Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - Mass info for the uninitiated

Comments

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

In Structured PVP you're a full level 80 with everything unlocked the moment you port to the PVP area.

In World PVP you automatically get sidekicked up but there is a gradation.  A level 20 sidekicked up is weaker than a level 40 who is weaker than a true level 80.  You gain levels in World PVP and enemies you kill drop loot like they were PVE NPCs.  You can level to 80 completely in World PVP without ever setting foot in the PVE world.

In PVE you can manually sidekick up to another player but it doesn't happen automatically. 

Sidekicking down in level (aka mentoring) does happen automatically.  If you go do a level 5 DE, you'll be the equivalent of a level 8.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Originally posted by dlld

Originally posted by Serelisk

There's no gear progression. At any level, there's a low barrier to entry for obtaining the highest-grade armor for that particular level... including maximum. 

So there would be a power difference in pve between a lvl 2 bumped to 80 and a 80 that passed the 80 gear barrier?

Yes, because the level 80 would have access to the traits and skills of his level. "Power" in Guild Wars 2 is defined by all the details that go into your character build, not just improved statistical value of items, which happens when a player is sidekicked. So when a person is level 80, and they're speccing out their Guardian to play with heavy CC's, they're going to be collecting traits and selecting from the skill-pool for things that will enhance their capability of that build, which a lower level character can not do. Likewise, they'll be adding enhancements to their gear that add to their functionality in that build as well. So their performance in combat will be inherently better based on the circumstances of that character being able to equip himself with all the accoutrements that become available at his level of play.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

The first joke I'm going to say after tutorial is "LFG need a healer!!!!!" .... "Ahhh just fucking with you!"

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by RizelStar
    The first joke I'm going to say after tutorial is "LFG need a healer!!!!!" .... "Ahhh just fucking with you!"

HA, going to love the backlash.

BOOYAKA!

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249

Really REALLY nice job with this man. I've followed the game for a long time and I still found some new bits of information in this giant thing. I really hope anyone who has a interest in this game reads this. If this doesn't get you excited, then gaming is dead to you.

• wrathzillawrathzilla Member UncommonPosts: 76

There's no gear progression. At any level, there's a low barrier to entry for obtaining the highest-grade armor for that particular level... including maximum. 

So there would be a power difference in pve between a lvl 2 bumped to 80 and a 80 that passed the 80 gear barrier?

In gear? No.

Sometimes people  forget that as a level 2, you wont have access to all the abilities and traits that a level 80 would have.

Example: Warriors get 2 handed swords at level 15. If you only did PvE and went into a level 15 zone as a level 2, you wouldn't have access to all your utility skills (i think they get unlocked every 5-10 levels and you start with 1), all your weapons, and all your traits, even though stat & gear wise you were identical.

I mean, there had to be SOME incentive for hitting the level cap, right?

[EDIT] Also:

Originally posted by someone on the last page... ;P:

In Structured PVP you're a full level 80 with everything unlocked the moment you port to the PVP area.

In World PVP you automatically get sidekicked up but there is a gradation.  A level 20 sidekicked up is weaker than a level 40 who is weaker than a true level 80.  You gain levels in World PVP and enemies you kill drop loot like they were PVE NPCs.  You can level to 80 completely in World PVP without ever setting foot in the PVE world.

In PVE you can manually sidekick up to another player but it doesn't happen automatically. 

Sidekicking down in level (aka mentoring) does happen automatically.  If you go do a level 5 DE, you'll be the equivalent of a level 8.

This is still a little misleading, the power differences is because of traits and you utility skill unlocks. Also, in competitive PvP, all your weapons are unlocked, but not all your utilities/traits/elites etc etc.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• wrathzillawrathzilla Member UncommonPosts: 76

^^ Lol

• KhorsKhors Member Posts: 147

This is great information, Chel, and thanks for shariing.

Everyone should be scratching their heads as to how ANet can privide so much more PvE and PvP entertaining massively-multiplayer mmorpg content, which they will, compared to most falsely advertised subscrption-based mmorpgs, but as a buy-to-play model.

For those that are familiar with ANet, already know the answer.  But many more with this information are hopefully more inclined to begin questioning and researching it.

A great game commith.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Originally posted by wrathzilla

In gear? No.

Sometimes people  forget that as a level 2, you wont have access to all the abilities and traits that a level 80 would have.

Example: Warriors get 2 handed swords at level 15. If you only did PvE and went into a level 15 zone as a level 2, you wouldn't have access to all your utility skills (i think they get unlocked every 5-10 levels and you start with 1), all your weapons, and all your traits, even though stat & gear wise you were identical.

I mean, there had to be SOME incentive for hitting the level cap, right?

[EDIT] Also:

Originally posted by someone on the last page... ;P:

This is still a little misleading, the power differences is because of traits and you utility skill unlocks. Also, in competitive PvP, all your weapons are unlocked, but not all your utilities/traits/elites etc etc.

Actually, that's incorrect. Absolutely everything is unlocked for every player in structured PvP, including traits, utility skills, armor, armor components, weapons, weapon components and all elite skills for that person's profession. They're not holding anything from the player.

• OP. thanks for this! lol. this is an amazing thread. very very nice job.

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101
    Awesome thread!

/sealofapproval

Looking forward to see this develop, and hopefully snag a sticky.

• ChelmoChelmo Member CommonPosts: 17

Originally posted by nblitz

The link right under Character Creation has a malformed URL.

http:// http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EAaQp_3PVk&hd=1

Will fix that now, thanks.

