Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Official SWTOR Review

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by nerovipus32

If it was as good as mmorpg.com say it is why am i not playing it anymore? they have given lower scores to better mmo's.

Because everyone has different tastes?

There are well-rated games on this site that I couldn't stomach for more than a couple of hours. That's just how the world works.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

If it was as good as mmorpg.com say it is why am i not playing it anymore? they have given lower scores to better mmo's.

There are well-rated games on this site that I couldn't stomach for more than a couple of hours. That's just how the world works.

I agree, but there's plenty of topics where common sense is universal... for example.. don't drink chlorene, don't lick your toilet and giving 8/10 to TOR for INNOVATION is absolutely ridiculous and this is the most laughable comment ever heard about TOR: "If you’ve played any themepark MMO in the last five years, Star Wars: The Old Republic is as social, if not more social, than any of them."

Blatant biased review.

..Cake..

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

Originally posted by sgel

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

(mod edit)

Can't believe they have the audacity to say this is social in the slightest, let alone one of the most.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

I respectfully disagree with the score.  The PvP in this game is a complete debacle, and even if you think it plays better than WAR (which is up for serious debate), the fact is Warhammer launched with more structure in place.   WAR had more PvP battlegrounds and at least tried to have meaningful centralized objectives.   Realize of course we are also comparing the PvP in this game to Warhammer, which is hardly the bar we should be looking at to step over, especially given the silly amount of crowd control.

I think the innovation here is excessive voice acting and....well that's it.  But in other areas, the game actually takes a step backwards like the UI as mentioned here.  In the world of theme parks MMO, TOR is somewhere between mediocre and OK (remove the lore of Star wars and look at it objectively).   A lot of other theme park games have better graphics, better customization, better PvP, and better longevity at the cost of no voice acting.  I don't think we should be rating longevity before the free month is up because I have a feeling that about 6-8 weeks post launch when people start capping out, retention is going to take a serious hit.

Just my 2 cents.

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by sgel

TOR’s PvP is basically a better balanced evolution of Warhammer Online’s PvP.

WAT?

haha! That made me lol! I remember the first day of SWG, there was  a huge battle going on in Tatooine, with Imperial At-At's all over the place. That was world PvP. Pardon any spelling errors. Am I missing something in SWTOR?

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I rated the game myself 7.8 in the rating section.

Yet i find that the Review is not way off bcs the game is not bad, not even average - it is weighted overall a good game and even with a 1 to 10 scale rating you cant give an overall good game less than a 8 rating.

The rating scale is that much degraded bcs anything below 6 is worthless shit today so it would be time to think over rating scales at all and not only a single rating of SWTOR that is coloured of hate too often.

Especially for people not jaded on mmos this game deserves any ratings around 8.5 on the scale.

This is for the first 1 to 3 months, after that, for the 4 to 6 and 7 to 12 months range, it should get a re-review.
    Content updates and expansions should have been out then or announced, longt term gameplay like economy, raiding, pvp show their trends and quality, that is the time for a final judgement.

As of now, for now, i pay 3 more months for 3 more months of gaming and grouping fun and when the fun ends my sub ends (or when a better game arrives).

Now i go roast some more Force Freaks!
    (Very probably i would NOT play or like the game if they had no Bounty Hunter Class, but it would still desereve an official 8.x rating)

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

lmao:

A bug riddled game called Hellgate Global was given a score of 8 one week ago and now a supposed AAA mmo gets a 8.7.

I don't get the logic to the scoring of review points at all, 0.7 devides the score for these two games.

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373

8.7!  Really?  First, let me say that I have not played this game.  That being said, one doesn't have to play to know its' not a 8.7 on any scale.  While I agree, from reviews, friends, etc, the game may play well and is fun and to be straight forward, had it not been for the $60 tag + monthly fees and would give it a try and still may once the price/hype drops.  

8.7?  Why?  I've noticed in the many years, that if a game can somehow get released 80% polised, then it ranks high (I suppose this is because 75% of mmo's that get released are unpolised and/or uncomplete).  Just because a game is less of a turd than others doesn't make it great.  It simply means most other Dev's shouldn't be getting paid what they are.

8.7? Would anyone that agrees with this please put me in my place and advise why. 

Crafting:  I hear it's the greatest but how?  I've played many and as far I can see, it's nothing, compaired to VG, Wurm or even EQ2 and thats saying somehting.

Combat: How is it any differant than WoW or many others for that matter?  Target x, stand and click y.  Can you dodge incomeing fire or do attacks somehow follow you around.

Graphics:  They are cartoony.  I know, I know...Cartoony graphics work better for the masses with regards to computers.  That being said, I'm ok with this but it still doesn't change the fact.

Content:  Compared to games like EQ2 (maybe WoW for the lovers), their simply isn't any.

Anyway; like I said, the game my be good and fun to play but I've say closer to 5.5 imo.

• face30face30 Member UncommonPosts: 193

Nice review, my review score would be a bit lower, due to some issues that need resolved. Purely based on fun, my review would be a 9.5-10 so far, but of course, to each their own.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Aesthetics a 9.

So I guess they fixed high texture setting not working an implemented AA?

