Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forum Posting Disabled on Patch Day?

It would seem that the guys at Bioware don't want us posting during patchday..

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=127724

They've disabled posting temporarily.... no explaination given.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying SWTOR, I didn't act like a headless chicken and race for 50, instead I'm playing 4 characters (2 republic and 2 empire) and having fun, but the game has some issues, PvP is hugely unbalanced atm and endgame appears to be lacking, hence no rush to get there.

Anyway since it's patch day it's time to dust off my World of Tanks account and go tank hunting for a day!

“Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
― Terry PratchettMaking Money

Comments

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Originally posted by vorpal28

Now don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying SWTOR, I didn't act like a headless chicken and race for 50, instead I'm playing 4 characters (2 republic and 2 empire) and having fun, but the game has some issues, PvP is hugely unbalanced atm and endgame appears to be lacking, hence no rush to get there.

Anyway since it's patch day it's time to dust off my World of Tanks account and go tank hunting for a day!

Following in Mythic's footsteps.

/sigh

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

At least they ddid not take the forums completely down which is what they have been done on previous patch days. Coupled with not bothering to do EU maintenance off peak /shakeshead....the force is piss weak in BioWare.

• VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348

oh, why what happened with Mythic (the guy's behind DAoC right?)

“Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
  • fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

There are deathly afraid that when people can't access the game during patching that they will take time to post on the forums about the things they dislike. They aren't the first to do this, but I think they are the first to prove it's deliberate by keeping the forums up, (showing that maintenance doesn't actually require the forums to be taken down), while blocking posting.

That they seem to assume that the periods will result in negative posts, rather than positive ones, may provide some insight into how they feel the game is working out.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• jurupajurupa Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by fiontar

That they seem to assume that the periods will result in negative posts, rather than positive ones, may provide some insight into how they feel the game is working out.

I think that may be the case.  Seems to be they, Mytic, didn't learn from WAR and repeating things again it seems from what I been reading.  All they are doing is adding fuel to the fire really.  Their community relations so far has been crappy to say the least, tho I can't say I am that surprise as this is EA we are talking about, the least gamer friendly company after all.  Tho one would think EA would put more effort into this game seeing how much money they put into it.

• lovehina21lovehina21 Member UncommonPosts: 56

Whats the point of making pvp servers if we still have to turn on flag to pvp?

Whats the point of having contested planets if i  cant attack opposing guards  to take over an outpost,  they auto full heal.

Whats the point of going back to planets after lvl 50 if the best gear comes from Dailys

whats the point of open world pvp if there is no reason to go do pvp on the planets.

Why advertise the game as SITH vs JEDI. and then keep us separated forever.

Whats the point of making pvp servers if all the lvl 50 content is on the fleet?

I wish they told us this game was an RPG, with que'ing pvp only. and lots of quests.

i signed up to own some jedi or sith which ever side i choose, NOT to kill npc's and repeat same quests every day.

= Scent to bed =

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

WEll BW might have a good idea, I mean I get it that some things suck, but posting 500 pages and 100000000 different threads on how staggered access sucks is not really needed.

And same goes for now, dont need 10000000 threads on the same topic of the same few complaints, we get that the UI and PVP and bugs need work, and I am sure BW does as well. 

And maybe if people could have more civilized discussions and add more to a topic other then OMFG my Sith Jugg is soooo broken , and say more really dosnt serve the purpose of what forums are for.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Where did this msg come from?  I can post just fine.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by fiontar

There are deathly afraid that when people can't access the game during patching that they will take time to post on the forums about the things they dislike. They aren't the first to do this, but I think they are the first to prove it's deliberate by keeping the forums up, (showing that maintenance doesn't actually require the forums to be taken down), while blocking posting.

DId you ever pay attention to EQ servers when the game was down prior to WOW hitting?

Back around Luclin, and then Planes of Power, that shit used to be nuts on boards. They say the game will be up at X time, then it takes X plus an extra hr or two, and shit was unmerciful.

I would do the exact same thing. MMOs tend to generate a fair share of drama queens. They look for reasons to bitch, and one only needs to read this site for evidence of such.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Originally posted by lovehina21

Whats the point of having contested planets if i  cant attack opposing guards  to take over an outpost,  they auto full heal.

Whats the point of going back to planets after lvl 50 if the best gear comes from Dailys

whats the point of open world pvp if there is no reason to go do pvp on the planets.

Whats the point of making pvp servers if all the lvl 50 content is on the fleet?

I wish they told us this game was an RPG, with que'ing pvp only. and lots of quests.

i signed up to own some jedi or sith which ever side i choose, NOT to kill npc's and repeat same quests every day.

+1

Originally posted by Entropy14

WEll BW might have a good idea, I mean I get it that some things suck, but posting 500 pages and 100000000 different threads on how staggered access sucks is not really needed.

And same goes for now, dont need 10000000 threads on the same topic of the same few complaints, we get that the UI and PVP and bugs need work, and I am sure BW does as well. 

And maybe if people could have more civilized discussions and add more to a topic other then OMFG my Sith Jugg is soooo broken , and say more really dosnt serve the purpose of what forums are for.

But but but.....my Jedi is broken. His damn light/dark meter switched to displaying decimal places, rather than simply showing integer values.

