Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the MMO community should continue to support SW:TOR

Comments

• ReborncRebornc Member UncommonPosts: 42

They shouldn´t have wasted 250 Million $ on  StarWars and Voice Acting while only putting 50 Million in the actual game.

Tbh i dont care if its a success or not. Its not my game. Its boring. Its the same old shit. I´d rather had 6 different studios with each havin 50 million $ but everyone doing some different stuff.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

dont sweat it for ea bio they ve recuperated tha money already from sub and the game!and it is good enough that they will do good!is it a good pvp game?hell no not in they huttball game and all,but it has the right stuff in the world for pvpve in the world like we had in wow tho,ho yes go heroic area on tatooine and have a blast it is so far the perfect place .it wouldnt take a lot from ea to convert this to epic pvpve place some whine the game is too easy isint arent there various setting ,like if i recall correctly there suposed to be a nightmare setting dont know how that work out tho,but foe hardness start to pickup around level 30

as pve goes i feel this is one of the least boring game i have met,some wont like what i say but i tell you ,a lot of people dont like to read the book you have to search in the game ,they prefer to search npc they can speak to .

sadly wow isnt sleeping on their crown,they re putting the finishing touch to their 64 bit plan,and this my friend will bring lot of smoothness to a game that is already very polish,who knows what this will permit them to do but i fell not being locked in the 3.5 gb limit will help them a lot.

but the trend these day is people are moving away from p2p game .the number of game on the shelf we have gathering dust is proof of that!

and most are fed up of paying upfront just to see if they ll enjoy it or not.

so for support of swtor.it is a good game graphic are nice once properly set .but not enough to earn simpathy among pro game!

it is a game made for star wars fan .it isnt meant to steal gamer from wow,if it happens it happens ,but it is only a second thot by the look of it!

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Supporting SWTOR with your wallet is like sending money to a TV preacher, no thanks.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I have opposite oppinion to OP

I think we should NOT support SWTOR. Because the future of MMOs hangs on it.

If it suceeds - we will have 8 more years of clone,themepark,non innovative,derrivative games.

If it fails - maybe finally developers will understand that they have to innovate and evolve the genre. And not just copy one same game for 8 years.

• UOloverUOlover Member UncommonPosts: 339

If you're going to reward someone just for the sake of trying, then reward someone who is actually trying to be different, who is actually trying to move the bar. I do not reward WoW lite.

• xfur24xfur24 Member UncommonPosts: 4

Seriously, guys, i think our last hope is either D3 or GW2.

• BigBadWolfeBigBadWolfe Member Posts: 143
    I can't speak for Diablo 3, but I will let you guys in on a little secret. GW2 is gonna launch with no endgame and broken PvP just like SW:TOR did and just like literally every MMO that came out before it did.
    Say what you will about SW:TOR but this game has had the most successful launch in the history of MMOs. This is as good as its going to get.
    Nobody is going to be able to spend as much money to compete with Blizzard like EA can, so we should support EA because they have the money to make/copy the content we want.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

Originally posted by Pyrostasis

Originally posted by senadin

Originally posted by wormywyrm

I don't want games like TOR, I would rather start over with low budget MMOs and see them gain momentum down the right path.  The path layed out by UO --> SWG  --> ???    NOT the path laid out by EQ --> WoW  --> a bunch of really bad rip offs.

Well technically it went like this...

UO --> EQ --> SWG --> WoW....

And SWG was not a low budget....

Guess you didnt understand...

UO and SWG were sandbox games

EQ and WoW were theme park games

Thats why he listed them on seperate tracks.

A better way to list it would be...

Sandbox track

UO - > AC - > Shadowbane - > SWG -> EvE Online ->

Theme Park track

EQ -> EQ2 -> WoW -> WAR - > AOC -> Rift -> SWTOR

Both tracks are extremely different games. One focuses on player driven content that needs very little dev creation the other is 100% developer induced fun.

One could stop getting content and play on for years just fine... the other would die rather quickly

more like

UO -> AC ->SWG -> Lineage2->EVE -> Perpetuum->(World of darkness?)

EQ -> COX ->EQ2 -> WOW ->AOC->Rift ->SWTOR->(Titan?)