• BergirBergir Member Posts: 299

Love the game. However i canceled 4 out of 5 accounts already, mine is the only one active,  the rest of the family already lost interest.

• TreiseTreise Member UncommonPosts: 4

Originally posted by mastersomrat

Combat: How is it any differant than WoW or many others for that matter?  Target x, stand and click y.  Can you dodge incomeing fire or do attacks somehow follow you around.

I have not played the game either but there's a thing called 'Style', where if you like watching someone play a game, the combat is fun to watch because of the 'style', has nothing to do with mechanics, dodging, attacks following etc.

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373

300M +/- and no Day/Night cycle...hmmmm...   Anyone know what to going rate is?

• alantheceltalanthecelt Member Posts: 122

gah

one thing i wanted feedback on

endgame

i had plenty of time in beta to experience what was mentioned in the review....

I dont believe its a good idea for an mmo site to review an mmo without any mention of hte endgame. Sure as a standalone game review as much as you can, but mmos cannot be reviewed as ann mmo without some end game mentions.

• OrgoneOrgone Member Posts: 90

Hmmmmm,

Review highlights the same issues players are coming across, but doesn't score accordingly.

No doubt a huge hit, and I for one am enjoying it, but it's rating is far far too high.

seems to be the way on this site nowadays

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Of course 8.7 is too high. But Rift got an 8.6.  They backed themselves into a corner with that one and had to give it better than Rift, its simply a lot more fun of a game.  The scores and reviews from this site (and most sites) are meaningless.  Any site that has given any mmorpg since WoW over an 8 (*maybe* EoF or RoK era EQ2 deserves an 8, but thats it) isnt being critical enough.

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526

Invert your scores and you have my review.

Longevity ... the fun wore out before pre-release ended .. i didn't even sub.

This review is so off, i will never take you seriously again.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

I wouldn't say crafting is fun, but very convenient in that I'm not staring at a progress bar. I send my companion away to do the actual crafting while i occupy my time doing actual fun stuff. So, I guess that makes crafting fun since my characters is not the one actually crafting... I actually think a score within the 8s is fair.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

8.7 IMO is too high for this game. I play the game, enjoy it and will sub to it. But to give this game an 8.7 in its current state is hurting the credibility of the reviewer ( in my eyes ).

Its because of scores like this that many people dont bother with so called " reviews ". If the reviewer likes the game and is a fan then thats all good, but at least be realistic with the many flaws of ToR.

I know its the " in " thing to cry paid review when someone disagrees, but an 8.7? Really? The list of Pro's and Con's dont add up either. I understand being a fan and all, but when I saw 8.7 i was LOLWUT!!

And I am a fan. In its current state 7.0 at best. When they bring it up to par with other MMO's released in the past 5 years then maybe an 8.7.

Just my opinion tho.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by teakbois

Of course 8.7 is too high. But Rift got an 8.6.  They backed themselves into a corner with that one and had to give it better than Rift, its simply a lot more fun of a game.  The scores and reviews from this site (and most sites) are meaningless.  Any site that has given any mmorpg since WoW over an 8 (*maybe* EoF or RoK era EQ2 deserves an 8, but thats it) isnt being critical enough.

RIFT was reviewed prior to our change in review policy and format and its score was not factored into my scores whatsoever.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Another user posted:

"SW:TOR is an excellent single player game, but a terrible MMO."

I cannot agree more.

My review would give it a plain 5.0

• Nightmaare3Nightmaare3 Member Posts: 4

Ok heres my review

The game is awesome, it runs smooth plays great. The cutscenes are really cool makes me feel like im more involved. Classes are great too, love getting away from the medeival crap thats in all games. Crafting is new and pretty cool, only thing is you go through alot of money sending your companion out to harvest and craft :P The game for me is a 9.5   ...

And for all your idiots that are comparing it to WoW, or saying its just like WoW, or its an upgraded WoW.. just stfu already lol.. Its obvious its going to be like WoW.. All MMORPGs are going to be like WoW, just because WoW came out before all these new MMO games doesnt mean they copied it or are exactly like it you wow fiends get over it and enjoy the game man jeez all of these mmos are similar mainly because they are in the MMORPG genre?!? lol get real

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by teakbois

Are you comparing it WoW? or are you comparing it to WoW: Cataclysm. TOR is competing with Cataclysm not Vanilla here guys.

You guys talk about WoW like it is some grand mmo. All I here coming out of that game since I left 2 years ago is constant misery, rage, and people fed up with blizzard putting content in the cash faster then they put it in the game.

Yes against Vanilla no chance 9/10 for WoW, but against Cataclsym which is a 5 at best TOR stomps. Hell Rift even stomps Cataclysm with a 7 or 8.

I do agree with the posters who say if you are going to list so many negative then it should be more like a 7, but that is being too critical. I got the game and it is not too bad.

• JarazarJarazar Member Posts: 231

Nice write-up MikeB! I agree with just about everything you said. And...I believe that Bioware will do whatever it takes to make this the new king of mmo's.

If a hater falls out of his computer chair and no one hears it...does it make a sound?

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

By the way, to any and all of you who disagree with our score. Why not write your own review here? ;)