Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Retail Sales Plummet in the UK

Comments

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by shakermaker0

I think this doesn't particularly reflect on the state of Old Republic's success in the UK. Retailers such as GAME and GameStation have been trimming their PC sections for years, to the point where its mostly a shelving space left for Football Manager and The Sims 3: Let's Get New Hats Pack. Boxes just don't seem to shift like they used to, I suppose that's where Steam picks up the slack.

This is so true. I don't even buy PC games in stores anymore because I can't find the ones I want at a reasonable price. Heck, the over day I went to buy Battlefield 3 and the HMV store had huge sections for the respective consolse but I couldn't even find the PC Games section.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Originally posted by rdrpappy

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

OK before everyone gets excited about this remember the charts SBFord is talking about is are cross platform charts and include budget games and ones in sales . I brought a few of these single player games in the sales myself ( loving dead island by the way )

This is the PC game chart from the same website for the 31 st December for full priced games

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110022 

As you can plainly see StarWars ToR is in second place .

Perhaps SBFord should have posted this link as well and researched it a bit better ? It makes a good attention grabbing headline but if wouldn't have seemed half as effective if it have said .

Retails Sales Plummet in the UK StarWars ToR falls to number 2 in the PC game chart .

Those are the facts . The articles just a tad sensationalist ..

That's the norm around here, the game  is clearly ontrack to be the biggest online rpg anywhere and people will try and convince you it's going to be f2p in 2 months.

The miss-information machine rivals North Korea, all because we are talking about millions of subs at stake, you have to go look for yourself to see the 123 North American servers are going to need to be increased yet again due to server population.

It is misleading .

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

i still buy the game box, and if the box includes a map and game manual much better; in the near future, game boxes would be collectibles dude lol

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Not surprising, considering TORcraft offers nothing new. 

I guess it will be the same story as with Dragon age II. People will buy buy buy. Then they will see what they bought and hype will slowly die.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077

Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital SalesDigital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales

[Mod Edit]

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Originally posted by Valentina

Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital SalesDigital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales Digital Sales

[Mod Edit]

Actually given its number 2 in the chart-tracks Full price PC game chart which isnt mentioned by SBFord also given Chart-Track dont appear to offer sales numbers . How can she describe sales as plummeting ? It could simply be like myself lots of people brought a lot of cut price games in the sales and like many people couldn't get hold of a boxed copy of ToR because they sold  out .

[Mod Edit]

• booheadsbooheads Member UncommonPosts: 25

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Lol, is it just me who senses a growing desperation in hanging onto the "physical box sales" bit?

There is no reason whatsoever to assume that box sales and digital sales are not proportional lol. If anything, box sales should keep on longer because the word travels faster on the internet and the DL crowd tend to be more forum savvy than the box people who might lean more to getting their info from the mags.

To put it bluntly, a harassed dad is much more likely to buy a shiny box for his junior who likes those computer games  than some fiddly download thing on the internetz.

As for the mags vs vox pop:

metacritic

critic score: 87

user score: 6.1

Adittionally, box sales are dependent on physical stock being replenished, so many box buyers have to wait till new boxes arrive... while DL buyers don't have problems with supply. If anything, DL purchases should drop much faster than physical ones.

I'm going to assume you weren't baiting, and just were mis-informed.

1. Digital Sales out number boxed now , for PC games.  This grows substantially for later "word of mouth sales". Alot of what you wrote was just wrong.

2. 87% for metacritic is great.  To link metacritic user score is laughable, as 4chan and other sites usually neg bomb games at MC (such as Skyrim and COD). This was done to ToR, there was several threads that proved they had planned to do this for a week.  Mostly troll will use the user-score for MC on forums, or the misinformed.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Yeah..no surprise. Especially since it released just before the holidays. Anyone that has waited has either purchased it themselves and/or recieved or bought it as a gift for others. It's hard to wrap a digital download...looks sloppy.The climactic release of years of anticipation for many. Now its back to business as usual.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by Ravenspen

Suspect swings not corelated with any other data sets is suspect.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

MMO gaming is a niche market.

For every 1 person who salivates at the mouth for this junk, there's a Titanic load of people who don't give two dumps about it.

• Xeno326Xeno326 Member UncommonPosts: 77

Originally posted by Marcelino

My friend buys everything boxed and I buy my games from steam. He says one day in the far future steam will go bust and i wont have access to my games lol Is it possible for a big company like steam to go bust which would make me to loose access to all my games? :/

It's quite possible, I doubt it would go that route though. Some other company would buy up Steam and convert the service to work in their favor.

