Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the MMO community should continue to support SW:TOR

Comments

• GeridenGeriden Member UncommonPosts: 390

I was really shocked at how poorly this game was made, But what i find even more shocking is the sheer amount of people who think this is a good quality game thats worth a monthly fee let alone the box price !

If things carry on this way the mmo genre is going die because no one is going to invest in this garbage any more becuase this crap they keep trying shovel down our throats. 

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Problem is that developers & publishers seem to produce games that have more and more in common with single player / ordinary multiplayer games than with long-term games.

Many players just buy your average EQ / WoW clone mmoprg level character till max level ,then run instances over and over for couple weeks and he / she then "finishes the game" and stop playing.  Some stay a bit longer to level few alts.

Miniority stay for long-term.

Until mmorpg's devs will start to create games that create COMMUNITIES and make players BUILD something and get attached to it , then we will see same scenario over and over.

Flood of players pre-ordering and buying boxes short after premiere and then massive drop.

World of Warcraft was succesful with it's model with millions of long-term players because it was first really mainstream mmorpg that 90% of playerbase played at first mmo ever. ( Second thing is that levelling in WoW took ~6 months at beggining and not 2 weeks like it does atm so players had fun and groupped at low and mid levels as well on same server)

WoW-clone in it's core "create character get on rail-road and run instances over and over at max level" gathering millions of players committed for long years will just NOT happen again.

If devs want long-term playerbase they have to create diffrent kind of mmorpg. Simple as that.  Propably will have to aim for smaller playerbase as well.

It will be either big playerbase at beggining but shrinking in size fast OR small-medium sized at beggining but long-term and loyal with some slow growth potential.

Just fanatical millions-sized commited for years playerbase will NOT happen in mmorpg's again.

In mmofps or mmo-something or just whole diffrent genres? Maybe ,maybe not. 

Not in mmrprg's - at least not in WoW-cloned ones (that includes even slightly diffrent yet similar mmorpg's like WoW / War /Swtor / etc)

Some companies think F2P will cure this problem as well. Wrong.  Not all mmos will be as succesful as f.e. DDO with their transition to freemium.

Most will gather big initial audience but it will wither fast as well. It already starts to happening. They lose players faster than first p2p->f2p games.

Simply becasuse problem does not lie in business model, at least not core of the problem.

• GolarumGolarum Member Posts: 151

I am one of these players who already quit on SWTOR. Actually I played every single mmo that ever came out in NA, and I have never quit on a game before at least the second month. I even stayed with Vanguard, AoC and WAR beyond the first month, and these game releases were a disaster.

The reason for me leaving the game is that it is getting painful for me just to log on. The storyline is amazing, but that is it. The game mechanics are just not there. PvP really sucks and the game is just not fun, it's just not about content.

Another thing is that this is a product, EA is one of the richest gaming companies out there, their EA sports IP make them so much money it's ridiculous. It is not up to me as a consumer to pay for an unready product. They need to make a ready product, launch it and make me purchase a finished product, if not the customer gets pissed.

I got caught in the CE scam, I call it a scam for several reasons, the ingame items are just plain stupid, nothing noticeable. The figurine has not value whatsoever, I took it to a collector and asked him if this would ever take any value with time, he said no, I asked him how much he would estimate it at, he said tops $20. So I paid $150 for nothing. Now I am more pissed at myself for falling into it, but you know in life we make mistakes, and this is one of them.

Actually the only reason I would come back to SWTOR is if they completely change their game mechanics and the game basics and of course everything that has to do with PvP.

Peace

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by forest-nl

It did not cost 300million why you think a mediocre game cost 300million lol. Well not in million years this game costed 300million maybe max 80 million but seems even unreal.

And i have the feeling your EA or Bioware employee whos payed to come here and beg players to keep there sub hehe.

Having worked in the industry over ten years now, TOR certainly feels like a 300M game.  It's way more than what you could feasibly accomplish with 80M.

Whether you get all grognardy about the game being a Themepark's Themepark is another matter, but clearly for the overwhelming number of players I talk to ingame they're totally satisfied with it (and I hear a ton of "this is the best MMORPG ever" in chat, followed by agreeing players.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• GeridenGeriden Member UncommonPosts: 390

Originally posted by Axehilt

It did not cost 300million why you think a mediocre game cost 300million lol. Well not in million years this game costed 300million maybe max 80 million but seems even unreal.

