Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited: Entering the Forgotten Realms

Comments

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347

If some1 new wanted to start DDO now how mch money do I need to spend? I know its free to play but dont want all the restrictions there are and hows F2P model compared to LOTRO ?

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

last i check you can buy the game an do monthly like all regular game instead of being f2p (p2p will remove all limit)

• opposedcrowopposedcrow Member Posts: 55

Well damn...Looks like I'm re-installing this game for sure now. I was on the fence before as I've been sort of missing the game's unique combat mechanics and instanced dungeon layouts but I could never get into the Eberron setting or lore.

And then they had to go and bridge the gap into my favorite fantasy setting of all time. Curse you Turbine and your ability to lure me back and make me spend more countless hours immersed in your games.

• LiljnaLiljna Member UncommonPosts: 274

Originally posted by Jeauseoff

Umm...  I'm not a 'huge fan' but even I know that the goddess' name is 'Lolth'  not 'Lloth'. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolth

Just sayin...  : )

Lloth is the drow way of spelling it, Lolth is the common way of spelling it.

Edit: *tongue in cheek" warning. Since you were already checking Wiki, perhaps you should have read the article you were linking?

Wiki says: "Lolth is a fictional goddess in the Dungeons and Dragons fantasy role-playing game. Lolth (Lloth in the drow dialect), the Demon Queen of Spiders, is the chief goddess of drow elves. She is also known as the Spider Queen and the Queen of the Demonweb Pits.[1] "

• blackcat35blackcat35 Member Posts: 479

Originally posted by drbaltazar

if you dont know who she is check dritz dohurden and related book ,evil in swtor?lol it is child play ,they got lot of slave war vs each other in aim to be the master house over all and loth like it cause only the most powerfull shall survive to top it all of  she corrupt them to the max some actually became spider etc!wow this is epic ,but i wonder cause in the book it is said that only a very very light cant recall the color ,like it is worst then night they are at the edge of nightvision spectrum from how it is described human cant see in there only the light we see and they re so dim they are like candle to human try to light a 10k cave with 1 candle every 500 feet and those candle are in sahde and hue so not to blind lot minion cause they never saw the sun and most get blinded by the moon(ya you dont see fuck all.wow this will be interesting if they keep to the look and feel described in the book

might be a bit scary ,(minion in there tend to be unseeable and tend to want to eat everything around them lol

men i read those book and always was gaga over the detail the writer went to explain how underdark look,let me tell you if they do this right ,cave never got this jolting and scary

They aren't going to make the underdark that dark.  In normal D&D 3.0 there was spells like continual light and light that are missing in DDO.  Dark elves had ultravision back in 2.0 version.  They aren't blinded by light, but they are at minuses in combat when out in daylight.  

They aren't going to change the game that drastically to include every little nuance.  Basically its new area(s), class, and expansion of levels.  So you get to level up in Underdark to 25th, and that means they aren't going to change the other areas.  I'm sure every level after 20th will be more abilities to the character, and probably lots of abilities to pick from (3 to 4) per level, so you'll have customization where not all classes are exactly the same.

Its going to be interesting what they do with True Reincarnations since the level is expanding to 25th...

==========================
    The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

• tkobotkobo Member Posts: 465

Looks like empty hype to me........

Now if they had said "We are putting an enormous amount of content based on the underdark into ddo.Players will be able to start OUT IN, and play ENTIRELY from level 1 to max in the underdark,experiencing a truely dark and dangerous world as its been presented in years of pnp content"

I probably would have said  "Okay, thats at least a good sales pitch,now lets see what they actually deliver"

But instead,all theyve really said is "Visit  our railed themepark version of the underdark in a small series of  adventures at some point during your chars badly done trip thru d&d's worst setting (ebberon),and experience "darkness" the equavilant to hello kitty online,from the dangerous and thrilling seat of our 'your char cant reaaly die or even suffer any measureable Inconvenience'  tour, as you wander from knocking on this door to the next  "

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

OMG... DDO going to visit Abeir-Toril..? Time to re-download and play I think ;)

• BloodyVikingBloodyViking Member UncommonPosts: 132

WHOW!!!! This is the kind of news that makes me smile! I hadnt heard didley about this being in the pipeline so this took me completely by surprise.

I play DDO on and off and really like how they have done the combat system.

This news really hit the spot for me after the letdown with SW:TOR.

Go Turbine!!!

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

Word of advice, never uninstall DDO. I know it can't be considered a true mmo by most but it is still my favorite game in the realm. Hats off to turbine, this is truely great news. Those that want to try DDO I suggest Sarlona as the people there are very kind for the most part (there are guild elitest exceptions). See you in game (this is the only game that I have 32 alts, I know, 6 TR's, I am a fanboi)

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

amazing news and finally! is all i can say. it appears WotC finally got the message from their playerbase as the following article in the NYTimes shows:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/arts/video-games/dungeons-dragons-remake-uses-players-input.html?pagewanted=all

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Does this "Underdark" tie in or have any relation to the neverwinter nights underdark?

(sorry im not a big follower of dnd)

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Damn nice!

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by Mellkor

Does this "Underdark" tie in or have any relation to the neverwinter nights underdark?

