic Fail, which is why Empire players are able to gain insane amounts of Valor at the Republic spawnpoint.

Empire players just have their friends login Republic toons at the spawnpoint in Ilum and they can just farm them at no end, without Bioware being able to proof it.... as hitting the respawn button "really" is the only thing Republic players are able to do right now on Ilum ever since the servers came back up.

Originally posted by JeroKane

No dimishing returns on player kills is even more Epic Fail, which is why Empire players are able to gain insane amounts of Valor at the Republic spawnpoint.

Empire players just have their friends login Republic toons at the spawnpoint in Ilum and they can just farm them at no end, without Bioware being able to proof it.... as hitting the respawn button "really" is the only thing Republic players are able to do right now on Ilum ever since the servers came back up.

Yeah, not good at all. They have a serious mess on their hands and they're going to piss off a lot of players regardless of what they decide to do.

All in all, that was some serious noob overlooking there. Having a safe spawn area that can't be camped is vital to healthy PvP.

I'm glad I passed on this one.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Yeah, not good at all. They have a serious mess on their hands and they're going to piss off a lot of players regardless of what they decide to do.

All in all, that was some serious noob overlooking there. Having a safe spawn area that can't be camped is vital to healthy PvP.

Well, it is their first MMORPG with PVP, so understandable if their focus isn't in this area.

They are all about the story telling, but they keep forgetting MMORPG's are a sum of all the parts, not just excellence in one or two areas.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Ok.

This is it, i say F it, FIUUUUUUU F IT

Im going to forget this game even has PVP.

PVE all the way now, roll a couple of alts and wait for some real PVP.

Everyone should do the same, if you love this game, stop hurting it from inside.

Stop rolling Imperial Characters

Stop zerging and exploiting.

Just stop.... why?

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

Originally posted by Kyleran

Well, it is their first MMORPG with PVP, so understandable if their focus isn't in this area.

They are all about the story telling, but they keep forgetting MMORPG's are a sum of all the parts, not just excellence in one or two areas.

It might be understandable for you but not for me. Having a safe spawn location is an elementary MMO concept and overlooking something that basic is inexcusable in my book.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Someone in my guild went from Valor Rank 22 to Valor Rank 85 in 32 minutes from turret exploiting right after the patch came out.

Real fair.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

Originally posted by DecoyTrooper

This is not an exploit imo, it's the dev's fault. Once the issue get fixed, everything will go back to normal or until the next breakdown. Besides, people that actually like PvP won't touch the terribad PvP in this game. There are better games for PVP. So it's not that Bioware will lose many subs because of the PVPers.

This is an exploit, ofc it's the dev's "fault" every exploit is a design flaw, other wise you will not be able to exploit it...

The diffrence is how hard is it to find the exploit, i.e you had to go way out of your way to find it ala the holes in wow's teleport fence post 4.0 pre-Cata. or did you just "stumble" upon it in your normal day to day game play. No one is dumb every one knew that somthing was wrong, it's just like findng a chest or a mining node that insta respawn. Every MMO had exploits such as these and will continue to have them, even if it's been QA's you never know what can happend on release. But no one should play dumb, every one and yes every one who participated in it knew that it was a bug or a design flaw that is going to be fixed and they are exploiting it. The PVP cash'r'us was bad enough but since the game has credit sinks on every corner and credits are not hard to get by it didnt effect the economy that much. But this actually allowed poeple to gain enough valor to level from rank 1 to 50+ with in an hour, not only that the zerg was pretty much single sided. On my server you usually would get 1-2 battle masters per imp group, i've just did several warzones and in each half or more of the imp enemy team had BM titles, i've seen 1 match where 9 out of 10 people had it...

Originally posted by Benthon

Someone in my guild went from Valor Rank 22 to Valor Rank 85 in 32 minutes from turret exploiting right after the patch came out.

Real fair.

It end up not being the Turrets itself, but the Empire zerging the Republic Spawnpoint killing Republic players over and over and over for hours on end, with no diminishing return on Valor gain!

So people can (and are) exploiting it, by having friends log in republic chars on the spawnpoint and let their Empire friends farm them!

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Please remember all of the misinformation people intentionally spread about the bannings just a few weeks ago. None of which ever proved to be valid. They are saying the turret stuff is BS and not true. If you watch the live stream someone else posted you will see no one is even bothering to kill the turrets. I agree people have already capitalized on the valor stuff and might have gotten a lot of valor levels very quickly, the amount of misinformation circulating the internet about this game is... interesting... I think the internet community is out to get Bioware. 

