Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you find a bad review for this game ? because I can't

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Hey guys.  I finally got my copy and have been playing for a few days now, and I have to say, I'm not unimpressed.  The graphics are great, the group dialog system is cool, and the fights are intense (lightsabers are just as sweet as you'd think).  It's everything a Star Wars MMO should be.

Unfortunately, I only think it'll be something to tide me over until GW2 comes out.  I admit, I didn't know much about SWTOR, and I'm enjoying it, but I'm already getting the feeling of not having enough to do, or I should say, not having enough to kill.  As I feared, the story segments, while never quite boring, make me feel like the meat of the game is in dialog and not where it should be - action.  Maybe as I get into the higher levels, this will change.

I had to turn the music off.  For one thing, I usually turn music off in MMOs, but it mildly irritates me that a lot of the songs I've heard aren't original.  With GW2, I fully intend to leave the music on when I'm not on vent/skype, but in SWTOR it doesn't really matter.  I saw someone argue that "It's John Williams, nuff said".  I love Williams' music, but I think there should be more offered to the player than remixes of 30+ year old songs.  I feel the opposite about the sounds.  The sound effects of lightsabers and blasters never seem to get old and I don't want them to change.

I like having companions and I find it addictive to see what choices they agree with in dialog sequences, and the droids are adorable just like in the movies.  My jedi looks awesome too, but I feel there may not be enough variety in weapons to keep me interested.  As I suspected, a lot of the weapons' noticeable changes for any level character seem to be their glow color, including autocannons, etc. whose body design changes but not to any degree that you'd say "Wow look at that guy's gun" in a battle.  Maybe WoW spoiled me, but I have to give it to fantasy games, they seem to have more variety at first glance.  I don't think a yellow lightsaber is different or cool enough to make me want to get one when I already have a perfectly fine blue one.  That's a minor issue though I guess.

The voice acting is great so far, and I haven't heard many awkward VO's or goofy dialog, things seem to be typical Bioware quality in terms of presentation, for better or for worse.  

Another thing that troubles me is how astonishingly similar classes are on opposite factions.  Consulars and Inquisitors seem to have the coolest visual differences, but you know by playing past MMO's that the skills are pretty much the same thing, I haven't seen the trooper/bounty hunter differences yet, but I think they get jetpacks which is a little better.

As for bad customization, that's a joke. This game beats WoW by a country mile.  I expected it to be really bad the way some people talked.  Sure you can only pick humanoids at this time, but the graphics are not "like WoW on Ultra", as someone stupidly said here once.  There are more than a few ugly faces to choose from and cardboard looking hair, but if that sort of thing floats your boat, there's always Azeroth.

All in all, it's a good distraction and it minorly adjusts the WoW format, but I don't think I'll ever quite understand the people who say they plan to play this for years.  I don't think I could ever justify sub money for those long stretches between content.  Different strokes 'n all.

I'd give it a 7.5 based on what I've seen so far, which isn't a whole lot. 

Originally posted by sgel

This has been discussed many times.

If you think that so many people being disatisfied with the game are just mindless haters, play the game and try and find all this glorious PvP, amazing aesthetics and 8/10 innovations. Simple as that.

Then you'll understand how ridiculous those scores are for a game like this.

It's a good generic game in the Star Wars Universe.. but it certainly isn't as good as most of those reviews.

I completely agree.  Most of the "professional" reviews are a little high.  This game does not blow me away, but it's fun.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

The game is fine and all reviews are accurate if looking at a short term perspective. I guess the reviews are assuming that the game will get plenty of updates to make it more worthwhile, but Bioware have clearly stated that they have no plans to add full on MMO elements as it does not fit with their stories.

I am having great fun in the game at the moment, but once I have completed all stories then will quit. I can see a definate end of me playing SWTOR. WIth Star Wars Galaxies I was playing that solid from 2003 to when in ended in Dec 16th 2011 at 5am GMT, and despite all that time, I could safely say with 100% guarantee that I would have played it forver, even if there were no more updates, as all the systems and all the players made it worthwhile, not extra content.

