Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: Ask Cryptic Your Questions About Neverwinter!

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

The fine folks over at Perfect World and Cryptic have agreed to take on ten of your best questions concerning Neverwinter, so we're asking you to lay them on us!  We'll only be taking questions for a short time, then compiling the top 10 to send to the developers so get them in ASAP!

Just reply to this post with the question you'd like to ask Cryptic Studios about their upcoming Neverwinter MMO, and we'll get the answers back from the developers as soon as they can lift their heads from working on the game.  Ask away, and keep it civil and about the game at hand, folks!  We'll close the thread once we have what we need, so post quickly!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Noooooot sure I like where they're going with this game. But, it's Cryptic so....lol.

Edit: where did the rest of my post go? Anyway, question:

Why did the style of the game flip-flop so much? First I heard it was MMO, then it was a single-player Co-op, now it's an MMO again. Exactly what is this game going to be?

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258

What the art style is like? Is it gonna be cartoony or stylized (please no) or like other cryptic games (again, please no) and is it going to be a proper mmo or just an online game with half-assed mmo mechanics for easy cash grab? Finally, is it a farily big budget production like the ip deserves?

• cattywhompuscattywhompus Member Posts: 52

What do you see as the stand-out features of this game?  If I'm walking down the software aisle and I see all the tons of MMO's available at the time of release, what will set this one apart?

Disclaimer:  I've never played any of the Neverwinter games and know next to nothing about the IP beyond that it is linked to D&D.  I'm genuinely coming from the noob side of the aisle on this one...

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

My Question:

Is Cryptic going to sell a life-time subscription to this game?

My thoughts: 

I figure they've stuck it to enough of us they may get a D&D nerd to fall for their "life-time" subs that QUICKLY turn into F2P mush.

• KizzattaKizzatta Member Posts: 59

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Noooooot sure I like where they're going with this game. But, it's Cryptic so....lol.

Why did the style of the game flip-flop so much? First I heard it was MMO, then it was a single-player Co-op, now it's an MMO again. Exactly what is this game going to be?

This game is going to be an MMOWZ (Massive Multiplayer Online Wallet Zapper), just like all other Perfect World Entertainment publishings. You will do better and spend less in a P2P game. :)

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Is this going to be a sandbox or a themepark?

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• illorionillorion Member Posts: 467

Are you going to use a class based system like in Neverwinter nights or are you going to use a skill based system like UO?

"Don't mistake a fun game for a good game... Checkers is fun to play but its not exactly the highest point of gaming design... and definatly not worth $60 plus $15 a month"

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

How many different keybinds are going to be required to play effectively.  IE will it be 20+ like in SWTOR and WoW, and will the game be playable effectively with a gamepad?

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484

Cryptic... this is a very popular and well known IP to vintage gamers... How bad are you going to mess it up?

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

When is this game going to be more than a title so we actually know enough to ask questions?

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by Kizzatta

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

This game is going to be an MMOWZ (Massive Multiplayer Online Wallet Zapper), just like all other Perfect World Entertainment publishings. You will do better and spend less in a P2P game. :)

Actually I played my way to endgame in both Rusty Hearts and Forsaken World without buying anything (actually, slight lie, I bought a pretty coat costume for my priest in FW), and so far none of Cryptic's games have gone the route of money gouging, so at the moment I'm not worried about that. I just want to know what kind of game I can expect. It's Neverwinter so, anyone who says they aren't interested even a little bit is lying, but Cryptic's flip-flopping is nothing short of worrisome. I've played more than one game that didn't know what it wanted to be. Never fun.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• DistShadowDistShadow Member Posts: 1

Can we expect to see similar support for player-generated content in the new Neverwinter game, as we have had in the previous titles, to allow players to create their own persistent gaming worlds?

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Will the game be released with a lack of playable content like STO and CO but get frequent additions to the C-Store?

Will the game sell for half price after 30 days?

Will the amazing Cryptic Marketing department try to offer extra free game time if I dont purchase on launch day like they tried to do with STO?

Will all the store exclusives be for sale in the c-store a few weeks after launch?

Will the C-Store have pay-to-win items like it does in STO?

Will there be any need to group since there was really no purpose to fleets and groups in the other Cryptic games at launch?

Will it use the same game engine that has powered your other two wonderful MMO's?

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

Why should I buy the game?

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Originally posted by Talonsin

Will the game be released with a lack of playable content like STO and CO but get frequent additions to the C-Store?

Will the game sell for half price after 30 days?

Will the amazing Cryptic Marketing department try to offer extra free game time if I dont purchase on launch day like they tried to do with STO?

Will all the store exclusives be for sale in the c-store a few weeks after launch?

Will the C-Store have pay-to-win items like it does in STO?

Will there be any need to group since there was really no purpose to fleets and groups in the other Cryptic games at launch?

Will it use the same game engine that has powered your other two wonderful MMO's?

This, this, this...in addition to "are you going to try to ruin...er develop this title in 2 years like you did with CO/STO and ruin it as well?"

As much as I love Neverwinter I will most likely not touch this title until after it has been out for a length of time, and proven not to be the scam production that CO and STO were from the Cryptic MMO mill.

