Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why people quit !

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

I quit playing becuase the game felt generic. But that one is on me as I prefer established IPs. Also, the rifts were awesome, but the first time I closed one only to have it reopen right on top of me, I realized it was just a gimmic.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Originally posted by page

I hate to use WoW as an example, but the world was open to do anything when ever, who ever, however....No rules !....Rift could never ever be a WoW killer unless they change the game ALL AROUND.  But we all know that once released the game is really done.

Well you probably shouldn't compare it to WoW then.....WoW's quest structure is the exact same as Rift, all the problems you had grouping with friends are mimmicked in WoW; it has quest chains so you have to start at the beginning together or play catch up, which just like rift seems pointless because all the quests are soloable. Where you got this sandbox impression of WoW is beyond me....no rules? really? Have you played WoW in the last 5 years?

Simply put, pve quest chains are Rift's 'solo' content. You group with friends for dungeons, raids, rifts and pvp. Out of 5 major components to the game, having one be a solo sphere doesn't make this game unfriendly to grouping.

In fact, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a good game out there that focused on small group play for completing standard quests. Load up Vanguard maybe.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Originally posted by DerWotan

I left Rift because:

- I win Macros able to do 6+ abilities with one button game playing the damage role which I hated as a healer turned into hammer 1!!! button

Could someone translate this for me?

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Originally posted by Zorgo

I left Rift because:

- I win Macros able to do 6+ abilities with one button game playing the damage role which I hated as a healer turned into hammer 1!!! button

http://www.riftmacros.com/how-to-make-rift-macros/

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by Zorgo

I left Rift because:

It says, "if you can read this, you probably have your nose to close to the monitor and your head way too far up your a.." nvm

:)

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

I decided not to buy Rift in Beta because.... 

The touted truly dynamic world was well.... basically random static spawns that did the same thing repeatedly so thats the opposite of dynamic in my book

The soul system was not thought out properly with lots of wasted points in repeated skills across souls...Trion didn't really have a clue on how many points they should give players, they started with 51 so you could have one maxed soul but if you want specific skills from all 3 trees you would never get the top skill of one.... so after a lot of players pointing this out they raised to 71 if I remember rightly. For me this just screamed we haven't a clue what we are doing.

The incredibly linear and lackluster questing system, they went so far as to have bugger all quest text so no proper lore or story was really going to develop. I bet they did that because "nobody reads quest text anyway and it'll save money and dev time not to have to write any"

The super/ultra/easy leveling curve I couldn't believe this one the games was so easy that I levelled from level 10 to 15 naked to see if it was possible I got a couple of saucy /whispers ingame and some lol's as well. What were Trion thinking with such a fast levelling curve because they knew they had one because they made your character walk as if they were walking in treacle and then they put mobs everywhere to slow you down as well and it was still fast this one beggars belief for an MMO especially with my next complaint.

No replay value what so ever no alternative questing paths, shared high level zones the only reason to role an alt was to role another archetype but all archetypes had Tanks, Heal, CC, DPS in them so whats the point. Really Trion this is an MMO.

There are more but others have mentioned those like small world, irrelevant crafting etc... What on paper could have been an awesome follow up to classic MMO's Trion decided to make a limited, small, lacking, predictable and easy game that most who bought it finished within the free month. So much for "moving the genre on the day it releases" Eh!

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

I quit because the game was too small .I felt cramped .It would have been nice if was larger in terms of size but it was like a snickers bar all packed with goodness in a small bar but there are only so many snickers one can eat.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

I enjoyed the game just because of the awesome guild I was in, Gaiscioch. They were great fun to play with, huge server events twice a week, they made the game feel like it wasn't just a solo quest game. Look em up on Faeblight if you want to enjoy some great guild events.

The reason I quit was becasue of the incredibly poorly thought out macro system and there were other games I was playing that had monthly fees as well.

• LluluienLluluien Member Posts: 54

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by nickster29

That sounds like what I was doing on my P8 rogue right after the buff.  So many low rank rogues rolling in PvP as MM, easy fodder for a P8 NB/RS with raid weapons (legendary GSB bow / 2 swords off Murdantix).

Unfortunately, this is also why I quit.  Incredibly boring to PvP when you can slaughter half a team by yourself.

You should really read the 1.7 patch notes or pvp thread that is on this forum. While I doubt it is mostly talk and you will never actually return Trion did listen. I am not sure why Trion even bothered to waste time on pvp considering this is the general attitude of people who quit, but whatever.

I have little to no faith that pvp'rs will return with 1.7 and even if they do they will simply just quit again once GW2 is released. You guys are not going to get any real support for RvR or any other stuff you want because of this attitude of unsub until I get what I want. The people that satyed sub'd should take priority.

I can't speak for nickster29, but I stayed for about 3 months after I first started seeing problems, and I even stayed 5 weeks while they dragged out responding to the PVP Rift exploits only to end it with a handslap after they hoped the issue was faded from memory and they wouldn't get caught.  The problems Rift had when I left didn't get fixed for another several more  months after I left?

