Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The More I Play SWTOR, the More I Miss SWG's Crafting and Other Stuffs

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

I am serious, considering the game got shut down when the populations were rising, and they did not wait a month or two to see if populations would drop again, and considering they were in discussions of merging servers further in 2012, and that they said that they could not fix the problems without rewriting the code, which was not possible with game active, and now the game is shut down they now have the opportunity to do just that.

I am not expecting it to happen, but I will not be surrpised if SWG comes back, better than before, unlike you two. I hope it does, as the look on your faces (if I could see them) will be priceless!!

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by superniceguy

NGE was a shell of what SWG originally was but SWTOR is a shell of what the NGE was. I never paid a penny for the TCG except for the stuffed Tauntaun as money went to a good cause, and SOE paid double to them what I paid to SOE for it.

Obviously not everyone will like all systems, but the lack of systems in SWTOR means players will not stick at the game so long, and therefore will not be in game to join in stuff you may like

eg if someone likes to craft, create pets, make up quests via chronicles, RE, harvest resource etc then if you come online and want to do Heroics or PVP, then you could ask the person doing these things if they want to join you.

As SWTOR does not have these things, .........

Um....come again? TOR has Crafting,RE,Resource Gathering AND it allows you to be a fully specced combat class with one character. You couldn't do that in SWG, or at least not when I played it. If you wanted to be a  crafter, you had to go weaponsmith,armoursmith etc. and grinding that type of toon was boring as shit.  In fact, before NGE you weren't even allowed a second character slot unless you went jedi.  So there wasn't any of this "crafting types" doing PVP or anything else that required combat unless the content required a crafter. Or unless that player plucked down the money for an alt.

There is plenty for people to do in TOR.  I myself run space when I get tired of land. If I don't feel like doing the class story I have my heroics. If I feel like grouping up for the harder quests then I do. If I don't feel like doing any questing then I can always gather resources to sell or craft. I might even go exploring for the datacrons. I'm having a far bigger blast in TOR than I ever did in SWG.

Far as the chronicles goes you can have that garbage. Fan creaed content is usually horrible tripe.It reminds me of when I once read that fan created Star Trek book series that ran for awhile. Some of the worse stories I ever read in my life and these were suppose to be the cream of the crop in the contest. It's been the same in any game that makes the mistake of wasting resources on creating that type of system instead of hiring professionals to do it. No thanks.

SWTOR is a shallow, jumbled single player game that wants to be a MMO...Crafting is mostly obsolete, and is just a grind commendation wheel...I fail to see how that is exciting...I was so excited that I couldn't even bother to log in for the last 3 weeks, even though I wasn't playing another MMO, and canceled my sub.  Shortest time I have ever played a MMO that I bought.

I got my money out of it, as a group rpg, but as a MMO it is horrible imo.  SWG had problems, but it was also a lot older, and they didn't spend even close to the amount of money they did on SWTOR, if you did a dollar for dollar champ, SWTOR wouldn't even be allowed in the discussion.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Originally posted by Hauken

I really hated the NGE, but i got to say that even the NGE is a better game than SWTOR as an MMORPG. SWTOR is a good game as a single player game with co-op options. nothing more.

^^^

THIS!

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• NasjaNasja Member Posts: 47

They said that they could not fix the problems in SWG without reworking the game from the ground up, which would have meant closing SWG down temporaily. I am hoping that with SWG shut down they are in the works getting this sorted, but not saying anything so as not to get peoples hopes up.

They aren't going to shutdown swg "temporarily" to sort things out. Also, both us and lucasarts wouldn't want $OE to be hosting that game again. Devs like T2 and Hjal were cool but as long as they work for $OE, everything has to go through John $medley which is bad news. No, if the time is spend to make swg2 by a different company, then thats good news however looking at the current ecomony and the majority of the mmo community, it will be tough.

Imagine if they were able to get the code and the servers working flawlessly with the NGE code, and being able to have up 200 v 200 PVP open world playablity. Something that SWTOR is not capable of doing, as you can only have a max of about 200 online at one time due to its instancing. SWTOR may be smoother but only because they limit the number of people in one area

It doesn't matter. Swtor has what they want. They have instanced and open world pvp and as far as I have seen, people aren't complaining about lack of numbers, just about issues and number imbalances in open world pvp. Otherwise, they have pvp servers which is what a good portion of the pvp community wants. There is always pvp just because everyone on the server is flagged for pvp.

