Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Should never be released

Comments

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by Lobotomist
    I said it many times before : Most MMOs are victims of its own long development time.
     - By When development starts - MMO features are out of this world
     - By time they announce they are working on it - MMO features are revolutionary
     - By time they enter last 6 month of dev - MMO features are allready present in 1-2 games just released
     - By time MMO is released - everyone is sick of those features allready and wants something new

Last year GW2 seemed like amazing super revolutionary MMO. Now its allready ey-ok "but Archeage will be the bomb"

Same went with SWTOR, if they released it last year - none of this hate and failure would happen. They just waited too long.

My hope Anet will not make same mistake, and april release is well : 1 minute to last train...

This doesn't make any sense. ArcheAge is doing things completely differently than GW2. What does it possibly have to offer a fan of GW2 other than the chance to play something, anything, that is a new MMO?

Similarly, what does SWTOR have to offer someone drawn to GW2 for the dynamic events, holy trinity changes, level sidekicking, active combat, etc?

Seriously, if people are only playing MMOs because "omgnew!!!" and not taking stock of what features actually make the game fun for them, or easy to play with friends, or challenging, or whatever, it's no wonder folks are cynical and unhappy.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Originally posted by Unlight

And in the meantime we have to settle for schlock like SWTOR?  No thanks.  Give me the game and let the needy find another MMO messiah to pine for.

QFT.

Dear OP, we don't need a "messiah". We need an MMO that at least tries to be something else than another boring WoW clone.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by StSynner

Originally posted by Master10K
    The funny thing is that a lot of us GW2 fans don't see this game as the Messaiah of MMORPGs, that will appear once every 2 millenia, to save us and this genre as a whole. No. Most of us are here in support of this game because we heard about this crazy company making an MMORPG, with some lofty ideas; then we watched & some even experienced the gameplay only to discover that all those lofty ideas are actually in the game and working before beta.

This isn't a game that's hyped based purely on the devs word of mouth with nothing to back it up. This is hype based on the devs word of mouth with dozens or journalists and thousands of gameplay videos and impressions to back it up. So yeah, let the game release and I welcome the sh*t storm from all the naysayers like yourself OP, because I will be enjoying a good game, just like I'm enjoying playing The Witcher 2 right now.

I am a self proclaimed fanboy. I am waiting impatiently for GW2 to drop... I can not WAIT to get my grubby paws all over it.
    AH BUT!!!
    I am also an MMO gamer... and I have a damn near Pavlovian response to nothing but high praise. It makes me skeptical and nervous. The whole time I'm waiting for the "other shoe to drop". So... yeah... there ARE tons of good reveiws.. tons of gameplay videaos.. TONS of rabid fanboys hyping the game. ...but TOR had all of that. As did countless other MMO's.
    I KNOW there has got to be something awful about GW2... and i WILL find it. Cause if it sounds to good to be true... it usually is.

Oh, there are critics of GW2 out there, and not on these forums. Keen and Graev are huge doubters over on their blog, as is Syncaine of Hardcore Casual (and he has played the game at a con). Most of the cynicism seems to stem around either a hostility to the notion of oublic-quest-like content in favor of pure sandbox player-created content, and a feeling that ultimately the masses would prefer WoW so any initial success will be short-lived.

There is also a weird thing where Syncaine thinks DEs don't scale properly because a solo player died fighting one, which commits the cardinal sin of assuming that death precludes success.

However, SWTOR also had its detractors prior to launch. I think it's important to see WHAT negative things people are saying, rather than focusing on whether they are saying anything negative. Then you decide whether the negative statements have merit based on your own preferences. Lack of sandbox gameplay is a legitimate criticism of GW2 if that's what you want, but holds no merit with me personally.
      But that doesn't mean there are no negative statements about the game.

• Mythios11Mythios11 Member Posts: 129

Unfortunately, MMO's are a lot like drugs.  The first time you try an MMO, you think it's such an amazing experience but after a while it becomes a grind so you try another MMO, and another, and so on.

We're all chasing that initial experience that got us hooked on MMO's in the first place.  Notice how many people say "nothing beats SWG pre-cu" or "if they released DoAC 2 I would definitely play".   It's not that these games were that much better than the current crop of MMOs, more so that the original MMOs were our first taste of a new type of gaming experience. 

Nowadays, the hype is what's providing the "high" for MMO gamers since most people will inevitably feel let down after playing the game they've been looking forward to for so long.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

I said it many times before : Most MMOs are victims of its own long development time.

