Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW population is crashing big time

Comments

• BeermanglerBeermangler Member UncommonPosts: 402

Crashing? That's why I have to wait in 17 minute queues as DPS? Riiiight... 

Better to be crazy, provided you know what sane is...

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Originally posted by Painlezz

So much wow hate on this site it's unreal.  Even with SWTOR out, the wow hate continues!  An entire thread dedicated to "WoW is dying!"  every other day it seems.

I think people ignore everything WoW has done for the MMORPG world.  I bet if any of you loaded up the very first release version of DAOC, EQ2, or any other mainstream MMO you would hate it.  So many things have become "standard" for MMO's because of WoW.

Look at FPS games.  Some of you may remember back when you couldn't jump, climb, look up or down...  EVERY FPS comes standard with jumping, looking up and down... hell most of them use cover systems these days.  Someome came up with a good idea (let players jump) and it was such a good idea that any game w/o the feature is considered bad.

Anyway, I hate to come across as a WoW or Blizzard fanboy.  I like to comment that I was not a fan of Starcraft 2 (the story was fun to play once).  But I get really sick of the constant hate here.  Grow up, move on, find something that makes you happy, and stop the hate.

the only reason a lot of people hate it more then before is because blizzard went in some direction player would hear none of it!this is why blizzard is losing lot of customer some will phrase it in, it is too old etc but the sad truth is blizzard sent the game on a path gamer didnt want!so now most just go chat dont progress ,it became another facebook,abnd lot are like wtf why should i use wow to chat ,when i got hangout ,facebook etc etc etc!

• GameOvrGameOvr Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by TheHavok

Originally posted by drbaltazar

Originally posted by GameOvr

This thread again...

When will people realize that warcraftrealms.com and MMOdata.net are very inaccurate websites? 

MMOData goes by blizzards numbers, you know earnings calls, what they tell investors and the press, MMOData numbers are blizzards numbers.

{mod edit}

Zero reporting realms, from memory, in the US 7 months ago there was 1, a year ago 0, there is nobody there to run the census anymore.

Internet archive keeps copies of websites in the past.

Data like this, that state WoW's subcription base at 10.3 million - the latest conference call of this year (Q3)? 

Try harder - please. Its making me laugh.

3 quater?dam that was what 4 month ago 5 month ago? even in the artical you supply he does say wow is very succesfull mostly in asia!so the other poster isnt as off as you make it seem!it was 10.3 m 4 month ago but now ,with the various game gone f2p and swtor i bet thety arent more then 9 million and the only reason they arent lower is because swtor isnt avail in japan and china yet!

Ah, well my point of posting that is to showcase Blizzard's latest release of their sub numbers for WoW.  Which, based on MMOdata.net's means of gathering and reporting information, would mean that MMOdata.net is reporting WoW at 10.3 million.  HOWEVER, if you take a look at MMOdata.net's numbers, they showcase WoW subs at over 11 million - which is inaccurate.  So, again, the site he references, is proven inaccurate.  Additionally, he references warcraftrealms.com multiple times which never accurately showcased WoW's numbers for reasons ive previously mentioned in this thread.  Yeah, WoW's numbers have dropped, to what, I don't know exactly and we wont find out till February during the Q4 report.  But making a statement like "It looks like wow has lost 50% of subs in one year and one expansion" just shows how retardedly inaccurate the OP is.

There is a time line at the bottom and the number shown is the previous blizzard number prior to the 10.3 million reported number, so the site is accurate  {mod edit}

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Originally posted by Fendel84M

Why does anyone care who else plays it?

Seems like you haven't got a grasp of the acronym "MMO" and what it means, so I'll lay it down for you in simple terms.

MMOs are only played because there are a lot of other people in the game to play it with. They are generally shallow, dumbed down and uninteresting compared to a similar themed single player game.

Take the other players out of WoW and all you're left with is a very boring, simple game.

