Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Exodus?

Comments

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

Originally posted by Axxar

Close to prime time in the EU (I think) and here's the population distribution:

24 full

21 very heavy

38 heavy

8 standard

Assuming "standard" is the desired population on serers, unless the people planning on mass exodusing for some odd reason are relentlessly playing a game they hate, BioWare will need to roll out some more servers. Soon.

On xfire SWTOR has also beaten itself in played time this weekend, so at least the xfire users seem to be playing more.

This proves the point I think.  The servers are anywhere but dead.

Originally posted by JoeyMMO

I wouldn't bet on the majority of gamers playing or loving SWTOR. It's not that successful, not by a long shot. You people (still) playing SWTOR are a minority, and not even a vast one.

Thanks for the laugh.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

24 full

21 very heavy

38 heavy

8 standard

Assuming "standard" is the desired population on serers, unless the people planning on mass exodusing for some odd reason are relentlessly playing a game they hate, BioWare will need to roll out some more servers. Soon.

On xfire SWTOR has also beaten itself in played time this weekend, so at least the xfire users seem to be playing more.

Did the game come out later in Europe?

• Originally posted by Golelorn

24 full

21 very heavy

38 heavy

8 standard

Did the game come out later in Europe?

No, simultaneous release. I've been playing since december 13th.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Well the stats page show a decrease in the past two weeks, but that's probably due to holidays being over and the newness of the game is now over.

That said, I can only go by those who have played it and already left. My weekly friday night coop games had 5 members drop out three weeks ago. This Friday we were surprised to see them back. When asked, they said they stopped playing(for various reasons) and when asked what was the feedback in the guild, they said half liked it, a third hated it, and the rest are on the fence and don't plan on resubbing. Anecdotal I know, but it does jive with other opinon polls I've seen.

• ZezelZezel Member Posts: 132

Originally posted by baphamet

nope, the servers are still packed and every time i look most of them say "heavy" in their status.

people are simply loving this game and you vast minority of players who don't like this game or any games like it need to cope with the fact that you definitely are the minority.

I wouldn't bet on the majority of gamers playing or loving SWTOR. It's not that successful, not by a long shot. You people (still) playing SWTOR are a minority, and not even a vast one.

Why do you care what WE play?

If you don't like a game don't play it, and quit running to MMORPG.com to trash it.

• alexminoalexmino Member Posts: 132

Originally posted by Arkinia

Originally posted by Torgrim

Been reading a lot on these boards and on other gaming forums that people are leaving TOR before the free month is up, either be it at max level with fully geared toon players or people gotten bored before hitting max level.

Have any of you seen this on your server or less logins in your guild or friends stopped playing?

I wouldn't site this forum as a serious resource. 

This.

If this board was indicative then WoW would be the least popular mmo ever.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Originally posted by BadSpocky main.

If people rushed to 50 and got bored it's their own problem.

How is that their own problem? haha

For the most part this game is a single player game. They beat it and are done with it, moving on to something else like all other single player games. I do not think it's their problem. lol

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by superniceguy

Originally posted by Robsolf

My server is crammed, particularly on the Imperial side.  I had some trouble getting quest nodes last night, for the first time since beta.

I haven't had a queue in a long time, but I suspect they raised the cap.

So? That means nothing when it is all instanced. If that was the first time you were queued then you were probably on an instance with more players than previous times

STO is still crammed as it was at launch, but when you look at the number of instances it is now only 2 instead of about 10 (or how many there were, but there was definatly more than 2!) as it  was at launch. SWTOR is the same. When you want to check out the population levels, you need to keep an eye on the number of instances the server has, not how many people you see, as you will only see / interact with a fraction of the total

Well if you look at the total number of players on the planets there are just as many as a couple weeks ago.

I'd trust that over the number of instances.  Last night about 200 were on Belsavis (bug planet) on Iron Citadel at about 12 am.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

My server had 45 on tattooine during primetime.  I don't know how many planets there are, but that can't be a good number.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Last night (Sunday prime time) the servers were at their highest point in the last 6 days. But not by much.

Sunday 1/8 was actually 12% lower than last sunday. The funny part is, EU servers are staying constant but US servers are showing a pretty dramatic drop in the past two weeks. Holidays can account for some of it, but something is weird. Perhaps EU players transfering from US servers to EU servers now???

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    I wouldn't call 12 percent dramatic... That seems normal since people like me had to work again lol.
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by Zezel

Originally posted by baphamet

nope, the servers are still packed and every time i look most of them say "heavy" in their status.

people are simply loving this game and you vast minority of players who don't like this game or any games like it need to cope with the fact that you definitely are the minority.

Why do you care what WE play?