The story content and choosing options in a MMO just gets in the way I find, and pushes your group out, and is also there in Flashpoints. It is interestiing to a point but overall annoying, as some will want to space bar and some will want to view, and if you really want to see how your character respinds to your choice but then get to see the choice of what some one else chose, can be annoying. Mass Effect 3 may get the better mix of singler player / multiplayer aspect, as what I can tell single player just has the traditional story driven content with choices, but multiplayer does not.

Spacebar smashers have the choice of waiting for others or they can choose to only group up with other spacebar smashers when flashpoint groups are created, making it clear they will do that. And questing together in the open world is imo very annoying. I have seen too many people who jump on their speeder as soon as they are out of combat, they aggro heaps of npc's too.

But lets face it, you don't have to group up for legacy in swg. The same goes for most of the story in swtor. Story does sell for the more single player minded people. mmo doesn't mean - necessary to group up.

Without these extra things like fishing, then it makes it not worth paying the monthly fee, and ME3 without a montly fee will give those not interested in fishing the better option.

People who fish tend to be be in game as much as they can, but those who PvP, usually come online and if no one to PvP with will then log off,. but if the person fishing also like PvP, then the person who just like PvP will have someone to PvP with. WIthout fishing that person will not be online, and there will be no one to PvP with, and then it just snowballs to dead servers.

Well like I said, pvp servers.. means there is pvp. It sells. Everyone is flagged and it keeps people happy. And like it or not, the sandbox mmo is only for a small portion of the mmo community.  So the person who likes fishing isn't a requirement for the pvp-er. There are enough people on the pvp server anyways.

Originally posted by Nasja

They said that they could not fix the problems in SWG without reworking the game from the ground up, which would have meant closing SWG down temporaily. I am hoping that with SWG shut down they are in the works getting this sorted, but not saying anything so as not to get peoples hopes up.

They aren't going to shutdown swg "temporarily" to sort things out. Also, both us and lucasarts wouldn't want $OE to be hosting that game again. Devs like T2 and Hjal were cool but as long as they work for $OE, everything has to go through John $medley which is bad news. No, if the time is spend to make swg2 by a different company, then thats good news however looking at the current ecomony and the majority of the mmo community, it will be tough.

Imagine if they were able to get the code and the servers working flawlessly with the NGE code, and being able to have up 200 v 200 PVP open world playablity. Something that SWTOR is not capable of doing, as you can only have a max of about 200 online at one time due to its instancing. SWTOR may be smoother but only because they limit the number of people in one area

It doesn't matter. Swtor has what they want. They have instanced and open world pvp and as far as I have seen, people aren't complaining about lack of numbers, just about issues and number imbalances in open world pvp. Otherwise, they have pvp servers which is what a good portion of the pvp community wants. There is always pvp just because everyone on the server is flagged for pvp.

The story content and choosing options in a MMO just gets in the way I find, and pushes your group out, and is also there in Flashpoints. It is interestiing to a point but overall annoying, as some will want to space bar and some will want to view, and if you really want to see how your character respinds to your choice but then get to see the choice of what some one else chose, can be annoying. Mass Effect 3 may get the better mix of singler player / multiplayer aspect, as what I can tell single player just has the traditional story driven content with choices, but multiplayer does not.

Spacebar smashers have the choice of waiting for others or they can choose to only group up with other spacebar smashers when flashpoint groups are created, making it clear they will do that. And questing together in the open world is imo very annoying. I have seen too many people who jump on their speeder as soon as they are out of combat, they aggro heaps of npc's too.

But lets face it, you don't have to group up for legacy in swg. The same goes for most of the story in swtor. Story does sell for the more single player minded people. mmo doesn't mean - necessary to group up.

Without these extra things like fishing, then it makes it not worth paying the monthly fee, and ME3 without a montly fee will give those not interested in fishing the better option.

People who fish tend to be be in game as much as they can, but those who PvP, usually come online and if no one to PvP with will then log off,. but if the person fishing also like PvP, then the person who just like PvP will have someone to PvP with. WIthout fishing that person will not be online, and there will be no one to PvP with, and then it just snowballs to dead servers.

