Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR - viable for long term ?

spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

The story is cool and its fun to quest with a character even you dont need any other players for that, only for some flashpoints and elite quests. Flashpoints for gear makes not much sense since you get pvp gear very easy.

For lvl 50ies only 2 new  Flashpoints are available.....all the others are repeatable on hard/nightmare which you have done already before.

There are just 3 tiny Battlegrounds with 8v8 and over 60% you play the Hutball map. ILLUM pvp is none existent so far on my server  aswell world pvp. Some were talking about "wow killer", I have to giggle about that when I remember Alterac Valley 24/7 fights several yearas ago...that was epic and massive multiplayer.

This game is more a short time expirience than a long term mmorpg....

Comments

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

For you it might be. For others it may be long term. No real way to tell for sure because we have no idea at this point what Bioware's schedule will be for adding new content. So like I said to the mmorpg write that tackled this issue it is way too early to say for sure one way or the other.

Although I will say for those that enjoy focusing on PvP or crafting this probably won't be a long term choice for them.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Well, yes pvp is for me important since only 2 Flashpoints for raids at lvl 50 wont hold me for longer...btw I think bioware did underestimate the importance for pvp content. Thats a big point in todays mmorpgs.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

All games start pretty low on end game content. You got to give the benefit of the doubt that more will be added.

For me though, I just don't see it being very great in the long term. Sure, I admire a focus on story, but they pretty much slacked on the important aspects of an MMo to do so. You can't have a game rush for end game when your not going to be doing much to support it. The story parts will get old quickly after doing it a dozen times. Gameplay is, lets admit it, very generic. They would need a pretty big revamp and additional content to make the game shine in the long term. Then again, going f2p could also end up working as well. It lowers expectations and could rake in money. I have a feeling they might go to that formula, after they rake in as much profit as possible from subscription to outweigh the big flow of money from selling customization in f2p (Ah, the limited character customization makes sense now, huh? )

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

haha i have already lasted longer then i have in any pure themepark including WoW so for me its already been long term and im still having fun.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428

Yeah, the game has been out for 2 weeks, so yes, level 50 PvP is going to be a little empty yet.  That says nothing about the long-term viability of the game.  Nor does comparing it to WoW's end game that was developed over years after it was released.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I think for me it will last a while. I am only level 23 with 29 hours of play time, because I'm actually taking my time to do story quests, and craft and explore. But 29 hours on a themepark being boasted as a wow clone is a lot of time for me to enjoy it, so I assume if it keeps being fun for me, and they add content regularly than it certainly is viable for long term play.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I don't think it will be very viable long term for many people.  For the reasons you said in your OP and also just the fact that world is pretty dull.  IMO, one of the reasons people stay in MMORPGs is because the world is interesting and lifelike, it's somewhere they want to be.  For the most part, I felt like SWTOR's world was pretty dull.  Games like WoW and EQ had a much more interesting world IMO.

Note, I am sure some folks will really enjoy SWTOR for a long time, I'm not saying it won't be viable for anyone.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Hmm lets see, I started playing through early access so over 5 days early.  I play everyday for at least 4 hours and on weekends closer to 8 and I am only at level 29.

It seems to me people have blasted through the content and are now sitting at 50 bored.  I estimate it will be another 1.5 to 2 months before Im max level.

Lets face it most have eaten 2 months worth of food in 7 days and are now complaining there is nothing left to eat, I on the other hand will be greated with a rather large content update for end game even before I get there.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

If they work hard enough and surprise everyone in the coming couple of months, who knows? At the moment it doesn't look like it will hold players but maybe they'll surprise.

imageimage
  • DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

I am assuming the next content patch will have extra flashpoints and PvP improvements/content. I am not going to spend time rolling every of the classes just because.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Iam talking about the game right now not about speculations about the future...nobody knows what will come in some months. =)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I think it depends on how quickly one levels.

for players who are rushing toward an end game then "yes" not going to do it. For players who are more casual it could very well last for a bit.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I think for the average gamer TOR offers plenty of content to be viable for quite a long time...

For those that already have multiple level 50 toons and have rushed through every ounce of content Bioware releases, of course it won't be enough to satisfy them. Then again, most games aren't. Gamers like that are too extreme to be satisfied with any new game at release.

