Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

really enjoying myself

aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

i am station pass holder and on a whim, being a bit bored with EQ2 and Vanguard (gasp! i know i'm terrible aren't i?!) i downloaded DCUO.

again, like the previous poster i never followed this game at all. im not a superhero IP kinda guy. normally i turn back to an online shooter at this point. but instead decided to try DCUO.

and this is honestly a gem of a game. while targeting can be a bit awkward, overall the combat is absolutely terrific. the character creation customization is great, as is the dual tracks of Skills (Weapons and Flight) and Powers (Destiny, Iconic, and another I haven't played with yet) for character development.

the pvp is loads of fun. as the above pointed out you are constantly crossing paths with the opposing faction while questing. and while, yes, there is plenty of gankage, i have yet to be camped by anyone. instead the endlevel players tend to gank you and move on.

another fascinating element in this game's pvp is that the servers are crossable. now while that may upset hardcore pvp'rs i actually think its a great idea and is justified by the following:

1. it encourages players to try both gameplay styles out. they can freely switch between the 2 through a portal ingame, so why not? in chat i overheard people talking who were going back and forth while leveling. is the pvp too hot for you on a particular night or in a particular part of town? too many endgamers ganking lowbies? just switch over, continue your pve experience and come back tomorrow.

2. you're fooling yourself if you think that you can level to 30 and then suddenly be capable of pvp with folks at the same level and gear if all you've done is pve.

i found the pvp to be fairly balanced. if you are quick, know your moves and pay attention you can actually defend yourself against higher levels to run away. and if there's a couple of you around you can actually take one down.

aside from the pvp, the storyline is fabulously done. and i found that the classes so for have played really well. instead of their being the holy trinity of tank, dps, healer everyone is given comparable dps abilities and then given a choice between defensive play, crowd control, or healing. they offset the benefits of healing by imposing a penalty to damage while in healing mode. you can still heal effectively and dps, however, it can become limiting if you are part of a group that is taking heavy damage, whether in pve/p.

overally i am really enjoying myself for the first time in quite a while in an mmo.

downsides? the community can be a bit rough, but no worse than your average pvp server in WoW. the targeting can be a bit tricky. there were apparently a lot of hacks going around, such as speed hacks, but so far that seems to have been gotten control of, or the users are sticking to themselves for grinding solo. the population is small but there seems to always be people in chat and ingame when you are out and about. the leveling is fast, but as the other poster mentioned for a pvp game that can be a benefit rather than a drawback. however, i will add that i am a slow leveler. i like to take my time and see the sights. and so far i haven't been pushed out of lvl range for things to see by the questing process.

overall? this is a great game that i am enjoying highly. how long will that last for me? i don't know and i'm old enough not to care, but simply to enjoy what's in front of me.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
One could be called finite, the other infinite.
A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Comments

• LohdownLohdown Member UncommonPosts: 78

I only tried this game on a whim, too, and I am very surprised to find I love it as much as I do.  This is not a game that I ever would have tried in a million years had it not gone free to play.  And even after I read it was going F2P I figured it was a game I would never try.  Superheroes aren't really my thing.

Well, after many, many hours of getitng my ass kicked in Dark Souls, I wanted to take a break from that game.  I played through the ICO / Shadow of the Colossus collection and still was not ready to go back to Dark Souls.  I looked at the small stack of games I still have to start playing.  I realized they are all just sequels having the same gameplay I have already done several times over.  I had seen a few other PSN friends playing DCUO and since I knew it went F2P, I decided to give it a try.

It didn't take too long before I was hooked.  Being an mmo, it was familiar, but at the same time it was different from the ones I have played in the past.  The difficulty seemed to be the perfect mix of being not-to-hard and not-too-easy.  Combat turned out to be much more action oriented then I expected.  I have never been a PvP gamer in mmos but I am addicted to it in this game.  I am even very close to gettting my 1000 duels feat.  I like the game so much that I even found myself reading up on the history of DC Comics and some of the back stories of the characters.