And i have the feeling your EA or Bioware employee whos payed to come here and beg players to keep there sub hehe.

Having worked in the industry over ten years now, TOR certainly feels like a 300M game.  It's way more than what you could feasibly accomplish with 80M.

Whether you get all grognardy about the game being a Themepark's Themepark is another matter, but clearly for the overwhelming number of players I talk to ingame they're totally satisfied with it (and I hear a ton of "this is the best MMORPG ever" in chat, followed by agreeing players.)

I would guess They spent the nearly all the budget getting blur studios to make those cgi movie's for the game, Its the only thing about the entire game that has a any profesional production value, The game itself  is average and below average in regards to everything outside the story, Anyone in my class could make more lively world(i meant world zone planet thingy) in a month or even some fecking imaginative race models (animator btw). 

Originally posted by Geriden

I would guess They spent the nearly all the budget getting blur studios to make those cgi movie's for the game, Its the only thing about the entire game that has a any profesional production value, The game itself  is average and below average in regards to everything outside the story, Anyone in my class could make more lively world(i meant world zone planet thingy) in a month or even some fecking imaginative race models (animator btw). 

Blur movies, voiceacting, all the systems and mechanics in the game actually feeling 90% as polished as WOW (whereas typical MMORPGs are a jumbled mess with terrible controls), huge expansive areas (tons of art), and if they're smart some awesome tools to fast track adding new content to the game.

The models not being ultra-cutting-edge graphics is a very smart business decision (ask AO and AoC how their launches went when they tried to dramatically up the graphics bar in an MMORPG, and nobody could run it.)  Personally I feel the art style they went with for ToR was very smartly made.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by BigBadWolfe

Okay so I'm hearing a lot of reports from players saying that they like TOR but they don't want to stay subbed to it, or that they are going to cancel and resub back to the game when they've added more content/fixed issues.

DON'T DO THAT.

EA/Bioware spent a lot of money on SW:TOR, I'm hearing estimates around $300 million or so, that's the most money a company has ever tossed at the MMO industry.  You WANT them to toss money at us.  However in order to cover such a big investment, Bioware needs an evern bigger return, and that's where the MMO community comes in.  Unlike other gaming industries, MMOs need to establish a relationship with the playerbase to keep making money, and lately that relationship as soured. A lot of developers think the MMO community has turned into a bunch of loud-mouth, lazy, fickle bunch of spoiled brats.

We need to change our ways and have more realistic expectations of new MMOs if the industry is going to survive. 

1.) We need to understand that a game that just launched is simply not going to have as much end-game content as a game that's been out for over a 1-6years.

2.) We need to understand that if we want new content, we have to pay for it.  If you like the game but want more content, unsubbing isn't going to help, but only make things worse.

3.) We really need to stop comparing everything to WoW.  I think this is self-explanitory.

4.) We really need to stop wishing every MMO that's not your kind of MMO will fail.  Just because I might not like that style of MMO doesn't mean that it should fail, and nobody be allowed to play it.

I'm not a SW:TOR fanboy, I'm just concerned what will happen to the industry if a huge financial investment like TOR can't buy its way into the market.  I can imagine that it's failure will create another black hole, similiar to Warhammer, where the industry was stuck in the dark ages of bad mmos for another 2-3 years.  Or even worse, MMOs turn out to be an unprofitable fad and they pull the plug like they did with the Guitar Hero type games.

So in conclusion if you do like Star Wars: The Old Republc, give them your money.  TOR may not be the best game in the market, or any good at all, but it's definitely super expensive, and it's new, and EA gets really mad if they don't get paid.  We want to keep the relationship between MMO companies and communities good, or they might pull out and go make cheap browser games or something.

I changed my ways by being open minded and actually trying out games.

Read my history if you deem it so but I am already giving some faith after my experiences, not talking about SWTOR either.