- By time they enter last 6 month of dev - MMO features are allready present in 1-2 games just released

- By time MMO is released - everyone is sick of those features allready and wants something new

Last year GW2 seemed like amazing super revolutionary MMO. Now its allready ey-ok "but Archeage will be the bomb"

Same went with SWTOR, if they released it last year - none of this hate and failure would happen. They just waited too long.

Totally disagree on swtor.  The disappointment wasnt because features were old.  It was because features did not live up to claims.  Dialogue is lame.  Combat is uninteresting.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Funny enough I got to play it PAX, they haven't lied about one thing.

What's still up in the air though is WvWvW and if it'll be heavily instanced like SWTOR which I pray to God it won't be.

It's not going to end all MMOs, but if you add this with ArchAge,TSW, Tera,Blade &Soul, and future games who don't have to be defended by people who said "Well WoW had these issues so it's only right for my game to have this issues." because each game coming out in 2012 will finally have either ideas of it's on that work well or looked at other original ideas but innovated them I.E Dynamic Events.

This game won't have a gamebreaking bug like ability delays, which only Rift, WoW, and EQ started with every other mmo didn't have that type of smoothness.

What these mmos are finally doing is bringing a real and true living world, shit won't be static.

I hated GW 2 before I played it, tried to make it look bad in every way and shape only to find out I couldn't, I looked to see if it had ambient sound, I looked to see if NPCs were static, I looked to see if cross combos looked messy, I looked to see if it was really skilled based, and so on.

Not saying it will please all and be perfect, but it ANET's goal is to release a great game, and they are not even tryin to prove that their MMO will take all the subs and what not, long as they are successful, that's it. 

Cash Shops could be argued but you'd have to be blind and deaf to not realize they aren't selling shit you'll "need."

But oh well I don't want or need to convince naysayers, or people wiith unrealistic thoughts about fans with unrealistic thoughts, I just know what I know and what I've experienced an I'm only expressing it like I have so many times because I feel like it'd give someone what it really is.

Oh and what's also subjective is people may say "Well were is that carrot hanging of the stick, I WANT IT!!!"

Take care and peace

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

GW2 is DAoC 2.0 and UO 2.0 what could possibly go wrong?

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Paul Newman can go milk a cow and get me some bacon while STFU.

Gimme GW2.............
    Want GW2 now.
    Will hate it while having fun I'm sure.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• SavageoneSavageone Member UncommonPosts: 80

And in the meantime we have to settle for schlock like SWTOR?  No thanks.  Give me the game and let the needy find another MMO messiah to pine for.

And when GW2 comes out, all the haters will trash it just like they did RIFT, SWTOR....etc......

nothing new, move along

• GutrippaGutrippa Member Posts: 17

Hmmm... is there a bit of Phear behind this OP? :) 

And while there are detractors on various forums railing against GW2, predicting it's gloom N doom, their usual stance is Anet is getting it wrong cuz it's not following the MMO 'xyz' mold.  No doubt many them won't ever try GW2 or fill forums with why they rage quit. But I'd wager GW2 will win over more converts than that when they see just how good the game is!

Oh well... some like coffee - some like tea, I prefer me Jack Black & Ginger ale meself actually :)  Hope ya find a game ya can enjoy and believe in m8...  For meself & GW2 I think this quote be more appropriate:

"Nurture your mind with great thoughts; to believe in the heroic makes heroes" - Benjamin Disraeli

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

My idea of the perfect game most certainly ISN'T one that completely ruins the rest of my life.

What a non-sensical generalisation and a complete load of rubbish, OP.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Dramatic much?

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

RELEASE IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ClobClob Member Posts: 130

I'm glad that people are excited for GW2 release.  What it means is that it has the look of something good.  How it ultimately turns out though only matters for me.  I've been following development since the day it was announced, so yeah, I'm excited and know of my expectations.  I've also experienced my share of let-downs from games that I just had a little excitement for.  I do at least a little research on all new mmo's coming out and for my personal tastes and interests GW2 is at the peak.  If it isn't released to save me disappointment then I'd be stuck with something of less interest to disappoint me.  However, I have the full experience with ANet so I know that if certain things aren't quite right at launch they will get there.

Since it's b2p I think EVERYONE should at least pick up the standard edition on day one (even your grandma - she may like crafting clothes).  Even if the hype wouldn't have been so high for so long it just doesn't seem worth it to not try it.  You can play the first week and if things are a bit too buggy or something for you then just log back in four months down the road for nothing more than a click of your index finger. 

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

My hope Anet will not make same mistake, and april release is well : 1 minute to last train...

