Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Exodus?

Comments

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

In theory, there should be more people on forums complaining about a game than defending it, because:

a) If it's perfect, they should be playing it, not browsing negative threads for arguments
    b) People complain about things as they want them to be rectified and made aware of, what do the people who are in love with the game aim to achieve?

Just simple logic, there shouldn't ever be any arguments here, why do people need to defend a game that doesn't personally concern them.

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

Only thing keeping me in-game is my class quests and some of the more interesting planet-wide story arcs.  I am logging in because I want to find out what happens next - which is a good thing.

However, once the storylines run dry (if and when that happens, I dunno), I probably won't stick around much longer after that.  Its no different than with Rift.  The rift system was interesting enough to keep me coming back... but once the luster wore off and it became your 'standard' mmo, I left. 

Unfortunately - while providing entertaining diversions from the most enjoyable aspect ( the storyline), pvp/space/crafting aren't engaging enough to keep me subbed once I get bored with the quest lines.  I'm not one for playing for the sake of playing or faction/raid/quest grinding for the sake of improving a character.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Vegetto

a) If it's perfect, they should be playing it

Or at work.  :shrug:  Also, false dichotomy.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

There are getting fewer and fewer FULL servers, and right now there is only one. When I created characters just before official launch, at this same time, about half the servers were FULL. So the populations are actually dwindling. Plus there has been too many people saying they are quitting.

Seeing loads of players around is not a sign of game staying healthy, as the servers are all instanced, and once a certain number is reached you put on to another instance on same server. Not sure what the figues are but if only 200 can be on one instance, then  you may be on the instance that has 200 players. But if you are in an instance where there are 6 players then you will think it is dead, as only has 6 people but the server may be holding of 1000s of players across 5+ other instances.

I can not see myself playing SWTOR forever and ever, and will likely quit once I have played through each class thoroughly, and may return to play it through again at some point, unless they add loads to the game other than story quests, which will make me stay.

The game needs more meta games which SWG had plenty of. Trying to loot the last collection piece which was extremely rare was an annoying concept, but it certainly worked in keeping you subbed. Beast Master and the mutations kept you hooked too. Crafting especially kept you hooked, in the pursuit of hoping for a certain resource to spawn and that it will be better than what you already got.

SWTOR is mainly just an enhanced version of the Legacy quests in SWG Take away the Legacy quests in SWG you have a tonne of things to do. Take away the stories from SWTOR, and you are left with virtually nothing to do.

With SWG gone, I will certainly be quitting SWTOR sooner, as now my time is more focussed on SWTOR, than split between SWG and SWTOR. LA could have gotten rich from keeping both active

Originally posted by Icewhite

a) If it's perfect, they should be playing it, not browsing negative threads for arguments
    Or at work.  :shrug:

Same, but it's like countering arguments to try and prove people wrong.

I'm sure people don't want to hate something, especially if they made the effort to buy it and try it out, so it's obviously a case of customer dissatisfaction.

If i spoke to someone at a shop, said a product was not upto the standard i was told it would be, and he said "you're a troll, i love it, you're lying", i would smash his spotty face in.

But vice versa, i wouldn't feel the need to run into the shop and tell him how much i love the product, he would say "and..."?

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

My server is crammed, particularly on the Imperial side.  I had some trouble getting quest nodes last night, for the first time since beta.

I haven't had a queue in a long time, but I suspect they raised the cap.

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

I've been reading this site for a few years now, and it's the same evry single launch. This site should be renamed "EXmmoer-rpg.com" given that the majority of the forum posts are by the minority who actually dislike every mmo on the market.

Play what you enjoy and don't give a second thought to those who spend time posting "constructive" critisism about [ insert any mmorpg released in the last 10 years ].

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I'm sure people don't want to hate something, especially if they made the effort to buy it and try it out, so it's obviously a case of customer dissatisfaction.

If i spoke to someone at a shop, said a product was not upto the standard i was told it would be, and he said "you're a troll, i love it, you're lying", i would smash his spotty face in.

But vice versa, i wouldn't feel the need to run into the shop and tell him how much i love the product, he would say "and..."?

Need I point out what topic you're in?  You have cause and effect reversed.  You came here, by your own logic to a topic you should have no interest in, and therefor "conflict" should never happen--yes?

That's the basic problem with haters and fanboys--well, there are many problems with the simplistic labels--they're both convinced that the other team's motives is what the problem is.