DAOC->Shadowbane->planetside->WAR->AION -> (GW2? / TSW? / dominus?)

weirdly, the sandbox line has stayed the strongest over the years, I mean RIFT & AION bloody attrocious, WAR went through bad then OK then back to bad, gconan started bad, got better but chucked away all pretentions at PVP

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

No, no, no, no, a thousand times, No. People who enjoy the game and find it worth the money should sub to the game. If someone doesn't like the game, they should not pay a sub and they shouldn't stay subbed to the game. Developers need to make a game that is worth the money spent right now, not expect people to spend money in the expectation that the game will be worth it 'some day'.

That said, I will continue my sub because I find the game to be worth it. If someone else doesn't find the game to be worth it, there is no reason at all for them to pay for it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by BigBadWolfe

I can't speak for Diablo 3, but I will let you guys in on a little secret. GW2 is gonna launch with no endgame and broken PvP just like SW:TOR did and just like literally every MMO that came out before it did.

Say what you will about SW:TOR but this game has had the most successful launch in the history of MMOs. This is as good as its going to get.

Nobody is going to be able to spend as much money to compete with Blizzard like EA can, so we should support EA because they have the money to make/copy the content we want.

GW2 no endgame ?

What is endgame but poor excuse to stretch subscription lifetime when content in themepark MMO runs out ?

GW2 is no themepark - so no need for endgame.

As for PVP being broken ?!

I seen demo of PVP mission being played at some of latest conventions, and it seems to be amazingly good, better perhaps than anything i ever seen, especially in MMO...

So how is it broken ?

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Ummmmm.....NO

Why in the hell would I spend my money to support a company that delivers another generic MMO?

I like SWTOR and will probably play it for a few months. But asking me to pay to " support EA", that has got to be the biggest joke I have ever seen posted. .... i mean Really??

I would rather the genre die a horrible death now than be playing the same shit 10 years from now. And by supporting EA you are basically supporting the same shit that has been rehashed.

" Here EA, I know you released a subpar rehash MMO, but take my money anyway, you need it more than I do" .. No thanks, I leave that to suckers like you. Continue to support companies that make games you really dont like in the hopes that they will eventually make something you do like.... logic is flawed...

And to add again, I AM playing SWTOR and do like it somewhat.. But to call this game anything but what it is-- Rehash + Voiceovers-- Is being a blind Star Wars fan. For christ sakes it didnt even release with standard MMO features.... but but its got Voice overs..... and .... erm.... voiceovers.............. Yeah......

Good luck supporting EA dude

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

I will not sub and support a game unless I am enjoying said game.  I said I would sub to SWTOR If I was still having fun playing the game, however I just can't bring myself to log into the game anymore. I feel for me it's a combination of MMORPG Themepark burnout and not feeling like I'm part of a living breathing world.

No signature, I don't have a pen

I find it hillarious that people are asking us to support EA

When EA have not supported any MMO they have released ever and have also let many many once great dev studios turn to crap.

If this was some indie game with a small budget but lots of fresh ideas and lots of potential to be a truly great MMO, then asking us to support it would be fine.

But its not original, it doesn't offer any potential other than slightly better looking and lots better sounding WOW, and its frikin EA!!!

That said i like the game - AS A RPG, it just has no long term interest for me as a MMO.  I'll level a couple of chars to 50, then im off.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Feed the horse so it can produce more horse shit.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

Originally posted by Lobotomist

GW2 no endgame ?

What is endgame but poor excuse to stretch subscription lifetime when content in themepark MMO runs out ?

GW2 is no themepark - so no need for endgame.

As for PVP being broken ?!

I seen demo of PVP mission being played at some of latest conventions, and it seems to be amazingly good, better perhaps than anything i ever seen, especially in MMO...

So how is it broken ?

GW2 is a themepark, it has some sandboxy elements to one of its PVP modes, but its still a themepark.

• boubhsboubhs Member Posts: 73

Okay so I'm hearing a lot of reports from players saying that they like TOR but they don't want to stay subbed to it, or that they are going to cancel and resub back to the game when they've added more content/fixed issues.

DON'T DO THAT.