I'm not sure what kind of patience you think we're supposed to have.  I thought I probably gave them a month longer than I should have, and it's obvious now that they FINALLY patch only some of these problems that I could've given them 6 months and it still wouldn't have been done in time to keep me.

The fact is in 1.7 that they're just replacing the gear gap problem with a PVP PA gap problem now anyway, since an R8 player is still going to have 15-20 PA levels in the PVP track over an R5 player.

Last verse, same as the first.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

I only played the Beta, but it`s enough like the other games that I`m playing that I had no great desire to continue on into a sub.  It most definately is not a bad game - however I enjoy what I`m playing currently and don`t have the time to add another game into the mix.

Nothing at ALL against Trion - really do hope their game is a continued success - there`s plenty of room in the MMO field!

• airheadairhead Member UncommonPosts: 718

Skyrim.... FUS-RO-DAH !

Came back though after that 2-mo diversion...

I've played 5+ MMOs over last 10 years... Rift kicks A. The class/build system is the best I've ever seen, (well, for me at least; I enjoy figuring-out how to play as much as playing I guess)

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

cause scripted mmo isnt enough!gm need to also participate

• TyvolusNextTyvolusNext Member Posts: 192

laughable how many people on here are playing SWTOR and the comments they make about why they quit RIFT are ever present and then some in their Star Wars game.  *shakes head*

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

Originally posted by Puremallace

I left Rift because:

- added idiot lottery known as dungeon finder

- added addons

- nerfed expert dungeons into oblivion I mean wth theres a reason why they are called expert dungeons right?

- started to nerf/buff classes because of PvP reasons

- didn't offer anything beside combat - combat and oh did I forget combat?

- graphics are not what I expect from a game coming out in 2011.

- no open group areas despite Rifts

- no dungeon crawling

- no custom stats

- no real death penalty

- gear looking horrible

but I really applaud Trion for keeping up the incredible fast patches, hopefully they never turn into a shareholders driven company.

Welcome to 2012. Any mmo that actually does this right here will fail extremely fast. This is just a fact. Either learn Korea and find a fake Korean social security number because the American playerbase is not that hardcore anymore.

If you want entertainment go check out the TOR or WoW forums sometimes and look for a "IQuit" post and see if they are not asking for something they had in Rift. The pvp'rs asking for stuff they had in Rift is the ultimate irony because Rift got labeled a failed pvp game lol

ROFL with this again. Just fyi... PVPers would NEVER ask for Rift style pvp..... NEVER. And just stop with all the " OH every game from here to eternity will ask for featuers found in Rift cause its the bestest everest!!!" Your just embarrassing yourself now.

• SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189

I had fun in rift for a few months but then left for a few different reasons.

pvp reasons - lack of meaningful pvp, fotm classes, gear gap, amount of grind for gear. 

I think they should have made faction based npc invasions on towns were people could join in for pvp purposes.

other reasons i quit were stupid world events, when i first heard about the world events i was expecting so much more with things such as capitol city invasions and all out war but all we got was a different kind of rift to farm every month.

also the lack of a real rppvp server,  I was on sunrest ( very sad to hear it just went to a trial server) and it was just a regular pvp server so i transfered to faeblight but was not impressed doing a pvp daily and seeing the other faction not even flagged for pvp on a pvp quest, which is on of the stupidest quest designs i have ever seen in any game.

I also think that the server transfers messed things up for my server as more defient moved in and more guardians left, and then the other probelm of the guardians on sunrest being cowards who refused to leave the capital city for some world pvp.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Its boring because you have to play alone? I'm never alone in Rift, and I'm guildless.

Nonstop warfronts, nonstop rifting, plus dungeon running.

My only knock on Rift is the leveling 1-50 is pointless, and drives players away for the reason you stated. Once you get to 50, though, the game is insanely varied. Can't believe you said you felt alone. Rift feels more populated than any other game, imo.

One day in Rfit I spent more time grouping than 4 weeks in SWTOR. Of course, you may actually have to play a role other than DPS to achieve these results.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

There were several things that annoyed me about the game but I quit because of 3 major issues I had with Rift:

1. I got sick and tired of the waiting around to do stuff. Waiting in dungeon queue for tank. Waiting for my guild so we can do something. Waiting for those few extra people, in order to form a complete raid. Waiting for my chance to get gear. Just bored of waiting to have fun.

2. I hated the PvP in this game, because it was nothing but an unbearable gear grind. I had 4 characters an I couldn't get any of them beyond Rank 2 Prestige, because getting two-shotted just isn't fun. I hear Patch 1.7 will fix a lot of the PvP issues but I won't go back because of my 3rd issue.

3. I just hate feeling like I'm forced to play a game, just to get my money's worth and that's how I feel when playing a subscription-based game.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

You know, in reality, you go to a theme park every now and then and you spend a few hours in it and you have a good time and then you go home.