Still waiting on that one.  Not game breaking, so not worried about it. 

Had some items get lost in an email I sent to one of my characters. Reported it, and within about 18 hrs the stuff was all returned. No clue if server corrected itself, or CS took care of it, but I was happy. Only time I ever got booted to character select in game.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

I love when people say things like "Pvp is hugely unbalanced" but give nothing to back it up..I think pvp has been balanced pretty damn well myself, especially coming from WoW which couldn't balance a carpet on padding.

Originally posted by Zefire

+1

You knew this game was going to be PVE focused, and that PVP had conditions placed upon it. Why in the world are you complaining? If you wanted that FFA environment, it seems like you should be playing a sandbox. /shrug

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

In this early stage of game they know Forums will get overwhelmed if they are open during patch time. Thats why they take them down, they prolly cant handle the stress and might crash.

Sad thing that noboddy knows when things get delayed because the client tells the people to look out for that on the forums.

Luckilly they keep me updated through twitter.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

Whats the point of making pvp servers if we still have to turn on flag to pvp?..Um..you don't. You auto-flag in pvp areas.. 

Whats the point of having contested planets if i  cant attack opposing guards  to take over an outpost,  they auto full heal ? Contested in no way means "Everything is fair game" this, I mean even in UO you couldn't kill guards..wth do you want ?

Whats the point of going back to planets after lvl 50 if the best gear comes from Dailys exploration ? fun ? holocrons ? datacrons ? pvp in the dune sea ? helping others ? finishing up other quests ? Or do you play only to be super elite ? (Gear farming in other words)

whats the point of open world pvp if there is no reason to go do pvp on the planets. The point is you should be doing it for fun..I mean seriously you're complaining because they didn't add enough incentives to do it ? Then obviously you don't really want to....That's like saying "I enjoy eating cake, but since there's no toy at the bottom of the cake, I dont want to eat cake anymore.."

Why advertise the game as SITH vs JEDI. and then keep us separated forever. Just..not true..lol

Whats the point of making pvp servers if all the lvl 50 content is on the fleet? I don't even understand this question..wtf is Ilum then ? 

I wish they told us this game was an RPG, with que'ing pvp only. and lots of quests They said from the start this was a story driven (RPG) game, they said there would be open world pvp, there is, they said there would be qued pvp..there is..Sounds like you just werent listening.

i signed up to own some jedi or sith which ever side i choose, NOT to kill npc's and repeat same quests every day.  So..que for warfronts, camp the Dune sea and other large open pvp areas..don't do dailys ? I mean it's not like anyone is telling you you can't play the game that way..sounds like you're just whining to whine.

okay, so u go do that, cuz i spent hours wandering around the dune seas and i saw 1 jedi in 2 hours. 

and my server is ALWAYS que'ed up.  and u you do not auto que in pvp contested areas. i have been partied with people who have blue names and are not flaged.

u ment the law less area, , only there u auto flag.

and no, i play the game how i want to play. not how u say i should play it. thats why i picked a pvp server, i dont want to quest, i dont want to help others, i want to pvp with my guildies, there is no one to fight. and sometimes they just run into an instance.  but we spend hours looking for 1 jedi, god dam it.

and of course im in a pvp server. if i wanted to play ur way i would be in a pve server.

and obiously i do war fronts, thats all i do .... and its boring cuz i cant even party with my guild  and use ventrilo to decimate the other party.

(max 4pl can que as a group.  war fronts are 8)

and again contested area, u should be able to take the outpost.  because the area is CONTESTED.  or did i miss something here?  CUZ you tell me what is being "contested"

if u wanna be safe go to ur fleet.  if ur in a contested planet , not so contested if all the outpost are in god mode.  in reality there is NOTHING being contested. 

now do u get my point?

= Scent to bed =

Originally posted by evianwater

okay, so u go do that, cuz i spent hours wandering around the dune seas and i saw 1 jedi in 2 hours. 

and my server is ALWAYS que'ed up.  and u you do not auto que in pvp contested areas. i have been partied with people who have blue names and are not flaged.

u ment the law less area, , only there u auto flag.

{mod edit}

{mod edit}

= Scent to bed =

• Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

In this early stage of game they know Forums will get overwhelmed if they are open during patch time. Thats why they take them down, they prolly cant handle the stress and might crash.

Sad thing that noboddy knows when things get delayed because the client tells the people to look out for that on the forums.

Luckilly they keep me updated through twitter.

But the forums are up?

• AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274

da trolls cometh on the forums during patch/maint down times......thats why the forums disabled

• VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348

Originally posted by evianwater

I love when people say things like "Pvp is hugely unbalanced" but give nothing to back it up..I think pvp has been balanced pretty damn well myself, especially coming from WoW which couldn't balance a carpet on padding.

Sorry I didn't give an example, ok how about Gunslingers being able to 3 shot anyone? thats abit unbalanced in my book

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

When it's patch day the forums just go crazy and become trollfests so I agree shut them down.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

What's the point in keeping the forum accessible when we can't search anyway.

The only thing we can do is read thread by thread, page by page.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

{mod edit}The forums are not down.  Click the link yourself.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.