If SWTOR makes the crafting more rewarding like SWG, and go find varying quality stat resources to make your crafts and go group hunting with friends to get creature resources, adds Beast Master and you can create your own companions and have mounts and flying mounts, adds player housing / cities, makes space more open like SWG, STO or EVE, adds a story creator so you cn make your opwn stories, like SWGs chronicles system or City of Heroes Architect system or EQ2 Dungeon Maker or STOs mission creator, adds in more vehicles and more multiplayer vehicles, adds in a better collection system, gives the worlds more life, and adds more top level quests and stuff to all areas so you have a reason to go visit the early planets again, and a load more stuff which just does not make SWTOR feel like a MMO like all others.

SWTOR is a game like Mass Effect / Dragon Age / KOTOR but is online and P2P which are all great and play better than SWG but it is all short lived and does not have standard MMO elemnts to keep you involved and playing for years and years to forever.

• GrunchGrunch Member Posts: 493

After playing the game its obvious that most their budget went to marketing. Super Bowl commercials cost a lot thats also why its $60 and nit $50 I bet.

Do you guys think Best Buy would give me back my $60 if I try to return the game? Damn I am so pissed that I was tricked.

"I'm sorry but your mmo has been diagnosed with EA and only has X number of days to live."

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Originally posted by stragen001

Originally posted by gorro187

Gamepro did a video review of it and bashed it to hell. Here's a link to the video. gave it like a 2 out of 10 lol. just answering your question. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVieZI5296I

Stopped watching after "Ive been playing SWTOR for about a week now, i dont know how many hours I've put in probably about 15 or so"

Only 15hrs playtime = Not a valid review. They wont have even got off the starter planets if they played all the content

Games should grab you the moment you start playing them. 15 Hours is enough to get you to at least level 17 -20, maybe higher... so if the game isnt impressing them by that level, that certainly says something about the game to me.

I dont want to have to grind to max level, through boring quests and clunky design features, then get told. "Congrats, you reached max level, now you get to play the -real- game and have fun."

That is just bad design because you wont retain customers and the replayability just isn't there, so how can you hope to get more customers?

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by Kreedz

Games should grab you the moment you start playing them. 15 Hours is enough to get you to at least level 17 -20, maybe higher... so if the game isnt impressing them by that level, that certainly says something about the game to me.

I dont want to have to grind to max level, through boring quests and clunky design features, then get told. "Congrats, you reached max level, now you get to play the -real- game and have fun."

That is just bad design because you wont retain customers and the replayability just isn't there, so how can you hope to get more customers?

Yeah ive seen post after post talking about how the game gets good after level 30. With a level cap of 50 you have to play over half the game before it gets good?

Edit: spelling

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Originally posted by evilastro

Originally posted by oobla

I rarely use this website unless I want to guage what a new games like before buying it . To look at some of the comments here you would think StarWars the Old Republic is a terrible game . So I went searching the web to see if I could find a review thats negative about it . So far every one I've come across sings its praises.

So I would like to challege someone to find a negative review (as long as its from a reasonably legitimate source ie a relativly well known gaming website ,newpaper or magazine website . Not someones blog review or a gaming site that invites people to submit thier own reviews .

I'm sure there must be a few out there  but all in all the reviews I've seen are overwealmingly possative .

Here is one! It is very professional and unbiased - http://sandboxer.org/?p=261

Best review i have read and they basically have everything spot on.

At the end of the day its just your average themepark MMO and nothing really new at all, sure they have a few nice things voice acting is pretty good but not sure how well it would do the second time around... Also the companion thing is done pretty well. Saying that the game works pretty well and no major issues so far.

If people like Themepark games then they will probally like this but its nothing special and thats a big issue for me.

Originally posted by superniceguy

I am having great fun in the game at the moment, but once I have completed all stories then will quit. I can see a definate end of me playing SWTOR. WIth Star Wars Galaxies I was playing that solid from 2003 to when in ended in Dec 16th 2011 at 5am GMT, and despite all that time, I could safely say with 100% guarantee that I would have played it forver, even if there were no more updates, as all the systems and all the players made it worthwhile, not extra content.

Yeah, I think this is my biggest "problem" with the game as opposed to WoW.  Don't get me wrong, I like having a goal in sight for a game, but with WoW I played for years because it was mostly about the people and the fighting.  My friend has gotten his gunslinger almost to level 50 already and on his Jedi guardian, he's seen both his story scenes and mine since we're playing those characters together.  That eliminates a good chunk of content and once you've gone through a set of dialog for 100 hours or more with very little deviation to be had if you play through again, well.. who's going to want to sit through it again other than to say "I TOLD YOU SO, 9.99999999 in Super Duper Gamer's Magazine, they were right, I can't stop playing".