Well like I said, pvp servers.. means there is pvp. It sells. Everyone is flagged and it keeps people happy. And like it or not, the sandbox mmo is only for a small portion of the mmo community.  So the person who likes fishing isn't a requirement for the pvp-er. There are enough people on the pvp server anyways.

John Smedly is not bad news, LA (Julio Tores) was bad news. Smedley just did what he was told by LA, and why SWTOR is so weak too. That is the 4th reason why SWG may come back, even though SWTOR started off good, at the rate it is losing players at the moment, SWG could end up having more subs during its 8.5 years than SWTOR will for the same period. I don't think the NGE lost as many subs as SWTOR is doing once the mass load left due to the NGE, and certainly did not as much when it first released.

There is no harm in adding stuff like fishing, as if you want to do it, then do it, it should not interfere with people who do not want to do. I doubt PVPers will quit if they add fishing, but more will play if they do add it.

Fishing is just an example, house (or rather ship) decoration, Beast Master, content creator tool etc are other examples plus others too. It will make the game more worth subscribing to then, instaed of plenty other PVP games that do not have a monthly fee.

The game is just a shell of all MMOs including SWG, and the reason people are quitting SWTOR in droves.

From statistics, PVP is actually the minority, and SWTOR has more PvE servers than PvP

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

I am serious, considering the game got shut down when the populations were rising, and they did not wait a month or two to see if populations would drop again, and considering they were in discussions of merging servers further in 2012, and that they said that they could not fix the problems without rewriting the code, which was not possible with game active, and now the game is shut down they now have the opportunity to do just that.

I am not expecting it to happen, but I will not be surrpised if SWG comes back, better than before, unlike you two. I hope it does, as the look on your faces (if I could see them) will be priceless!!

Dude...for real? Come on...you can't SERIOUSLY think this...?!

Who's re-writing the code? T2? Hjal? They did AMAZING working with what they had, and I doubt those two guys slept more than 2 hours a night, but...they were the ONLY two working on it. Not only is your theory seriously f'd up, but SOE simply doesn't have the staff to do what you're suggesting. They've CUT CUT CUT staff and offices and developers and EVERYTHING! SOE is in SERIOUS financial trouble! Why on earth do you think they'd invest MILLIONS into re-writing a failed game?

Another thing...SOE has already changed the game TWICE while it was live, which TOTALLY destroys your theory that this "shut down" was to fix the damn game. It wasn't. It's GONE! FOREVER! NEVER COMING BACK! EVER!

Super...I can appreciate your love of the game...I get that...but really...it's time to move on mate. It's over.

Originally posted by TUX426

Dude...for real? Come on...you can't SERIOUSLY think this...?!

Who's re-writing the code? T2? Hjal? They did AMAZING working with what they had, and I doubt those two guys slept more than 2 hours a night, but...they were the ONLY two working on it. Not only is your theory seriously f'd up, but SOE simply doesn't have the staff to do what you're suggesting. They've CUT CUT CUT staff and offices and developers and EVERYTHING! SOE is in SERIOUS financial trouble! Why on earth do you think they'd invest MILLIONS into re-writing a failed game?

Another thing...SOE has already changed the game TWICE while it was live, which TOTALLY destroys your theory that this "shut down" was to fix the damn game. It wasn't. It's GONE! FOREVER! NEVER COMING BACK! EVER!

Super...I can appreciate your love of the game...I get that...but really...it's time to move on mate. It's over.

Why does changing the game twice destroy my theory? It was changed twice whilst live, so while game is not live they can now do a better job, and take their time and not be rushed, so that just strengthens my theory, not destroys it.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Why does changing the game twice destroy my theory? It was changed twice whilst live, so while game is not live they can now do a better job, and take their time and not be rushed, so that just strengthens my theory, not destroys it.

No. It doesn't.

Do you have even a basic understanding of how finances work or do you think T2 and Hjal are doing this in their basements for free? Games cost money, licenses have fees, SOE is struggling, employees demand pay, SWG was closed to invest what little SOE has into new projects.

