Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Note sure if this pic has been posted yet...

HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

But sweet jesus i can't stop laughing.  I mean, a lot of the MMO community has said that new MMO's have been copying WOW and such, and we've always taken that to mean more of a copy of the format/method of play etc, but this, this is a literal direct friggin copy.  Bioware nutswingers im sure will jump and accuse me of being a WOW fanboi for posting this (truth is if im a fanboi then Rift would be my cup of fanboi tea, but even then im highly critical of Trion, especially recently) but i assure you im not, in the slightest:

[img]http://auditorydepredation.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/1326231905169.jpg[/img]

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comments

• Zeal77Zeal77 Member Posts: 158

After viewing approximately 746 threads like this one: here is how I interpret them~

Rawr! It's not like WoW!

Rawr! It's a WoW clone!

Rawr! It doesn't play like WoW!

Rawr! It's too much like WoW!

Rawr! It's not polished like WoW!

Rawr! I'm sick of WoW!

Rawr! Why isn't this like WoW?!?

Rawr! I'm going back to WoW!

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

I didn't play the class equivalent in wow, but I am pretty sure the Guard skill is quite differant, other than that wow...haha. The combat pics are from world bosses, most of the game's combat (unless you're fighting gigantic world bosses or just bosses in general) you'll be fighting 3-5 enemies. Heck, sometimes I even take on a couple groups of mobs at once 8-10 enemies :D

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

I saw this earlier in the day. Still funny. Cannot deny the WoWness.

BOOYAKA!

• PsycheiPsychei Member Posts: 148

Something smells fishy here.....

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Have to say, this is pretttty compelling. I don't play TOR, so it might 'play different', or ' feel different' than wow's skills, but it certainly doesn 'look' all that different from these two screens. made me chuckle. All the nay-sayers on TOR actually found something worth saying this time lol.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Not related but interesting none the less.

http://i.imgur.com/RAXHh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NZQne.jpg

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• infamouswhoisinfamouswhois Member Posts: 185

Originally posted by stayontarget

lol all that money and this is what they did with it

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

Took me 5 minutes of staring that that to see it, wow.

On the abilities, RIFT did a similar thing...  that is pretty convincing but I don't think many expected TOR classes to be new/different unique what with the mirrored thing anyway. Not suprised.

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

Originally posted by Zeal77

After viewing approximately 746 threads like this one: here is how I interpret them~

Rawr! It's not like WoW!

Rawr! It's a WoW clone!

Rawr! It doesn't play like WoW!

Rawr! It's too much like WoW!

Rawr! It's not polished like WoW!

Rawr! I'm sick of WoW!

Rawr! Why isn't this like WoW?!?

Rawr! I'm going back to WoW!

It is very simple: it is not different enough in the MMORPG AAA arena to not be considered a WoW-clone, but it is at the same time a clone in its infant stage, a bit too young for the tastes of many.

Rawr! It's not like WoW! =>Too young clone, missing some of the mature traits of an older clone

Rawr! It's a WoW clone! => A young clone is still a clone.

Rawr! It doesn't play like WoW! => Too young clone.

Rawr! It's too much like WoW! => A young clone is still a clone.

Rawr! It's not polished like WoW! =>Too young clone.

Rawr! I'm sick of WoW!  => A young clone is still a clone.

Rawr! Why isn't this like WoW?! => Too young clone.

Rawr! I'm going back to WoW! => Too young clone and overall too clone infested MMORPG AAA scene.

So as you can see, it all makes sense.

i remember seeing a devoloper diary video way back when they first announced the game and he clearly said they were going to structure the game similar to World of warcraft. So why are people acting all suprised?

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

They are not the first developer to do this but not even caring to change some aility names is just...

Well, at least gunslinger and commando are somewhat unique (even though commando does remind me of shaman and/or arcane mage)

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

I knew the game would follow WoW quite closely, but that's a lot closer than I expected.  Are the other classes the same way?

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Originally posted by allegria

Took me 5 minutes of staring that that to see it, wow.

On the abilities, RIFT did a similar thing...  that is pretty convincing but I don't think many expected TOR classes to be new/different unique what with the mirrored thing anyway. Not suprised.

You are correct. Rift did do a lot of copying of WOW, however, and this is the very KEY difference.  Rift didnt go around making claims of being drastically different and oh so much better than the "status quo" of mmo's. Etc.  Rift during its development said in no unccertain terms that when it came to things like combat, UI, questing/leveling, etc, That they had no intention of breaking a tried and true working format.  Where they wanted to innovate was in the idea of dynamic content with the Rifts and such.  Whether or not that is innovation is in the eye of the beholder.

But the reality is what pisses me, and so many people off is Bioware's off the charts hubris.

