Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pandas as "monks"?

2»

Comments

• truthhurtstruthhurts Member Posts: 74

Originally posted by Dragim

So people have said Eagle = U. S.

What would this eagle do?  Shoot guns and use drones on innocent people?  Maybe have some torture attacks? lol..

WoW actually does have an american themed race in the game.  The Tauren are obviously based off of native americans, however the cow doesnt really make so much sense.  The Taunka, however, are a perfect fit (Buffalo).

• ShorunShorun Member UncommonPosts: 247

Pandas are Asian and Fighting Monks are Asian. You could as well create Panda Soldiers but since Soldiers are also part of every other culture, it's ovious to make them monks.

If you create a character based on South-American background it would most probably be a Medicine-Man.

If you create a character based on Skandinavian background it would most probably be a Reindeer Barbarian.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Asian themed race

Asian themed areas for that Asian themed race

Asian themed class coming from the Asian themed areas

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

At least they added no Ninjas or Samurai :P

They needed a new class and new area.  It also helps that quite a lot of the playerbase plays in asia.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I'm still holding out hope for beavers.

(well, not in that particular expansion, but some day)

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Originally posted by bartoni33

Originally posted by Slampig

I am just curious where this idea came from?

Did this idea originate with Kung Fu Panda, that pandas are some how good at martial arts and being a monk?

I have 3 examples, that I just don't understand why these games insist on making pandas monks/karate fighters?

World of Warcraft -- I suppose people claim that the pandas have always been karate fighters in WoW lore, but where and why did this come about?  Why pandas = karate?  Is it because they generally are in asian countries?

Wakfu/Dofus -  Again, pandas are monks/karate people.  Why?  This is a game made by Square Enix/French developers, why pandas = karate? and why pandas?!  Why not...bears?...or crocodiles? Why pandas?

Eligium -  No idea who makes this game, or anything, I just found out about it today, but low and behold, they have pandas who do what? engage in karate/monk activities...why?!

------

Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate pandas who fight with kung fu, I am just curious where and why this came about?  But why?  Why do all these games keep insisting Pandas are kung fu masters?  Why pandas and why kung fu?  Why not a Panda who coughs up furballs and sets them on fire?

Why not a crocodile who knows kung fu?  Why not any other type of animal, why pandas, why elves, why humans?  Why no innovation/something new?

Ok..i am ranting a little now...but where did these kung fu pandas come from?!

For real?

Heh you caught that too?

Panda's are not bears. They are genetically closer related to Racoons than bears.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

The pandaren are actually more of samurai warriors in most of the concept art I've seen, but that was offensive to China. The panda is a symbol of China and the samurai was a warrior from the era of when Japan was at war with China. They since then changed the armor that the pandaren wear.

Art done by Samwise.

http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/gallery.php?artist=samwise

http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/viewer.php?artist=samwise&cat=warcraft&art=169

He done tons of art of warrior and monk pandaren, but most seem to lean on the warrior feel. The image above was one of his earliest pandaren sketches done in 1999. To hint how old that is, it was about 3 years before Warcraft 3.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

It's ironic, really, seeing as pandas are super slow moving and extremely non-physical in the wild.

I couldn't imagine anything more unlikely than a "kung-fu panda", lol, unless it's a fighting style that throws one punch and then has a half-hour nap...

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Panda's are not bears. They are genetically closer related to Racoons than bears.

You are wrong. The giant Panda that the Pandarians are based off of are bears.

For many decades the precise taxonomic classification of the giant panda was under debate because it shares characteristics of both bears and raccoons.[43] However, molecular studies suggest that the giant panda is a true bear and part of the Ursidae family,[44][45] though it differentiated early in history from the main ursine stock. The giant panda's closest extant relative is the spectacled bear of South America

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_panda

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Panda monks (ex: Eligium, Dofus, WoW)  are right up there with feather headgear on lizardmen (ex: Free Realms, SB, Horizons, WOW). It's one of those areas where two things seemed to work together based on a barely tenable but remotely plausible connection.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by GreenHell

For many decades the precise taxonomic classification of the giant panda was under debate because it shares characteristics of both bears and raccoons.[43] However, molecular studies suggest that the giant panda is a true bear and part of the Ursidae family,[44][45] though it differentiated early in history from the main ursine stock. The giant panda's closest extant relative is the spectacled bear of South America

Yeah, and people from Japan often turns into pandas for some mysterious reason.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

I am just curious where this idea came from?

