Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 million units sold

13»

Comments

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

I see myself as a pretty good judge of mmo's both sandboxes and themepark alike.

I bought EQ1 and played for 3 1/2 years until they started changing crap with luclin.

I bought WoW and played until a little after BC came out(2 years-ish) because I knew where they were going.

I bought warhammer online, I quit within a week.

I bought Rift and quit within a week.

I bought LOTRO and quit after Mirkwood came out because I saw where it was going. Moria being the pinnacle.  

I bought SWTOR and am still playing and can see myself playing until they nerf the game more than it is and add cross server dungeon finders, damage meters, gear scores, and purple crystals at the Bioware store. Whats my point? My point is at this point it is a very good game. But history shows that if Bioware is anything like countless other developers they will ruin this game with "accesibility improvements". Does this game have anything different than others? Nope, except the story-telling. There is challenge(after level 30 in pve) and in pvp. So if Bioware doesnt ruin the game the only thing else out there that can is a GW2 or an Archeage, or a Embers of Caerus that works well.  

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Yep it is closng amy minute now......

2M is awesome.  Glad to see it.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by matraque

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-data/31584/star-wars-the-old-republic/

swtor theoretically passed the 2 million units sold.

Not sure if that was posted, but for a game that is not even a month old, it's pretty good no?

Discuss

funny how when dealing with mmo's these numbers never matter because they always have a huge number of people who bought the game and didn't resub even before their free time was up because the game WAS that bad. Ahem. This was the reason that WoW created it's level 20 cap free trial.

• DixonHillDixonHill Member UncommonPosts: 89

Originally posted by Mephster

About 2 mill sold but only 350,000 at peak times. I wonder where the rest of them went ?

ONLY? People have lives, have to work, have not to work, live in different time zones...there are probaly hundres of people logging in and out of the game every couple of seconds. 350,000 concurrent players is pretty good.

• Brenda_SBrenda_S Member Posts: 8

How the hell are people still posting links to vgchartz???

vgchartz is a fake sales site run by some little kid Xbox fan who use to post fake sales numbers on neogaf. He was so bad a trying to convince his made up inflated Xbox sales numbers were real that they:

* Perma-banned him from the forums

* You're not even allowed to mention his name or site

After getting perma-banned for spreading lies about sales he ran off and created his fake game sales numbers site. He sits in his mom's house typing made up numbers into his computer and uploads them to his sad little website. He is so dumb that he thinks that typing out his fake sales numbers to single digit precision makes them look more legit.

When real numbers come out from NPD and other sources he scrambles to change the numbers on his site to try to avoid being caught in his lies.

The only legitimate sales numbers will come from either NPD or EA themselves.

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431

I suppose that vgchartz wasn't that far off....

Now it's official.  2 million copies sold.

eqnext.wikia.com

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

I suppose that vgchartz wasn't that far off....

Now it's official.  2 million copies sold.

It's not clear when they hit the 2 million mark.  If they had sold 2 million as of 1/10 I'd have to believe they would have announced it then.  I wonder if it's safe to assume they are the fastest MMO to sell 2 million units.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Boggles

I give up some people are just too hard headed to get it.

Even if they did sell 2m which they " can not " confirm, they promised investors much much more.

See the problem?

Investors have lost confidence and are dumping shares, it takes those investor dollars to pay for game expansion.

All those big promises Bioware has made need to be paid for, I know some of you think that those expansions and added content are paid for by your monthly subscriptions but you would be greatly mistaken.

Development even after market development, is VERY expensive and takes investor capital. If you lose investor confidence well it has happened before..

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Originally posted by Mephster

About 2 mill sold but only 350,000 at peak times. I wonder where the rest of them went ?

The number of people who are complaining about the game is going up on all the gaming forums like this one and at the official forums.  I give this game 3-6 months before it's sitting right where Rift is.  It will still make them money, and some people will love it, but it will fail to grab a huge market share.  They would have to start immediately releasing some serious game-changers to turn this around.  And I'm talking about features that stop focusing on the story, and concentrate on GAMEPLAY which they should have done from the beginning.

i agree,this game seems to have less content than rift..only seems to have less..they really need to do a shed load of content to keep the peeps happy.not to mention sort out all the other probs..pvp and whatever else needs sorted.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/40930/Global/ 

this was their number as of 21 of january 2.06 million world wide!

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Originally posted by drbaltazar

But that's only boxes, right? A bit too optimistic.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Originally posted by Metentso

Originally posted by drbaltazar

But that's only boxes, right? A bit too optimistic.

Believe so.

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431

Originally posted by Sorrow

Boggles

I give up some people are just too hard headed to get it.

Even if they did sell 2m which they " can not " confirm, they promised investors much much more.

See the problem?

Investors have lost confidence and are dumping shares, it takes those investor dollars to pay for game expansion.

All those big promises Bioware has made need to be paid for, I know some of you think that those expansions and added content are paid for by your monthly subscriptions but you would be greatly mistaken.

Development even after market development, is VERY expensive and takes investor capital. If you lose investor confidence well it has happened before..

Then the news about EA stock increasing is good news!

eqnext.wikia.com

• almalexiusalmalexius Member UncommonPosts: 180

2 million sold means that the marketing machine worked really well. By no means it means it's a good game . Hell i bought one but it really bores me to tears. I am going to give it a miss.

WOW,eq2,Vanguard,WAR,LOTRO,AOC,Rift Aion, SWTOR, TERA.

Currently playing GW2.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Originally posted by melton80

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-data/31584/star-wars-the-old-republic/

swtor theoretically passed the 2 million units sold.

Not sure if that was posted, but for a game that is not even a month old, it's pretty good no?

Discuss

What does that mean? Aion had more then that many units sold and it is already converting over to the F2P model, 2 million sounds like a lot but nowadays it isn't, there are a few more P2P games that had just as many and more units sold that went F2P just in 2011 alone.

no they had not!because aion counded asia sale !swtor hasnt released yet in asia!also there was a lot of player at lunch i was there and server were almost all heavy +.so i believe they sold close to 2 million !but seeing player more then 20% on at any given time they better have gm made live event!cause scripting would never cut it!

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

Honestly, they could have delivered nothing at all and it still would have sold 2 million copies...

BECAUSE IT'S STAR WARS!!!

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by Coated

Honestly, they could have delivered nothing at all and it still would have sold 2 million copies...

BECAUSE IT'S STAR WARS!!!

if people haven't realised it yet hype+ star wars will sell anything... just look here 

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars.htm

almost made 1 billion worldwide

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by sammyeli

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by forumtalker

Originally posted by Struggs

It is pretty good. This is missing digital sales correct? or am I mistaken?

Good question, retail only sales?

VGChartz is box sales only, and do not include digital distributions directly from the manufacturers unless otherwise stated. They have some kind of proprietary magic formula to get the box sales. Nobody has disputed their numbers officially that I'm aware of (for instance, EA has never said the numbers were wrong).

Also, that 350,000 online at the same time was also a 'magic formula guess' so we don't really know how many are on at the same time and we don't really know how many accounts were started until Bioware tells us.

350K is not a magic formula guess

http://www.swtorarena.com/statistics/

What's sad is they went from roundly 550k players to 250k.

Whatever estimates or not it looks like they lost 50% of players in the first month.

And that's what seems to have happened as only a handful of servers are either heavy or full at peak time.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Originally posted by I_Return

LotrO sold more.

Link please