For example Direct2Drive getting bought out by GameFly. D2D warned users to download and make backups of their games they purchased through D2D just in case when the conversion is done users lose access to their some of their digital downloads online.

But I know with Steam even though you buy the physical copy, some of the games require the steam service to even activate to unlock the game. An example would be CODMW2. It wouldn't have mattered if you bought it physical or digital, you still had to register it via Steam.

I hate the route games are going with digital purchases. Too many companies out there and their digital clients to keep track of the games you buy. It's becoming a hassle as more and more companies go this route. I was just happy with Steam and D2D, but now you have GameStop, GameFly, BioWare and other businesses going this route with their own digital content.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Originally posted by Nethermancer

I wonder how many digital copies they would have sold if they were on steam and put the game for 25% off during chistmas sale

hmmmmmmm

i dislike EA but luckily they shoot them selves in the foot a lot

Haha, I had to laugh a bit while I read that.

I boycot EA now but I had to use their EA Store or whatever they called it at the time twice. (to registrer an expansion TWICE)

It was a horrible experience and I'm sure the gamebeing availeble on Origin ONLY as download hampert sales by a great margin.

Ah EA , you're as moronic as you are evil.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

Originally posted by Xeno326

But I know with Steam even though you buy the physical copy, some of the games require the steam service to even activate to unlock the game. An example would be CODMW2. It wouldn't have mattered if you bought it physical or digital, you still had to register it via Steam.

Skyrim requires me to be online. I tried to start steam in offline mode but had issues.

If there's a way to get around this I'd love to hear it. But it bothers me quite a bit. I prefer buying boxes. I love having all the installation in my hands as opposed to having to download everything again if my hard drive dies or I decide to make space for the present time.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NyQuil81NyQuil81 Member Posts: 101

So in other words, the million or so people who have already purchased the game aren't going out and buying second, third, and fourth copies of the game?  But don't you need to buy the game again each time you want to play an alt?  This spells disaster!

News Flash: Sales are dropping because everyone and their mother has already purchased it!  Move along.

• veratutazzveratutazz Member UncommonPosts: 136

Originally posted by NyQuil81

So in other words, the million or so people who have already purchased the game aren't going out and buying second, third, and fourth copies of the game?  But don't you need to buy the game again each time you want to play an alt?  This spells disaster!

News Flash: Sales are dropping because everyone and their mother has already purchased it!  Move along.

Exactly.

This thread is a bit sad. Doubly so that it is written by someone actually associated with the site.

No

Freakin

Duh.

Guess when pencil sales go up at Wal-Mart? ohmigosh, you got it!!! Right before, and during, the first week of school! Guess when they plummet? A couple of weeks later.

ohmigosh.

obvious logic is

obvious.

• starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230

The reason so many cancelled the box order was because of there grace period crap in the us anyways i know 3 people that cancelled pre order due to Ea's stupidity on the publishing end seriously how they didnt realize to send the box copies out earlier instead of how they did cost them dearly. Call me paranoaid but my gut feeling is they did that get more digital sales with origin with there 5 buck just because fee.

If you think about it makes more sense to get people to download off of origin with thier 5 buck just because fee. I cant prove anything either way but it sure makes sense.

I love the game and will be here for the long haul but i dont like EA bieng involved with bioware. I gaurantee if tor was solely bioware selling it and no EA things would have gone bit differently

• SolarTigerSolarTiger Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by Skuz

Seems quite normal for a newly released game, the early adopters picked it up already & it will now need the media guys to step in to advertise & drum up interest among the wider population.

Word of mouth & a decent campaign should push up overall sales but the overall sales of games trend has been moving towards digital purchase for a while now.

...also, hard to believe, but some folks might be waiting for a price drop and/or patches to come along, which happens with most new games...MMO or otherwise...they're practically giving "Brink" away now and I wager "Rage" is soon to follow

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476

such a wow excuse.. retail sales plumet but it might be because of digital sales lmfao!!!! or it could just be that every one that has been having sleepless nights  and dreams of grandure over this game finally had a crushing blow when they actually got to play it!! and all they have to say now is bad things...

now it doesnt take a genius to work out that negative feedback gets about!! i for one didnt buy swtor after beta purely because my experience and the never ending negative comments from the so called swtor lovers.

