Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: What is a “WoW Killer?”

1235»

Comments

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

as someone said wow is slowly commiting suicde themselfs, wow started out as a game with its own style and flavour but now, it seems they havent got a clue wow used to be cloned but it seems wow is doing the cloning now, 1 example is the pokemon type system their bringing  in MoP, instead of making ther own version they have just gone al out an copyed it. another thing that is helping them along the way is the pandas, i know they have been in  the lore of the game for ages but there are some things you just dont do, you can but you dont. example of this is the DBZ movie, it can be done but it sodent but they did it and it failed the same may occur here, it wont all out kill it but may cause severe hemorrhaging

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

I don't know. WoW is a major comfort zone for a lot of people. My best friend and his son played during vanilla and quit for BC. I played from BC, but I always tried to get them to come back. 2 years later, I've moved on and they are back in WoW again with 85s and asked me to come back. I really don't want to play WoW again, but I thought about it because it would be fun to arena together.

Then I thought $15 to reactivate but $25 per toon I want to transfer to their server...for a game I really don't feel like playing...nah.  I tried to get them to play another game like SWTOR, Rift, anything, but they just weren't into trying anything new with all the time and effort they have invested into their toons.

Most people find a comfort zone and they like to stay in it. Only a small percentage of us (like people who are part of this mmorpg.com community) are into trying new mmorpgs. So, only WoW can kill itself, or Titan. No game that copies WoW will do it even if  it leeches substantial portions of WoW's sub base.

EDIT: If WoW had free transfers like Rift, I would have resubbed. But apparently, they are making more money through these player "services" and cash shop stuff than from subs. No, I don't have a link, but I read it somewhere on the internet ;)

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

:) not SWTOR thats for sure

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Originally posted by gilgamesh42

:) not SWTOR thats for sure

Haha yep.  That's for damn sure.

• jtheceltjthecelt Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by munecaroon

A game that goes back to the roots (no clone) or brings new mechanics that work would be a WoW killer

Yah it's Called Dark Age Of Camelot, plz do another

There can only be a few

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364

Pandas are the true wow killer :P

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    WoW killer is a myth, a dream wish, sort of like the Second Coming of Christ, or Atlantis.

The only real WoW killer will be Blizzard, no one else. 'WoW competitors', sure, enough. WoW killer? Right... >.>

Have another drink, it's on me.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

Originally posted by Skuall

Pandas are the true wow killer :P

i not a fan of wow anymore and havent been for years now because of how "easy mode" it has become but how is giving a game more races / classes a bad thing..and in wows case how could this make it even more worse than it has already gotten? sure it may seem funny to poke fun ..but rly? explain? jealousy is a bioch and i rly dont see why any game has to die..everyone complains about wanting something new..and when its released its damb near a carbon copy of wow and everyone wants / loves it..imo they just need more options in mmo's flooding the market with these theampark mmo's is what has nearly killed the genra and has totally killed off some games to boot

mmorpg's NEED sandbox games

mmorpg's NEED ffa pvp with no questing

mmorpg's NEED theampark games

mmorpg's NEED moabs games

instead nowa days devs / companys are rushing out as quik as possible to pump out a theampark game cuz they know "hey wow did cheap / simple..maybe we can make a quick buck?! and who knows it may be a huge hit"  we need every type of these mmo's not making some sick twisted hybid of a game that is utter crap..we need some devs out there that can stand for making something other than "THE FLAVOR OF THE MONTH" or of the year and put some verity back into mmorpg's..but it seems no1 is in it for making something worth while ..just making the all and mighty quick buck / payday

• UpLeftRowUpLeftRow Member Posts: 2

I totally agree, what killed WoW was blizzard. LOL. The game was great when it was first released, but they had to ruin it with these new developers..that have no clue what the game was about

• omidusomidus Member UncommonPosts: 99

People need to get over whatever next MMO is going to be a WoW killer and understand the only wow killer is blizzard's own next gen mmo/single player game.

New MMO devs need to take everything wow's done right holding onto those millions of subscribers and learn how to improve on what wow has done right. SWTOR is on it's way to become WoW's biggest competitor. Now it's up to the new MMO game to be better on those concepts and the way they evolve with the players.

• thepithollthepitholl Member UncommonPosts: 1

are you all stupid if you are saying that eavery game is a wow clone? ware there no mmorpg games before wow? and mabey all of you shuld try living a real life rather playing???

• ooblaoobla Member Posts: 87

Theres been no Ultima Online killer yet ;) .

If we are talking about a game that will overtake WoW in terms of popularity of course there will be a WoW killer eventually its only a matter of time . WoWs subs are decreasing theres other mmos coming out all the time and eventually one will overtake WoW in terms of subs numbers .

