Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NGE Anger?

124»

Comments

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

Originally posted by superniceguy

Originally posted by kobie173

Originally posted by hipiap

Amusing to me that ToR is dying faster than a snowball on a lit grill.

Except its not. You anti-TOR liars will say anything to justify your hate. Liar liar liar.

Except it is. If you are correct, then Bioware/EA are Liars too

I don't think you read the article well.  If the article is correct, then the subscriptions are not the problem.  It's that people are playing less that they were playing when it launched.  In other words, if you have 100 subs (number is invented) playing 5-8 hours a day during launch, your servers are packed.   If you have 100 subs playing 2-3 hours a day 3 months after launch, the server is much more empty.

This was explained in one of the first lines of the article.  Sub numbers have not changed, but the peak concurent players have declined.  This means that they have the same subs, but they're playing less, so server population problems.  This does not mean that ToR is dying.

That said, I don't believe that the sub numbers have not declined.  But they  haven't declined to the degree that the trolls on this site will say.

-Edit-

This is the quote to which I was referring:

"One of the problems we’re running into right now is kind of a classic MMO problem, which is that our overall population of players has not changed, but our peak concurrent users has changed,"

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by leojreimroc

Originally posted by kobie173

Originally posted by hipiap

Amusing to me that ToR is dying faster than a snowball on a lit grill.

Except its not. You anti-TOR liars will say anything to justify your hate. Liar liar liar.

Except it is. If you are correct, then Bioware/EA are Liars too

I don't think you read the article well.  If the article is correct, then the subscriptions are not the problem.  It's that people are playing less that they were playing when it launched.  In other words, if you have 100 subs (number is invented) playing 5-8 hours a day during launch, your servers are packed.   If you have 100 subs playing 2-3 hours a day 3 months after launch, the server is much more empty.

This was explained in one of the first lines of the article.  Sub numbers have not changed, but the peak concurent players have declined.  This means that they have the same subs, but they're playing less, so server population problems.  This does not mean that ToR is dying.

That said, I don't believe that the sub numbers have not declined.  But they  haven't declined to the degree that the trolls on this site will say.

-Edit-

"One of the problems we’re running into right now is kind of a classic MMO problem, which is that our overall population of players has not changed, but our peak concurrent users has changed,"

I read it alright, but it is said in a way to make the game seem as though it is not dying. Why would loads of people keep a subscription up and not play?

It is the fact they say that the overall population has not changed, and even you youself do not believe that. EA/Bioware are just full of it.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by Karahandras

Link to that 3mil number(just out of curiosity)? 

There is nothing, I did not believe that there was 1.7 million subs following 2 million sales, when you takje into account copies bought but not yet used plus the people who quit, but 1.7 would have been more believable IF they sold 3 million. The 3 million was a made up figure.

Anyway al that is old news, and there has been no numbers released for this month, and if it was good something would have been revealed, just comments on populations dropping and plans for transfers and maybe merges.

Thanks for the clarification.  Personally I have a sneaking feeling that the 1.7mil was the number of copies sold and that was pretty much it so far.

-Edit-

I read it alright, but it is said in a way to make the game seem as though it is not dying. Why would loads of people keep a subscription up and not play?

It is the fact they say that the overall population has not changed, and even you youself do not believe that. EA/Bioware are just full of it.

because they bought a 3,6 month sub at the start and ran out of game after a week or two and no longer log in.  I don't think it's a huge coincidence that they started giving away free time after 4 months(1 free month + a 3 month offer)

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

There is nothing, I did not believe that there was 1.7 million subs following 2 million sales, when you takje into account copies bought but not yet used plus the people who quit, but 1.7 would have been more believable IF they sold 3 million. The 3 million was a made up figure.

Anyway al that is old news, and there has been no numbers released for this month, and if it was good something would have been revealed, just comments on populations dropping and plans for transfers and maybe merges.

Thanks for the clarification.  Personally I have a sneaking feeling that the 1.7mil was the number of copies sold and that was pretty much it so far.

What EA have stated is that they sold 2m copies by Dec31st and 1.7m had activated accounts. They went on to say that of that 1.7m at 31st Dec, the vast majority (I assume 1.2 to 1.69m) went on past the first month into subscription time. So we know that at ~20th Feb, just before renewal date, they had 1.2 to 1.69m subs. EA/BW have been conspicuously quiet about sales so I imagine they dropped off fairly fast, one of the downsides to hype everyone buys at start and then numbers can only go down. I would think the peak would not be much higher than the 1.7m.

Originally posted by RefMinor

What EA have stated is that they sold 2m copies by Dec31st and 1.7m had activated accounts. They went on to say that of that 1.7m at 31st Dec, the vast majority (I assume 1.2 to 1.69m) went on past the first month into subscription time. So we know that at ~20th Feb, just before renewal date, they had 1.2 to 1.69m subs. EA/BW have been conspicuously quiet about sales so I imagine they dropped off fairly fast, one of the downsides to hype everyone buys at start and then numbers can only go down. I would think the peak would not be much higher than the 1.7m.