• ChelmoChelmo Member CommonPosts: 17

My posts are still marked as spam if I try to edit them. :-(

• ushtvaushtva Member Posts: 7

Brilliant work OP, i take off my top hat to you.One question , is it true that we they will be adding new dynamic events to all the zones,including the starter ones,after the initial release?Also did they menton somthing about adding new weapons ie for future expansions or large patch contents? Thanks and keep up the good work :D

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

The Holy Trinity – Dead. Gone. And good riddance. There are no defined class roles in GW2. It’s not fun to hope that one person logs in so that you can actually play a game. You can generally take any combination of professions that you wish into content and succeed in the same time-frame as any other as long as you communicate.

Ah, yeah... communicate.

In Lord of the Rings Online the trinity is Guardian, Minstrel and Hunter... except that groups at launch USED to be 6, so what do you fill the rest with?

It had the captain, who has a debuff that makes any damage to a enemy heal the damage dealer instead. Don't get it? Okay, DPS heal thy self. It is a powerful feature combined with other captain skills it cannot quite replace a healing class BUT if players work together and have maybe an off healing class like a lore-master and adjust their tactics a bit...

And yet, for content that doesn't need it, you can see countless players insisting on the holy trinity.

Same with SWTOR, the Black Talon/Esseles first instance/flashpoint is so easy any class combo can run it. Again, if I had a penny of every wow kiddie who insisted on healer and a tank and two dps... it even was so bad at one point that a lvl 40 was in the group to get social points and a kiddie demanded we find a healer instead or we would all die...

Any MMO design got to remember that in a single player game any players inaction, stupidy and malice only affect himself. In a MMO game, they affect everyone else.

And here is ONE important feature missing so far... in game voice chat. Lotro has it and is so far the only one I know off. 

It will be VERY intresting to see if GW2 can pull it off. Not technically, other games have already done it, but getting the average WoW-kiddie, or worse GW-kiddie (a game with an even less mature player base) to let go off their notions of how a game should be played.

So far, in SWTOR a "new" tactic "small fry dies first" is throwing a lot players who just run to DPS on the boss and let the small fry kill everyone off. If that is already to complex to adjust too, imagine how they will deal with GW2, no healer to blame change of strategy.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Chelmo

My posts are still marked as spam if I try to edit them. :-(

Okay,sorry to be the spoil sport but if you are going to copy someone hard work at least give a shout out to the person who took the time to do it.

This info is from a GUILD called The Underground and a member called Badtothebones..

http://tu.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=19665&ForumID=219188&TabID=178431&TopicID=9852805&Page=3

Unless you are Badtothebones then please don't take credit for work you have not done.

Yes it loads of info and it's great info for the people who think GW2 being BTP will be lacking compared to a PTP mmo.

I linked this info the other day and copied a bit of it but i gave a shout out to Badtothebones for putting such a vast host of GW2 info together.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4661183#4661183

• AzariaAzaria Member Posts: 318

THANK YOU poster this confirms every positive feeling I have had about the game, indeed they ARE doing the cities with joinable events just like in the Fable RPG but they are greatly greatly elaborating on it, everything I hoped for, I will play it for that alone.

Also this needs to be stickied.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

This a disgrace! Why is this topic not a sticky yet? :D I think it definitely deserves to be a sticky! Well done OP. A very indepth preview of what's already out there. So now we can link uninitiated posters who ask the same questions over and over again to this thread :)

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by Azaria

THANK YOU poster this confirms every positive feeling I have had about the game, indeed they ARE doing the cities with joinable events just like in the Fable RPG but they are greatly greatly elaborating on it, everything I hoped for, I will play it for that alone.

Also this needs to be stickied.

This is a great city Vid  to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqwbS4sMgoY

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392

Originally posted by Sylvarii

Okay,sorry to be the spoil sport but if you are going to copy someone hard work at least give a shout out to the person who took the time to do it.

He already stated that the work is all his:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4670829

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Hello. Sticky s'il vous pla
  • aithieelaithieel Member Posts: 232

Extremely good work! Thanks for all these info. Sticky is obvious choice for this thread :)

• IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256

This is so crazy. Everytime I read something about this game it just makes me feel like there's no way they can pull it all off. So many branching dynamic events, a crapload of different personal storylines, epic-scale PvP, beautiful environments, 32 different dungeon runs. It almost seems like a lie, it's just too good to be true at some points. I heard an interview of them having more than 1500 dynamic events. I'm not sure if that's before or after branching, but that's insane. There are triple A MMOs that have 95% kill 10 wolves quests and they don't even have 1500 of those at launch.

I'm actually more excited about post-launch support at this point. Assuming they can pull all of this off, and it's Arenanet so most will probably be Ok, it means they'll be able to pump out content rather fast. The most exciting thing in RIFT was that the developers were able to create content extremely fast. If you look at Guild Wars, they have made so much in such a relatively low amount of development time, that I'm just excited to see where they take it.

Now if only it would ever come out before the world ends.

This game will likely end up one of two ways for me. Either it's going to be the best MMO I've ever played and I'll be playing this until something revolutionary comes out, or it'll be another disappointment and I'll pretty much give up on MMOs. Don't think there's a middleground here for me.

Originally posted by Deolus

Originally posted by Sylvarii

He already stated that the work is all his:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4670829

Edited.