im no hater but i do know a fail game when i see one. the biggest problem with swtor is EA !!! get rid of EA  and then the game might stand a chance. while EA is paying the wage bill the game will suck docky balls  its why space is so shite. its why classes are mirrored its why it feels like your having your hand held through the quests !! it why you dont actually explore you just follow pathes laid out before you.. thats right !!! ITS THE EA calling card. all those worlds and not one of them is actually world size lol.  galaxy is in space so how come space isnt the main defining factor of swtor ???? it doesnt make sence for it to be just a crappy little mini game.. in all the films which are the main and one and only true point of reference for the starwars saga , space is the main stage where everything is set and played out. panets are in space the cast travel through space and fight in space and spend alot of time in space.. so how come with a starwars game there isnt a great deal of space at all. ???? because they didnt .. correction wasnt allowed to put effort into the most crucial parts of the game.  it is just another wow clone. who the hell wants to sit through hours and hours of voice over in an mmo game. ??? errrr maybe once maybe not even right through to the end game.. oh shit!!!!! did i say end game ???? there we go look another pathetic wow machanic !! end game in an mmo how much more retarded can these online games become..  end game = stop playing play something else  :) end game = ored of swtor.  end game = fed up of the same instances and raids. end game =dont belong in an mmo. mmo's that im used to are persistant living breathing worlds where you have a connection with your charecter and other players in the game world. a reason to log in and something to actually play for.    swtor offers the same thing as wow

gear grind

level grind

pvp arenas

umm and thats about it.

see boreing.

oh sorry i almost forgot instances!! agh shit did i do a swear word!!! im sorry i meant flashpoints :)

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

And so it begins!

No, seriously, it's likely just that most people who would have bought, have already done so. So unless non-SW fans start jumping on the ship, you'll probably see those box sales grind to a halt relatively quickly. That was to be expected. What remains to be seen is the retention rate on the subs.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310

Originally posted by Adamai

such a wow excuse.. retail sales plumet but it might be because of digital sales lmfao!!!! or it could just be that every one that has been having sleepless nights  and dreams of grandure over this game finally had a crushing blow when they actually got to play it!! and all they have to say now is bad things...

now it doesnt take a genius to work out that negative feedback gets about!! i for one didnt buy swtor after beta purely because my experience and the never ending negative comments from the so called swtor lovers.

im no hater but i do know a fail game when i see one. the biggest problem with swtor is EA !!! get rid of EA  and then the game might stand a chance. while EA is paying the wage bill the game will suck docky balls  its why space is so shite. its why classes are mirrored its why it feels like your having your hand held through the quests !! it why you dont actually explore you just follow pathes laid out before you.. thats right !!! ITS THE EA calling card. all those worlds and not one of them is actually world size lol.  galaxy is in space so how come space isnt the main defining factor of swtor ???? it doesnt make sence for it to be just a crappy little mini game.. in all the films which are the main and one and only true point of reference for the starwars saga , space is the main stage where everything is set and played out. panets are in space the cast travel through space and fight in space and spend alot of time in space.. so how come with a starwars game there isnt a great deal of space at all. ???? because they didnt .. correction wasnt allowed to put effort into the most crucial parts of the game.  it is just another wow clone. who the hell wants to sit through hours and hours of voice over in an mmo game. ??? errrr maybe once maybe not even right through to the end game.. oh shit!!!!! did i say end game ???? there we go look another pathetic wow machanic !! end game in an mmo how much more retarded can these online games become..  end game = stop playing play something else  :) end game = ored of swtor.  end game = fed up of the same instances and raids. end game =dont belong in an mmo. mmo's that im used to are persistant living breathing worlds where you have a connection with your charecter and other players in the game world. a reason to log in and something to actually play for.    swtor offers the same thing as wow

gear grind

level grind

pvp arenas

umm and thats about it.

see boreing.

oh sorry i almost forgot instances!! agh shit did i do a swear word!!! im sorry i meant flashpoints :)

Spelling, sentence structure and grammar are all good. Your post, specifically the big paragraph, isn't legible.

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Originally posted by Adamai

gear grind

level grind

pvp arenas

umm and thats about it.

see boreing.

Adamai knows its a fail game when he sees one so thats all i need, im going to cancel my sub and wait for further instructions. /sarcasm off image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• WarbsWarbs Member Posts: 245
    Well mainly due to the fact that game shops in the uk hardly stock any pc games anymore heck some game stores I've entered have no pc games at all.
  • zinger71zinger71 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Huh? Two weeks after launch and we're already reporting declining numbers. Aside from Boxing Day, retail sales of any type plummet following Christmas. Whether its box or digital. gimme a break.
  • Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Most misleading title ever?  

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I don't like buying games digitally?  I don't like taking a day to download a game myself which is the case for any MMO I download.

I think everyone who initially wanted the play the game bought it.