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Meltdown

Please remember all of the misinformation people intentionally spread about the bannings just a few weeks ago. None of which ever proved to be valid. They are saying the turret stuff is BS and not true. If you watch the live stream someone else posted you will see no one is even bothering to kill the turrets. I agree people have already capitalized on the valor stuff and might have gotten a lot of valor levels very quickly, the amount of misinformation circulating the internet about this game is... interesting... I think the internet community is out to get Bioware. 

/tinfoil hats on

• sirchivesirchive Member UncommonPosts: 72

SWTOR is a good game if you are happy playing along with mildly interactive star wars cartoons. But the underlying MMO elements are extremely weak.

But this type of broken game mechanic is a really bad omen for the game's future because it reveals incredibly weak design, development, PR, project management and community management skills on Bioware's part.

Now they have a tough choice to make.

Rollback the game and reimplement the patch later. This will anger the masses of PVE players who have been playing all day.

Hotfix the problem but leave valor gains in place. This will completely screw over any players who did not rank up using the exploit. Their future PVP play will be a miserable one where they are constantly steamrolled by players who gained hugely from todays screw-up.

Bad either way. I'm far from a fan of Blizzard. But one thing I remember is that they were very quick on the trigger for rollbacks when they screwed something up in a patch. In contrast the longer Bioware dithers the worse the outcome will be.

Bioware is letting it happen, by not responding and let speculation go rampant for hours on end.

On the internet that is a lifetime!

They knew there was a serious issue regarding massive Valor gain right after the servers came back up and first reports start rolling in.

First thing you do, is take the servers down instantly!  Especially since they were extensively bragging about all their metric tools they have!

Well what good does it do if they don't use them or are only retro active usuable?

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

I think the internet community is out to get Bioware. 

LOL, this made me chuckle.

Poor Bioware :( i hope they release 400$ on DLC content for Mass Effect 3 so i can show my support!

Maybe they shouldn't be so arrogant?

Maybe they shouldn't rush games (DA2, SWTOR)

Maybe they shouldn't call moisture farmers to anyone who wants more than quests?

Maybe they shouldn't release 15$ 2 hour long DLCs?

There is a reason why lots of people hate Bioware, and they kinda deserve it.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• ForumTrollForumTroll Member Posts: 140

Leads me to beleive they put these exploits in on purpose so that people could max characters easily. Then when enough people are maxed they will fix everything and make the new people work 10x harder for what people got for free.

Maybe there is a disgruntled employee who is trying to kill the game...

Maybe its john wilkes booths' fault...

"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

Biowares new PR spokesman

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

I love playing devil's advocate I guess. The turret stuff is a complete lie. The level 20 to 80 valor stuff is a complete lie. Of course you have no reason to believe me, the entire community here is just itching for a reason to hate SWTOR more. But just doing some quick google searches and common sense you can see what I mean about the turret stuff and the speed of the valor leveling.

Is there an issue? Yes

Is it the turrets? No

Is it an exploit? I say Yes, but Debatable

Is it gamebreaking? I say Yes, but again Debatable

My point is that people come on these forums and say "its the turrets!!! lvl25-85 in 30 minutes!!" and you believe them at their word. And then someone comes along and says "Its not the turrets" and you say they are crazy. If that isn't a bias... I've already stated multiple times I already cancelled my account, I just have never seen so much misinformation about a game circulate so quickly as it has with SWTOR.

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Bioware is letting it happen, by not responding and let speculation go rampant for hours on end.

On the internet that is a lifetime!

They knew there was a serious issue regarding massive Valor gain right after the servers came back up and first reports start rolling in.

First thing you do, is take the servers down instantly!  Especially since they were extensively bragging about all their metric tools they have!

Well what good does it do if they don't use them or are only retro active usuable?

That's what I was wondering after they took action on a few accounts before.  They have had at least a few things that totally threw entire server economies out of whack.   They then talk about all these metrics they have... it does make you wonder.

When they finally made a post about the Ilum bans from the chest camping...

The only perma bans were related to gold farming.    People who "exploited" and as SR said unbalanced an entire servers economy were given one of two actions:

1) a warning

2) a short suspension

So does it really suprise you they would just let an exploit run wild and hot fix it?   As opposed to the industry standard roll back.

If those people were spamming a website advertisement they'd all be perma banned.

As it is no action will be taken or any action taken is laughable at best.