People need to remember that it took WoW 7 years to build the amount of end-game content it has now. It is not an easy thing to do at release. Fortunately I know for a fact that Bioware is scrambling right now to get more end-game content released as fast as possible...

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

At this point, I don't see it. 

SWTOR seems to me to be a mass-produced, over-expensive, tiny amount of beautifully presented but cheap tasting food. Gone in one bite, too.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• ZhauricZhauric Member UncommonPosts: 292

Honestly, that's pretty good for right now. Saying long term means you can not exclude the simple fact more will obviously be added. Upon release you can't expect a ton of flashpoints, ops or warzones. It just doesn't really happen in any MMO. What you judge is the base and foundation of the MMO. Does it have something to build upon? And then you try and see what is the focus of the developer. How much are they truely putting into the game? Can we trust them to add to it or not? A lot may depend on how quickly do they roll out that 'big' patch that truely has an impact on gameplay. If they take too long then you definitely see something happen amongst the playerbase.

For now I am satisfied with what I see for the foundation of the game. If certain issues seem to remain all into another month or two then I will grow more skeptical. I like seeing a certain level of committment by a developer so in the end it really remains to be seen.

Just like you say you giggled at the idea of WoW Killer (a term I still think is rather played out and silly) when you thought back about those AV matches, you do realize they didn't have that upon release? In fact, pvp was an after thought. Molten Core came later as well. In other words, you have to give it that chance to update and grow. If they take too long then you begin to question.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Originally posted by Sovrath

for players who are rushing toward an end game then "yes" not going to do it. For players who are more casual it could very well last for a bit.

THis.

I watch a ton of game streaming on TWitch.Tv and those level 50s farming pvp and doing the limited raid content already seem bored out of thier minds.

However, casuals and hardcore alt-rollers are having an amazing time with SWTOR.

Most of the people in my guild are hardly in the twenty bracket and they all plan on leveling two or three classes. Those guys/gals will be playing for the next year or so.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Z3R01

THis.

I watch a ton of game streaming on TWitch.Tv and those level 50s farming pvp and doing the limited raid content already seem bored out of thier minds.

However, casuals and hardcore alt-rollers are having an amazing time with SWTOR.

Most of the people in my guild are hardly in the twenty bracket and they all plan on leveling two or three classes. Those guys/gals will be playing for the next year or so.

Case in point, I've played a few marathon sessions but mostl play casually  and I'm about 23 going on 24.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by spizz

Iam talking about the game right now not about speculations about the future...nobody knows what will come in some months. =)

So, just to make sure I understand you, you are asking about how a game will perform in the future in terms of retention, but are not allowing anyone to talk about future improvements and content added to the game?

Sounds to me like you already have your mind made up, and don't want anyone actually providing any real counters to your piss-poor reasoning.  

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Originally posted by Z3R01

THis.

Case i point, I've played a few marathon sessions but mostl play casually  and I'm about 23 going on 24.

Like an idiot i got into hardcore power gamer mode and leveled a commando to 40. It was completly unsatisfying experience. due to pvp i made quests green, due to impatience i skipped group quests and flash points. Obviously this was my mistake.

So I started over and my main is  now level 16 lol. I left that hardcore guild (that already had one foot out the door back to WoW) and joined some old casuals. Im having a really good time.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• nachofootnachofoot Member UncommonPosts: 122

Originally posted by pharazonic

At this point, I don't see it. 

SWTOR seems to me to be a mass-produced, over-expensive, tiny amount of beautifully presented but cheap tasting food. Gone in one bite, too.

Same reason I left DCUO.  Played one month, made max level and equipment, quit.  There really was nothing else to do besides dailies and pvp battlegrounds.  I loathe pvp battlegrounds.

Since most pvp is huttball, that's kind of sad.  When this game goes on deep discount with new content, I'll consider getting it.  It should take me about a month to get where all the fanboys will be.  Right now, its not worth my time.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

Unless bioware kicks things up a notch, I really don't think so:

1. The game relies waay too much on story gameplay (i.e. main and class storylines) and not enough on the repeatable content.

2. Content is going to be very expensive to produce in comparison to non-voiced MMO's. 

3. PvP has many issues preventing from forming a hardcore PvP community.