No idea how accurate these nuymbers are but will link anyway http://www.vgchartz.com/game/31584/star-wars-the-old-republic/Global/

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by themozz

I know a lot of people liked the professions pre-NGE but to be honest, I still felt SWG was one of the best MMOs out there even afterwards. I enjoyed the star wars universe and the epic player created towns.

Even servers that were dying (my own server of radiant) managed to keep GCW battles and pvp active everyday up to a few months ago.

I had a lot of fun and I know towards the end they were adding in a lot of content that they had been preparing.

A lot of NGE haters definitely missed out on a great star wars experience.

Sorry, but I played it and can say without a shadow of a doubt that no one missed a thing. The last time I played it (2007) Restuss was incredibly bugged and the base busting was a total joke. The legacy addtion was interesting, but after the first run through I didn't want to do it again. Plus spies were incredibly overpowered. I couldn't even do PVE bounties because my targets would wind up inside walls or in water.

Far as missing out on a great Star Wars experience? Please. It's those who only played the NGE that missed out on the Star Wars experience.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Originally posted by ktanner3

I know a lot of people liked the professions pre-NGE but to be honest, I still felt SWG was one of the best MMOs out there even afterwards. I enjoyed the star wars universe and the epic player created towns.

Even servers that were dying (my own server of radiant) managed to keep GCW battles and pvp active everyday up to a few months ago.

I had a lot of fun and I know towards the end they were adding in a lot of content that they had been preparing.

Sorry, but I played it and can say without a shadow of a doubt that no one missed a thing. The last time I played it (2007) Restuss was incredibly bugged and the base busting was a total joke. The legacy addtion was interesting, but after the first run through I didn't want to do it again. Plus spies were incredibly overpowered. I couldn't even do PVE bounties because my targets would wind up inside walls or in water.

Far as missing out on a great Star Wars experience? Please. It's those who only played the NGE that missed out on the Star Wars experience.

If it helps you sleep at night, as 2007-2011 is a lot of stuff that you did miss out on.

At the end of the day, seeing proper R2 droids, X wings etc is far better than the knock offs  SWTOR produces, that looks similar

SWG and SWTOR together would have been awesome operating side by side. SWG and SWG2 would not have been. Playing SWTOR just makes you miss an Original Trilogy MMO, because at the end of the day it is not really Star Wars, it could be a generic Sci Fi MMO, but if it was a generic sci fi MMO, like Mass Effect, or something different, then it would not be so bad, but SWTOR is close to being it, it is so frustrating

SWTOR would be more appreciated if there was another SW MMO active that was set around the original trilogy era, even if it is not SWG.

The NGE still did a better job at giving the Star Wars experience than SWTOR does. If SWG released as the NGE, and there was no pre-NGE versions, you would have played the hell out of it.

• dokardokar Member Posts: 52

If it helps you sleep at night, as 2007-2011 is a lot of stuff that you did miss out on.

At the end of the day, seeing proper R2 droids, X wings etc is far better than the knock offs  SWTOR produces, that looks similar

SWG and SWTOR together would have been awesome operating side by side. SWG and SWG2 would not have been. Playing SWTOR just makes you miss an Original Trilogy MMO, because at the end of the day it is not really Star Wars, it could be a generic Sci Fi MMO, but if it was a generic sci fi MMO, like Mass Effect, or something different, then it would not be so bad, but SWTOR is close to being it, it is so frustrating

SWTOR would be more appreciated if there was another SW MMO active that was set around the original trilogy era, even if it is not SWG.

The NGE still did a better job at giving the Star Wars experience than SWTOR does. If SWG released as the NGE, and there was no pre-NGE versions, you would have played the hell out of it.

The NGE released as it was with no pre-NGE..would have released without the content of JTL,ROTW and TOOW to keep people occupied and still been a mess.

Also no vehicles,mounts or player cities.

• orsonstfuorsonstfu Member Posts: 203

It died, thats telling enough.

Originally posted by dokar

The NGE released as it was with no pre-NGE..would have released without the content of JTL,ROTW and TOOW to keep people occupied and still been a mess.

The NGE had JTL, ROTW, TOOW and vehicles, mounts and player cities. So if the game released as the NGE, it would have all that.

Originally posted by orsonstfu

It died, thats telling enough.

It did not die, it just got shut down due to business reasons, and was more active than other MMOs that are still up.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

The nge was utter thrash.

• dokardokar Member Posts: 52

The NGE had JTL, ROTW, TOOW and vehicles, mounts and player cities. So if the game released as the NGE, it would have all that.

everythign I listen was developed while the Pre-nge was live with the money earned by pre-nge  none of that would have been done without Pre-Nge.

everythign I listen was developed while the Pre-nge was live with the money earned by pre-nge  none of that would have been done without Pre-Nge.

The game would not have needed to be Live to get everything. SWTOR took over 3 years to be developed (and first heard of it 3 years before release), perhaps if it got released 2 years ago, it would not have had vehicles either, and was a sandbox game in 2010 with multiplayer space action better than EVE, but all that got dumped on the cutting room floor, by the time it got released, as it ended up making the game too buggy.

In SWG when they did the CU, they did 2 versions that were known of, they put in the crappier version. When games are made they always have various different code written and then it is up to the producer to choose whichg to implement , with SWG that was Julio Torres.