Yes, it should. Not exactly how these two world settings are going to tie together though. We will see.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by Mellkor

I'm not sure what exactly do you mean, but Underdark is a huge underground system of caverns and dungeons below a large area of Forgotten Realms; yes below the city of Neverwinter as well. It is the home of drowes, dark gnomes and many other species.

REALITY CHECK

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

About goddamn time. Does this mean Turbine have the Forgotten Realms license now? In all likelihood yes. I wonder how this will interact with Cryptic's Neverwinter project? Did Cryptic lose the Forgotten Realms license when they were sold by Atari? I'm a DDO player so I'm looking forward to the coming days.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

I nominate Dark Sun next...

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    I'm a Forgotten Realms junkie and have been since the eighties. No other game world has measured up for me, not even close. The whole reason I am not playing DDO right now is the world, I can't stand Eberron. I tried, I just keep comparing it to FR.

Anyway, this news excites me, but like others have stated, I will wait to see the implementation first. If this is just a small area on the trip through Eberron, I will pass. But if this is serious content and isolated from the rest of the world for the most part, I will check it out.

Good news either way :)

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Originally posted by blackcat35

They aren't going to make the underdark that dark.  In normal D&D 3.0 there was spells like continual light and light that are missing in DDO.  Dark elves had ultravision back in 2.0 version.  They aren't blinded by light, but they are at minuses in combat when out in daylight.  

They aren't going to change the game that drastically to include every little nuance.  Basically its new area(s), class, and expansion of levels.  So you get to level up in Underdark to 25th, and that means they aren't going to change the other areas.  I'm sure every level after 20th will be more abilities to the character, and probably lots of abilities to pick from (3 to 4) per level, so you'll have customization where not all classes are exactly the same.

Its going to be interesting what they do with True Reincarnations since the level is expanding to 25th...

The quest A Rainbow in the Dark is COMPLETELY dark unless you stand next to the torch carrier.

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

If they'd only STARTED in the Forgotten Realms, I think the game would have been a success from the start, but better late then never.  Just sayin...

Originally posted by drbaltazar

if you dont know who she is check dritz dohurden and related book ,evil in swtor?lol it is child play ,they got lot of slave war vs each other in aim to be the master house over all and loth like it cause only the most powerfull shall survive to top it all of  she corrupt them to the max some actually became spider etc!wow this is epic ,but i wonder cause in the book it is said that only a very very light cant recall the color ,like it is worst then night they are at the edge of nightvision spectrum from how it is described human cant see in there only the light we see and they re so dim they are like candle to human try to light a 10k cave with 1 candle every 500 feet and those candle are in sahde and hue so not to blind lot minion cause they never saw the sun and most get blinded by the moon(ya you dont see fuck all.wow this will be interesting if they keep to the look and feel described in the book

might be a bit scary ,(minion in there tend to be unseeable and tend to want to eat everything around them lol

men i read those book and always was gaga over the detail the writer went to explain how underdark look,let me tell you if they do this right ,cave never got this jolting and scary

i am quotting the book not the other game,they are litteraly blinded by the moon when they come out of underdark.dritz had to use a very dark scarf over his eye for years to get a better hold but still have issue .so yes they need to make it dark,drow,have kind of infrared like vision this is why they cant use fire as light source ,like i say in the book the author goes into painstaking detail or everything related ,in the city they can see a little bit in the cavern passage they have speciall colored torch that dont blind the drow and barelly light their way,about 3 feed then after that its all dark (unless your  a drow ,havent read of wood elf going in underdark!(they are natural enemy for some reason.anyway if it isnt dark there is no point in making this then cause it is the soul of the area dont forget these are very magical and poisonous people trough their various toy1

yes neverwinter night relate but neverwinter night is on the surface not insanelly far under ground,also it is way after everything where the giant live etc,in wow imagine underdark being several 10 miles of distance but going down under booty bay ,once you reach booty bay(surface of underdark area you have to go north imagine lich king area island this would be after neverwinternight

neverwinter night is in a range of hill ,it would be long chain of mountain where the water close to lich king area is

take more then a season to reach iton the surface and after that it is a nightmare always winter in game the frost would damage you (temperature)ha good old world of forgotten realm !

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

Oh man!  :(  Looks like I have to start my DDO account up AGAIN.  Didn't have that on the schedule this year. 

• BloodyVikingBloodyViking Member UncommonPosts: 132

Originally posted by stealthbr

The quest A Rainbow in the Dark is COMPLETELY dark unless you stand next to the torch carrier.

Hear hear! This quest is REALLY hard if you have a newbie group and someone who doesnt know how to do it grabs the staff. Rainbow in the Dark is my favourite dungeon not only because of how it is designed but also because of its Dio tribute :-P

• zxcvbnm1234zxcvbnm1234 Member Posts: 92

DDO gets boring after you become level 20. Because this ain't got no PVP (don't even mention tavern PVP, everybody knows it sucks)

Originally posted by stealthbr

i sure hope it is like this ,dont get me wrong there are camping post with very very died candle hued light but it is so dark that it take a while to be used to it!cause this literaly set the mood ,in the city there are light all around but again it is very very very weak(a la dark light in the bar)i say candle but they use phosporescent mushroom magical imbued rock etc