Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - Mass info for the uninitiated

Comments

• HellSingsHellSings Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Tshober

Lots of info!  Thanks!

In reading about the races in GW2, there was no mention of any specific racial attributes beyond appearance.  What advantages/disadvantages do each race have?  How does race affect your character's abilities?  Or is race just an elaborate cosmetic effect in GW2?

Each race has a unique story, aside from that there are no real benefits. Unless you mean this:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Racial_skill

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Czanrei

I didn't see housing or even guild housing listed, bummer. Without that or even a decent appearance tab(dye is a weak choice). Not to mention nothing was said about hobbies like fishing or any kind of fluff content for RP'rs. GW2 looks like it will turn out to be just another eye-candy mmo with no immersion.  Dissapointing to say the least.

- Guild Halls were planned like in GW1 but will come as a game update since they can't make it in the release

A guild can still gather points for research so they can build a workshop, guild banners, guild capes and tons of other things

- Next to your personal instance due to your own character story, there will be personal housing aswell but it will also come with an update after the release

- Mini games will be in the game but not all of them if any will make it in the release so expect another update.

One of the most known mini games will be a Bar Brawl in which you can even punch out a tooth out of your opponent, pick it up and sell it to a dentist for gold. :p

There is also a arena in one of the human places in which pets are shown in there (like pets battle on which you can bet and win money or something).

Eye of the north had many great mini games so expect Guild Wars 2 to have as many and more for sure.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by thekid1
    Originally posted by Czanrei

I didn't see housing or even guild housing listed, bummer. Without that or even a decent appearance tab(dye is a weak choice). Not to mention nothing was said about hobbies like fishing or any kind of fluff content for RP'rs. GW2 looks like it will turn out to be just another eye-candy mmo with no immersion.  Dissapointing to say the least.

No housing and fishing :(

I like to fish and then hang the biggest ones in the house.

Or catch rare fish and sell them.

Or hunt for cool furniture for the house.

Just random stuff to do if I don't feel like questing or combat.

- Housing was already confirmed but it won't make it in the release so we will have to wait for an update after release to get it.

- I'm quite sure that fishing will be implemented as mini game because of the following indications I saw in the game:

1) Cooking is available (crafting)

2) Many passive fishes are to be seen underwater which could be used for that purpose

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

Wow! very detailed, good job :P

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• BravixBravix Member Posts: 8

Everything I needed to know, thanks!

• nycdannycdan Member UncommonPosts: 12

In the history of posts on gaming websites, this gets my vote for the best ever.  Loaded with information, with absolutely no agenda.  I was debating how quickly to jump into this game (still playing Rift a bit and recently checking out TSW) but this post sealed the deal for me and made me eager to get into GW2.

Big props to the OP.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Originally posted by Deleted User

This thread delivers what the title says! I'm loving SWTOR now but when GW2 comes out I'll probably say, "SWTOR who?" I'll bust out my new avatar also :P - I kid ... I'll be playing both since GW2 won't require a sub fee.

Nothing more to say than to echo this guys thoughts.

Amazing thread, thank you for all the hard work.

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

wow that's a long post XD

• kartanakartana Member UncommonPosts: 148

Ok, quick question:

Does the pre-purchase key convert to the retail key or do we get a separate retail key (like swtor etc)?

• CorrineCorrine Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Originally posted by kartana

Ok, quick question:

Does the pre-purchase key convert to the retail key or do we get a separate retail key (like swtor etc)?

I'm having a hard time trying to get what your asking so I'm taking a shot in the dark.

Your pre-purchase key is your final and only key, it means you already bought the game and there's nothing more that you have to do.

I just asked because you got two keys if you ordered Swtor (beta and retail). (yeah I know that Swtor was pre-order and not pre-purchase). Thanks for clearing that up.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Very refreashing to see that the OP has written what he sees and what's out and about. Be nice if we had more people sharing this type of information so give your self a pat on the back man!!! A job well done and worthy of a +1

Bandit

Asbo

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

You Did a fine job here man. I was sold last beta. were i learned allot of what you posted is just playing. of course you have much more here then i had a chance to try and will find it out by playing when it's released.

Well Done.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

I've been on the fence about this one for a while.  I hate buying into hype, but there are so many things appealing to me on how this game is made.  I'm drinking the koolaid.

Buying tonight.

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504
    Originally posted by NomadMorlock

I've been on the fence about this one for a while.  I hate buying into hype, but there are so many things appealing to me on how this game is made.  I'm drinking the koolaid.

Buying tonight.

Don't buy nothing because there is too much hype or lack of it. Go to YouTube there are more than enough GW2 videos, read some info and decide for yourself if the game is worth or not.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Wow! This is a great post! Thank you so much for doing this.

So now aside from building a new rig for this game, I have this to read until the 25th!

• MrlogicMrlogic Member Posts: 178
    Thank you Chelmo! You are awesome!:)
  • NateEssexNateEssex Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Awesome guide!!  Is all of the info current? This game looks incredible!

Current: GW2 (almost)
    Played: EQ, DAoC,EQOA,Shadowbane,WoW, WAR, SWTOR, TSW

• megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by NateEssex
    Awesome guide!!  Is all of the info current? This game looks incredible!

No, it hasn't been updated in quite a while. This is the original thread that the OP keeps updating.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1058358-Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated.-READ-ME

• itssantositssantos Member UncommonPosts: 84
    So now that this thread is out. Can we ban users that start threads of *Why should I play GW2 type threads* as they are now 100% troll or lazy.
  • Leviathon77Leviathon77 Member UncommonPosts: 42
    I've been sitting on the fence whether or not to pick this game up after a couple disappointments this year. Your article can certainly do well to assist anyone in making an informed decision as well as lead them onto a well-informed path once they log into the game world. Thank you!!

Originally posted by ZekeAsukura
    Originally posted by kartana

Ok, quick question:

I'm having a hard time trying to get what your asking so I'm taking a shot in the dark.

Your pre-purchase key is your final and only key, it means you already bought the game and there's nothing more that you have to do.

They just posted on Twitter that people who pre-purchased and pre-ordered need to pick up the retail key to continue playing after 2/5 days. I thought the pre-purchase key converts to a retail key?

Edit: I see that's just for the physical copy...

• zephyrszephyrs Member UncommonPosts: 27

Am I going to be able to fully experience this game in my free time, or is there content that's going to force me to coordinate my play time with a guild of some sort?

I'd like to avoid the whole WoW raiding experience where I had to show on specific days at specific times just to raid. I want to play when I have time to play and feel like playing, yet still be able to enjoy the game fully.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Maggon
    Originally posted by KonyakZero
    Originally posted by thekid1

First of all, thank you op and a very nice job you did.

In the video on of the designers (the woman) speaks about how a single player can change the world and then they show footage about a big bridge being blown.

I assume she was a bit overselling the point and she was actually referring to dynamic events?

So the changes made in the world are not permanent but only a few weeks or months.

No, she was talking about single player instances.

She was indeed refering to dynamic events as these things can and will happen.

/chuckles

Love this old thread. Thanks for bumping it so that i can read again all the BS fans used to say before release.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Well... pre-ordered the CE edition was in day 1 and I'm still impressed with how deep is the game.

Reding the OP article put a big picture on that, great job.