You make good points there.  It's the marketing machine trying to build interest as soon as they can.  Perhaps we are starting to really notice the backlash of this.  What if they waited until they started closed beta (6months) before release to announce the game at all?  If the game is great, word of mouth will do wonders.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Savageone

And when GW2 comes out, all the haters will trash it just like they did RIFT, SWTOR....etc......

nothing new, move along

Probably.  But it's not what you think.

There will inevitably be a group of people that don't like GW2...I'm pretty much sure of this.  I mean, we already know there are folks that are mad there are no raids in GW2, or that there is fast travel, so the game isn't going to appeal to every single person.

Some of these people will likely come to the forums and start to trash the game.  So I can't disagree, there will be trashing of this game when it is released.

The flaw in your reasoning is when you say "the haters."  There seems to be this belief that there is a group of roving MMORPG marauders (the haters) that are dissatisfied with any MMORPG and make it their mission in life to trash every MMORPG that comes out.

I really don't think that's the case.  Most folks here that are psyched about the game will probably like it in my estimation.  And a lot of these folks are probably psyched for GW2 because they are looking for something different.  So you may see them "hating" on current games that give more of the same.  This does not mean they are a "hater" destined to never be satisified and cursed with hating on every game that will ever come out.

There will be individuals that don't like GW2, but that's all they are...individuals.

Take a note of all the folks you see on here that are psyched for GW2 but are "haters" of other games.  I doubt that you will see most of them come back and trash GW2.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• VicDonneganVicDonnegan Member Posts: 106

Originally posted by Sephastus

"You should never meet your hero." - Paul Newman

It is impossible for this game to live up to the hype it has generated. It has been romanticized to a fault, and the expectations people have put on it go way beyond what a game can pull.

You will not wake up twitching to try to get your dose of GW2. You will not sleep better because of your accomplishments in game. You will not give up your job, family, friends and physical well-being just to get in a few more hours of game time.

The prior example was just an exageration to put "hype" into perspective. The ultimate game should be able to completely suck you in to the point that you do just what I have stated before without even realizing it. Like the most intense of drugs, it should make you do things you wouldn't normally do. That is the type of stuff that WoW did to many in the gaming community... check out WoW's current hype... Then come look at GW2's hype and tell me you expect it to do better than that.

All that aside, the real reason it should not release is because of the quote I did before: You NEED to have an ultimate goal as to what you want a game to be. A holy grail of gaming to come (but that never materializes). Once GW2 releases, the disappointments accross the board are going to be increadibly large. The bugs, the exploits, the cheats, the gankings, the unfair advantages, the tweaks, the nerfs... IOW, the REALITY of MMORPG gaming will kick in. While its in development you can easily ignore all those things and make the game to be the best that will ever come out. But once it is out, its all over. No pleasant feeling of an upcoming game, no daydreaming of how the PvP will go, ...

GW2 should stay in development ad-infinum just to keep the gaming community hoping for a good game in the future, in order for them to not realize that their current gaming is about as good as things will ever get and not drop into a gaming depression. Having a "goal" keeps the MMORPG gaming community healthy as they continually try to find justifications for why their current or future or prior game was the best there ever was/is/will be.

Next, I bet you'll tell us that Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny aren't real.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Ehhhhh.....I'm not so certain that many people have the messiah idea when they talk about GW2. ANet is making a truly different type of mmo in GW2, so the development commentary from the mmo crowd is going to be very different, and we've pretty much have only seen generally positive comments from those who have been lucky enough to play at a con.

GW2 is different enough that we don't have a lot of previous examples to compare the game to. There's no quest hubs that have NPC's with ! and ? over their heads. Overworld "questing" is based around Dynamic Events, which really hasn't been experienced before. Sure WAR had public quests, but dynamic events are just a more realized vision of what PQ's should have been. I do get the feeling that the personal storyline will be fairly linear with simplistic A vs. B choices to vary the experience a bit.

I guess the bottom line is that ANet is doing what other mmo companies should have done. First, take their time to polish their game, and secondly, make their game unique. Any other game had unique ideas, but didn't have enough balls to completely deviate away from the wow themepark style gameplay.