Take the other players out of EVE and I'm not sure if it would even qualify as a game anymore.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

ya warcraftrealm rely on us posting data so if you dont post what happen?flawed data

• orsonstfuorsonstfu Member Posts: 203

The numbers are definately wrong on this. But you can look at it as a microcosm of the bigger picture.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Actually, I read somewhere that WoW player numbers and hours in Xfire and Raptr are now 50% of what they were last Spring in March/April, even if those numbers are not fully representative, they still show a huge downward trend. But I agree with others, let's just wait for the quarterly Blizzard meetings, they have the most accurate figures, also I assume that many people have locked themselves down for a year staying subbed to get D3. Besides, even if half or more subs are in China, it's still a few million in the west which is a huge enough population to play WoW with.
  • Lost_BothanLost_Bothan Member Posts: 27

Appearently a number of people didnt get any memo saying population is "down" . But then again there are many that dont visit forum websites or use specific mods. ( or even xfire)

I recently logged into my toons on several realms after being gone from it for an extended time. the guilds my toons are in have flourished, and having a quick peek across a few cities as well as on the finder for guilds i see quite alot of activity on the realms i have toons on.

Only the companies with access to server numbers can really give an accurate count on most any game. Id probably say that the Opener's statement is not accurate.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by smh_alot

Actually, I read somewhere that WoW player numbers and hours in Xfire and Raptr are now 50% of what they were last Spring in March/April, even if those numbers are not fully representative, they still show a huge downward trend. But I agree with others, let's just wait for the quarterly Blizzard meetings, they have the most accurate figures, also I assume that many people have locked themselves down for a year staying subbed to get D3. Besides, even if half or more subs are in China, it's still a few million in the west which is a huge enough population to play WoW with.

I've never used Xfire and I don't even know what Raptr is...  I played WoW for 7 years and still play on and off. Trust me... they're fine. 

Even if server merges are brought up, you're talking about a game that is 7 years old. I would be shocked if there weren't merges. Other games have merged servers in much shorter spans of time I'm sure. And before anyone labels me a fanboy, I'm currently playing TOR.

I play what I have fun playing at the time then move on. No need to bash games just because they're not you flavor this month/year.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

Meh to be expected.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Every few months someone finds these sites and comes here to tell everyone how badly wow is doing and how these sites prove how it will soon be digging around in the dirt for players......................who gives a shit?!?

Wow is what it is, has the player base reduces, well yes it has, Blizzard have said so themselves as unlike many other MMO's over the years they have been pretty straight forward about their numbers because they have to be, being owned by shareholders.

Is it dead? No!

Is it dying? No!

I say these things purely from personal experience as my server is still packed at peak times, queue's are as long as they have been for a hell of a long time now and my auctions still sell like hot cakes. Our Guild numbers haven't changed much a all since a sharp rise in the months after the launch of Cataclysm, people join, people leave and we keep doing what we do.

If Blizzard release a disaster of a year end figure showing a drop of 6-7Mill subs i may get a little concerned, but until then, i enjoy playing the game and that is pretty much all that matters.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• kastrixkastrix Member Posts: 75

There are 12 million players in the world of warcraft. atleast thats what they say in the tv-comercials running in sweden atm.

According to data on WarcraftRealms, MMOData and using the Internet Archive...

7 months ago there were 4 US servers with less than 1000 characters observed by wow census in 30 days, now there are over 40 of these servers, EU is worse, with 60 of them. This is a tremendous downward momentum.

Servers support 25,000 accounts each, there are over 100 servers with less than 4% capacity (based on no characters are alts).

The high water mark of subscriptions, which includes cataclysm release was 12 million, 6 in NA/EU and 6 in Asia.

Total player population observed by wow census now  is 1.9 million characters in the US, the last time wow census saw those numbers was Aug 2005 (1.7 mil, next archive is next year with 2.3 mil), and there were 3 million NA/EU subs back then. It looks like wow has lost 50% of subs in one year and one expansion.

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/realmstats.php?sort=Total

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-1.png

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/WoW.png

http://www.archive.org/

Just for giggles i thought i would take a look over the Warcraft Realms data for the EU (my area) as you can't say something isn't reliable if you don' t at least take a look at it;

Counted 248 servers altogether

Out of the 248, only 11 had a 'green' colour coded ration on both sides meaning they had over 100 snapshots in 30 days on both sides.

So by their own standards, they only consider their own data to be approx 4% accurate in that regard.

60 have no data at all, 63 mixed red and 'other' and 114 all in the red.