I didn't say I cared what you play, I just said more people are not playing it than there are people playing it. "People are loving it and those who don't are a minority". Seriously, even if 2M people were playing it, they'd still be a small minority. Over 80M people are playing FarmVille alone FFS. MMO players are a minority, and TOR players are, naturally, an even smaller minority. Don't kid yourself.

imageimage
  • BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I'm also under the suspicion that it doesnt display proper numbers. Sometimes when i check friends that are online on the same planet...their name doesnt show up. Many times as much as half of my logged on guild members don't show up on the list . I'm just not sure how reliable the  population numbers viewed in game are right now. It would be nice if I could be sure those issues are fixed. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if the show numbers low per planet with the number of servers and instances. If you're in your hangar...it just shows you (1) up in the corner...so you won't register on the planet you just left. Players  in PvP wont show on population  except in that warzone instance...people on stations or waiting for flashpoints at the imperial fleet won't show. If your in your ship it won't show...etc...etc. They really should have an option to view universal numbers with a universal chat channel that you can toggle on/off.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

Originally posted by BarCrow

I'm also under the suspicion that it doesnt display proper numbers. Sometimes when i check friends that are online on the same planet...their name doesnt show up. Many times as much as half of my logged on guild members don't show up on the list . I'm just not sure how reliable in game numbers are right now. It would be nice if I could be sure those issues are fixed.

we have the same bug. People are "on" but they don't show up as being "on' in the guild roster.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Originally posted by DarkPony

Nope. And when I made some alts a few days ago, the starting worlds were even more crowded compared to pre-launch. My server is brimming with people of all level ranges at the moment.

This is my experience as well.  I haved started a few alts and things are actually way more crowded than they were when I started my 1st character.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

{mod edit}

I had the same dream wow this must be sign:)

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Some people will have stopped playing already; others will stop after the paid for 'free' month; some after 2-3 months if x/y/z is not fixed/added. This is how it has been with recent games and nothing suggests that SWTOR is going to be different.

WAR - 750k registered users at launch, 800k somethings after 6 weeks, 300k subs at the end of months 3 and 6 according to EA; additional servers followed by mergers.

AoC - ditto - 840k initial registered users and seemed to track above WAR, down to 90-120k based on Funcom's earnings guidance after c.9 months.

Rift (a success!) started with 'nearly 1M registered users' and hit 1M sales 3-4m later according to Trion yet additional servers were followed by 'mergers' . managed 1M through sales. Additional serbers initially followed by - roll of the drums ...server mergers/consolidation.  

VSoH was a fabulous example of how much people wanted a game to succeed. Many stuck with it untilthe end of month 3. And then customers left etc. and eventaully SoE stepped in to save the game from closure.

WoW's customers, Blizzard are telling us, are subbing/unsubbing/resubbling faster than ever.

And Zynga gamers are widely reported to hop to the next new Zynga game as soon as it comes out.

So the question is not:  are people 'leaving' or 'not going to sub after thr 30 days it's 'how many?' Keeping 50% will be good.

(And with so much instancing, so many servers, several patches etc. comments along the lines of 'all my friends have left', 'my server is as full as ever', 'my guild has grown/disbanded'  are pretty meaningless this early in the game's life.)

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Originally posted by gervaise1

Some people will have stopped playing already; others will stop after the paid for 'free' month; some after 2-3 months if x/y/z is not fixed/added. This is how it has been with recent games and nothing suggests that SWTOR is going to be different.

WAR - 750k registered users at launch, 800k somethings after 6 weeks, 300k subs at the end of months 3 and 6 according to EA; additional servers followed by mergers.

AoC - ditto - 840k initial registered users and seemed to track above WAR, down to 90-120k based on Funcom's earnings guidance after c.9 months.

Rift (a success!) started with 'nearly 1M registered users' and hit 1M sales 3-4m later according to Trion yet additional servers were followed by 'mergers' . managed 1M through sales. Additional serbers initially followed by - roll of the drums ...server mergers/consolidation.  

VSoH was a fabulous example of how much people wanted a game to succeed. Many stuck with it untilthe end of month 3. And then customers left etc. and eventaully SoE stepped in to save the game from closure.

WoW's customers, Blizzard are telling us, are subbing/unsubbing/resubbling faster than ever.

And Zynga gamers are widely reported to hop to the next new Zynga game as soon as it comes out.

So the question is not:  are people 'leaving' or 'not going to sub after thr 30 days it's 'how many?' Keeping 50% will be good.

(And with so much instancing, so many servers, several patches etc. comments along the lines of 'all my friends have left', 'my server is as full as ever', 'my guild has grown/disbanded'  are pretty meaningless this early in the game's life.)

Hate to break it to ya, and everyone else who uses this logic, but 99.999% of the people who 'go back' to thier previous game after the first month or so in a new game...never actually left thier first game of choice. They had no intention of staying any longer, and most of them only tried it because someone else moved ot the game and they moved with them, under protest. 