• GamecriticGamecritic Member Posts: 34

Who cares about the hype? the game will be more enjoyable and far more succesful than SWTOR and at least we won't be paying for it each month. The game so far looks good sounds good but like every game you gotta try it before you decide.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Ouriel

Originally posted by Homitu

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by Master10K The funny thing is that a lot of us GW2 fans don't see this game as the Messaiah of MMORPGs, that will appear once every 2 millenia, to save us and this genre as a whole. No. Most of us are here in support of this game because we heard about this crazy company making an MMORPG, with some lofty ideas; then we watched & some even experienced the gameplay only to discover that all those lofty ideas are actually in the game and working before beta.   This isn't a game that's hyped based purely on the devs word of mouth with nothing to back it up. This is hype based on the devs word of mouth with dozens or journalists and thousands of gameplay videos and impressions to back it up. So yeah, let the game release and I welcome the sh*t storm from all the naysayers like yourself OP, because I will be enjoying a good game, just like I'm enjoying playing The Witcher 2 right now.

QFT. I have seen many more anti-GW2 folks claim that GW2 fans think GW2 is the messiah than I have seen GW2 fans actually claim that it is the messiah. It's such a stupid argument.  It's basically like "Those GW2's are really grating on my nerves with all their positivity.  I really want to say something negative about GW2 but I really can't think of anything good to say..." "Wait I know!  I'll just tell those fans that no matter how good GW2 is, it will never live up to their expectations!" "Muwahahaha!!!  I am a GENIUS!"

I'm inclined to agree with these posts. For the most part, at least on these boards, people seem to have pretty realistic expectations.  I've heard the most hardcore fans say that they intend to play the game for a few months at a time, and that they're not worried if it doesn't hold their interest for extended periods because there's no subscription fee. 

I have to disagree with you there(the marked text). Especially after reading most of the SWTOR posts and how biased the members on this forum are and they are far from realistic. I know I don't have many posts, but I... I just don't post on the forums much, just read them.

However, most of the game are being overhyped by some people and exaggerate with what the developers are saying or they are misinterpreting them and when the game is being released, they are whining because what they expected was not there because they imagined it differently.

Other thing that is worth mentioning is the "WoW killer", made by the people itself who it will be the next big thing and are exaggerating and when it that game releases and it does not meet their imaginary expectations they change their mind and start calling it a failure. It really piss me off and I sometimes wish I could just get a gun and shot them all. Even tho this has nothing to do with the post itself, I just... wanted to say it.

The hype Guild Wars 2 generated is rightfully claimed because everything they said was in the game 'cept for the WvWvW PvP. Many people were happy by what was represented on GamesCom, ComicCon and other events.

And most of the time, it's people's fault for making some games "WoW killers" or the saviour of the games, it's not the developers fault(not always), but most of the time for big games, is people's fault.

I agree with what you write, but you should post a little more to let some of that aggression out :)!

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• altairraltairr Member UncommonPosts: 81

As the Lobotomist said here, Archeage will take lots of GW2 players, if it will be free-to-play ( it is not yet decided ). But Anyway Guild Wars 2 will be the great game, and the policy they have chosen for advertising and so on ( things that you have mentioned ) is up on them and people ( the game consumers ) . Let the release come and after 1-2 months we will see how successful GW2 will be

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

I do have to agree with the OP. GW2 should remain this myth I hear about in Rift on how their dynamic content will just blow Rifts away. The Rift is dying because of GW2 threads will surely be missed.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

I'm afraid GW2 doesn't have that much hype outside mmorpg fandom. I think SWTOR is much more famous and know around the whole gaming market. So even if GW2 might not live to the expectations of it's fans, it can easilly surpass expectations of all those people who didn't play 1st part or many other mmos.

And Archage won;t take players from gW2 =P Archage is a completely no name game. They will have to fight hard to gather big following. And afterall GW2 will still be a themepark game while Archage want to lure all those sandbox loving players.

• Anoebis.beAnoebis.be Member Posts: 62

Originally posted by Master10K

The funny thing is that a lot of us GW2 fans don't see this game as the Messaiah of MMORPGs, that will appear once every 2 millenia, to save us and this genre as a whole. No. Most of us are here in support of this game because we heard about this crazy company making an MMORPG, with some lofty ideas; then we watched & some even experienced the gameplay only to discover that all those lofty ideas are actually in the game and working before beta.

This isn't a game that's hyped based purely on the devs word of mouth with nothing to back it up. This is hype based on the devs word of mouth with dozens or journalists and thousands of gameplay videos and impressions to back it up. So yeah, let the game release and I welcome the sh*t storm from all the naysayers like yourself OP, because I will be enjoying a good game, just like I'm enjoying playing The Witcher 2 right now.

I was going to write my own reply, but this say's it all!

I am hyped for this game because I like what I have seen and I KNOW I will be having a BLAST playing GW2. I will probably end up playing nothing else for a long while!

GW2 is not the savior of MMO's... it's just the game I have been waiting for!