And we've already seen one motivation revealed upthread.  Some of you (not necessarily yourself) have been at this taunt and bait game for so long that your motivations are no longer impersonal.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Need I point out what topic you're in?  You have cause and effect reversed.  You came here, by your own logic to a topic you should have no interest in, and therefor "conflict" should never happen--yes?
    That's the basic problem with haters and fanboys--well, there are many problems with the simplistic labels--they're both convinced that the other team's motives is what the problem is.
    And we've already seen one motivation revealed upthread.  Some of you (not necessarily yourself) have been at this taunt and bait game for so long that your motivations are no longer impersonal.

Well, basically, i'm really struggling with my servers population at the moment, my guild activity has dropped to 10%, i haven't managed to get a group for a fortnight, so i thought this thread may have people suffering similar.

Although, in a previous post, i was called a liar. It's astonishing people would make things up, if i was grouping, chatting and had a full guild, i would be chuffed. So of course, i questioned my servers population - EU - Hex Droid. It says full, but i can't find people :(

Originally posted by Robsolf

My server is crammed, particularly on the Imperial side.  I had some trouble getting quest nodes last night, for the first time since beta.

So? That means nothing when it is all instanced. If that was the first time you were queued then you were probably on an instance with more players than previous times

STO is still crammed as it was at launch, but when you look at the number of instances it is now only 2 instead of about 10 (or how many there were, but there was definatly more than 2!) as it  was at launch. SWTOR is the same. When you want to check out the population levels, you need to keep an eye on the number of instances the server has, not how many people you see, as you will only see / interact with a fraction of the total

Originally posted by superniceguy

So? That means nothing when it is all instanced. If that was the first time you were queued then you were probably on an instance with more players than previous times

STO is still crammed as it was at launch, but when you look at the number of instances it is now only 2 instead of about 10 (or how many there were, but there was definatly more than 2!) as it  was at launch. SWTOR is the same. When you want to check out the population levels, you need to keep an eye on the number of instances the server has, not how many people you see, as you will only see / interact with a fraction of the total

STO is instanced because all the gaming areas are tiny and can't hold more than 50 people without them running into each other constantly.

TOR is rarely instanced(sharded), and usually only in small hubs like the Republic/Imperial fleet, and in starter worlds.  Sharding occurs alot less in SWTOR than what your hater buddies tell you.  Even at launch.  The most shards I've ever seen was 4 on Ord Mantell. 

STO is instanced because all the gaming areas are tiny and can't hold more than 50 people without them running into each other constantly.

TOR is rarely instanced(sharded), and usually only in small hubs like the Republic/Imperial fleet, and in starter worlds.  Sharding occurs alot less in SWTOR than what your hater buddies tell you.  Even at launch.  The most shards I've ever seen was 4 on Ord Mantell. 

4? I was in an instance number of 27 last week

Oh dear, it certainly has gone down now!

Come back to the table when you stop making crap up.

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

How many times has the mass exodus from WoW ever happened, and how many times has doom been predicted?

The mass exodus from wow is going on right now, they already lost over 2 million players in the last few months.  TOR is actually catching up in the EU/US region for player numbers :P

Anyway, Bioware have upped the server caps since launch, also new instances are automatically created to balance load (instead of 1000s of people dumped in to just one and then a server crash, like wow).  The number of people you see are the ones in the same instance as you, but there are probably a bunch of other instances all with 100 people each.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Are you sure you are not confusing shard population with the number of instances? I am on a VERY full server, Lord Aradas RP, queued most nights. The most number of instances I have seen is 4 even in head start (not that I check very often, there could have been more than that at some point). That number in the upper left hand corner is not the number of instances, but rather the population of the instance you are in.

I never have trouble finding groups, and play with RL friends and total strangers all the time. Made a few friends. MMOs, even instanced, themeparked ones, are as social as you make them, in my book. Some require it more, some are easier to solo. This game is no EQ1 with regards to grouping, but at least on my server, folks are always hanging out, roleplaying, and grouping together. /shrug

• RedKatanaRedKatana Member Posts: 211

It's not that I don't like Star Wars cause I love the movies but I choose not to play a Sci Fi MMORPG and if all these are right before the free month people allready leaving then this is going to be ugly reminds me Age of Conan.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

You guys just cant stand it. You are chomping at the bit for anything that suggests that SWTOR will be "teh fail" of all MMOs.

I have no interest in Guild Wars 2, Vanguard, LotRo, WoW, Darkfall, but I don't WASTE my time looking for any sign that any one of these games will fail. I don't care. Why do you guys care if SWTOR fails or not? What is with this sick fascination of finding anything negative to post about it?

