Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dissapointed!

Acording to myself my expectations wasn't unreasonably high when it comes to swtor. I just thought that mmo's would evolve over time when it comes to diversion and freedom.

I was looking forward to see how the choices you made would affect the gameplay but became sad to discover that there was a very limited set of answers and outcome no matter what reply I chose. Actually in lot of cases only one outcome. Yes I know I have the choice to accept the quest or not or to kill or to let live but that is still very limited acording to what the developes talked about.

Race choice very limited: Why can't I play as a wooki?

Why does everyone of the same class get the exact same companion instead of being able to choose? This makes the game seems silly when everyone running around looking VERY similar and have the exact same companion. No diversion at all.

Gameplay is linear.

I have some good things to say about this game but my overall first impression which is the most important if you want to keep something going is not that intriguing.

I know there is other games out there that can give what I miss in swtor but they usually missing the polishness of a game like stwor.

Anyone who have an idea why big AAA games want to limit us like this?

Comments

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

SWTOR & BIO...

No I'm gonna stop that it's getting old and annoying I bet ha ha.

Interesting take but were are your positives as well, I think it'd help more.

You did state reasons why I was turned off in OB, just the few but, I think to make it a more fair view you could list some positives as well.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

tor is a themepark thats why you were dissapointed. You should look into Sandbox MMO's instead. They are more open ended. However it's harder and harder now to find descent ones, because most of them are poorly implemented or are released too early. The best Sandbox MMO I ever played was Starwars Galaxies before the NGE

---> http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/572/ArcheAge.html

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by trash656

tor is a themepark thats why you were dissapointed.

when i look up themepark nowhere do i read shallow, copycat, with decent story and good voice overs.. but it thats what themepark means.. then ok

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

You should maybe try waiting for Guild Wars 2 then. It is the game many who don't like the current cookie-cutter themeparks are waiting for and hoping will change the current market. 

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Originally posted by Joas

Acording to myself my expectations wasn't unreasonably high when it comes to swtor. I just thought that mmo's would evolve over time when it comes to diversion and freedom.

I was looking forward to see how the choices you made would affect the gameplay but became sad to discover that there was a very limited set of answers and outcome no matter what reply I chose. Actually in lot of cases only one outcome. Yes I know I have the choice to accept the quest or not or to kill or to let live but that is still very limited acording to what the developes talked about.

Why does everyone of the same class get the exact same companion instead of being able to choose? This makes the game seems silly when everyone running around looking VERY similar and have the exact same companion. No diversion at all.

Gameplay is linear.

I have some good things to say about this game but my overall first impression which is the most important if you want to keep something going is not that intriguing.

I know there is other games out there that can give what I miss in swtor but they usually missing the polishness of a game like stwor.

If they don't players will exploit the game to hell and back , but also the more possible outcomes you put in the harder it is to keep track of everything and in the case of heavily story based games with more outcomes you have the more story paths you have to develop and thats adds more time to develop the game which ultimately costs more money. Though I really don't know that many games that have any true freedom they all have limitations technologically and mechanically.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Originally posted by sanosukex

when i look up themepark nowhere do i read shallow, copycat, with decent story and good voice overs.. but it thats what themepark means.. then ok

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonlinear_gameplay

Read, learn, educate...

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

tor is a themepark thats why you were dissapointed. You should look into Sandbox MMO's instead.

You seem to have been fooled into thinking that themepark's are by definition linear, limited, and dictatorial .?...

They arn't. Only bad ones are.

• DarnRightDarnRight Member Posts: 66

Most, and I do mean MOST, people are enjoying SW:TOR. There's a small, and very vocal group, who for whatever reason, have to try and bring it down. There is also a group who has legit gripes and are trying to promote possitive discussions around how to improve a game which is two weeks old. Yet a blast to play even with the bugs. Most of which are minor but for a couple.

The trolls don't matter anyway. Soon they'll be back to playing WoW or Rift or wishing SWG was still around.

Good riddence.

Originally posted by vesavius

tor is a themepark thats why you were dissapointed. You should look into Sandbox MMO's instead.

You seem to have been fooled into thinking that themepark's are by definition linear, limited, and dictatorial .?...

I never said that themeparks are linear, and limited. And nor do I think they are. I love themepark mmo's. Im just stating that TOR is a themepark, and not a sandbox. Learn to read

Read, learn, educate...

has nothing to do with my comment.. try again

I never said that themeparks are linear, and limited. I love themepark mmo's. Im just stating that TOR is a themepark, and not a sandbox. Learn to read

And you'd be correct. It is a Themepark MMO. Nothing wrong with that but it has disapointed the diehard SWG folks to no end. Of course only a few of those actually even played SWG when it was really a game.