Cryptics rep in the MMO world is pretty much dirt right now IMO, second(a very close second) only to SoE.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• Chivalry1978Chivalry1978 Member Posts: 184

Is this game gonna be a gw1 clone with a dnd reskin and dynamix.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

What are you thoughts on the implementation of the D&D ruleset in both Bioware's NWN games and DDO? Will your ruleset be very similar to the original D&D rules, or will you be making changes to accommodate your vision of the game? Which D&D ruleset will you be using?

What is your core design philosophy, and how does that relate to the D&D ruleset and the Neverwinter campaign setting?

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• VryheidVryheid Member UncommonPosts: 469

It seems like one of the major complaints I hear from veteran gamers is that fantasy MMOs tend to rehash standard racial archetypes (orcs, dwarves, elves, etc). Will this game have a wider variety of classes to choose from?

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

I would love to learn more about the available classes and races.  Any chance we can get a sneak peak in the near future?

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Originally posted by WhySoShort

When is this game going to be more than a title so we actually know enough to ask questions?

• elrik95elrik95 Member UncommonPosts: 4

Is the foundry going to be available to free players, or will there be a charge for it's use?

• aferretaferret Member Posts: 1

This got a little longer than I thought it would. 

How similar to DDO will Neverwinter be in respect to:

cash shop items

(I hear consumable items which I always avoid but actually useful and game experience enhancing (ie races and classes and veteran status characters) and special deals and sales have made DDO pretty much the only F2P MMO that I've spent money on. Also I think it's a good idea to have some things unlockable for free in some way like DDO does with Favor. Any thoughts on things being aquirable both ways?

combat

(I hear it will be similar to Vindictus, which sounds good)

classes and leveling

(including ability, feat, and spell selection at creation and while leveling, and also curious about options and process for multiclassing, or, at a very basic level: will multiclassing be included as an option)

for reference I really like DDO and if this is essentially a d&d 4.0 version of it set in a different locale, I will be very much on board. (since it's f2p I'll most likely be quite on board regardless)

this one is more of a general question than comparing it to existing MMOs.

expected scope

D&D contains tons of options for characters so you obviously can't include every race, class, ability, and feat. Any estimates on the number of classes or races available (at launch and/or in the future) and maybe an approximate percentage of the massive number of feats, spells and abilities available already in 4.0?

obviously with this still being fairly early in development I don't expect you to be able to reveal or even know conclusively your plans anyway, but any specific goals you want to achieve when designing these things would be cool to know.

• Knowing how players in general are attracted to shiney stuff, how will you prevent user-made content from overflowing with gold and vorpal long swords?

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

looking at these questions maybe it was a bad idea to have  a Q&A session lol..my main concern is amount of content..will there be enough to see us guys thru for a while?

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404

It's going to be  DnD based game most notably it will follow the 4e rules unlike DDO.

gaeanprayer Why did the style flip flop? It flip floped because Perfect Wolrd Entertainment bought Cryptic from Atari.  YAY

black_isle Hopefully it wont have WoW like art, or they WILL lose many dnd fans

cattywhompus Its main appeal is that it IS a DnD game and supposedly the guys at cryptic are following the core 4e rules rather closely

Ikeda Lifetime subscription? I highly doubt it as it was pretty much announced as F@P which is in line with PWE games

illorion If we are not being lied to it will be class based just like in the rules for 4e DnD

adam_nox I doubt it will play like Wow or Swtor and as such wont need that many binds. Last news was it would have "Vindictus style" control or gameplay which has me feeling dubious...

DexterMMO I played STO so im really scared to think about that...btw i would love a dexter mmo as well :)

WhySoShort Soon or hopefully this year sometime !

DistShadow From my understanding this is a new game called "Neverwinter Online" and not really "Neverwinter Nights 3" or Online. Because of the changes in Fearun post spell plague. Much has changed in the land and R A salvatore's invovlement in setting up what Neverwinter is now like compared to pre spell plague so this is the name they chose. The timeline has jumped ahead 100 years in 4e.

To the point it will use a modified version of the foundry from STO we are told. I highly doubt we will be able to "create" our "own" worlds just put dungeons/quests in the one they create.

Talonsin Can't answer most of what you want to know :) Its suppose to be f2p so no buying im guessing though that could change, as to the grouping question i would highly think so, if they are following the dnd rules n spirit, you dont play DnD to solo stuff.

Destai   You most likely won't need to "buy" the game at all.

Einherjar_LC  Hopefully with them owned by PWE we will see some improvements. The game was reportedly almost ready to go before PWE bought cryptic and decided it was goin to be MMORPG and that is why the 1 year delay, hopefully that means they are working hard to improve it.

Chivalry1978 Since it is based on dnd 4e it should be a much different beast than GW1

Leodious It will follow the 4edition rules unlike ddo that follows the 3.5e "turbine" ruleset. They are supposedly sticking rather close to the 4e rules and as to the setting, well look at RA salvatore's new Neverwinter series.

Vryheid, MadDemon64 There's suppose to be 5 classes available at launch, wizard, fighter, rogue, cleric and ranger. Don't know about races, I would like to learn more about this too.

elrik95 Hopefully it will be free but don't know they will have to sell and make money somehow as it suppose to be f2p.

What i want to know is how they will handle death will they follow the RAW and as such can we see charatcers perma die. This is something i really want to know as it usually handled differently by each DM in PnP DnD

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

This discussion has been closed.