Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NGE Anger?

I know a lot of people liked the professions pre-NGE but to be honest, I still felt SWG was one of the best MMOs out there even afterwards. I enjoyed the star wars universe and the epic player created towns.

Even servers that were dying (my own server of radiant) managed to keep GCW battles and pvp active everyday up to a few months ago.

I had a lot of fun and I know towards the end they were adding in a lot of content that they had been preparing.

A lot of NGE haters definitely missed out on a great star wars experience.

Comments

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

You felt it would be a good start to your MMORPG.com experience to post this on a thread for a game that is DEAD.

Nice.

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

Yup, I was very upset at the NGE but I knuckled down and held out. Within a couple of months things started to slowly get better. Atmospheric flight was awesome even in it's beta form. I heard it was slated to go live this spring and would have been more polished (another thing that indicates that SOE didn't know what was coming) but I had a lot of fun with it.

They should have made the last GCW an event to be held every year in December the first time it was introduced.

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

Originally posted by Ikeda

You felt it would be a good start to your MMORPG.com experience to post this on a thread for a game that is DEAD.

Nice.

[Mod Edit]

CU and Pre CU and Pre NGE and Post NGE versions of SW:G all had things that make the game different.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of what was their favorite version.

The Vet Refuge isn't the place to expect open reception of Positive Post NGE SW:G comments.

The majority of vets on this forum are Anti-NGE and virulent and never moved on after 2006.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

Originally posted by Lowcaian

Yup, I was very upset at the NGE but I knuckled down and held out. Within a couple of months things started to slowly get better. Atmospheric flight was awesome even in it's beta form. I heard it was slated to go live this spring and would have been more polished (another thing that indicates that SOE didn't know what was coming) but I had a lot of fun with it.

They should have made the last GCW an event to be held every year in December the first time it was introduced.

There you go....

Point right there....they were able to get Atmospheric Flight off of TC in record time....and for a game they were shutting down suddenly.....tells me that it was already for Prime Time, and was originally approved by LEC and slated for a probable release during Ewok Love Fest (Ugh, I won't Miss that TBH) update in Feb.

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

Meh, the videos of atmospheric flight looked really lame. Ships popping in and out of the ground? How iconic and starwarsy!

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by OSF8759

Meh, the videos of atmospheric flight looked really lame. Ships popping in and out of the ground? How iconic and starwarsy!

That was down to bad piloting and / or players messing around to see what could be done. If did it too much your ship would blow up, which would still happen to Luke Skywalker if he messed around with it,l although I think the Sorosuub Yacht was immune to it. If the game was going to carry on I bet the devs would have to put in  a fix, but as it was closing there was no time and pointless.

Check this video out

It is laggy / jerky due to my PC, Xfire bogged it right down when recording, which is why I did not do more videos near the end. I should have tried fraps or something, but didn't as thought I would try and get Xfire running more smoothly but did not manage it, and then it was too late.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

2 guys in SOE's basement playing with flight code...  That about sums up why atmospheric flight was buggy as hell, like every other update to this game.

Tecmo Bowl.

• SpiroTrisSpiroTris Member Posts: 60

Lmao, I heard about the atmospheric flight but I thought it was a joke... too bad I missed it... completely forgot about swg and missed the shutdown :(

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Thunderous

2 guys in SOE's basement playing with flight code...  That about sums up why atmospheric flight was buggy as hell, like every other update to this game.

Exactly! Just like everything else they had released the last 3-4 years. Buggy, beta, cheap...SOE gave up on SWG after Hoth.

Originally posted by TUX426

Exactly! Just like everything else they had released the last 3-4 years. Buggy, beta, cheap...SOE gave up on SWG after Hoth.

So...how's ToR going for ya Mate?

Originally posted by hipiap

Quite well, thank you for asking! The guild is growing, PvE is challenging, PvP is booming and I never have nearly enough time to do all the things I'd like to do.

Did you hear, they sold 2 MILLION boxes and retained 1.7 MILLION of them. Pretty impressive huh?!

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Quite well, thank you for asking! The guild is growing, PvE is challenging, PvP is booming and I never have nearly enough time to do all the things I'd like to do.

Did you hear, they sold 2 MILLION boxes and retained 1.7 MILLION of them. Pretty impressive huh?!

Yes very impressive 1/6 of the players quit after their free month was up. Amazing!

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Yes very impressive 1/6 of the players quit after their free month was up. Amazing!

Why so negative?