Did this idea originate with Kung Fu Panda, that pandas are some how good at martial arts and being a monk?

I have 3 examples, that I just don't understand why these games insist on making pandas monks/karate fighters?

World of Warcraft -- I suppose people claim that the pandas have always been karate fighters in WoW lore, but where and why did this come about?  Why pandas = karate?  Is it because they generally are in asian countries?

Wakfu/Dofus -  Again, pandas are monks/karate people.  Why?  This is a game made by Square Enix/French developers, why pandas = karate? and why pandas?!  Why not...bears?...or crocodiles? Why pandas?

Eligium -  No idea who makes this game, or anything, I just found out about it today, but low and behold, they have pandas who do what? engage in karate/monk activities...why?!

------

Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate pandas who fight with kung fu, I am just curious where and why this came about?  But why?  Why do all these games keep insisting Pandas are kung fu masters?  Why pandas and why kung fu?  Why not a Panda who coughs up furballs and sets them on fire?

Why not a crocodile who knows kung fu?  Why not any other type of animal, why pandas, why elves, why humans?  Why no innovation/something new?

Ok..i am ranting a little now...but where did these kung fu pandas come from?!

The whole Panda's as monks started from simple association, not an official symbol.  By and large most people think martial arts originated in Asia, they think that martial arts are more practiced and a cultural norm, whether this is true or not or is a result of movies or not is irrelevant, thats what people think.  (as a side not the earliest form of martial arts on record is Egypt).

When people think of asia they also tend to think of Panda's.  That's it nothing more.  Both Panda's and Martials Arts are "iconically asian"

Venge

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

Pandas are from China. Kung fu monks are from China. They needed a new race to use for their new monk class, you get pandas. It's not that fucking hard to figure out. 

• kroz318kroz318 Member UncommonPosts: 26

Why so serious? That just kept popping into my head reading this

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Pandas are bears again, huh?

Maybe there's hope for Pluto to reclaim planet status too!

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

Holy shit, did none of you play Warcraft III?

Now I'm further beginning to think that most MMO players are skilless people who spend long nights doing repititve tasks because they can't play or do anything that requires thinking, prediction, or twitch.

Warcraft III came out in 2002.

Kung Fu Panda came out in 2008.

Tell me who copied who?

Also, the original Pandaren was in Warcraft 3's "secret" RPG mode. He was a Brewmaster that was hinted at being drunk 24/7, and beating the shit out of people with his bostaff. Now lets play with stereotypes:

Pandas = Represent Chinese

Chinese = Known very well for kung fu

Kung Fu = Heavily related to Monks

I can't believe at the amount of people who think Pandaren Brewmasters were copied from Kung Fu Panda. I mean Blizzard normally copies most of their shit (SC = Aliens vs Predator, Warcraft = Warhammer) but the facts are actually here for this one saying "no they didn't".

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Originally posted by Saerain

The pandaren predate Kung Fu Panda by five years. Does no one remember WarCraft III?

You mean World of Warcraft was not the first Warcraft game ever published?

Oh my...

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

Pandas are bears again, huh?

Maybe there's hope for Pluto to reclaim planet status too!

Dude, start linking to something better than wikipedia because last I recall pandas belong to a family called ursidae...which most bears belong into.

Oh wait, pandas are related to Godzilla of the Zilla family right? Which is from the class "dragons".

Not sure if trolling, stupid, retarded, or just uneducated.

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by Lienhart

Blizzard normally copies most of their shit (SC = Aliens vs Predator, Warcraft = Warhammer) but the facts are actually here for this one saying "no they didn't".

Something has always bothered me about WoW and EQ2 also.

1) Both games were in development at the same time.

2) Both games have a large low-level barren wasteland zone (Barrens, Commonalnds)

3) Each of these zones has a town in the center named The Crossroads

4) The Barrens contains a zone called Wailing Caverns; The Commonlands contains a zone called Wailing Caves

I cant help but feel someone leaked info to someone while these games were being developed.