Essentially every mmo thats released is a WoW killer even if it doesn't finnish it off it offers another  option for the disgrunted WoW player and thus is another nail in its coffin .

But I would agree the most damaging thing to Warcraft has been Blizzard itself . I've just read they are going to accept product placement in thier games . Although I doubt we'll see Coca Cola adds all over Stormwind .

Then again with the Pandaland expansion I wouldn't rule anything out from Blizzard .

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

if you just can't stand playing WoW any longer just kill the game for yourself and stop playing it.  i don't see the deserate need for the game to actually die, its not like game companies would all of a sudden start making awesome games.

(not saying other games aren't good, some are good some are bad :P)

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• zinger71zinger71 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    The WoW killer will be "time". Period.
  • Jackal02Jackal02 Member Posts: 6

in all honesty as a former wow player of 4 years. as well as many other games (3x 1 tarabite hard drives full of ftp ptp and mixed games). the only wow killer will be Blizzard.  hands down the points at which their game's player base lowers the most from long term players (3 month or more playing the game short term players come and go every day as people just trying out the game) is from content patches not fixing issues that the community or just members of it wish to be addressed. 

"you cant please every one" but blizzard trys to and when some one trys to make every one happy they will undoubtably make at least one portion think they werent given enough attention.

take the dungon finder that was released during wotlk. 

many casual and smaller guilds found it to be as valueable as a lump of gold being thrown into their hand via patching.  it alowed them to get groups quickly and progress with out haveing to wait for hours for people to get online or to find a pug that wouldnt fall appart ont he last boss of a dungon. 

however many people who had worked hard in game to progressed to get their guilds able to raid the raid dungons found that it was kind of insulting to their hard work that people were now able to if they had time farm the 5 man dungons and get the last content patches gear for just a few days or weeks worth of work. 

to fix this cata comes out and they up the dificulty of the dungons by takeing back some of the aoeing abilities of mainly tanks, and adding in a lot more specailized fights with both bosses and sub bosses (ie pulls that required a stragity other then just spank the tanks target).

doing this you lose a lot of the casual base who now have to gear up to level 85 blues or higher to do heroics where as for the last 1.25 or so years they only had to be in level 75+ blues or 80 greens to get level 80 heroics (mostly because dungon finder would get them into the dungons with a level 80 who had raid gear for healing or tanking and the dungon would be easly won).

but then the hard core gamers were happy with that of corse this is just looking at one feature the other features of the game get taken into effect and you can see that even though many are loyal to wow (hell i was) blizzard cant hold them all due to trying to bring new content, haveing it feel fresh and polished, but still easly accessed while chalenging. 

here are just a few of the groups they try to please every content patch/change to the game.

hard core gamers, hard core gamers that insit on haveing 2 or more maxed out raid ready charactors (im adhd i understand how these feel), casual players who want to have some raiding, casual players who just want to do the smaller stuff and enjoy time with others they likely know in rl (something dungon finder hindered in its implimentation of being battle group based and not server based *shurg*) and you have the new players as well as the returning players who all want to be able to progress with out spending a year for every year the game came out to catch up to the current commonly played content (ie i dont mind levelign a toon for 1-2 months to get to the level cap i know its slow for some but fast compared to others, however i dont care to freaking level more then 20 levels with out some grouping involved, i have rpgs for that i dont play an mmo to be alone i love to say i soloed XXXXXX mob but i love more to say my raid downed YYYY dungon with little to no trouble)

one last thing, if you belive in a wow killer then you probly dont realize the history and current state of mmo's ultima, daoc, eq1 (heck eq2) these games are still being played on servers today, mostly for subscription fees at or near bliz on wow.  players will continue to play wow even after another game comes out in the next 5 years (i dont see it holding top spot longer then that) that will have bigger account numbers, but it likely wont be one that blocks multi boxers as 99% of them are still on wow beacuse they enjoy the challenge of playing more then 1 account at a time and i dont know of a good game other then wow that lets you do that any more.  5x accounts 75 dollars a month + expantion rev's = a few botters would more then pay for most of the games out there that block it and are dwindleing.

if you call some one a homo, you likely are hitting on them.

• Jackal02Jackal02 Member Posts: 6

if panda's are the true wow killer then why is star wars still being, played, read about, watched on tvs, watched as movies, perchased as toys, figures, posters and 100's of other merchandise options after JAR JAR BINKS? panda's wont kill wow they are just a scape goat for your lack of being able to type out your issues with wow.

if you call some one a homo, you likely are hitting on them.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

I'm going with this to the servers. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0lvp7a7pmk

Effective if a little messy.