I look at it as 5/6 of them stayed - but whatever floats your boat. In terms of MMOs, that's a staggeringly high number.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Why so negative?

I look at it as 5/6 of them stayed - but whatever floats your boat. In terms of MMOs, that's a staggeringly high number.

You call it negative I call it a realistic view. It's not bad, nad You have to consider what die hard fans a lot of SW  lovers are. You have to consider a big chunk of this games success is based on the fact it is the only Star Wars IP on th emarket.

Take out the Jedi, and I wonder how many subs this game would still have?

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

Why so negative?

You call it negative I call it a realistic view. It's not bad, nad You have to consider what die hard fans a lot of SW  lovers are. You have to consider a big chunk of this games success is based on the fact it is the only Star Wars IP on th emarket.

Take out the Jedi, and I wonder how many subs this game would still have?

Go ahead and hypothesize about what ifs all you like. It is what it is, and it IS a Star Wars game.

If you wanna speculate that if it were Dragon Age Online, it wouldn't be as successful, I'll agree...but that's mostly because the fantasy games like w0w and GW are so saturated that ANOTHER sword and midget game will never be a huge draw.

If it were Mass Effect Online, I bet it would have similar success because it's NOT another fantasy setting.

No, not really. If they sold 3 million and retained 1.7 million then  perhaps, and did not state that the quarterly report was for the quarter ending Dec 31st 2011

More like 1/6 never activated the game. I bought 3 copies, and only activated one (now cancelled), which is part of the 1.7 million, and the other two are part of the 0.3 million. So 33% of my purchase of SWTOR subbed, and 66% has not yet subbed, but still all part of the overall 2 million

Considering the game was supposed to be a sure fire hit, and EA were worried of selling too many copies and said they were going to halt distribution until population died down, which never happened by the way (not enough people bought it and populations are dropping), shops have still be selling the game, and resellers for profit have been unable to sell the game for a profit.

1/6 of people not activating the game and those cancelling does not compute. The figure is also stated to be for the quarter ending Dec 31st. Everybody was subscribed on Dec 31st, as it was a requirement of activating the game. I even tried immediately cancelling the subscription as soon as activating but it failed, as days before sub was up for renewal, it was still active and ready to take payment, then I successfully cancelled subscription, so for the entire month (about 28 days) the account was active when I thought it was inactive. 

The "in a little over one month" is more likely just meaning for the 2milliion sold, not the 1.7 as it contradicts with "Electronic Arts Inc. EA -4.37% today announced preliminary financial results for its third fiscal quarter ended December 31, 2011"

1/6 of people not activating the product yet seems more likely than 1/6 cancelling subscriptions.

With the way the game has been designed, and people are hitting 50 fast, and Bioware not able to keep up with demand, the game does not look to have a bright future. It is only healthy atm, as people are still not 50, but even those who are playing casually are at 30/40 now, and I played LOTRO hard when it first released and did not even hit 10 within the first month.

Originally posted by superniceguy

No, not really. If they sold 3 million and retained 1.7 million then  perhaps, and did not state that the quarterly report was for the quarter ending Dec 31st 2011

More like 1/6 never activated the game. I bought 3 copies, and only activated one (now cancelled), which is part of the 1.7 million, and the other two are part of the 0.3 million. So 33% of my purchase of SWTOR subbed, and 66% has not yet subbed, but still all part of the overall 2 million

LOL! Fine...selling 3 million would have been better...but then their unbelievable high retention percentage would be lower. Please name ANY MMO in history to launch with better numbers. Any?

btw...your dates are incorrect...but I don't think you care for facts much.

And thank you! As a player who is enjoying the game, your donation to SWTOR and their development costs, is appreciated! I highly encourage you to purchase more copies.

edit: You know what would be funny...if you went to like Best-Buy, Target, Walmart and like bought ALL their copies, just to teach Bioware and LA a lesson. God that'd be cool :)

LOL! Fine...selling 3 million would have been better...but then their unbelievable high retention percentage would be lower. Please name ANY MMO in history to launch with better numbers. Any?

btw...your dates are incorrect...but I don't think you care for facts much.

And thank you! As a player who is enjoying the game, your donation to SWTOR and their development costs, is appreciated! I highly encourage you to purchase more copies.

Selling 3 million and retaining 1.7 million is better as it is more believable. These reports are so bogus, epsecially this, and this report just highlights that.  So therefore can not say whether anything is better or worse in the past at all. There are copies out there that have not even been used, and they are the 0.3 million.