At least SWTOR has a horizon.  It's here to tell a story and that's admirable, but I strongly doubt it will have the shelf life of more meaty MMOs.

• izmacizmac Member Posts: 3

nice game!

Originally posted by Rusty715

Yeah ive seen post after post talking about how the game gets good after level 30. With a level cap of 50 you have to play over half the game before it gets good?

Edit: spelling

I'm enjoying it well before 30, but that's just me.  What gets my goat more is when people say you should have dozens of hours in an MMO before reviewing it.  It goes both ways, since my review might get lower the more I have to sit through a game just to get to the point where I feel people aren't going to blow up if I give it a score based on my opinion.  After even 10 hours, you can accurately tell how well a game is put together, that's why I gave it a 7.5.  If I play it more and see that it gets boring fast, then my score can only go down.  It's far less likely that something is going to blow me away or a new mechanic is going to come along at level 40 that raises it to a 9.  I know what I'm playing, I've been doing this since I was a kid.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

I rarely use this website unless I want to guage what a new games like before buying it . To look at some of the comments here you would think StarWars the Old Republic is a terrible game . So I went searching the web to see if I could find a review thats negative about it . So far every one I've come across sings its praises.

So I would like to challege someone to find a negative review (as long as its from a reasonably legitimate source ie a relativly well known gaming website ,newpaper or magazine website . Not someones blog review or a gaming site that invites people to submit thier own reviews .

I'm sure there must be a few out there  but all in all the reviews I've seen are overwealmingly possative .

Legitimate source?  Actually a consensus of user reviews is more legitimate than any "legitimate" source that you refer to.  DA2 was the ultimate example of the gaping chasm between a general user opinion and the "professional reviewers" - which showed the flaw of trusting professional critics.  This game is very similar - and it has way more to do with behind the scenes stuff than the quality of the game - which many people in the game magazine / website industry will attest to.

But who cares, just play it yourself and find out.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

[mod edit]

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Look! Someone who still believes professional paid media is a legitimate information source! Quick, take a photo before his kind goes extinct!

You still believe [mod edit] that Dragon Age 2 is worth 82?

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

I'm not sure you people who keep asking where the bad reviews are get the idea or the reason why their are haters for this game. If you don't then let me spell it out for you.

No one ever said the game would be bad, everyone said "The game won't be different." Simple as that, if you can disprove that statement then I'm all ears but till then stop spamming the forum with "where is the bad review bichas??!!!" because our bets weren't on that.

This is not a game.

[mod edit]

• ooblaoobla Member Posts: 87

Still no bad reviews linked I see apart from a questionable youtube link and a review on a site by someone whos an obviously biased and disgruntled former StarWars Galaxies fan .

[mod edit]

Why?  Pro reviews are just as subjective as some guy down the street.  It shouldn't be annoying for anyone.  Personally, I don't trust the so-called pros anymore.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Originally posted by stragen001

Originally posted by gorro187

Gamepro did a video review of it and bashed it to hell. Here's a link to the video. gave it like a 2 out of 10 lol. just answering your question. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVieZI5296I

Stopped watching after "Ive been playing SWTOR for about a week now, i dont know how many hours I've put in probably about 15 or so"

Only 15hrs playtime = Not a valid review. They wont have even got off the starter planets if they played all the content

That's the most stupid thing I have ever heard, if you dont have fun for the first 15-20 hours you wont have fun for th rest of the game.

How many really watch a movie even if its the worst pos you have ever seen just incase the ending is any good?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• SyrithSyrith Member UncommonPosts: 18

Originally posted by evilastro

Here is one! It is very professional and unbiased - http://sandboxer.org/?p=261

Comes close but no cigar I'm afraid . This looks more like fan reaction .

Having read it, I'd tend to agree (and I personally don't consider ToR to be anything beyond average).  The sheer volume of spelling errors alone makes it look like a fan reaction and non-professional review.

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

If a mod is going to go through and edit posts with opinions or discussion on broader terms on a topic like this, why not just delete the whole thread and label it as inciteful.

Kind of strange what they decide to censor on this site sometimes...

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by Kreedz

If a mod is going to go through and edit posts with opinions or discussion on broader terms on a topic like this, why not just delete the whole thread and label it as inciteful.