This is why i find it so deliciously hilarious that the game is such a hulking pile of dog shit.

My favorite thing is the common defence the biodrones use is the "voice acting" card.  Guess what, they still werent the first. Age of Conan's Isle of Tortage (first 20 levels of the game) was fully voice acted and IMO done far better than anything TOR has done.  Yes, it didnt continue throughout the game, but to claim that TOR is innovative because it did voice acting through the whole game is about as fallacious an argument as it gets.

By the way, for anybody who wants to read the blog that pic came from, here is the link.  This guy sums it up far better than i ever could:

http://auditorydepredation.wordpress.com/2012/01/12/star-wars-the-old-republic-a-hate-crime-against-humanity/

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Originally posted by yutty

i remember seeing a devoloper diary video way back when they first announced the game and he clearly said they were going to structure the game similar to World of warcraft. So why are people acting all suprised?

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by Hrimnir

that is not the video i was looking for

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

that is not the video i was looking for

+1

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

You are correct. Rift did do a lot of copying of WOW, however, and this is the very KEY difference.  Rift didnt go around making claims of being drastically different and oh so much better than the "status quo" of mmo's. Etc.  Rift during its development said in no unccertain terms that when it came to things like combat, UI, questing/leveling, etc, That they had no intention of breaking a tried and true working format.  Where they wanted to innovate was in the idea of dynamic content with the Rifts and such.  Whether or not that is innovation is in the eye of the beholder.

Didn't Bioware do the exact same thing? Wasn't there one dev quoted as saying "breaking the WoW rules is stupid" or similar?

Where Trion attempted to innovate with rifts, Bioware tried to innovate with story cutscenes. But they never made it a secret that their basic game design is standard MMO fare. That they are now going out saying "our game is the best / most innovative / most fun / [insert superlative here]" is what every single developer does after launch. It's called marketing your own damn game.

Originally posted by uohaloran

I knew the game would follow WoW quite closely, but that's a lot closer than I expected.  Are the other classes the same way?

I never really investigated but i liked bounty hunter the best, it felt a bit different although SWTOR's class design is not one of its strengths... but BH played fun and looked pretty cool when i played it in beta.

That skill "airstrike?" not sure where you fly up in jet pack and bomb stuff was a hoot.

Originally posted by Naqaj

Didn't Bioware do the exact same thing? Wasn't there one dev quoted as saying "breaking the WoW rules is stupid" or similar?

Where Trion attempted to innovate with rifts, Bioware tried to innovate with story cutscenes. But they never made it a secret that their basic game design is standard MMO fare. That they are now going out saying "our game is the best / most innovative / most fun / [insert superlative here]" is what every single developer does after launch. It's called marketing your own damn game.

I loved the RIFTs in rifts, but then end game came and... well it came too soon :(

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

The picture is not altered? That's a carbon copy! I can't imagine a company with a record budget not bein able to design a unique combat system. And it's STAR WARS ffs, get some inspiration! jesuschristfenton!

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

hilarious

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Originally posted by Metentso

The picture is not altered? That's a carbon copy! I can't imagine a company with a record budget not bein able to design a unique combat system. And it's STAR WARS ffs, get some inspiration! jesuschristfenton!

I fail to see the point... If you can offer a set of abilities that people feel familiar with why in the long tooth would you do a lot of wonky stuff with it "just to be different". Were i get my education that is called "art school crap" and widley regarded as a bad idea, never put form before function. And since it would not have finctioned better if it did +2% fire damamge and +3% electrict damage i fail to see how they woudl have made it different.. You need a main attac, a cone attack, a AoE attack, some form of self buff and so on and so forth.

But do elaborate please how you think that they could have done it better.

This have been a good conversation

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Plagiarism at its finest!

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Originally posted by tawess

Originally posted by Metentso

I fail to see the point... If you can offer a set of abilities that people feel familiar with why in the long tooth would you do a lot of wonky stuff with it "just to be different". Were i get my education that is called "art school crap" and widley regarded as a bad idea, never put form before function. And since it would not have finctioned better if it did +2% fire damamge and +3% electrict damage i fail to see how they woudl have made it different.. You need a main attac, a cone attack, a AoE attack, some form of self buff and so on and so forth.

But do elaborate please how you think that they could have done it better.

I don't know, I'm not a game developer, but give me 1 milion dollars and I will assemble a team and try.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

hahahahahahhahahaa

i actually play a warrior tank in WoW, and im now 100% i can play one in SW:tor if i ever decide to switch over cheers for that. The lack of imagination is ... lol ... ah well, it's fun to play a tank in WoW so it's prob fun in sw:tor aswell. Tho i miss the shockwave skill ? :p

This discussion has been closed.