If you take into consideration the fact of people not using their copies then the retention rate is even higher. Basically the figures show 100% retention, and unless people have been all programmed to like SWTOR, then that figure is too high to be believeable. Therefore there is no retention figure being presented in those stats, as EVERYONE was subbed at the time when the 1.7 million was noted, and within their first 30 free days. No one had actually paid to sub at that time at all.

I do not know what you mean by incorrect dates. It specifically says the quater ending Dec 31st. The game has been selling from about July, and was selling preorders in Nov and Dec, so it selling for more than a month there is feasible. If the quarter ends Dec 31st, then having subs for more than a month is not true, as had only 11 days,  therefore the stats for generating 1.7 million subs from the people who actually activated the game makes sense. the remainder 0.3 million is copies unused - people buying the game, and not activating them at all.

Selling 3 million and retaining 1.7 million is better as it is more believable. These reports are so bogus, epsecially this, and this report just highlights that.  So therefore can not say whether anything is better or worse in the past at all. There are copies out there that have not even been used, and they are the 0.3 million.

So...you're accusing them of lying and falsifying information in their quarterly reports to shareholders? This wasn't an interview given to some MMO gaming site dude, it's their reports to the SEC. That's a VERY serious allegation you're making.

http://investor.ea.com/releases.cfm?ReleasesType=Earnings

So...you're accusing them of lying and falsifying information in their quarterly reports to shareholders? This wasn't an interview given to some MMO gaming site dude, it's their reports to the SEC. That's a VERY serious allegation you're making.

http://investor.ea.com/releases.cfm?ReleasesType=Earnings

They are not lying and falsifying information. It is just being presented in good light

Nothing I have said accuses them as lying.

I believe they have had 1.7 subscribers at end of Dec 31st, but somehow you think they lost 0.3 million from 2 million on Jan 20th?

It is bogus because they make you and people like you belive that that 0.3 million subs was lost when it is not possible, The quarterly ending was Dec31st. No one was able to be lost until Jan 20th, so therefore any lost subs is not in that report

It is the same as when Obi-wan said to Luke that Darth Vader killed his father - Just another version of the truth.

What I find amusing about all the ToR Hype is that it supposedly managed GOY 2011 with only 2 weeks of Open Live Play.

Now to be fair I know there are things about TOR that make it a good game.  And I know it had Huge Pre-Orders. And it had Huge "Day 1" active accounts.

But when Gamer Magazines like GameInsider state that it is a great Single Player MMO....

I then wonder if the "SW:G Fanbois" that said it was a mistake to not have both games around are getting proven correct.

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

With the way the game has been designed, and people are hitting 50 fast, and Bioware not able to keep up with demand, the game does not look to have a bright future. It is only healthy atm, as people are still not 50, but even those who are playing casually are at 30/40 now, and I played LOTRO hard when it first released and did not even hit 10 within the first month.

I played LOTRO as well, and was able to hit level 10 in the first DAY.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

What I find amusing about all the ToR Hype is that it supposedly managed GOY 2011 with only 2 weeks of Open Live Play.

Now to be fair I know there are things about TOR that make it a good game.  And I know it had Huge Pre-Orders. And it had Huge "Day 1" active accounts.

But when Gamer Magazines like GameInsider state that it is a great Single Player MMO....

I then wonder if the "SW:G Fanbois" that said it was a mistake to not have both games around are getting proven correct.

This doesn't make a lick of sense.

1. There's plenty to do in TOR in groups.

2. SWG was a goddamn disaster at the end.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295

Originally posted by kobie173

This doesn't make a lick of sense.

1. There's plenty to do in TOR in groups.

2. SWG was a goddamn disaster at the end.

What groups?

Soon(TM) time for server merges. What a joke...

Originally posted by kobie173

I played LOTRO as well, and was able to hit level 10 in the first DAY.

Most of my characters in LOTRO are still 8 and 9 after 5 years! I'm sure you could get to 10 in a day if you just concentrated on the main quests and levlling and did not get distracted by various things, but in SWTOR there is hardly any other places to explore in it, other than the areas which take you on your quests.

LOTRO is probably the best MMO based off the WOW formula, a game based off the movies, has better crafting, a decent housing system, plenty of seasonal events, fishing, and a decent open world environment to explore, and could go anywhere you want, even if too low level, as long as you stay on the main path and be careful, and has a good story based main quest with cut scenes.

It was also doing pretty good even before it went F2P. The reason I understood for it going F2P was because WB took over Turbine, and to make it go on the same payment model as DDO, as opposed to declining populations, and each expansion has gotten awards