Shallow? Copycat?

Maybe you should strive to actually know about what you're talking about before looking like a fool. Shallow it isn't, copycat it ain't. With all the people screaming for MODS to make it like WoW that should alone tell you it isn't a clone.

Try again, next time bring weapons instead of feathers.

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Im all for people forming their own opions on games, glad you tried it, rather than people who dismiss something based on what they have read here. What I always find annoying is when people claim to like a genre when in fact they don't.

It seems many people like the idea of mmorpgs but actually don't enjoy playing them. Saying an mmorpg was dissapointing because it played like another mmorpg is rather moronic. "I like pork pies, I bought a different brand of pork pie but was upset to find it was simply a pie, with pork meat in it".

All of these games are a variation on a theme, if you do not enjoy the underlying mechanics of the theme then you are bound to be apathetic toward every mmorpg to hit the market.

Why can't they make one with all the things you desire? It would be prohibitively expensive and time consuming to produce. SWTOR had a mind blowing budget, imagine how much more money and time required to add in all the other diversionary paths, effects, story branches not forgetting over coming the problem of different outcomes for different people in a over arching storyline for many people in a persistant world.

If you want that play Skyrim.  :)

Originally posted by DarnRight

Shallow? Copycat?

Maybe you should strive to actually know about what you're talking about before looking like a fool. Shallow it isn't, copycat it ain't. With all the people screaming for MODS to make it like WoW that should alone tell you it isn't a clone.

Try again, next time bring weapons instead of feathers.

i have plenty of post history to back up my comments you can go through if need be.. it not.. well I really could care less

Originally posted by DarnRight

I never said that themeparks are linear, and limited. I love themepark mmo's. Im just stating that TOR is a themepark, and not a sandbox. Learn to read

And you'd be correct. It is a Themepark MMO. Nothing wrong with that but it has disapointed the diehard SWG folks to no end. Of course only a few of those actually even played SWG when it was really a game.

Yeah SWG PRE NGE was the best MMO i had ever played. I miss it, but oh well. I'm enjoying TOR right now alot :)

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

[mod edit]

• xm522xm522 Member UncommonPosts: 117

Originally posted by nikoliath

Im all for people forming their own opions on games, glad you tried it, rather than people who dismiss something based on what they have read here. What I always find annoying is when people claim to like a genre when in fact they don't.

It seems many people like the idea of mmorpgs but actually don't enjoy playing them. Saying an mmorpg was dissapointing because it played like another mmorpg is rather moronic. "I like pork pies, I bought a different brand of pork pie but was upset to find it was simply a pie, with pork meat in it".

All of these games are a variation on a theme, if you do not enjoy the underlying mechanics of the theme then you are bound to be apathetic toward every mmorpg to hit the market.

Why can't they make one with all the things you desire? It would be prohibitively expensive and time consuming to produce. SWTOR had a mind blowing budget, imagine how much more money and time required to add in all the other diversionary paths, effects, story branches not forgetting over coming the problem of different outcomes for different people in a over arching storyline for many people in a persistant world.

your reasoning is flawed on so many levels it is ridiculous. sure they are both pork pies, but notr all pork pies are the same, some are great while others are shit. plz think a bit more before posting.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I never said that themeparks are linear, and limited. And nor do I think they are. I love themepark mmo's. Im just stating that TOR is a themepark, and not a sandbox.

A themepark can easily give him everything he is looking for. He makes no criticism that shouldn't be answered by this type of game and SWTOR's issues have nothing to do with it being a themepark (they have eveything to do with it being a (IMO) bad example of one).

Telling him to look into sandbox games because he makes the criticism's he does of it is... well, y'know.

But I have a feeling you could go on all night about this and I cba, so I will say that and leave you. Have fun :)

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

Originally posted by InFaVilla

You should maybe try waiting for Guild Wars 2 then. It is the game many who don't like the current cookie-cutter themeparks are waiting for and hoping will change the current market. 

LMAO, that's what people have been saying on these forums for the past 5 or 6 years.

- you should wait for Vanguard: result: doom and damnation on the forums.

- then, you should wait for AOC, new combat system, dx10, etc..etc... Result: doom and damnation all over the forums.

- then you should wait for the next messiah WAR, its Mythic, the developper of DAOC, the PVP gods! Result: doom and damnation.