I only have a few complaints with this game.  One being the use of the same zone for all the clubs and police stations.  That is a pet peeve of mine in any mmo.  Second, there needs to be about 10 times the number of arenas and alerts there currently are.  I have all my T1 pvp gear and also most of my T1 and some T2 pve gear and I am tired of doing the same arenas and alerts over and over.  Endgame content is lacking.  I need one more point for acess to Central City where I am hoping there is more to do.

Lastly, the recent money dupe and the exploitation of it by the players really is disappointing.  Too many billionaires from counterfeit money has ruined the economy.  I don't even bother with the auction house as it is useless to me and my 25k.  I remember back a few years when SOE discovered people were duping money on the broker in EQ2, they immediately shut down all the servers.  When they brought them back online the broker was disabled and it wasn't reenabled until they had a fix for it.  I don't understand why they would not do that in DCUO as soon as a money dupe was discovered.

Well, after 2 weeks playing for free, I got tired of waiting in the login queue.  I decided I had definitely gotten 15 bucks worth of gameplay and upgraded to Legendary.  I was just billed for my 3rd month and I still have an unfinished game of Dark Souls going and a stack of games I have yet to play.  I think they may just sit there for awhile longer as I am still having way too much fun in DCUO.

The moment I read "It's like" or "WoW" is the moment I stop reading your post.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Originally posted by Lohdown

I only tried this game on a whim, too, and I am very surprised to find I love it as much as I do.  This is not a game that I ever would have tried in a million years had it not gone free to play.  And even after I read it was going F2P I figured it was a game I would never try.  Superheroes aren't really my thing.

Well, after many, many hours of getitng my ass kicked in Dark Souls, I wanted to take a break from that game.  I played through the ICO / Shadow of the Colossus collection and still was not ready to go back to Dark Souls.  I looked at the small stack of games I still have to start playing.  I realized they are all just sequels having the same gameplay I have already done several times over.  I had seen a few other PSN friends playing DCUO and since I knew it went F2P, I decided to give it a try.

It didn't take too long before I was hooked.  Being an mmo, it was familiar, but at the same time it was different from the ones I have played in the past.  The difficulty seemed to be the perfect mix of being not-to-hard and not-too-easy.  Combat turned out to be much more action oriented then I expected.  I have never been a PvP gamer in mmos but I am addicted to it in this game.  I am even very close to gettting my 1000 duels feat.  I like the game so much that I even found myself reading up on the history of DC Comics and some of the back stories of the characters.

I only have a few complaints with this game.  One being the use of the same zone for all the clubs and police stations.  That is a pet peeve of mine in any mmo.  Second, there needs to be about 10 times the number of arenas and alerts there currently are.  I have all my T1 pvp gear and also most of my T1 and some T2 pve gear and I am tired of doing the same arenas and alerts over and over.  Endgame content is lacking.  I need one more point for acess to Central City where I am hoping there is more to do.

Lastly, the recent money dupe and the exploitation of it by the players really is disappointing.  Too many billionaires from counterfeit money has ruined the economy.  I don't even bother with the auction house as it is useless to me and my 25k.  I remember back a few years when SOE discovered people were duping money on the broker in EQ2, they immediately shut down all the servers.  When they brought them back online the broker was disabled and it wasn't reenabled until they had a fix for it.  I don't understand why they would not do that in DCUO as soon as a money dupe was discovered.

Well, after 2 weeks playing for free, I got tired of waiting in the login queue.  I decided I had definitely gotten 15 bucks worth of gameplay and upgraded to Legendary.  I was just billed for my 3rd month and I still have an unfinished game of Dark Souls going and a stack of games I have yet to play.  I think they may just sit there for awhile longer as I am still having way too much fun in DCUO.

i don't know much about endgame or the auctionhouse, too busy with my altaholism and playing with various buillds character styles. its so  much fun!

anyways, i think you put the pros much more eloquently than me and im glad someone else has had the same experience with the game. i didnt know if i was just being a flake or what, but i just felt so strongly that this was an overlooked gem of a game.

(overlooked for good reason, SoE never fails to dissapoint ;) but that overall its really worth a try, especially since its now f2p.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse