Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Server Merges Incoming

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to RiftJunkies.com, players logging into Rift are being presented with a Message of the Day indicating that servers are being merged or turned into trial servers. Players are then given a suggested server to move to but can move to any currently active server.

PVE

Belmont –> Millrush

Galena –> Millrush

Atrophinius –> Greenscale

Crucia –> Greenscale

Alsbeth –> Shatterbone

PVE – RP

Estrael –> Faeblight

Shadefallen –> Faeblight

PVP

Sunrest(PVP-RP) –> Deepstrike

Freeholme –> Deepstrike

Dayblind –> Deepstrike

Faemist –> Briarcliff

So far no official word has been released on the Rift forums but we'll keep you posted.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

I think this needed to happen some of the low population servers must have been very low . Luckily theres plenty of medium still .

I'm sure someone with say this is a fail of epic proportions but the games still very busy and theres plenty of people playing it .

What in the days before WoW would have been considered a successful mmo .

• HalfmadHalfmad Mortal Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 83

It'd possibly help of they merged the EU servers into US ones ASAP rather than letting the EU die out slowly as many MMOs have done in the past, then merge the bedraggled survivors into US servers at the last minute.

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492

population is BOOMING I see

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    It's a shame that WoW has distorted people's view regarding MMO's in quite a number of ways. In those days, MMO's had player populations that ranged from 50-250k (except for EQ and Lineage), and that was more than sufficient to have bustling and active servers. Also, those MMO's weren't considered 'fail' as these days MMO's with such population numbers are tagged, but the games were considered alive enough for its players and healthy from a business/profit perspective. As it should be.
  • junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Server mergers less than a year after launch is never a good thing.  I'm not a fan of Rift, but have no desire to see it fail.  Good luck to Trion.

• onehunerdperonehunerdper Member Posts: 837

Anti-rifters: "OMG it's a sign that RIFT is failing a horrible flamming death of epic proportions."

Pro-rifters: "I still see a ton of people while I'm running around. Obviously it's just a wise decision to bring more players together from the almighty Trion"

Can we just be real? The subscriptions have dropped so they have to bring servers together instead of spending money to keep extra machinery running for servers that were designed to hold many more players. The game is not going to shut down anytime soon, but it is a sign of it's popularity declining.

• CasseyCassey Member Posts: 1

Nothing wrong with merging servers, it's natural.  The initial rush of players has dwindled and as such servers are quieter than usual.

WoW distorted a lot of things about the industry.  They had to keep adding more and more servers as the game grew older (though there hasn't been new ones in quite a while).  Launch enough servers to keep the population healthy and queues low, but after the initial 30 days and over a year watch the populations and merge accordingly.  I wouldn' be surprised if WoW merges some of the low population and faction inbalanced servers in the next year to improve the game experience.

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

I think they did make a mistake when they gave in on the launch queues of upto 5000 on each server! PLayers would have persisted and thy wouldnt need to be removing the extra ones they added to relieve launch pressure :(

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• Pr0tag0ni5tPr0tag0ni5t Member UncommonPosts: 259

Originally posted by onehunerdper

Anti-rifters: "OMG it's a sign that RIFT is failing a horrible flamming death of epic proportions."

Pro-rifters: "I still see a ton of people while I'm running around. Obviously it's just a wise decision to bring more players together from the almighty Trion"

Can we just be real? The subscriptions have dropped so they have to bring servers together instead of spending money to keep extra machinery running for servers that were designed to hold many more players. The game is not going to shut down anytime soon, but it is a sign of it's popularity declining.

Or a SWTOR just came out and Rift took a big hit (for a while). The server I play on is still very populated. I think this is a great thing, if riftjunkies.com is correct on the number of servers closing, that is not very many for how many they have up.

They have free server transfers anyway so people are hopping all over the place anyway so pop. change weekly.

Originally posted by Cassey

WoW distorted a lot of things about the industry.  They had to keep adding more and more servers as the game grew older (though there hasn't been new ones in quite a while).  Launch enough servers to keep the population healthy and queues low, but after the initial 30 days and over a year watch the populations and merge accordingly.  I wouldn' be surprised if WoW merges some of the low population and faction inbalanced servers in the next year to improve the game experience.

Yeah WOW was success has alot to do with the launch timing too, broaband became more widely accessible at decent speeds around 2003/2004 i believe, and as WOW was the new kid on the block at the time, and the only one who advertised its a no brainer.

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

It happens to every game, eventually.  Even the mighty WoW will be seeing it within the next couple years, I'd bet.

Rift is a big "meh", for me.  But it's polished and they've done everything right post launch; strong updates, aggressive "Cost of Entry" sales...

It's a tough market, right now.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Teala

Wait...what?   I was under the impression when this game released last March that it would have a minimum of 3 million people playing it within a year.    That is what the rabid fans of this game spouted continuely here on these forums.   What happened?

I have a bookmark at home of one guy reminding everyone to get their names in ASAP cuz there were gonna be millions of players... :P

...another said 6 million... and don't forget all the "WoW fanbois are scared (*&^less!" threads...

I still think the game is doing well enough; I certainly wouldn't call it a failure... but I do hope alot of those folks who used to argue that "dynamic " content and events would put other MMO's OoB have sobered up a bit.  Like anything else, some people will like it, some people won't.  and still others really don't give a crap whether it's dynamic or static, so long as they have fun playing.

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187

They really did mess up putting up all those servers during launch. Of course some people aren't gonna want to stick around, so once those people left servers became more empty. Now if they would have launched with less servers, I think they would have kept a bigger player base since the servers would look fuller. I know this is why I left, the server I was on became empty after 2-3 months. I know I could have transfered but I didn't feel like it, however I am looking to start playing again. Easily the most solid MMO in years.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Eh not to suprising. An issue with free character transfers is it tends to polarize people to one server and then leaving other servers rather empty. I just hope things done get way to cluttered. 

Oh and in terms of what rob said, its actually happened, several times already in the past. :)

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

This is a good thing even though it might be spelling some signs of trouble in Trion's yard.  Hope not, I'm really impressed with them as a company and hope to see End of Nations and Defiance soon.

• XstylesXstyles Member Posts: 107

Probably better this way. There's nothing less interesting than hanging out on an empty server. They are a waste of space and should ofc be merged with other servers. I don't see the big deal about this

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by Teala

Wait...what?   I was under the impression when this game released last March that it would have a minimum of 3 million people playing it within a year.    That is what the rabid fans of this game spouted continuely here on these forums.   What happened?

I have a bookmark at home of one guy reminding everyone to get their names in ASAP cuz there were gonna be millions of players... :P

...another said 6 million... and don't forget all the "WoW fanbois are scared (*&^less!" threads...

I still think the game is doing well enough; I certainly wouldn't call it a failure... but I do hope alot of those folks who used to argue that "dynamic " content and events would put other MMO's OoB have sobered up a bit.  Like anything else, some people will like it, some people won't.  and still others really don't give a crap whether it's dynamic or static, so long as they have fun playing.

Every single MMO after the pop culture boom of WoW has had this type of hype (As well as hate)..

It's expected... But I personally don't need to be re-assured that millions of other people fill hundreds of servers to enjoy the game..

How can you please a fanbase full of lemmings?

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Originally posted by Cassey

Nothing wrong with merging servers, it's natural.  The initial rush of players has dwindled and as such servers are quieter than usual.

Because Blizzard can afford to keep all the servers running, eventho over two third of the servers are low pop!

Seriously, lets be honest here. Have you taken a good look at the whole WoW server list during primetime? A jitload of servers are low populated!

Blizzard can easily merge over half of the current servers! But they refuse to do it, because they want to keep up the appearance!

2 years ago I used one of those free come back offers and checked out my old server, that use to be heavy populated. It was completely dead! All zones were void of players. Just some high levels hanging around in Stormwind and Ogrimmar.

Up to this day that same server is still running on low population and nothing is being done about it, just like tons of other low population servers.

Players are basically just forced to pay for character migration to migrate their characters to another higher populated server! Simply because Blizzard does NOT want to hear anything about server migration! They plain refuse it!

ALL MMORPG's have declining populations at the moment. Simply, because the market has become oversaturated!

SW:TOR won't be any different. You can already see, before the month is even up, that server populations are already lowering. Will be more after next week, when the first month is running out.

Just like the famous quote of Agent Smith: " It's inevitable!"

It just seems that Trion just can't catch a break lately.  With the whole hacking fiasco and now with the server mergers, the only press I'm seeing is negative.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by junzo316

It just seems that Trion just can't catch a break lately.  With the whole hacking fiasco and now with the server mergers, the only press I'm seeing is negative.

One strange thing that is confusing the hell out of me right now. They did a extended EU maintenance last night and now when you look at the EU status almost every single server is at medium and a few are high.

This time yesterday it was not a pretty picture. This makes me wonder if that thing that is reporting server statuses is completely broken.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I tried Rift and bought it when I was cheap, but... there is simply no choice where to level. It's always the same path. It gets boring so quickly. Then then human starting zone was to 50% forest, the next zone was to 90% forest, the zone after that was 90% a slightly darker forest... Then I had more than half of max level and seen nothing but forest. That gets insanely boring too. And then add the lack of communication in the game. On the server I was, nearly noone ever said anything. 

It sure had some good ideas and graphics were not bad either, but... it was getting boring so quickly. So it's no wonder that the people are leaving.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by maji

I tried Rift and bought it when I was cheap, but... there is simply no choice where to level. It's always the same path. It gets boring so quickly. Then then human starting zone was to 50% forest, the next zone was to 90% forest, the zone after that was 90% a slightly darker forest... Then I had more than half of max level and seen nothing but forest. That gets insanely boring too. And then add the lack of communication in the game. On the server I was, nearly noone ever said anything. 

It sure had some good ideas and graphics were not bad either, but... it was getting boring so quickly. So it's no wonder that the people are leaving.

Why do you say this when most of us are/have played the game? The amount of made up stuff in this post alone is shocking.

Originally posted by Puremallace

One strange thing that is confusing the hell out of me right now. They did a extended EU maintenance last night and now when you look at the EU status almost every single server is at medium and a few are high.

This time yesterday it was not a pretty picture. This makes me wonder if that thing that is reporting server statuses is completely broken.

That is fairly odd and something that should be looked into further.  The new promotion may have brought in a few more players, but  would it change it that drastically....hmmm.

Originally posted by maji

Why do you say this when most of us are/have played the game? The amount of made up stuff in this post alone is shocking.

Yeah maybe you have wrong game maji, as doesnt sound like anything I play!

• Pr0tag0ni5tPr0tag0ni5t Member UncommonPosts: 259

That is fairly odd and something that should be looked into further.  The new promotion may have brought in a few more players, but  would it change it that drastically....hmmm.

It is because of SWTOR on both counts the recent population drop and then you will see a steady increase (not saying it will be alot) starting about now.

The 'free' month is over and just like with every other mmo launch post WoW a number of players will not sub past the free month and go back to what they were playing beforre.