Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Be careful - NCSoft Launcher now uses Pando!

trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Which basically is a peer to peer program (aka torrent) program that will upload constantly if you let it run.

Why companies stoop this low is beyond me - just put the game up on Steam if you are too cheap to pay for the bandwidth - using this Pando crap is very sleazy...

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

Comments

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by trancejeremy

Which basically is a peer to peer program (aka torrent) program that will upload constantly if you let it run.

Why companies stoop this low is beyond me - just put the game up on Steam if you are too cheap to pay for the bandwidth - using this Pando crap is very sleazy...

Pando is used for downloading the client.  When your done downloading just remove pando from your computer...simple.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

And uploading legal stuff is bad because...?

Because of people like the OP the P2P downloads are not as fast as they could be.

Sure I agree there should be a limiter option so that it wouldn't take all your upload capability.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

...'now'?

Uh...I guess I should say welcome to the party. I just turn it off.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Have you tried to download anything from Steam with a high-speed Internet connection lately? During the christmas sales I could get 600kbps if I was lucky (with a 100Mbps connection). Yesterday I clocked a whopping 25Mbps.

At the same time, the cloud based Origin downloader was happily pushing 100Mbps through and Pando based STO downloader went close to 100Mbps aswell.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

pando worked just fine whenever i wanted to download LOTRO and DDO which have used it for years.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

"stoop this low"?  P2P file sharing is a perfectly legitimate mechanism and a very effective one for everybody who opts in (as well as those who just leech).  And, yeah, it's been in for quite a while now (although it took people quite a bit of convincin that is what it was).

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

P2P streaming isn't the sleazy part, what is sleazy is that a for profit company like NCSoft, rather than providing patching/downloads themselves, decides to crowdsource that to users, effectively letting the people who are paying for the game foot the bill for uploading patches and the game.

Beyond that, it's great to know that so many people have wonderful internet connections that doesn't mind their constantly having a p2p program run.

But for those of us with bandwidth caps, it basically means that this is unusable.

And at any rate, it's not like gaming needs an unclogged internet connection or anything. I mean, who cares if you are constantly uploading I'm sure your commands will get through eventually.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Pando usually installs itself without asking as a part of the client/launcher. If you dont know that its there it will constanly upload and capping/going over limit which could cost some folk hundreds.

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Originally posted by therain93

"stoop this low"?  P2P file sharing is a perfectly legitimate mechanism and a very effective one for everybody who opts in (as well as those who just leech).  And, yeah, it's been in for quite a while now (although it took people quite a bit of convincin that is what it was).

I actually want to clarify one thing -- the launcher uses some sort of P2P device to update CoH, that's for sure.  BUT, based on the linked thread to Lineage 2 and the description of the pando installer, that is not what appears to be used by CoH (unless they've wholly built it into the cohupdater.exe). 

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

The biggest problem with Pando for me isn't that it is a p2p client, or that ncsoft is using my bandwidth to help the patching process along.  My problem is that when installed, it loads itself everytime you boot up your machine until you notice it and disable it again.  So it is constantly running and using your bandwidth anytime you are powered up and connected to the internet.  

I should say this is the problem I use to have with it, as I don't play any games that use it now, they may have changed.