Then let's consider what a 'snapshot' could mean. It is literally that, a snapshot of the players on the server in that area at the time the mod is used, so if someone was to even use the mod 3-4 tmes a day to give them the 100 snapshots they consider to be an 'accurate' representation of the population, how accurate is it really? If you use it at slow times you don't get a fair representation and if you use it at peak times you don't either and it is quite likely that whoever uses the snapshot mod will be playing at their own preferred times when using it which of course will not coincide with all other players preferred times. So basically you are going to mis-represent the figures either too high or too low in the vast majority of cases and that is not even factoring in whether you are standing in the middle of Elwynn Forest or in the middle of Stormwind!......oh and also factoring in that it only counts characters and not accounts, so in reality you have to pear down the figures it is giving you even more so in most cases ( I have 7 x L85's, 2 L80+ and 1 L70 that i rotate) which should give you an even lower figure in the subscription stakes....eek!

As for my main server, according to the records on there we have an imbalance of 98% Alliance and only 2% horde!?! My server has always been an alliance stronghold historically, but that is far from the reality i am sure.

So in answer to an earlier post as to why we would not believe these figures.....well the answer is simple, because the site that is providing them even says that they are not accurate!

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

Originally posted by kastrix

There are 12 million players in the world of warcraft. atleast thats what they say in the tv-comercials running in sweden atm.

Yea we have that here as well lol.  They supposedly (though unconfirmed) had around 12 million at the peak of cataclysm and have lost over 2 million since then (according to official figures), I think someone is telling porkies....

They also forgot to mention that something like 75% of their subscriptions come from Asia.  Which pay FAR less for their subscription and don't have a good alternative.  Most of their players are in China, where most other MMOs are banned.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

According to data on WarcraftRealms, MMOData and using the Internet Archive...

7 months ago there were 4 US servers with less than 1000 characters observed by wow census in 30 days, now there are over 40 of these servers, EU is worse, with 60 of them. This is a tremendous downward momentum.

Servers support 25,000 accounts each, there are over 100 servers with less than 4% capacity (based on no characters are alts).

The high water mark of subscriptions, which includes cataclysm release was 12 million, 6 in NA/EU and 6 in Asia.

Total player population observed now  is 1.9 million characters in the US, the last time wow census saw those numbers was Aug 2005, and there were 3 million NA/EU subs back then. It looks like wow has lost 50% of subs in one year and one expansion.

This thread again...

When will people realize that warcraftrealms.com and MMOdata.net are very inaccurate websites?  I find it hilarious you mention both these sites, and I don't even know what you are referring to as "internet archive..". 

MMOdata.net: Relies on the data provided by public statements made by the publishers of these MMOs when stating their total sub numbers.  As many people know, MOST MMO publishers are very tight lip about their numbers, broadcasting them very rarely.  Thus, the numbers presented are extremely inconsistent and usually out of date due to publishers rarely disclosing their sub numbers and CCU.  The site hasn't been updated since October, and that was news on a new chat system.

Warcraftrealms.com: Relies on players of WoW to download a mod and use said mod while playing.  This mod takes a tally of everybody in every zone at that given time.  Sounds great, but people only use the mod once, if at all, then go about leveling, raiding, pvping, ect.  Not only that but hardly ANYBODY uses this mod anymore.  So unless this mod is constantly being used by BOTH factions 24/7 on ALL servers in the US, EU, and Asia, the results of this mod's use will not be accurate.  Warcraftrealms.com has also stated that they do not have enough submissions (people using the mod and uploading their data) on multiple realms, thus leaving out HUGE chunks of missing information which equates to missing sub and CCU numbers.

Dont believe me?  Look at all the 0% on the server realms.  That means nobody for that server's specific faction used the mod.  And why should they?  They are too busy actually having FUN.

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/realmstats.php

Why does every nub who stumbles upon these sites feel the need to act like they found the holy grail of WoW demise news?

Punks on this site need to understand that things don't have to be perfect before they have meaning.   If you have a better tool for the numbers that we can't access prove it.  Otherwise, this might be the best information out there.  Sampling is good enough AND IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE PERFECT.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

Yes, they've lost a huge chunk of NA/EU playerbases.

Do they care? No, they're going to hoover up the Asian market and forget about us.