However I don't think SWTOR sucks, I do think it sucks they left things out really just one big issue that's apparent out of the game that would have atleast make me consider playing it and subbing for a little bit.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by Geriden

Blur movies, voiceacting, all the systems and mechanics in the game actually feeling 90% as polished as WOW (whereas typical MMORPGs are a jumbled mess with terrible controls), huge expansive areas (tons of art), and if they're smart some awesome tools to fast track adding new content to the game.

The models not being ultra-cutting-edge graphics is a very smart business decision (ask AO and AoC how their launches went when they tried to dramatically up the graphics bar in an MMORPG, and nobody could run it.)  Personally I feel the art style they went with for ToR was very smartly made.

I agree about the art more I play more I have gotten used to the style. Also if you got a good gaming rig with nvidia cards do yourself a favor and get nvidia inspector and run the game with 8xS AA and 2x SGAA game looks a million times better imho and its still performs well(almost consistant 60 fps) on my intell 2600k, 560 ti sli setup.

My main beef with the game is how lazy if feels they went with the talent trees. I really dislike how little customization they provide to the limited number of classes and the fact you get very very few new abilities from the talent trees as most are just increase skill by x amount type talents. Also combat animations could use some work and make them blend better. For example Jedi Knights master strike is just it all over the place and hardly ever even hits the target(animation wise).

• Deadeye31Deadeye31 Member Posts: 50
    There is only one company in the world I support undyingly and that is Crypton Future Media, the leading vocaloid developers in the world. What they have done with Hatsune Miku and the other vocaloids has created a revolution in music, technology, human creativity and change the way all three of these things come together forever. That, ladies and gentlemen, is a product worthy of that kind of support and if they ever release and English version of Miku, I will be leaving gaming possibly forever.

That said, I enjoy TOR, and will be subscribing for a good, long while. I think the base game is there; I think they blow WoW's leveling grind out of the water and, quite frankly I like it because it plays a lot like WOW without being in a fantasy setting; a setting that is quite dull and done to death (like ww2 games).
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I'm sorry, but when GW2 comes out i would love to know thier price tag so we can compare. They had Lucas Arts and EA money, surely they could have done MUCH much better then the sorry excuse for a game outside of the movies and the VO's they put in! That's usually what everyone's refering to when they say it feels like a crappier game because they DIDN'T take the time to flesh out the entire game they just threw something at the SW fanbois to get them to be quiet and it DOES show in their game. Seriously compare and let me know because if GW2 is a smash hit and is completely fleshed out in all respects like they claim they are working on and their company only spent 60m on their game, then we can go back and stare down LA and EA like the rest of us are already doing because we are already asking the questions like "where's the ambiance, where's the AH, where's the critters, where's the npc interaction OUTSIDE of the VO cinematics" the list goes on. I hope someone does this comparison so the rest of you can see what those of us complaining are actually complaining about. They had all the money they needed and then they pull this crap it's a slap to the intelligence of every player.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Okay so I'm hearing a lot of reports from players saying that they like TOR but they don't want to stay subbed to it, or that they are going to cancel and resub back to the game when they've added more content/fixed issues.

DON'T DO THAT.

EA/Bioware spent a lot of money on SW:TOR, I'm hearing estimates around $300 million or so, that's the most money a company has ever tossed at the MMO industry.  

Soooo even tho they insulted your intelligence by throwing a turd at you when they promised more, they spent huge amounts of money on this turd and still didn't deliver what they promised the players and the SW fans, AND even tho they are acting like a typical huge corporation and banning players for a simple offense using a bug that THEY THEMSELVES let slip during the ALPHA STAGE we should very much so support them anyways?! Wow...just wow.

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

DON'T DO THAT.

EA/Bioware spent a lot of money on SW:TOR, I'm hearing estimates around $300 million or so, that's the most money a company has ever tossed at the MMO industry.  You WANT them to toss money at us.  However in order to cover such a big investment, Bioware needs an evern bigger return, and that's where the MMO community comes in.  Unlike other gaming industries, MMOs need to establish a relationship with the playerbase to keep making money, and lately that relationship as soured. A lot of developers think the MMO community has turned into a bunch of loud-mouth, lazy, fickle bunch of spoiled brats.

We need to change our ways and have more realistic expectations of new MMOs if the industry is going to survive. 

