Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

History Lession: what was this big patch that pissed most people in Russia off and in the NA/EU?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
I been reading some post on the boards about some major patch which killed the game. I am curious, what was this patch, and what did it do that ran off so many people?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

No patch, just greed. They thought their customers were sheep waiting to be fleeced by outrageous prices in their cash shop on trivial items almost required in order to level. They were wrong.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • tussauctussauc Member UncommonPosts: 147

It caught the "F2P-Greed" syndrome and didn't last long after that.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Honestly, I would have played this as a P2P MMO. It was soo polished. And it also had cool models and animations lke WoW. I would totally sub to a non item shop MMO of Allod. It feel like WoW, but still different. That's something most MMO do not do.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• kashiegamerkashiegamer Member Posts: 263

IIRC, it was called the Gipat Patch. I don't know for sure, because I played Allods during the time it was trying to get its population back up.

When I played, the problem was gone and the cash shop was somehow balanced, but it was very hard to get the population back again, plus considering the fact that the game was still new and had no real end-game content yet.

It was a very polished game, sad to say. The landscape was beautiful, but it was sad since there were no other players I could party with.

My Blog About Hellgate Global, an ARPG/FPS hybrid MMO:
    http://kashiewannaplay.wordpress.com/

Hellgate Global Official Fan Blog
    http://t3funhellgate.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hellgate Global, LoL, Skyrim, Morrowind
    Recently Played: Cardmon Hero, Cabal, Oblivion

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Honestly, I would have played this as a P2P MMO. It was soo polished. And it also had cool models and animations lke WoW. I would totally sub to a non item shop MMO of Allod. It feel like WoW, but still different. That's something most MMO do not do.

That's how I felt about it when I played. I advanced to a situation where I needed bags, and they were like ten bucks each in their cashshop. After that, I was bombarded by some quizzical text that I still don't really understand, but I THINK the gist was that I had to buy a specific vial, or item, after level twenty to balance out a negative percentage applied to XP gain at that point. The sad thing was that I really dug the animation and art style, and I still really, really want to experience the airship content, but I'm not paying to win. Give me a subscription mode for this game any day, and maybe I'd give it a fair shake.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• huskerman34huskerman34 Member UncommonPosts: 252

i started after the gipat bull crap and was dedicated player until the end game. Then it got plain boring.  Its not just the cash shop but the game its self. The monotiny they put players through with astral the  greed in players and not being able to get astral runs. people not showing up for ac or doing gt lack of crafting and so on. They nerfed gold wich made it impossible to buy from the ah wich made us go to the  cash shop and buy strongboxes wich gave you crap 99 percent of the time. Its too late to patch this game and to add classes the damage is done and gpotato can  piss off. i will never play a  game from gpotato. Last time i was on in tenesses it was barely 50 people on. Why dont they accept defeat and give this game to a different publisher.  And if you do decide to play this game go to nezeb where its a little more populated than Tenesess.( which is all but a ghostown server)

Edgar F Greenwood

• GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165

Originally posted by kashiegamer

IIRC, it was called the Gipat Patch. 

Gipat introduced:

- Grind: reducing the xp from quests and tripling the xp needed to level up. They added xp scrolls in their cash-shop.

- Power cash-shop items: runes were 10 times more powerful. 

- Fear of death: This debuff was a 25% hit to offensive stats for a duration based on level up to 51 minutes. 

The community started threadnaughts full of doom and gloom. The population was going downhill. Their response?

- Fear of death removed. Instead there is a small chance that a curse may land on one of your inventory slots. If it does then that item will have its stats inverted.

- Incense now grants you a boost in your hp, mana, damage and heal. In addition, they introduced the new Martyr abilities, only usable if you're on incense.

Incense was now a must-have and the item needed to prevent the curse upon your death was overpriced. Not to mention the runes. There was also the menace of insane power cash-shop items launched in the Russian version of allods. They started tweaking prices at this point, adding quests and giving away them for free, but the damage was already done.

Last time I tried allods a few months after Gipat, the grind and the huge unbalance caused by the power items dwarfed anything it had to offer. I'll try it again in a few days tho.

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

I believe the introduction of the cash shop is what killed the game, then there were subsequent patches that put the nails in the coffin.

Russia has a seperate patch, probably teh Gipat one that really torqued them off.