Keep this in mind -> DCUO was a bigger hit than SWG...and the game was a massive flop.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I had some fun times in SWG, mostly trying to figure out how to unlock Jedi before it was known... although little did I know, most of that time there wasn't even a system in place to unlock.

I had a lot of fun with the pvp too, even though a lot of that was broken... looking at you knockdown /dizzy.

The game was fairly broken over the whole time I played it, but was still pretty fun, I still wouldn't go back to the game even if there was an official Pre-CU server.

Sounds like TSW is gonna have an open skill system like early SWG though, which is gonna be cool.

Originally posted by TUX426

No. It doesn't.

Do you have even a basic understanding of how finances work or do you think T2 and Hjal are doing this in their basements for free? Games cost money, licenses have fees, SOE is struggling, employees demand pay, SWG was closed to invest what little SOE has into new projects.

Keep this in mind -> DCUO was a bigger hit than SWG...and the game was a massive flop.

If SOE were to close SWG (as in if SOE were 100% by its closure as you seem to be making out, and not influenced by LA ), and they were in financial trouble "struggling" then they would not have announced SWGs closure until Sep/Oct. They lost subs after the closure announced as people just bailed and moved on to other games, seeing no point progressing further in a soon to be dead game.

There is more to SWGs shutdown than is being officially said. Thinking about it more, which I have posted in another thread, I think LA bought the SWG code from SOE, making SOE afford the loss of 3 months subs, and it will be LA running SWG, not SOE. If not SWG reborn could be SOEs unnamed sandbox game.

If SWG went F2P it would be a lot better success than STO. SWG is a gold mine if marketed and handled right

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Crafting didn't even enter my mind in SWTOR. What I started to miss more was spacecombat. Especially after obtaining the Smugglers ship. It looks a lot like an YT1300.

I tried to like spacecombat in SWTOR though. But all the time when trying to steer my ship away from tactical deathtraps, some evil Bioware droid took over the helm and steered me into the line of fire anyway. There is simply no way to avoid all damage or to do smart moves.

Now that I tried spacecombat in SWTOR it seems only more retarded to me. The whole rails thing makes it feel as if its not even your ship. This realisation that you are not even fully in control of your own ship was the worst immersion breaking moment when I played SWTOR.

I never missed crafting in SWTOR. Mainly because the mission assigning to the crew didnt feel like crafting in the first place.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

I played TOR and wasnt impressed leveled 2 toons to 50 1 Republic and 1 Imperial (Trooper-Agent) Trooper is a rank 67 Battlemaster-Agent is Rank 45 after pvping in just WZs since Illum is severely broken for Republic across the servers, there really isnt much left to do in the game to keep me interested, I long for the days of resource harvesting, doing invasions (space-ground) real open world pvp, enterainers socializing and the such, I've come to miss SWiG a lot , since my boredom of TOR kicked in some time ago I've started to play Ultima Online maybe even go back to DAOC, shame that I have to play 10-15 yr old MMOs just to keep me interested and enterained with features that new MMOs dont have cause of talentless and cheap ass studios and lazy developers just want to make battlegrounds and raids....

• AirtaeeAirtaee Member UncommonPosts: 84

I'm pretty sure they feared  that if the SWG were still open when people discoverd what a bluff SWTOR is , many people have either returned or those who didn'nt know the game took a look at it. Either way the SWG at this moment with just 2 megaservers open like DCUo would have a stable and even growing population.

SWG was a really good game, took alot of years fix the NGE damage, but thanks to people like T2 the things was better than ever. Of course 20 times better than swtor for sure.

The bleeding of players in SWTOR is a thing they can not hide anymore, at 23 June 2011 SWG has more pvp action with 15k -20k active subs than swtor with his 2m copys sold.

I played SWG for the 8 years it last with only 6 months of rant during the 2005 NGE ragequit. With SWTOR i couldnt play more than 26 days , not even finished muy 30 days of free play. I leveled 1 toon to 50 and 2 to 15 and 25. The game is a pain and nothing can save it, its the first boring mmo ever made. When Diablo III and Guild wars 2 hit the market Bioware and EA are going to crap his pants like SOE at 2005, but this time the joke will cost 300m$ 

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

I'm really curious how many players would have went to SWG because of the disappointment with TOR. This reason alone is why EA made it in their contract with Lucas Arts to have SWG shut down. No threat of having people confuse the two, or choose a different Star Wars theme MMORPG over theirs. 