Anyone who moves to a new game, not because they want to, but because thier guildmates or friends moved will most likely not like it and stay. Its just the truth of it. If you are thinking these people are an accurate representation of a games success you are sorely mistaken. You can't gauge a games popularity by polling people who never liked it in the first place and never had an intention to stay playing it.

As for current population, seeing a LOT more people in game now than I did in the first week or two. The fleet hub is filling up nicely, flashpoints are running almost non-stop at peak times, and no longer hitting nothing but huttball in warzones with a near zero queue time now.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Yes people are leaving there are no tons of FULL servers anymore. The EU side is even more dead. And duh people will say..NOPE more are playing.. and since the servers almost 1 month after launch are showing less.. we get..oh people are at work...they have real lifes, its not the weekend, they increase the limit of the servers this is why no more FULL. Yet there is no such post from devs.

There is so many bugs that they just are not getting to because of lack of man power and people dont want to wait. And why should they its been over 7 years since World of Warcraft and to launch a game not ready .. people are starting to expect something for their money. But hey the game could have 4 servers and you will still read "best MMO EVER!" "MY server is full all the time" lol

LIke I said other times its the easiest mmo I have ever played. I can go play my sons account of WOW and not get "loot" greens, blues, oranges, purples.. in ONE DAY..every day..  You get TONS of comendations to buy crap.. just to easy..what do you have to work for? Nothing..

• SNAFUdamusSNAFUdamus Member UncommonPosts: 59

Got one toon to 50, I hated doing it but did it for my friends. Canceled my sub, PvP and the PvP servers are a complete joke.

• Mythios11Mythios11 Member Posts: 129

Unfortunately, the linear world and heavily scripted player progression have grown tiresome after just a few weeks.  I was really hoping to get at least a few months out of SWTOR but it just didn't happen for me.  :(

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

Hit level 50, geared up in epics.  No challange. Gameplay wasn't interesting.  PvP is a mess.

So many things wrong with this game.

It was just an average title, and average tends to bore me. 

I had a pretty good setup for end game, and usually it's hard to walk away from an MMO after investing a lot of time and effort... but in this case, it felt pretty good hitting the cancel button. 

It's funny, I went from a 6 month subscription down to a 1 month subscription when my petition took 8 days to respond to and now I've finally decided that this game just wasn't for me.

• RavenspenRavenspen Member UncommonPosts: 104
    The zones i am in, mainly the first 4 worlds are as crowded or slightly higher than at launch. Certainly not the mass exodus that some here seem to be praying for.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Originally posted by Kaocan

Originally posted by gervaise1

Hate to break it to ya, and everyone else who uses this logic, but 99.999% of the people who 'go back' to thier previous game after the first month or so in a new game...never actually left thier first game of choice. They had no intention of staying any longer, and most of them only tried it because someone else moved ot the game and they moved with them, under protest. 

Anyone who moves to a new game, not because they want to, but because thier guildmates or friends moved will most likely not like it and stay. Its just the truth of it. If you are thinking these people are an accurate representation of a games success you are sorely mistaken. You can't gauge a games popularity by polling people who never liked it in the first place and never had an intention to stay playing it.

As for current population, seeing a LOT more people in game now than I did in the first week or two. The fleet hub is filling up nicely, flashpoints are running almost non-stop at peak times, and no longer hitting nothing but huttball in warzones with a near zero queue time now.

Not quite sure what exactly the breaking news is but you seem to be agreeing that people leave new games. I completely agree that some move because their guild decides to try a new product and that some go back to their old game. Some will also move to the next new game or declare they are burnt out etc.

Not quite sure what people are being polled but the history of all? recent subscription based mmos is big numbers on day 1, lots of people leave after the first month, another lot leave in months 2-3 with some new sales coming in.

US Server status atm: 5.45pm PST, 7.45 CST, 9.45 EST:

Full 0; Very Heavy 3; Heavy 67; Standard 53; Light - the test server

Now this doesn't mean people have left - they could be playing less or maybe they are all watching ... errrr whatever. This is pretty much peak time however.

• vylovylo Member Posts: 149
    I left. There is a fun bug they never fixed where some
    People can't patch the game. It just downloads forever. Sometimes you can get around this by Patching another comp qnd transfering the files. I did this and was happy..... Until they patched. Turns out i have to do this workaround EVERY patch. No thanks. The rp aspect of the quests is nice, but the engine is awful (want to add someone to friends? Sorry! they aren't online). Perhaps if the game was radically different it wouldmbe forgivable, but this game has fallen into the classic trap: Is your game sigificantly unique to WoW? If not, is it as polished as WoW? If not...... Why dont I jist play WoW instead of a clone with bugs and a bad engine?