EA/Bioware spent a lot of money on SW:TOR, I'm hearing estimates around $300 million or so, that's the most money a company has ever tossed at the MMO industry.  You WANT them to toss money at us.  However in order to cover such a big investment, Bioware needs an evern bigger return, and that's where the MMO community comes in.  Unlike other gaming industries, MMOs need to establish a relationship with the playerbase to keep making money, and lately that relationship as soured. A lot of developers think the MMO community has turned into a bunch of loud-mouth, lazy, fickle bunch of spoiled brats.

We need to change our ways and have more realistic expectations of new MMOs if the industry is going to survive. 

1.) We need to understand that a game that just launched is simply not going to have as much end-game content as a game that's been out for over a 1-6years.

2.) We need to understand that if we want new content, we have to pay for it.  If you like the game but want more content, unsubbing isn't going to help, but only make things worse.

3.) We really need to stop comparing everything to WoW.  I think this is self-explanitory.

4.) We really need to stop wishing every MMO that's not your kind of MMO will fail.  Just because I might not like that style of MMO doesn't mean that it should fail, and nobody be allowed to play it.

I'm not a SW:TOR fanboy, I'm just concerned what will happen to the industry if a huge financial investment like TOR can't buy its way into the market.  I can imagine that it's failure will create another black hole, similiar to Warhammer, where the industry was stuck in the dark ages of bad mmos for another 2-3 years.  Or even worse, MMOs turn out to be an unprofitable fad and they pull the plug like they did with the Guitar Hero type games.

So in conclusion if you do like Star Wars: The Old Republc, give them your money.  TOR may not be the best game in the market, or any good at all, but it's definitely super expensive, and it's new, and EA gets really mad if they don't get paid.  We want to keep the relationship between MMO companies and communities good, or they might pull out and go make cheap browser games or something.

LOOOOL!!!!! man get serious pls. game sucks. If you want to give them your money, do it by your own. i m lvl 46 shadow but thats enough. cant play it any more, so bb SWTOR.

• 17Omega17Omega Member Posts: 44

SWTOR successful? I rather play SWG then this low budget crap, the only high budget it has is VO that's it, all the rest is horrible bugs, glitches and optimization.

Also GW 2, dude i played that game in GC 2010 till 2011 and let me tell you, each time I played the game it became polished after polished after polished to the point where they should release the god damn game. I tried the competitive pvp, fought Tequatl, played as an Asuran "which i must say the animation is awesome". I even talked to Anet staff members and you know what they talk about? freakin games like UO, DAOC and AC it's crazy how they don't talk about marketing or anything related to the word $$, it's all games, artwork and the community. 

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Actually, the more big games fail, the better it is for the market. It means big budget studios aren't required to make a good game and it gives the smaller companies that are trying to do something unique a chance at success.

And from a customer standpoint, it would be better to have a lot of smaller games that cater to specific tastes and made the customer very satisfied than big games that try to bring in everyone so they dumb down all the features and content leaving you with a watered down version of what you actually want.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Originally posted by Pyrostasis

Originally posted by senadin

Originally posted by wormywyrm

I don't want games like TOR, I would rather start over with low budget MMOs and see them gain momentum down the right path.  The path layed out by UO --> SWG  --> ???    NOT the path laid out by EQ --> WoW  --> a bunch of really bad rip offs.

Well technically it went like this...

UO --> EQ --> SWG --> WoW....

And SWG was not a low budget....

Guess you didnt understand...

UO and SWG were sandbox games

EQ and WoW were theme park games

Thats why he listed them on seperate tracks.

A better way to list it would be...

Sandbox track

UO - > AC - > Shadowbane - > SWG -> EvE Online ->

Theme Park track

EQ -> EQ2 -> WoW -> WAR - > AOC -> Rift -> SWTOR

Both tracks are extremely different games. One focuses on player driven content that needs very little dev creation the other is 100% developer induced fun.

One could stop getting content and play on for years just fine... the other would die rather quickly

more like

UO -> AC ->SWG -> Lineage2->EVE -> Perpetuum->(World of darkness?)

EQ -> COX ->EQ2 -> WOW ->AOC->Rift ->SWTOR->(Titan?)