Because of TOR we lost one of the few quality MMORPGs we had available to us.

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

Ironcially, prospecting for materials in SWG was more fun than the whole of SWTOR...

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Originally posted by NagilumSadow

Ironcially, prospecting for materials in SWG was more fun than the whole of SWTOR...

To this day, I have no clue how anyone found surveying for resources fun. And if you honestly think that's more fun than TOR, you'd probably get your rocks off watching paint dry.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

Originally posted by kobie173

To this day, I have no clue how anyone found surveying for resources fun. And if you honestly think that's more fun than TOR, you'd probably get your rocks off watching paint dry.

[...] wherever the crowd is, there is untruth.

• Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400

Some people just can't enjoy something unless it flashes "YOU WIN" at them every 5 minutes and makes a ding noise.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

It's quite simple.

1) Exploration

2) Unknown results

3) Possible big payday

4) Affects the economy

It makes me sad that gamers of today consider things like that boring and tedious. Oh well, I guess that's why dumbed-down MMOs of today are successful. Instant gratification ftw...er loss, but whatever.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

I thought that SWG had a marginally better crafting system then I see most mmorpg's having but have to say I thoroughly enjoy TOR crafting.  Being able to make millions seems to be a big draw for people in regards to "crafting" in SWG but that has more to do with economy than what was being crafted.  If the items were more simple than they were they would have still sold like hot cakes because the game was designed to make what was crafted a necessity for quite some time.

As far as the decorating I saw some really interesting things done and they really excelled at what was designed around housing and decorating but I honestly could never get into that my wives always had fun decorating my stuff but that was never going to be me.

"Shrug" I'm a realist SWG had great systems with absolutely no game in it TOR is a great game with not so good systems after having played both of those games I'm fairly certain I'll take what BW is offering over what Sony subjected me to over the life of Galaxies.

Originally posted by Axllow18

Some people just can't enjoy something unless it flashes "YOU WIN" at them every 5 minutes and makes a ding noise.

TOR doesn't do that either. Thanks for the attempted flame.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

You like boring things.

Originally posted by raistlinm

I thought that SWG had a marginally better crafting system then I see most mmorpg's having but have to say I thoroughly enjoy TOR crafting.  Being able to make millions seems to be a big draw for people in regards to "crafting" in SWG but that has more to do with economy than what was being crafted.  If the items were more simple than they were they would have still sold like hot cakes because the game was designed to make what was crafted a necessity for quite some time.

As far as the decorating I saw some really interesting things done and they really excelled at what was designed around housing and decorating but I honestly could never get into that my wives always had fun decorating my stuff but that was never going to be me.

"Shrug" I'm a realist SWG had great systems with absolutely no game in it TOR is a great game with not so good systems after having played both of those games I'm fairly certain I'll take what BW is offering over what Sony subjected me to over the life of Galaxies.

SWTOR truly reflects what Bioware thinks of their audience.

In Star Wars Galaxies, particularly the PRE-CU & CU, we had an intellectually interesting MMORPG which had, IN FACT, the most complex crafting system in all of gaming.

Compairing SWG of the PRE-CU era to SWTOR is like comparing scrabble to letter block cubes.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

In Star Wars Galaxies, particularly the PRE-CU & CU, we had an intellectually interesting MMORPG which had, IN FACT, the most complex crafting system in all of gaming.

Compairing SWG of the PRE-CU era to SWTOR is like comparing scrabble to letter block cubes.

The red part is sig worthy, well done, and I agree 100%.

The sad thing is, gamers of today have absolutely no clue they're viewed in that manner by developers. The lowest common denominator for the fastest buck is what rules MMOs of today. It's all a circus sideshow, all glitz and no substance.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Originally posted by Zekiah

The red part is sig worthy, well done, and I agree 100%.

The sad thing is, gamers of today have absolutely no clue they're viewed in that manner by developers. The lowest common denominator for the fastest buck is what rules MMOs of today. It's all a circus sideshow, all glitz and no substance.

Thanks friend. With the zombies of today, it makes one want to re-read 'a brave new world'.