Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Deploying soon and have 2 questions

Im deploying soon and was looking to put some books on my kindle. Any suggestions? I already have the wheel of Time books.

Games, Im not going to have an internet hook up. I have skyrim and NWN2. Do i need an internet connection for Dragon age 1? How is Dragon Age 2?  I would Down load them from Steam. Thx

Comments

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Lord of the Rings seems an obvious choice, some of the few books that operate on a similar sense of scale as WOT

Almost anything by Orson Scott Card, particularly the Ender's Game series (scifi) and Alvin Maker series (historical fiction/fantasy)

I found the Earth's Children series (historical fiction) by Jean M Auel particularly fascinating.

If you don't have an accesible internet connection be aware that you will have to modify the game files to play them, normally steam requires a connection to begin playing any games you get through their service. You might want to check ahead of time to see if a mod to do so is available. 

As for Dragon Age 2, it is a good game, but it is significanly faster paced than the original. Slightly more bloody action, slightly less strategy.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694

Highly recommended: The Death Gate Cycle.

The series is a little off the "beaten path", so it gives a fresh take on fantasy. Truly enjoy the series and have read it a few times through.

If you're looking to get lost in something new...definitely the series for you.

Good luck.

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

• DonevDonev Member Posts: 143

Dresden Files are freaking great. I'm on the 4th book now and have loved every one so far. 

Hunger Games are...... ok.... the movie looks better than the book imho. 

Nik and Cal Leandros series is good. Starts with the book "Night Life". 

Hunters Run by George RR Martin (Game of Thrones author) is a good book. 

If you're looking for cheap buys, all of Christian Cantrell's books are $0.99, all decent length, and out of the 2 or 3 I've read are amazing. http://www.amazon.com/Christian-Cantrell/e/B0040Y98T6/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1326778207&sr=1-1

As a vet myself, I also highly suggest getting something that's big enough to put in your upper pants pocket and not stored in your Cargo Pocket where it's going to get crushed. I used an iPod Nano for movies, music, and TONS of Audio Books in 2008. iPod Nano is pretty sturdy too. Worked great for when I was in the field. Also back in 2008, a cracked PSP was one of the best things on Earth. 

Edit:

Also, if you haven't read it read Dune. I read it in Iraq and it was kinda trippy to listen to a book about the Iraq war written in the 60's. You're prob going to Afg, but same principle. 

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by Aelfinn

Lord of the Rings seems an obvious choice, some of the few books that operate on a similar sense of scale as WOT

Almost anything by Orson Scott Card, particularly the Ender's Game series (scifi) and Alvin Maker series (historical fiction/fantasy)

I found the Earth's Children series (historical fiction) by Jean M Auel particularly fascinating.

If you don't have an accesible internet connection be aware that you will have to modify the game files to play them, normally steam requires a connection to begin playing any games you get through their service. You might want to check ahead of time to see if a mod to do so is available. 

As for Dragon Age 2, it is a good game, but it is significanly faster paced than the original. Slightly more bloody action, slightly less strategy.

All he has to do is before he leaves click on the 'Steam' menu and click 'Restart Steam in Offline Mode'. After that every time Steam starts it will be in Offline mode and doesn't require an Internet Connection. Just FYI.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I like Agatha Christie books, they are easy and fun to read on trips and I think all of them have a kindle edition.

If you like her style after reading one, you also now have a huge selection of books, since she has written quite a few.

Here is a link to all the kindle editions: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_browse-b_mrr_2?rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3AAgatha+Christie%2Cp_82%3AB000APENBC%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A618073011&bbn=283155&keywords=Agatha+Christie&ie=UTF8&qid=1326829180&rnid=618072011

• frodusfrodus Member Posts: 2,396

http://fictionaddict.com/ 

Try this one, THE SONG OF UNMAKING by D.Barkley Briggs

Trade in material assumptions for spiritual facts and make permanent progress.