• denzeliandenzelian Member UncommonPosts: 26

due to some of us old timers getting bored    and seeing the future    almost a year till the next exp  and   who want to play a kids cartoon    so relistically    3 years  for a real new expansion

• KhroniclezKhroniclez Member Posts: 3

The population always goes up and down every year..People wanna try new games out so they unsub for a month or 2 than bam! Complain about the new game they are trying because its not WoW. Than go back to WoW.  Not saying any of the games are better than the other . WoW is a good game! It kept intrested for a long time. What i'm saying is old habits die hard.

WoW population will be fine..it always is..

• DSBHRDSBHR Member UncommonPosts: 75

What I kind of wonder and maybe someone has figured it out and I haven't heard.  How much money including box sales has WOW made so far?   That has to be an obscene #. 

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Razeron

Do they care? No, they're going to hoover up the Asian market and forget about us.

Actually lol the majority of the subs lost are in Asia which is why this is so funny. 

When discussing the issue, Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime said that one of the main issues was that players burned through Cataclysm content far faster than with Wrath of the Lich King. The majority of the subscriber decline comes from the East (where more than half the global subscriber base is located).

http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/11/08/wow-subscriber-numbers-down-to-10-3-million-players/

http://deltagamer.com/20033/wow-bleeding-subscribers-activision-blizzard-profits-almost-triple

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Originally posted by Razeron

Actually lol the majority of the subs lost are in Asia which is why this is so funny. 

When discussing the issue, Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime said that one of the main issues was that players burned through Cataclysm content far faster than with Wrath of the Lich King. The majority of the subscriber decline comes from the East (where more than half the global subscriber base is located).
    http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/11/08/wow-subscriber-numbers-down-to-10-3-million-players/
    http://deltagamer.com/20033/wow-bleeding-subscribers-activision-blizzard-profits-almost-triple

Funniest part of all that is they released cata with harder than usual content to keep players from progressing at a rapid pace.

Then the community backlashes because "its to hard" so Activision-Blizzard rectifies this only to have players quit because they have consumed the content in record time lol.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by Dragonantis

We have one of these threads at least once a week.

But if those numbers are correct it would show a turn for the worse for WoW.

BUT!

Blizzard has a record of always releasing a patch or expansion everytime this happens to recover their numbers.

BUT!

That last patch didnt see alot of thrills and player returns even though it gave WoW players what they asked for for 5 years. Heck even me, Ive been a WoW player since vanilla and I quit a few times a year and comeback for patches but this is the first one I didnt even bother to return for.

It will be interesting to see how the numbers pan out with the new games in 2012.

that was alot of buts...

Hehehe... these last two patches they made some interesting changes and added some neat stuff, and they buff hunters.

So I used that free 7day pass to log back in and play and must admit the Looking For Raid tool is nice and the server I play on is as busy as every... but it's no where near like it was during Burning Crusade.

Hopefully this Mist of the Panda's expansion thing brings more people back, I tell you thou the community is ruined and so is the economy. Just play WoW for what it is, a mIRC chat room with the ability to zerg instances and troll people.

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

censuswhat? Never used, never heard of it.

You said the original number is 6m in NA/EU and then you suddenly say that now there are 1.9m in US. Ok so what about the Eu the rest of NA?

What % of the population does this thing measure?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• alexminoalexmino Member Posts: 132

I played for 6 years before stopping, and never once talked to or played with a single person who used wow census.

A completly pointless addon that provides nothing usefull to the user.

Originally posted by waynejr2

Punks on this site need to understand that things don't have to be perfect before they have meaning.   If you have a better tool for the numbers that we can't access prove it.  Otherwise, this might be the best information out there.  Sampling is good enough AND IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE PERFECT.

"Punks on this site" bit was a nice touch!

I would agree that the figures don't have to be 'Perfect' but only 4% of servers with figures that the site itself regards as even close to accurate?!? C'mon, common sense says that you wouldn't take a punt on anything with only a 4% chance of it being accurate, would you?

What's the chances of me surviving this jump across the roof top......about 4%.....sweet, let's go! Hmmmm!

To be honest, the vast majority of players could care less about these things because as long as the game is still running and they can play it, that is all that matters. It just gets annoying when you have seen post after post after post claiming the demise of the game based on the figures from these sites claiming they accurately show the current state of the player population when they clearly don't.