- then, you should wait for Aion, by the company producing Guild wars and Lineage 2. Result: doom on the forums.

- then, you should wait for the next messiah Darkfall, its a sanbox, it's Ultima Online!, in developpment for 7-8 years! Result: doom and damnation.

- then, DF sucks, but Mortal Online is comming out! These guys know how to do it, look at the videos!!! Result: Facepalm.

- then, SWTOR will be the answer to our prayers!!!! Result: look at the forums - its the same as it has always been with every game.

- now: you should wait for Guild Wars 2!!!! This time it will be different! Yea, sure, as it always was, people will be complaining the same.

No, SWTOR is a very nice and polished game. I am playing it now (not next year), for what it is and not for what it is not. I am done with the waiting for the next messiah that will make everyone happy - it does not exist.

And if EA-Bioware can't do it with their 80-150m $ investment they pumped into this game, after what we have seen these past years, nobody can.

I hope GW2 will be great too and I will certainly be getting it. But I am not waiting for anything. I am playing today, now.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by BigMango

Originally posted by InFaVilla

LMAO, that's what people have been saying on these forums for the past 5 or 6 years.

- you should wait for Vanguard: result: doom and damnation on the forums.

- then, you should wait for AOC, new combat system, dx10, etc..etc... Result: doom and damnation all over the forums.

- then you should wait for the next messiah WAR, its Mythic, the developper of DAOC, the PVP gods! Result: doom and damnation.

- then, you should wait for Aion, by the company producing Guild wars and Lineage 2. Result: doom on the forums.

- then, you should wait for the next messiah Darkfall, its a sanbox, it's Ultima Online!, in developpment for 7-8 years! Result: doom and damnation.

- then, DF sucks, but Mortal Online is comming out! These guys know how to do it, look at the videos!!! Result: Facepalm.

- then, SWTOR will be the answer to our prayers!!!! Result: look at the forums - its the same as it has always been with every game.

- now: you should wait for Guild Wars 2!!!! This time it will be different! Yea, sure, as it always was, people will be complaining the same.

No, SWTOR is a very nice and polished game. I am playing it now (not next year), for what it is and not for what it is not. I am done with the waiting for the next messiah that will make everyone happy - it does not exist.

And if EA-Bioware can't do it with their 80-150m $ investment they pumped into this game, after what we have seen these past years, nobody can.

I hope GW2 will be great too and I will certainly be getting it. But I am not waiting for anything. I am playing today, now.

Well said, now back to SWTOR.....

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Originally posted by xm522

your reasoning is flawed on so many levels it is ridiculous. sure they are both pork pies, but notr all pork pies are the same, some are great while others are shit. plz think a bit more before posting.

no your interpretation is flawed. I'm not saying all mmorpgs are good, I'm saying complaining about one game playing like another is silly.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Joas

Gameplay is linear.

I really agree about the companions, for a game that have "as much content as all previous Bioware games put together" are the number of companions rather sad and unimpressive. Like 3 companions for each class to choose from and a few faction based would help a lot.

Companions used to be Biowares strongest point since the first Baldurs gate (Mince is still a favorite).

As for choices I didn't expect more, it would be really complicated to make the choices matter as much as in a single player game.

But the companions would have been easy, and for that there really isn't any good reason.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

no your interpretation is flawed. I'm not saying all mmorpgs are good, I'm saying complaining about one game playing like another is silly.

That is true, but complaining that all (or almost all) playing like eachother isn'y silly at all.

Game genres need some diversity or they will lose many potential players.

In single player ROGs some people like Mass effect 2 while others like Skyrim and there are enough choice so that the genre can attract very different people (even if it is less diverse now than it was 10 years ago).

In MMO almost all games play the same and that isn't good. Some games will however always be very similar and there is no problem with that as long as other differs.

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Read, learn, educate...

has nothing to do with my comment.. try again

[mod edit]

guess I frogpt why I have stopped getting caght up in these discussions.. its honestly not even worth it anymore

If you don't like the game, why is it ever worth it?  Why do people spend hours on end raging over a game they say they don't like and (say) they won't play.   

why do I have to explain why I play this game over and over and over.. I'm an MMO addict who loves stars wars I'm tired with rift and have no niterest in playing WoW and right now there is nothing better to play.. But I just keep hearing the same garbage spewed on these forums day after day saying this is going to be the next big thing.. and sorry it is not. Its a decent game that will cater to casual players who will stop playing once they play through a couple story lines.