But these companies pretend like we want to go to a themepark and stay in it 7 days a week, 31 days a month and so on.

And they're wrong! They're, falt out, freaking, wrong.

Add a new Rollercoaster... Thats great, yay, ride it a few times, done!

Until these companies make a game that isn't a Themepark... They're never going to retain citizens. CITIZENS.  You want people live in your game, then build them a world they want to stay in.

Not a themepark.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Well, It's because a caret-on a stick game.  

More like THE carrot on stick game. And the stick is one of the longest out there. There are literally dozens of different in-game currencies and prices are ridiculously high. Dailies award very little rep and sometimes they are pretty much the only way to get rep.

Want to get marks for HK set w/o actually raiding? It'll take 17 (!) months. In fact, even T1 raid gear takes months. And when you finally get it, you realize that even at this level regular gear design is intentionally made (!) ugly to force players to buy appearance-only items which means additional grind.

They should have called it Rift: Planes of Grind. People leave because Trion developers don't even try to fix countless bugs or seriously look into balance issues. They don't care and they never cared. They didn't want to make an interesting game to start with. They only wanted to FORCE people to resub one way or another. They forgot (or never knew?) that people only resub because the game is fun to play, not because they need to fill another meaningless bar or farm more of meaningless something.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• CericXCericX Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by wowfan1996

Well, It's because a caret-on a stick game.  

More like THE carrot on stick game. And the stick is one of the longest out there. There are literally dozens of different in-game currencies and prices are ridiculously high. Dailies award very little rep and sometimes they are pretty much the only way to get rep.

Want to get marks for HK set w/o actually raiding? It'll take 17 (!) months. In fact, even T1 raid gear takes months. And when you finally get it, you realize that even at this level regular gear design is intentionally made (!) ugly to force players to buy appearance-only items which means additional grind.

They should have called it Rift: Planes of Grind. People leave because Trion developers don't even try to fix countless bugs or seriously look into balance issues. They don't care and they never cared. They didn't want to make an interesting game to start with. They only wanted to FORCE people to resub one way or another. They forgot (or never knew?) that people only resub because the game is fun to play, not because they need to fill another meaningless bar or farm more of meaningless something.

While nothing anyone says will change your mind, I must say... you're doing it wrong. With the exception of Unseen, rep is very quick and easy. The method is very simple.

1. Go in a dungeon. Kill things. WIN! (This gives Rep for each thing killed!!) To get to glorified you might have to run one a few times.

2. Do the regular quests, the daily quests, Instant Adventure, grind mobs... you should get the point about now.

The HK plaques given as a reward for expert dungeons is NOT to replace plaques from raiding, but to supplement it. Lets face it, if you aren't actually raiding...you just don't need the gear. You won't use it for PvP will you? Do you need it to kill mobs? Complete quests? For Chronicles? For Experts?

If at this point in progression you can't get T1 Raid gear inside a couple weeks then you're just not trying. Multiple 10 mans, 2 T1 Raids, bonus plaques from Dungeons.. T1 equivalent crafted gear.. Expert raids (maybe not so much) Raid Rifts...absolutely.

To complain as you have about the most touted customer support of any MMO with the quickest response time and most active content schedule of any MMO... It is possible that you might not find happiness out there. I'm sorry things didn't work out and you couldn't find any friends to play with. As I understand it, you might find companionship on the WoW forum though...wowfan1996...

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

I actually loved the game.

The only reason I left:

I've pretty much only played "high fantasy" mmo's since UO.

At the moment, I'm just burnt out on fantasy.

For a change of pace I currently play DCU, STO and Eve.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I left because when I completed leveling, I found myself at the standard gear grind end game of raids/instanced BG's....

Yeah,  I knew going in that it was like this, was hoping the addition of Rifts would have changed it up a bit...

It really didn't.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288

I think most posters in this thread need to realize they want a Sandbox not a Themepark.  Stop playing themeparks, go pick up Darkfall or EvE online.  All your complaints are solved lol.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

still got active 4-5 months left, knew this will happen, so i dont mind one bit, considering all i paid was less than 10 pounds, to get game and those 4 months +1 from game

enjoyed game a lot, just at some point in gear grind towards t2 raids , i just thought, na i dont really need this, i dont need to have daily raids, even if enjoy them i hate them more than i enjoy doing them

time contrains and all that, and endless gear grind, constant lack of new content, hardcore raiders will never have enough pve content

still think rift is one of best theme parks in the market

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Originally posted by CericX
    With the exception of Unseen, rep is very quick and easy.

Conveniently you forgot to mention that The Unseen is the only faction worth getting rep with. Besides, L50 rewards from any faction require Revered and Revered takes forever even if you do a lot of dungeons.

Originally posted by CericX
    If at this point in progression you can't get T1 Raid gear inside a couple weeks then you're just not trying.

I can't even get 200 hit/focus I need for T1 raids, not to mention getting into raids themselves. Well, actually I was in GSB once... we wiped 50 times on the second boss before calling it. That is all.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).