Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Engine upgrade- 2012?

LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

Here we are. Its 2012. Any updates if it will happen this year?

Comments

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I highly doubt its even being worked on anymore.

Either way, they have stalled so long on it that most of the anticipation for the upgrade has subsided. The longer they wait, the less difference the upgrade will make.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by Kost

I highly doubt its even being worked on anymore.

Either way, they have stalled so long on it that most of the anticipation for the upgrade has subsided. The longer they wait, the less difference the upgrade will make.

They do release new scrrenshots frequently so i guess it is still being worked on(but by how many?) other than that I fully agree.

• deadmanbelldeadmanbell Member UncommonPosts: 69

Now that  Means is gone. I wonder if the engine will just die or if that will actually speed everything up. I have a feeling its all hands on deck for Secret World so the engine is getting shoved to the back of the bus... like the rest of this game.

AO2 where are you?

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

Originally posted by deadmanbell

Now that  Means is gone. I wonder if the engine will just die or if that will actually speed everything up. I have a feeling its all hands on deck for Secret World so the engine is getting shoved to the back of the bus... like the rest of this game.

AO2 where are you?

Means is gone?!?  What happened?   More info..... 

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

I have completely given up on AO.  I still do not believe that the upgrade on the graphics will ever happen. I mean we have been told it was coming since around 2006 if memory serves.

The game is dying around them.  I think it is too late to save it even if they FINALLY update the graphics.  Even with all the bugs it had it was a great game.  I met so many great people and playing it was a blast.

I will be sad when they finally decide to put it to rest, but I think it would be best if they would just put it out of its misery.

• quasar941quasar941 Member Posts: 159

Originally posted by kb4blu
    I have completely given up on AO.  I still do not believe that the upgrade on the graphics will ever happen. I mean we have been told it was coming since around 2006 if memory serves.
    The game is dying around them.  I think it is too late to save it even if they FINALLY update the graphics.  Even with all the bugs it had it was a great game.  I met so many great people and playing it was a blast.
    I will be sad when they finally decide to put it to rest, but I think it would be best if they would just put it out of its misery.

^^ this

Five years ago the rebalancing and new graphics engine might have turned things around and extended the life of the game considerably. Now, it's too little, too late. FC obviously has no intention of doing anything to revitalize the game, otherwise they would not be letting the population die down to almost nothing. I wish they would just come clean and let everyone know the deal, rather then stringing people along, hoping for a last minute miracle.

• ZoterixZoterix Member Posts: 20

Hmm I tried this game a loong time ago and I think is realy unique, but some areas felt realy empty and the engine needs works, because I remember some horrible looking stuff about it.

• SkrankenSkranken Member UncommonPosts: 100

The new game director Lindelu is supposed to write her first letter to the community at end of January. I guess that will contain plans for 2012. Its not long ago since they showed us recent pictures of the engine, and it looks sweet.

I am certain Anarchy Online will survive for a long time. It got dedicated playerbase that will stick around no matter what, just like Everquest and Asherons Call do.. Difference is there is no other games like Anarchy Online, so you got no alternatives. (Dont come here and say SWTOR)

• quasar941quasar941 Member Posts: 159

Originally posted by Skranken
    I am certain Anarchy Online will survive for a long time. It got dedicated playerbase that will stick around no matter what, just like Everquest and Asherons Call do.. Difference is there is no other games like Anarchy Online, so you got no alternatives. (Dont come here and say SWTOR)

Assuming FC doesn't shut down the game because it's not making any money, which is where things are probably headed if the population doesn't stabilize.

• deadmanbelldeadmanbell Member UncommonPosts: 69

This game is kind of like your favorite Dog. I loved it from the time it was a puppy, but now it has hip problems and can't see to well. When I call it doesn't come to fast. I think its time to take it out in the back yard and put it down, It pains  me to watch it move.

Please Fun Com just put it down and get a new puppy... we can call him AO2 or the Grid, or Leetus Maximus. There are no more implants you can stick in this thing.

Feel free to join in here gang

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Originally posted by assault3hro

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/12/07/anarchy-online-gets-its-own-convention-in-2012-ao-con/

I wouldn't be scared just yet..

Anarchy Online gets its own convention in 2012: AO Con

That's player / fan organised, they might get lucky & have someone from FunCom show up, but I wouldn't bet on it.