1.) We need to understand that a game that just launched is simply not going to have as much end-game content as a game that's been out for over a 1-6years.

2.) We need to understand that if we want new content, we have to pay for it.  If you like the game but want more content, unsubbing isn't going to help, but only make things worse.

3.) We really need to stop comparing everything to WoW.  I think this is self-explanitory.

4.) We really need to stop wishing every MMO that's not your kind of MMO will fail.  Just because I might not like that style of MMO doesn't mean that it should fail, and nobody be allowed to play it.

I'm not a SW:TOR fanboy, I'm just concerned what will happen to the industry if a huge financial investment like TOR can't buy its way into the market.  I can imagine that it's failure will create another black hole, similiar to Warhammer, where the industry was stuck in the dark ages of bad mmos for another 2-3 years.  Or even worse, MMOs turn out to be an unprofitable fad and they pull the plug like they did with the Guitar Hero type games.

So in conclusion if you do like Star Wars: The Old Republc, give them your money.  TOR may not be the best game in the market, or any good at all, but it's definitely super expensive, and it's new, and EA gets really mad if they don't get paid.  We want to keep the relationship between MMO companies and communities good, or they might pull out and go make cheap browser games or something.

Or, you know, they could go B2P. People have clearly shown they don't want to pay a sub for the game then why keep it? People are saying that they already made their money back with the box/digital sales, so why charge a sub fee right away? Why not offer buyable content DLC packs instead? Blaming the playerbase cause they don't want to think outside of the box is a sign of shortsightedness and they deserve what they get.

• synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563

i personally like the game. Its not the best game I've played but considering it was just released its not the worst game either. I'll give them  6 months and see how far the game has come since release and base my decision on  whether to stay or not from there. gamers have impossible expectations from newly released games. Most of the old time gamers knew to expect a buggy product right out the gate and i can't recall any game tht didn't have its issues to deal with. Oh well I'm sure most of the gamers noways are from the wow era and haven't really seen problems that even WoW vanilla faced at release or what types of expectations players that followed wow from beta stages hoped for when it was released only to be let down time after time.

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

No, even if there weren't any more big players going into MMO industry, what are changes that in near future the executives think anything else than WoW will be success? You pay now, you just get more of the same...

I think it's better to go with smaller studios and allow some of new players to move to them after getting some sort introduction to genre. Or is more of the same generic junk a good idea?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

To OP:  Are you serious?  While I'm enjoying the game so far, I can already see its longevity won't be half that of WoW's, so there's no way I'm going to pay for 6 months of something I'm bored with.  Maybe game companies should worry more about meat and potatoes gameplay instead of presentation and they wouldn't have to worry about losing money.  The MMO genre will be just fine even if TOR doesn't survive.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

This is why I will cancel my sub: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=151787

Who is going to support a company that practices shady "underhand" tactics and basically can't be trusted!

If they do it with an hot issue like this, you can bet they do it with other hot issues too!

The game is currently NOT delivering what was advertised and is still advertised on the main site (screenshots / videos) and they try to rub this problem under the carpet, cover it up and hope the backlash will be minimal and rest of the people will forget about it!

Sorry... but such a company does not deserve my money.

Cheers

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Are they cutting corners or what?  If they are, I bet it was EA's idea, not Bioware's.

• DracillDracill Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I only agree with the OP in one thing. If you like the game play it and pay. If you don't like the game don't play it and don't pay.

Do not take your decision of play or not based on some kind of high ideal about what the industry or others are going to say...

Fun = play
    Not fun = not play

Its not hard to get.
  • dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

For me it's not a lack of so called "content" it's about lacking "endgame" options IE not just grind pve/pvp gear or die.

Somehow I doubt this game is truely going to expand horizontally much, it will just keep adding to the vertical ladder. Something I do not wish to support.

I don't really see why, especially in the case with SW:ToR which is very similar in many ways so much so that it in fact is virtually a feature by feature direct competitor.

I agree but not wishing a games demise does not equal throwing money at it.

• niteflynitefly Member Posts: 340

Even though I get that the OP was joking I think that it's vitally important that gamers understand that the only influence they have is the influence they exert with their wallets.

And if/when you decide not to play a game anymore, take the time to write something that makes sense in the "Why do you quit?" box.

