Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Retail Sales Plummet in the UK

12346»

Comments

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    It was released on the 20th.. Then we had a week of bank holidays in the UK (days when all shops are shut and no post ) and oh look, not many people bought it. Gosh, there's a surprise!! This is a non- story.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• ArpatArpat Member UncommonPosts: 27

i have played swtor since 20 december and it's the first game that i like after eve-online. I like to be able to do a lot of things solo. (yep i'm a online solo player)  if i need help i ask a friend. I have no clue why people want ti rush to lvl 50. probably because they did so in wow. i like the story and look & feel.

I'm a clicker (laugh at me) use the keyboard all wrong, hitting the wrong keys at the wrong (or sometimes right time) don't understand cycles and mess them up because i get exited. I admit i'm hopless. Still i have played many hours (60-70 or so) and yes, i'm still struggling at level 40.

i also played skyrim, but i have no clue to what to do in that game (i lost the big picture) i had the same problem with oblivion. so i got bored and left. some annoying graphical weird things also annoyed me.

i hope they add more content (i see they have enough thoughts about additional content if i look at the cartoon-tv-show "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" so i guess lvl 50 isn't important to me. Great storylines and adventure with great graphics (not those awfull looking ugly things in wow) does it for me.

I still hope that the game will have a steady player base and good progress in time without getting the same gameplay as in wow. Like the discussion about "we need mods"... if i want a automated game i would watch a movie. easy gameplay, no keyboard needed and you always win.

Since i like the game it will probably crash and burn... i hope that the drastically drop in box sales isn't going to be the start of it. I will not move to wow, since it also has monthly payments and i don't like the graphics.

i just realised: OMG i actually wrote a post!   

• Not surprised as there is not a single MMo out there that has maintained their launch sales for several weeks or let alone any game that maintains its launch day sales. That is the reason for the online passes and DLC coming out in droves these days as developers are trying to money grab in anyway possible. I am actually surprised this is even news as it seems like it would be common sense by now on video game sales.

• BirksBirks Member Posts: 7

No tv commercials is probably also a factor, the only commercials i´ve see where when they released the pre-orders. BF3 have had lots of tv time.

• Wotan1105Wotan1105 Member Posts: 7

lol at people comparing a MMO with a monthly subscription fee to Skyrim or BF3

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by itgrowls

Originally posted by pharazonic

It's downhill from here ;)

that's exactly what i was thinking HA. so much for the WoW killer. People are already at level 50 and crying for more end game content of which the devs haven't even started yet. Not gonna have a good first six months without longevity.

Not to mention the lack of brackets, which resulted in lvl 50s in full PVP gear roflstomping anyone sub 35.

Also the graphics are worse than RIFT and even AoC; literally WoW 2.0 graphics here people.

____ My Standards

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

____Your Standards

A decent gaming rig costs no more than $600 USD if you know when to shop and how to combo. You can't afford that? Fine, but don't complain how you can't play any of the new games.

You know how many people were bitching about BF3 requiring "monster rigs" just to play. God, those people were retarded to think their machines (no upgrades) from XP-days (aka 10yrs ago) would run the game flawlessly.

WTB: High res texture packs for SWTOR; surely Bioware didn't do all their 'stock art' in 512x512 resolution.

(inb4peoplesaygraphicsaregreatchecksetting)

(inb4ireplysayingeverythingsonmax)

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

My local computer stores don't sell PC games anymore. Its all console games. The shops I am talking about are Game. Gamestation and HMV. PC world has one shelf of old pc games that are about 3 to 10 years old.

I have to buy all my PC games via digital or pre-order from Game UK, Amazon or Play.com.

Also the game needs a high resolution patch added to it. As it stands it already looks very dated.

• LinaInversaLinaInversa Member CommonPosts: 66

Its becouse the game isent that great, its just an ok mmo.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Originally posted by Aguitha

Box sale means nothing in a MMO. It's all about retention.  Doesnt matter if you sell 10 millions boxes if in 6 months there is 25k players left.

/this

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• deuxitdeuxit Member Posts: 3

As a person that can only play 3-4 hours a month I'm waiting for it to go f2p

• CopenhagenCopenhagen Member UncommonPosts: 57

Well,

I don't know about numbers all that much.

I beta tested this game as really wanted to buy it, but I'm just broke right now.  So, I can't afford it at the moment.  I might buy it when my finances return to normal, if something else that I'm not interested in more comes out by then...(Planet Side 2, Fire Fall).

Althought, I don't buy box copies anymore anyway.  (I live in the US, maybe it's just different here) It is a lot easier for me to buy online.  It's a lot easier to buy anything online these days.

Used to I went to Gamestop a lot, but they don't carry hardly any PC games anymore. Plus, a lot of the PC Stores like Circut City, and Comp USA that we had here went out of business.

The only real computer store to go to anymore is BestBuy.

Most of the PC world is "Online" these days ...at least I would think.  I know I am.  I order everything I buy online, except food and gas...lol

• C04LC04L Member UncommonPosts: 22

didnt bioware say they were limiting box sales aswell to make it easier amongst other things to log in the game?

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by BigCountry

Originally posted by Aguitha

Box sale means nothing in a MMO. It's all about retention.  Doesnt matter if you sell 10 millions boxes if in 6 months there is 25k players left.

/this

Sorry, but If I were an EA investor and had to choose between 2 million units and 500k subs vs 10 million units sold and 25K subs. It wouldn't even be a nano second of thougt. Containing costs or shutting down a product means little to an investor if he/she has already made a profit on the initial venture.

• c4viper1c4viper1 Member UncommonPosts: 28

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Originally posted by itgrowls

Originally posted by pharazonic

It's downhill from here ;)

that's exactly what i was thinking HA. so much for the WoW killer. People are already at level 50 and crying for more end game content of which the devs haven't even started yet. Not gonna have a good first six months without longevity.

The game wasn't targeted at power gamers.  Their cries will fall on deaf ears and the rest of us will be more than happy to see them leave and darken someone else's digital door.  Gotta love power gamers whining about lack of content for their play style in a casual game.  If they're stupid enough to buy that kind of game, then they deserve all the unpleasantness they get.

P.S.  In the scheme of things, I don't think it really matters if this game dethrones WoW.  It's already a success and if it maintains that success, then the rest of it doesn't really matter at all.

i cant even begin to explain how much i agree with you ...

• bisurgebisurge Member UncommonPosts: 168

I saw this coming. Most people interested in this game found out about it, probably through the internet. That's why sales beat expectations by a long shot for the first few weeks. But after that, people who wanted it got it... and people aren't going to really find out more about it. Unlike World of Warcraft, which spread through word of mouth due to the relatively low (I mean relatively) amount of internet users in 2005, SWTOR doesn't have the benefit of attracting gamers not connected to the internet because that demographic is now almost non-existant.

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

did they expect that SWTOR will be in top 10 for a year? This game has been teasing everyone for 3 years. Its obvious that 2 million people who wanted to play got their game already and been playing since early release.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

[mod edit]

DITTO!!

The ones complaining about no end game content should stop hitting the space bar so much.

• Gither79Gither79 Member UncommonPosts: 55

this game the best scfi-mmo ever made i have been play from start and still playing it. don't matter to me how bad the sale are doing in the UK or US.

i say congratz to George Lucas for makeing star wars this guy is my hero.....