DAOC->Shadowbane->planetside->WAR->AION -> (GW2? / TSW? / dominus?)

weirdly, the sandbox line has stayed the strongest over the years, I mean RIFT & AION bloody attrocious, WAR went through bad then OK then back to bad, gconan started bad, got better but chucked away all pretentions at PVP

Everyone leaves out AO...   This game was (IMO) a successful mix of Themepark and Sandbox (if you survived the launch).

They also had a mission generator mechanic that worked. This is something that really hasn't seen alot of duplication in AAA MMO's and that's unfortunate because with tweaks it could be an incredible content mechanic.

COX added something similar with their Mission architect system but the manner in which it was implemented allowed for a great deal of abuse. A mix of AO's and COX's versions would really be a boon for any AAA title.

I genuinely feel that had TOR made use of such a mechanic, the general opinion of the game would be higher. With the content instancing set to individual rooms, They definitely have the base architecture in place.

Here's hoping that TSW polishes this mechanic and  shows how dynamic it actually can be.

• warbot7777warbot7777 Member Posts: 110

Okay so I'm hearing a lot of reports from players saying that they like TOR but they don't want to stay subbed to it, or that they are going to cancel and resub back to the game when they've added more content/fixed issues.

DON'T DO THAT.

EA/Bioware spent a lot of money on SW:TOR, I'm hearing estimates around $300 million or so, that's the most money a company has ever tossed at the MMO industry.  You WANT them to toss money at us.  However in order to cover such a big investment, Bioware needs an evern bigger return, and that's where the MMO community comes in.  Unlike other gaming industries, MMOs need to establish a relationship with the playerbase to keep making money, and lately that relationship as soured. A lot of developers think the MMO community has turned into a bunch of loud-mouth, lazy, fickle bunch of spoiled brats.

We need to change our ways and have more realistic expectations of new MMOs if the industry is going to survive. 

1.) We need to understand that a game that just launched is simply not going to have as much end-game content as a game that's been out for over a 1-6years.

2.) We need to understand that if we want new content, we have to pay for it.  If you like the game but want more content, unsubbing isn't going to help, but only make things worse.

3.) We really need to stop comparing everything to WoW.  I think this is self-explanitory.

4.) We really need to stop wishing every MMO that's not your kind of MMO will fail.  Just because I might not like that style of MMO doesn't mean that it should fail, and nobody be allowed to play it.

I'm not a SW:TOR fanboy, I'm just concerned what will happen to the industry if a huge financial investment like TOR can't buy its way into the market.  I can imagine that it's failure will create another black hole, similiar to Warhammer, where the industry was stuck in the dark ages of bad mmos for another 2-3 years.  Or even worse, MMOs turn out to be an unprofitable fad and they pull the plug like they did with the Guitar Hero type games.

So in conclusion if you do like Star Wars: The Old Republc, give them your money.  TOR may not be the best game in the market, or any good at all, but it's definitely super expensive, and it's new, and EA gets really mad if they don't get paid.  We want to keep the relationship between MMO companies and communities good, or they might pull out and go make cheap browser games or something.

You bring up some really good points dude. My favorites are numbers 1 and 3. I love TOR, and when I hear people badmouthing it, I question them, not the game. My guild and I are having a blast. Say goodbye to a boring wall of quest text. Say hello to incredible story and fun pvp/raids.

If I had to pick out the things I dislike it would be this:

1. Unresponsiveness(Yep, I noticed it also. I press a button at a critical moment, only to have the skill fire seconds later when its too late)

2. Lag? I get a ton of lag spikes during the peak hours of playtime. Ping 33, ping 1000. Ping 53, ping 890. My ms is fine with everything but TOR. My FPS is stable.

3. Resolve - I'm sure they know this is screwed up.

4. Customization - This is a big one. WTF were they thinking on this one? I see clones of myself like every 20 minutes. I picked a Zabrak which makes it worse. Only like 5 diff types of heads? Cmon Bioware. I'm really hoping that Legacy lets you pick new options, new heads, new tattoos and new haircuts. I'm not an emo RL, so why would I want that haircut in game?

5. Names - This is just a pet peeve of mine. Nothing is more annoying than seeing a really bad name in SWTOR. You know the ones I'm talking about. I try to report them for spam so they get a name change flag. I bet even on RP servers names aren't enforced. I saw a racial name and I've seen some names with sex jokes or refrences in them. Where's the name police.

6. Music - The music is great for the most part. However, I was on Hoth yesterday. There was total silence. I didn't hear one song. Finally I got bored and opened Winamp and put on the actual Hoth song from Empire. I'm that nerdy.

I don't know if you all read this, I hope some of you did. I think the game has great potential. Give it a chance. How long has it been out? Less than a month! 

• xfur24xfur24 Member UncommonPosts: 4

It may sound shallow, but here's something to think about.

Companies that splurge on mega-marketing teams are just insecure about their product. Let's face it, the internet is filled with so many MMO-NEWS kinda websites and user reviews/gameplay videos are easily accessible. Over-hyping usually ends up with the product being very different from what was being marketed. Look at 2011, a year of over-hyping and stuff like that.. it's pretty sad that the MMO industry turned out like this.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

DON'T DO THAT.

Why?  If the game is proving to be mediocre (or maybe worse, who knows?) then that's the fault of the game company and they have to sort it out.  Why should we subsidise EA/Bioware's (or indeed any other company's) mediocrity or make allowances for them?  EA/Bioware KNOW full well what players expect these days and they have had AMPLE time and money to deliver it.

What makes EA/Bioware so special anyway?  If the game fails, so what?  It will say more about EA/Bioware than the players.

• LowFlyingHamLowFlyingHam Member Posts: 98

I equate TOR as the gaming equivalent to a big Hollywood movie that wants to shove itself down everyone's throats, but in reality the movie itself is run of the mill... think The Hangover 2 for instance.  

I'm not going to buy it just because they poured a lot of money into it... that's silly.  That's buying your way to success.  That's not how things should work(unfortunately that's how some things do end up working, but that's a whole other can of worms).  I haven't played TOR and I don't intend to, I just don't like Star Wars, and I think that's a big reason why it won't kill an established WoW.  There's a difference between getting a boatload of WoW players to switch and interest in MMOs dying in general(especially WoW) and TOR beating WoW out that way... I don't count the latter as a kill.  People like their Star Wars... people also hate their Star Wars, it's a double-edged sword when you use a license like that.  Who hates Warcraft?  You might hate the RTS games but that has no bearing on the setting and lore.

Now Playing: Mission Against Terror, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Dark Souls, League of Legends, Minecraft, and the piano. =3

Visit my fail Youtube channel(don't leave me nasty messages!): http://www.youtube.com/user/Mirii471

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

EA/Bioware spent a lot of money on SW:TOR, I'm hearing estimates around $300 million or so, that's the most money a company has ever tossed at the MMO industry.  You WANT them to toss money at us. 

TOR may not be the best game in the market, or any good at all, but it's definitely super expensive, and it's new, and EA gets really mad if they don't get paid. 

*edit for clarity*

This post is beyond belief TBH.

It fails to understand so much :/

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

Originally posted by 17Omega

SWTOR successful? I rather play SWG then this low budget crap, the only high budget it has is VO that's it, all the rest is horrible bugs, glitches and optimization.

Also GW 2, dude i played that game in GC 2010 till 2011 and let me tell you, each time I played the game it became polished after polished after polished to the point where they should release the god damn game. I tried the competitive pvp, fought Tequatl, played as an Asuran "which i must say the animation is awesome". I even talked to Anet staff members and you know what they talk about? freakin games like UO, DAOC and AC it's crazy how they don't talk about marketing or anything related to the word $$, it's all games, artwork and the community. 

The problem I am seeing with players in regard to TOR  are much more basic.

Sandbox players are ready for a new Sandbox game and one isn't available yet. As a new Themepark game is, they are annoyed... Annoyed with having to balance the need to play something new with having to play something they know they won't like.

TOR is good for a themepark fan... It won't be for a sandbox fan.  This has been known from the start, but players still want it to be a Sandbox game.

Evidence: Sandbox players are still buying the game, playing it, and screaming at the top of their lungs about how they don't like it.  

It's self inflicted trauma.

GW2 will be a good Sandbox game. TSW will hopefully be a good game (we'll see how sandbox it is... so many "if's" with this game).

The good news is that good stuff is en route. The bad is that it hasn't arrived yet.