Get a grip!

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

Originally posted by RedKatana

It's not that I don't like Star Wars cause I love the movies but I choose not to play a Sci Fi MMORPG and if all these are right before the free month people allready leaving then this is going to be ugly reminds me Age of Conan.

That's right, Age of Conan was a failure. That is why it is still a game you can buy and play. That is why I spent 3 years having fun in the AoC universe. Been hearing that AoC was a failure for almost 4 years now. Want a failure? How about Tabula Rasa or Auto Assault or Hellgate ... those were failures.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

Originally posted by nikoliath

I've been reading this site for a few years now, and it's the same evry single launch. This site should be renamed "EXmmoer-rpg.com" given that the majority of the forum posts are by the minority who actually dislike every mmo on the market.

Play what you enjoy and don't give a second thought to those who spend time posting "constructive" critisism about [ insert any mmorpg released in the last 10 years ].

Exactly!

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    This thread made me laugh. Thanks for the comedy with my morning coffee.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

well i can only say from my point of view that population seems to be dropping on my server. it went from a que every day all day to no que ever.  i made some alts and its very hard to find people to do the quest with seems not many new players are coming to my server.

plus i fly around some of the 30-40 level areas and hardly see anybody found one person on tatoo last night....

and it seems most of my guild isnt going to play after the free month.

I play on a pvp server and i think thats a big part of it, the pvp in this game is really bad and i think people will leave. i hope they offer server merges when population gets to low that way people dont just quit because they have nobody to play with they at least get the option to moveing to a populated server.

• GweyrGweyr Member Posts: 93

What mass exodus? More people of my guild are joining us in SWTOR. We have recruited few dozen new people. The various areas I play in on the server have tons of people about. 

I think it helps if you are casual social players. My guild does have about dozen level 50 people but they team up other lev el 50s or are rolling alts to help other guild members do stuff.

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

I'm constantly running into people on every mission I do, so I'm not seeing a reduction of people playing the game.  That said I don't see how you could not be running into peeps as everything is funneled due to the Quests.  I've had plenty of occasions where I have to wait for respawns so I can complete my missions.

As for the haters hating, thats just a fact of life on these boards lol.  If you think these haters are bad, you should of been on STO at release as those haters took the game design real personal lol.  These guys are just amateurs!

I give up, after a couple of hours, still nothing by the way.

join hex droid, come on lads?

• PandraxPandrax Member UncommonPosts: 341

Originally posted by Antarious

Originally posted by pandrax

I find it sad there are so many people who waste their lives trying to convince people they do not know, on what they should and should not play. It's almost to the point it's getting pathetic, and mmorpg does nothing to stop the flame wars that most of these trolls cause. about 80% of the players who believe SWTOR should be abolished are ex SWG players who feel they should be playing a star wars game built as if it were SWG 2.0.

It's never going to happen, and I really question these forums nowadays, mainly because they are so full of hatred by a select few and are allowed to repeatdly troll an entire forum.

You write a post that assumes something.. you say negative things and even toss out insults.   Then you complain that site allows trolling?   Seriously?

If someone posts they like a game a bunch of people descend on them to tell them their opinion is wrong.

If someone doesn't like a game... they are a former swg player.. a hater.. a troll or hope the game fails.

Much logic you have.  (yes I meant to word it like that).

Maybe people are sick of the same old game being released.. yet even then it descends into some discussion about WoW even tho WoW didn't invent the mechanic people are sick of.

There are few new MMO releases and most of them are relatively the same game.   Yep TOR said exactly what it would be but that doesn't make people wrong for wanting something else in a very stagnant market.

Nor does it make them former swg players, haters or trolls by default.   Just as your opinion is no more fact than someone else, nor is it more important.

People who are enjoying a game should be off playing it... people in general come to forums becuase they have an issue or are bored.   Which is pretty much why its the same chat as /general.

oh and yes it amazes me how much time people enjoying a game have... to troll forums in defense or a product they didn't create and have no stake it... nor is their enjoyment diminished because someone else doesn't like it.

It's funny, because apparently you have no idea what you are speaking of, so I am full of assumptions? and I'm insulting? Maybe you take my words as insulting, but they were meant as the truth from my point of view, no insulting involved. I am sorry if you are blind to the fact that the majority of people who use these forums (and a lot of the Mmorpg.com history) stem from SWG. Maybe you have not been around long enough to know this? Who knows, but you have made my day wasting all that time writing that for nothing. :)

~ ~

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.