Kind of strange what they decide to censor on this site sometimes...

We removed off-topic comments pertaining to Guild Wars 2. If you want to discuss Guild Wars 2 please do it in the appropriate forum(s). Thanks!

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by Omni1rbb

Originally posted by chilliz

I couldnt find a bad review of WAR, Aoc, aion, Rift, etc etc............................then the shite hit the fan.

Ummmmmm no the shite never hit the fan.  All of those games you mentioned above are highly successful, with the execption being WAR (which was extremely successful for a time).

I'm sick of idiots and their doom and gloom mentality claiming everything to be a failure.  

I totally agree . What is it with people on the forums on this website . I've never seen so much hate for the genre . If people come on here to guage what a games like all you'll see people trying to destroy one game or another . I cant understand that mentality if you don't like mmos why play them ? I wonder why games companys invest in advertising here knowing thier product will be ripped apart . It could only take a few developers to remove thier advertising revenue and this whole site could come down like a house of cards .

I think thats where its heading sooner or later .

Its easy to call people an "idiot" just because they reach a point where they want for a new product to offer more and better than an old product...

...and you feel sad for game developers because they what invest on what and their product will be what apart??

Maybe consumers like yourself, that eats anything they put in front of you, are really the cornerstone of this economy, because of you no company feels the need to go up a notch on their efforts to launch a better product, why would they? Why spend more than they should crafting something better when they just can throw the same old stuff in there, pump up the graphics, add some salt and pepper and you will eat it just the same...hey, maybe the game eventually breaks down and servers will close, but they already have bags full of money on your account...and guess what? Rinse and repeat and couple of months later they do it all over again...and you buy it, play it and be happy and call other people that complain about the game an "idiot"...

Maybe you should be taking a good look at things before you post "blind" sentences.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by Clerigo

Originally posted by Omni1rbb

Originally posted by chilliz

I couldnt find a bad review of WAR, Aoc, aion, Rift, etc etc............................then the shite hit the fan.

Ummmmmm no the shite never hit the fan.  All of those games you mentioned above are highly successful, with the execption being WAR (which was extremely successful for a time).

I'm sick of idiots and their doom and gloom mentality claiming everything to be a failure.  

I totally agree . What is it with people on the forums on this website . I've never seen so much hate for the genre . If people come on here to guage what a games like all you'll see people trying to destroy one game or another . I cant understand that mentality if you don't like mmos why play them ? I wonder why games companys invest in advertising here knowing thier product will be ripped apart . It could only take a few developers to remove thier advertising revenue and this whole site could come down like a house of cards .

I think thats where its heading sooner or later .

Its easy to call people an "idiot" just because they reach a point where they want for a new product to offer more and better than an old product...

...and you feel sad for game developers because they what invest on what and their product will be what apart??

Maybe consumers like yourself, that eats anything they put in front of you, are really the cornerstone of this economy, because of you no company feels the need to go up a notch on their efforts to launch a better product, why would they? Why spend more than they should crafting something better when they just can throw the same old stuff in there, pump up the graphics, add some salt and pepper and you will eat it just the same...hey, maybe the game eventually breaks down and servers will close, but they already have bags full of money on your account...and guess what? Rinse and repeat and couple of months later they do it all over again...and you buy it, play it and be happy and call other people that complain about the game an "idiot"...

Maybe you should be taking a good look at things before you post "blind" sentences.

And there are people like you who somehow think they are more intelligent because they don't like something others like.  As an IT person I can tell you why expecting more and more for each game is silly....

Scope creep.

Now you might be like well they should do something totally different instead of copying an old design so they don't have to add a laundry list of business requirements (or gamer requirements)...

I'd agree with you there, but we as a community would even be harsher on them.  Right now we expect everything WoW has and about 50% more for the game to be "worthy" and I don't think that's realistic.

• Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194

It's because most of this sites members are WoW haters and SWTOR fanbois, they delete any thread if they think its too negative and ban the people who make the posts.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by Mondo80

It's because most of this sites members are WoW haters and SWTOR fanbois, they delete any thread if they think its too negative and ban the people who make the posts.

Well when people post silly stuff that's either BS or obvious trolling then yeah it'll get removed.

"This game is garbage" is not a thread.  You also have people pretending to be objective yet are obviously biased.  "I hate all themepark mmos I give this mmo a 1/10"  is getting silly.

Yet people do it.