• TortanicTortanic Member Posts: 85

The horribly complicated skill and item system really was the games' selling point, not to mention the fact that there's a severe lack of halfway worthwhile SCIFI games out there.

Shame it never really got any love from it's parent company or developers, as it really had a solid niche fan and playerbase that they've really neglected.

• skulyskuly Member UncommonPosts: 140

The end of days is more likely to happen in 2012 than Engine/GFX upgrade for Anarchy Online.

Processor: Intel Core I5-2320
    Memory: 8GB DDR3 RAM
    HDD: Samsung 830 256gb SSD-SATA3
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7950 3gb

Steam:Skuly
    Warframe:Skuly1775

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

I really hope FC can pulll this off, its almost the end of jan. Were is this chicks letter. 

And were did means go???

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by assault3hro

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/12/07/anarchy-online-gets-its-own-convention-in-2012-ao-con/

I wouldn't be scared just yet..

That would be the perfect time to reveal entirely and possible launch the next day/week this new engine. 

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

I almost completely forgot about this game... Didn't know it was still around!  People still expecting upgrade?!?!

How many servers?  How much activity lol.  When was the last update/patch that included more than balance/bug fixing?  Heck, when was the last patch?

I never got into this game much, I think it had to do with the instanced "random" mission dungeons you would do over and over?  Also, i'm pretty sure if you have a TON of money you can twink new characters to be godlike with augs or mods or somethin?  Dont like idea of trying to play when everyone around you is sooo much stronger.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Originally posted by Painlezz

I almost completely forgot about this game... Didn't know it was still around!  People still expecting upgrade?!?!

How many servers?  How much activity lol.  When was the last update/patch that included more than balance/bug fixing?  Heck, when was the last patch?

I never got into this game much, I think it had to do with the instanced "random" mission dungeons you would do over and over?  Also, i'm pretty sure if you have a TON of money you can twink new characters to be godlike with augs or mods or somethin?  Dont like idea of trying to play when everyone around you is sooo much stronger.

Ive never seen anyone miss the point or objective of a game by so much before.

I can tell that this is not going to be a game for you by any means...its complicated, its not like typical themeparks.  Its diffrent because it was made before that one game that made every other game a stale easy and shallow game of bypassing as much content as possible so you can grind endgame isntances over and over and over..

Anyway twinking was less about money and more about having friends to help you put on the gear.

And the last comment really made me miss the old days in AO when the whole concept of "other player are stronger than me so im not going to play" was even a concept (the goal was to get to their level possibly though)

Man i miss this game....would kill for AO2...however i dont think todays gamer community would like a difficult game or a complicated game...still... i dream

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Originally posted by Skranken

The new game director Lindelu is supposed to write her first letter to the community at end of January. I guess that will contain plans for 2012. Its not long ago since they showed us recent pictures of the engine, and it looks sweet.

http://www.anarchy-online.com/wsp/anarchy/frontend.cgi?func=publish.show&template=content&func_id=2662&table=CONTENT

OOPD. That just says what you said.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

http://www.ao-universe.com/index.php?id=3

There is some new screenshots out there... Still it's very slow upgrade not much personel and not high-priority...

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

GW2 is being developed in the time that AO is creating this graphics engine upgrade lol (sad lol) Meanwhile lot of other former P2P games go hybrid and now offer F2P accounts. I dont have any hope anymore that I will play AO with that graphics engine upgrade.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Originally posted by someforumguy

GW2 is being developed in the time that AO is creating this graphics engine upgrade lol (sad lol) Meanwhile lot of other former P2P games go hybrid and now offer F2P accounts. I dont have any hope anymore that I will play AO with that graphics engine upgrade.

You do realize that funcom dedicated like 13 people in a office in canada to undertake the entire reskinning of the 10k+ items and the entire world as well as developing new content....right?

Believe me, i wish they had opted for the entire company to work towards AO2 rather than a small team to undertake the whole project.  This isnt going to be a new game when it does come out with a new engin. 

It will look better, will have the same 2001 mechanics and combat.  Also, its going to be a massive cash shop sellout game, as i think it already is if i can remeber.

Really though...i think the team developing the new engie port is directly related to the kind of money this game is currently pulling in, which should indicate what about 15 people make.

Edit*

great..thanks..made me reply to a post a month old...now langly is going to ban me and send the internet police after me.

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

I get a kick out of the "new" engine. 

It would have been "new"

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=498971

then.

It will still be old now.