This is my number 1 gripe about almost every MMO I've played.   In fact lack of ToS/Eula enforcement is why I will not subscribe to the game.   If they don't want to enforce these things... stop writing them and making people agree to them.   There is absolutely no place in the terms of service that says "exploiting" will recieve a lesser punishment than RMT.

Even tho I was unhappy with changes made during beta... if every single person who was "exploiting" had their account perma banned (instead of a warming/short term suspension)... I would have paid for a 6 month subscription just to support the fact they were enforcing their rules.   Even if I quit playing I would have paid for that reason alone.   Which I guess is kind of sad.. in more ways than one.

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

edited the OP to correct the topic

• Mo-jawkMo-jawk Member Posts: 2

So many people crying about this, If you'd already grinded to valor 60, more fool you, game has been out 1 month??

Wow had been out about 8 years when they made sweeping changes to Tol Barad early after cataclysm release and did exactly the same thing. People earning honor points 10 times faster than legitimate players had been able to earn in the previous weeks. There was nothing done, no roll back, blizzard just swept it under the rug.

I'd say give Bioware some time before you rashly cancel your subscriptions.

• ThodraThodra Member UncommonPosts: 444

The sad thing is, that most likely a lot of players have not even a clue that they are exploiting.

They join the Imperial zerg and think they have a good time stomping the Republic side.

The servers have been up for far too long. This exploit has gone on for far too long, that too many people are now affected! Both obvious guilty ones as innocent ones joining the zerg.

I wouldn't be suprised a single bit that they are incapable of doing a rollback, most likely due to all the issues they already have with the crappy HeroEngine.

There is otherwise no logical explanation as to why they would not have taken the servers down immediately after the exploit was reported.  As pretty much every other MMO has done instant shutdowns and rollbacks when huge exploits were discovered.

If they go for the easy fix and start banning people. Then their only option will be a PERMA ban, to remove all unfair collected Valor of today and remove it from the game!  Which I hardly doubt they willing to do, as it will affect so many people.... it's not even funny... moreso will seriously hurt their subscription numbers !  As you can bet that a lot of people (most likely close friends) will cancel their subs along with their banned friends.

Conclusion: The servers have been up for too long and now Bioware created a classic CATCH22 situation for themselves!  I wish them luck fixing this mess!

No u do not wish them luck, u lied there already. You hate the game, and coulden't care less about them

Originally posted by Thodra

The sad thing is, that most likely a lot of players have not even a clue that they are exploiting.

They join the Imperial zerg and think they have a good time stomping the Republic side.

The servers have been up for far too long. This exploit has gone on for far too long, that too many people are now affected! Both obvious guilty ones as innocent ones joining the zerg.

I wouldn't be suprised a single bit that they are incapable of doing a rollback, most likely due to all the issues they already have with the crappy HeroEngine.

There is otherwise no logical explanation as to why they would not have taken the servers down immediately after the exploit was reported.  As pretty much every other MMO has done instant shutdowns and rollbacks when huge exploits were discovered.

If they go for the easy fix and start banning people. Then their only option will be a PERMA ban, to remove all unfair collected Valor of today and remove it from the game!  Which I hardly doubt they willing to do, as it will affect so many people.... it's not even funny... moreso will seriously hurt their subscription numbers !  As you can bet that a lot of people (most likely close friends) will cancel their subs along with their banned friends.

Conclusion: The servers have been up for too long and now Bioware created a classic CATCH22 situation for themselves!  I wish them luck fixing this mess!

No u do not wish them luck, u lied there already. You hate the game, and coulden't care less about them

I lied? Where? Please point me to a post where I clearly state I hate the game?

I never said that in any post. I actually enjoyed the game, but canceled, because of sheer mismanagent of this game and how they are handling it!  HighRes Texture debacle. Now the Ilum / Valor gain debacle. Other glaring issues with this game. On top of this also start charging people two days early!

That's what pissed me off, lose faith in Bioware and made me cancel.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Sagasaint

edit2: apparently the claims of turrets giving 500 valor were TRUE but was hot/stealth fixed ingame soon after it was found out. Spawncamping alts for valor is still valid and working as of now.

Any proof of that? Sounds like a baseless claim or lie to me. People confusing the valor gain by killing players with what turrets give. On top of that, I doubt whether they can hotfix with the server architecture they have chosen without taking the servers down, but even so a claim like this sounds conspiracy theory tinfoil hattery imo -_-

Let's cut the crap and take a shortcut to the juicy stuff right away, and make claims that BW and EA people worship Satan in the basement of their corporate building and plan to take over the world.