Originally posted by itgrowls

I'm sorry, but when GW2 comes out i would love to know thier price tag so we can compare. They had Lucas Arts and EA money, surely they could have done MUCH much better then the sorry excuse for a game outside of the movies and the VO's they put in! That's usually what everyone's refering to when they say it feels like a crappier game because they DIDN'T take the time to flesh out the entire game they just threw something at the SW fanbois to get them to be quiet and it DOES show in their game. Seriously compare and let me know because if GW2 is a smash hit and is completely fleshed out in all respects like they claim they are working on and their company only spent 60m on their game, then we can go back and stare down LA and EA like the rest of us are already doing because we are already asking the questions like "where's the ambiance, where's the AH, where's the critters, where's the npc interaction OUTSIDE of the VO cinematics" the list goes on. I hope someone does this comparison so the rest of you can see what those of us complaining are actually complaining about. They had all the money they needed and then they pull this crap it's a slap to the intelligence of every player.

What's GW2 got to do with it?  Nowhere did I state it was the most efficient $300m ever spent. Just that it is a game where I could easily see $300m having been spent.

EA/LucasArts being involved actually makes the $300m number that much more believable -- do you think you can just add in additional arms of a company, and additional companies into the creative process without introducing inefficiencies?

AH?  Er...the AH is quite functional.  Heck, the inclusion of default pricing actually being in the ballpark of where you want to sell an item almost makes it better than WOW's functionality.

Apart from that the other aspects you mention (critters, ambiance, npc interaction outside conversations) seems really far-fetched.  Would they make the game better?  Absolutely.  Is the game in any way crippled by leaving them out?  Absolutely not.

• HatewallHatewall Member Posts: 120

I love Star Wars. I have loved it since I was a kid playing with the toys.

I wanted TOR to be awsome.

For a quarter of a BILLION dollars, why don't we have a good Star Wars game? WTF?

How much money would it take?

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

Not supporting Swtor isn't going to destroy the mmorpg genre.  It may cost some big people at EA/Bioware their jobs if the money doesn't come in fast enough, and EA may avoid the genre for a couple years, but in the end there is too much money to be made for the genre to collapse.

What not supporting Swtor will do, is send yet another message that mediocrity and lies won't be tolerated. 

However any affect there will be diminished from the long term nature of mmorpgs.  However much I'd like to see EA have to swallow a loss on Swtor, the reality is that even if it goes the way of WAR, it will likely turn a small profit in the long run.

By the OPs logic we all should have given our bank accounts and credit cards to Dark and Light and Thrones of Chaos (Realms of ??? can't remember all its incarnations anymore).

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

Originally posted by Pelu

hm... Every time a new game launches, people start complaining...

There is little content... complain...

There is too much content... complain... (like one of the guys writing things here)...

The game is generic... complain...

Its too different I cant understand it... Complain!!!

It gets boring after a while because I dont feel high anymore... Complain...

It looks cartoonish ... Complain...

It looks too real ... Complain...

The mmo genre is stagnant... Complain...

WoW Clone... Complain

Sandbox... Complain...

Let me put it this way, if you played swtor and if feels like more of the same... You can cancel yoru account right away, delete all your mmos from your computer adn forget about the genre for the next 15 years or the rest of your life...

OR....They could wait for something refreshing and original like a few of the slated mmo's set for release this year.

I love this trend of "Its not TOR...Its you" lol..,

Also, Game companies arent "throwing money at us"....there throwing bad games and hitting people in the pocket.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I'm not going to reward stale MMO design with an active subscription.

There are things I like about the game, but there is too much I don't like. A few of those things might be fixed or improved, but others are too instrinsic in the game design or would require unrealistic amounts of development to address.

I can find things to pass the time with in the game, but with the constant reminder of how flawed some elements of the game are at every play session.

Bioware/EA cut corners and made compromises to get the game out in four years. From the game engine to core design decisions, the comproises were just too great and the result is massive potential completely wasted.

If this game had come out five years ago, it might have thrived among it's contemporaries. For a 2012 MMO title, it just comes off as extremly stale; a game that sacrificed fun and usability by making imitation, rather than innovation, the prime consideration.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated