Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UPDATED: Now 39 positive reviews so far, Bioware did something right!

keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

So far in just a couple of weeks, there have been 39 posiitive reviews (1 mixed) including MMORPGs score of 87. I know, they were all paid by EA, right? Maybe it really is a good game? Now I'm sure there will be a couple of attention whore outlets that feel a need to post a 4 to get attention and drag the score down, but this pretty significant sample of reviews IMO is a sign of a successful well polished product. You don't have to like it, but can some of you (you know who you are) at least acknowledge that maybe to the 'majority' it isn't as bad as you think it is? Why would that be so hard to admit?

Now I don't have as much free time as others. I can only play a couple of hours a night. I am only level 24 (Sentinel) and level 14 (Sage), but Ive done a little bit of everything so far. I've done some crafting, 3 Space Battles, 3 PVP scenarios, 2 Flashpoints, a lot of PVE, some datacron hunting, some exploring, some social kidding around stuff with those around me, etc and all I can say is that Im enjoying it just as much as when I tried WOW for the first time. 

Now I will admit I sometimes hit the space bar, I HATE the UI, I agree with Elikal regarding the Day and Night cycles, there are some things that drag it down, but I have no doubt that a lot of these somewhat minor things will be improved on over time and I am not exaggerating when I say this is the most polished MMO I have ever played at release..and our guild of 50+ concurrent players (at most times) would tend to agree. 

There Is Always Hope!

Comments

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

No it cant be a good game it just CANT be, it cant., I mean I dont like it how can it be good?  Why is it getting good reviews why WHY?

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Originally posted by snapfusion

No it cant be a good game it just CANT be, it cant., I mean I dont like it how can it be good?  Why is it getting good reviews why WHY?

LOL that gave me a chuckle as I run off to the gym :-)

There Is Always Hope!

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

And when this game is around 150k - 300k subs, where will all that praise be then?

• Originally posted by Teala

And when this game is around 150k - 300k subs, where will all that praise be then?

I'm LoLing as I wait for swtor to finish patching because I know most with your opinion are STILL waiting for their perfect game.

Originally posted by Teala

That hasn't happened, unless you are psychic? Then again, a lot of people thought the world would end in 2000, then 2006, then 2012...get my point? ..and for the record, subs aren't a sign of a bad game. Sometimes it just means there are a lot more to choose from then there were in 2004.

There Is Always Hope!

• GuileplayerGuileplayer Member Posts: 418

Where can i buy your crystal ball? please give me the address.

Currently Playing: SSFIV AE, SFxTekken, SWTOR, WoW. Waiting for: GW2, Resident Evil 6.

• teakbois2teakbois2 Member Posts: 21

Question:  do you really think this game will drop that low (in the next year or two)?

I just dont see it happening.  I dont see 2 million subs happening either.

• TJixleeTJixlee Member Posts: 159

Originally posted by Guileplayer

i agree i want to be able to tell the future! i'm sure that wont be the only negative comment in this thread lmao more are to come. but honestly to the OP your completely correct. and when BW start to do some MAJOR updates such as UI, cost of training, etc, etc this game will be just like WoW after a year BS but it will take maybe 2-3 months for everything to be at a good state.

BTW I FREAKIN LOVE THE GAME!!!!!!! ....... and i'm only lvl 29..lol

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Where will the praise be then? At a level higher than any POS MMO sandbox game. That is where it is, and will continue to be.

Thanks for playing.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

Originally posted by TJixlee

i agree i want to be able to tell the future! i'm sure that wont be the only negative comment in this thread lmao more are to come. but honestly to the OP your completely correct. and when BW start to do some MAJOR updates such as UI, cost of training, etc, etc this game will be just like WoW after a year BS but it will take maybe 2-3 months for everything to be at a good state.

BTW I FREAKIN LOVE THE GAME!!!!!!! ....... and i'm only lvl 29..lol

I think the UI part alone will satisfy a lot of the masses. :-)

There Is Always Hope!

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279

The praise will still be there just from fewer people.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

You do realize sites get paid to give good reviews basically and have incentive to give posative spin on games, often times inflating their opinion to make it look better? Not only are you making money from the publishers, but your also potentially adding to yourself extra 'publicity' by having a quote you use potentially being mentioned by the publisher. 

Postative =/= good all the time. I could make a statue out of mud and you could call it 'good' (posative) but it won't be anywhere near as good as the same type of statue made of solid gold.

Originally posted by Dranny

The praise will still be there just from fewer people.

lol, why is it that my guild keeps growing and now is at like 460+ toons. It continues to get so big that another guild is in the works to support all those that still want to join.

There Is Always Hope!

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Originally posted by keithian

So far in just a couple of weeks, there have been 21 positive reviews on Metacritic (80+) not including the MMORPG.com review of 87. I know, they were all paid by EA, right? Maybe it really is a good game?

Yeah, like this review on metacritic:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/dec/23/star-wars-old-republic-game-review

Where apparantly ".. you can distract yourself with mini games like speed racing for credits..", and, ".. once you earn the credits and experience to buy your own ship, massive multiplayer skirmishes in deep space beckon.".

Hmm, yeah. I totally believe the reviews are honest and all made through personal gameplay. I obviously missed the part of the UI where I could invite my friends in for some massive multiplayer space skirmishes.

Originally posted by UsualSuspect

So far in just a couple of weeks, there have been 21 positive reviews on Metacritic (80+) not including the MMORPG.com review of 87. I know, they were all paid by EA, right? Maybe it really is a good game?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/dec/23/star-wars-old-republic-game-review

Where apparantly ".. you can distract yourself with mini games like speed racing for credits..", and, ".. once you earn the credits and experience to buy your own ship, massive multiplayer skirmishes in deep space beckon.".

Hmm, yeah. I totally believe the reviews are honest and all made through personal gameplay. I obviously missed the part of the UI where I could invite my friends in for some massive multiplayer space skirmishes.

OK you picked a line or two from a review and somehow that discredits all 22 reviews? No logic in your post. Should I copy and paste the other thousands of lines to show what is accurate? 

There Is Always Hope!

• Zeal77Zeal77 Member Posts: 158

It's a great game. I love it and will be playing for many years.

• melton80melton80 Member Posts: 54

Originally posted by UsualSuspect

OK you picked a line or two from a review and somehow that discredits all 22 reviews? No logic in your post. Should I copy and paste the other thousands of lines to show what is accurate? 

It in fact does discredit your title cause you said ALL and even 1 bad line takes away that word from your title. Not to mention you must not have done your research very well, cause i have found more then a couple lines of bad reviews, i suggest everyone do their own research cause the OP is obviously a fanboy.

Originally posted by Moaky07

Originally posted by Purutzil

You do realize sites get paid to give good reviews basically and have incentive to give posative spin on games, often times inflating their opinion to make it look better? Not only are you making money from the publishers, but your also potentially adding to yourself extra 'publicity' by having a quote you use potentially being mentioned by the publisher. 

Postative =/= good all the time. I could make a statue out of mud and you could call it 'good' (posative) but it won't be anywhere near as good as the same type of statue made of solid gold.

You are exactly right. Some folks on MMORPG enjoyed SWG, yet the rest of the world saw it as a POS....including the reviewers. I mean how could a small amount of folks be wrong about something, and the far majority be right? What a Bizzaro World thought.

Give it a rest.

There is a small core of sandbox fans, on this site, that post constantly about how much they dislike the game. Then you get the random GW2/whatever fan, that piles on as well. This site is NOT in touch with what folks enjoy, cause for your average gamer to talk about they enjoy gaming wise, they have to put up with the childish BS that is allowed to continue on this site.

If MMORPG.com were to follow thru on their TOS, and ban the idiots that are intent on continually bashing this game(or any other for that matter), this place would be a much friendlier place to post. Instead, it has always been open season on themepark gaming, and will continue to be so until they either enforce their rules, or sell it to someone that will.

I totally agree with you, but its not going to happen. Instead they ban us for calling out those with a forum history that have an obvious intention of not discussing, but a motive to do the game harm for whatever twisted reason. Then we we do what they say they will do themselves (Mike B stated this in Elikals post that is locked from late December), its we are baiting or retaliating. I remember when I joined back in 2006 and have 1100+ posts, I loved coming here to discuss the pros and cons of the game, learn new information, discuss things I didn't understand, but now its just become open world PVP with no one doing anything about it. I used to tell people about what a great source it is, but for the first time I think I'm going to delete my account. It just isn't fun coming here anymore to learn about anything or want to help those who want answers from those following the game..which is a shame because I love the articles themselves. 

There Is Always Hope!

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

8/10 for Innovation... heheh... sure.. give me more positive reviews.. ... please..

..Cake..

Originally posted by sgel

8/10 for Innovation... heheh... sure.. give me more positive reviews.. ... please..

Dont see whats funny. The companion system, crafting system, voice overs for an entire MMO, are innovative. Having quests that people just dont see a wall of text and hit accept and role play instead is innovative..because no MMO has done that across an entire game. The only thing close was AOC tortage and that was 20 levels that lasted a couple of days which didn't have choices like we have in SWTOR.

There Is Always Hope!

• GuileplayerGuileplayer Member Posts: 418

It would be funny as hell if GW2 gets bad reviews lol. Something tells me it will haha. Watch it get like a 5/10 or 6/10. That would be really funny.

Currently Playing: SSFIV AE, SFxTekken, SWTOR, WoW. Waiting for: GW2, Resident Evil 6.

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

I dont care what people think am having fun and think Swtor is pretty awesome , go go Trooper !

Originally posted by sgel

Dont see whats funny. The companion system, crafting system, voice overs for an entire MMO, are innovative. Having quests that people just dont see a wall of text and hit accept and role play instead is innovative..because no MMO has done that across an entire game. The only thing close was AOC tortage and that was 20 levels that lasted a couple of days which didn't have choices like we have in SWTOR.

Companion system is not new. Crafting system.. erm.. what about it ?... Voice Overs sure.... that's bringing a single-player story telling system into an MMO.. it's not new.. they just used it in the entire game... does that deserve EIGHT OUT OF TEN?!

..Cake..

It would be funny as hell if GW2 gets bad reviews lol. Something tells me it will haha. Watch it get like a 5/10 or 6/10. That would be really funny.

Thats the difference between me and those who hover around these forums hating on TOR. Though I am a fan of STWOR, I'm hoping GW2 is a great game because I think the more choices we have the better. It wouldn't suprise me though if that happens since the same thing here happened with games like Aion which was the second coming. Not anymore. 

There Is Always Hope!

Nice to see you can laugh with your own jokes.... it was pretty funny. But considering mmorpg gave SWTOR 8.7... then the demo of GW2 we saw at PAX should get more  :P

..Cake..