• orion2355orion2355 Member Posts: 76

Originally posted by Greenzor

Gipat introduced:
    - Grind: reducing the xp from quests and tripling the xp needed to level up. They added xp scrolls in their cash-shop.
    - Fear of death: This debuff was a 25% hit to offensive stats for a duration based on level up to 51 minutes. 
    The community started threadnaughts full of doom and gloom. The population was going downhill. Their response?
    - Fear of death removed. Instead there is a small chance that a curse may land on one of your inventory slots. If it does then that item will have its stats inverted.
    - Incense now grants you a boost in your hp, mana, damage and heal. In addition, they introduced the new Martyr abilities, only usable if you're on incense.
    Incense was now a must-have and the item needed to prevent the curse upon your death was overpriced. Not to mention the runes. There was also the menace of insane power cash-shop items launched in the Russian version of allods. They started tweaking prices at this point, adding quests and giving away them for free, but the damage was already done.
    Last time I tried allods a few months after Gipat, the grind and the huge unbalance caused by the power items dwarfed anything it had to offer. I'll try it again in a few days tho.

Greenzor speaks the truth and everything mentioned was exactly how it went down. The game itself was really well done and enjoyable throughout plus the population was on steady rise as more people started to find it and see it wasn't our typical brand of F2P games, then the patch came and everything crumbled. Overall, it was like being sucker punched in the face and many, including myself, were overwhelmed with the swift shift in changes-most that literally broke the game in some way or another or basically broke the bubble of fun. We understood patches happen, game changes are inevitable, but the Gipat Patch was a kick to the groin followed by a smile. I would have paid monthly for the old Allods, yes I enjoyed it that much and so did many others, but after Gipat many of us went running and screaming for the hills...never to return.

---I'm not trying to hurt you, I'm simply saving you from that hideous costume you're wearing.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by Greenzor

Gipat introduced:

Right after Gipat patch this was true. It made me stop playing for months. About 2/3 to 3/4 of the players left over this patch. Many would never return.

There is definitely still grind now. Sometime they have lucky moments with double xp, but overall there is grind and the xp-scrolls are there to be sold.

This is still the case, runes are power. They're a one time investment. This can be seen as a good thing, but also as a bad thing. It's not like it's something that is only temporary. The lines between the haves and havenots are  chiseled in stone. You don't need your fix every few days, but when your opponent has them and you don't you're pretty much screwed unless there is a high level and/or gear difference.

No fear of death any more and the items that prevent your items from being cursed are free in the cash shop.

Incense for 4 hours can be gotten in a few seconds these days, incense for a whole day now requires a few minutes of running around. It's a non-issue now.

There is still grind and the runes are there to stay no doubt.

imageimage
  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

its gpotato what you expect same stuff happened to their different game success of a month get to their head oups head pop and a dum employe decide to implement a new unpopupar policy thinking player will stay lol!

check aika before a certain fatefull date word of mouth was going out game was beginning to be what mmo should be suddenly an employ somewhere in that barn decided to implement ip block for all that werent from usa guess what everybody left.and countless countless bad move all different from the other but all added together make gpotato dont want customer or some employe is in the pay of blizzard cause they had lot of potential great title that would have made them success story for years but nope when they begin to see their server full they get a twitch in their hand to do a bad move instead of just leaving good alone!

• steelfinsteelfin Member UncommonPosts: 121

I'm assuming you're referring to the Gipat patch?  On that day, I remember everyone shouting in the zone about how gpotato were cash cows and that everyone would quit, first time they actually kept that promise.  Most people eventually come back to these games for no apparent reason.

and apparently there's a 3.0 coming out.  speaking of which, is the game still in the beta?

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by Cawickeng

I'm assuming you're referring to the Gipat patch?  On that day, I remember everyone shouting in the zone about how gpotato were cash cows and that everyone would quit, first time they actually kept that promise.  Most people eventually come back to these games for no apparent reason.

and apparently there's a 3.0 coming out.  speaking of which, is the game still in the beta?

LOL, no way it's still in beta, I think they came out of beta with 2.0 or something but don't quote me on that. Level cap is 51 now. The game is still a gear grind though. You don't have to get the best gear of course, but you're supposed to want the new shinies if you want to own. The are skirmishes now (battlegrounds), new levels of astral, new class bard, extra reincarnation option, a way to buy cash shop currency from an NPC with in game gold.

It's changed a lot since Gipat.

imageimage