Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 vs Other MMOs

2»

Comments

• illorionillorion Member Posts: 467

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Originally posted by pierth

While I don't get hyped for MMOs anymore, the vid does give me hope that we'll get something in the market that doesn't consist of soloing to the level cap then raid or die.

Prepare to be amazed, people not expecting to much will probably be stunned by the brilliance of GW2, i do envy you.

Lol I thought the exact same thing just before I read your post. I thought to myself... imagine if i didnt know really anything about Gw2 before it released.... im still really excited to play but i imagine that if I knew nothing and just pick the game up and started playing then my brains would probably have exploded 

"Don't mistake a fun game for a good game... Checkers is fun to play but its not exactly the highest point of gaming design... and definatly not worth $60 plus $15 a month"

• SharpehSharpeh Member Posts: 111

Even when you know everything about it, the game is still going to blow your mind. You might know about dynamic events, but you won't actually 'KNOW' about them untill you've participated in one. I hope that makes sense.

I know a lot, if not everything about this game but I'm sure that I'll still be blown away when I get to play it.

There's a difference between knowing a lot about a game and actually experiencing it. I can't wait for it to be released!

Hope is nature's way of enabling us to survive so that we can discover nature itself.

Check out my YouTube Channel for LOADS of info on Guild Wars 2!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TubeElephant

• SylvinstarSylvinstar Member UncommonPosts: 158

This was Eq1 in it's heyday (before Luclin and PoP).  Great helpful community centered on having fun.  If you missed out on it, you don't even know what you've missed fortunately.  Eq1 forced grouping because it was hard.  While I would say MMO's have improved in many ways since Everquest's launch, the expectations of gamer's and designers have changed as well, and this has lead to some unfortunate (IMO) changes in the difficulty and depth of gameplay overall.  There has been a shift from "I can't wait to play and share this experience with others" to more weight on "I can't wait to get ______ loot".

I would liken this to Anime in the early 80's (Akira, Robotech/Macross etc.) compared to what we have now.  Actually, this applies to anything that gets flogged to death in an open market once people figure out it makes money (not that I begrudge people making a lot of money).  Yes there are good examples of Anime etc. out there now, but there is also a lot of crap.

Too each their own.

Generally speaking there was more decorum and helpfulness in the early days - people still used manners even though they were 'anonymous'.  General chat nowadays further forces more helpful members of the community into smaller social circles of known friends.  No you aren't forced to turn off general chat, but unless you enjoy barrens style chat, you will have general chat off in most games just to save sanity.  This is unfortunate as it minimizes social interaction, also compounded by the fact that most people will just google/wiki everything they need to know and continue on through their MMO experience solo.

Was everything perfect in the first MMO's?  No.  Is everything crap now? No.  There are definitely pieces of MMO game experiences from the past that I wish could be injected into some of the nice games on the market today, but alas those pieces have more to do with the community and game design ideals that have gone the way of the 5 cent hotdog.

- Sylvinstar

• VicDonneganVicDonnegan Member Posts: 106

Originally posted by Isane

Originally posted by Sharpeh

What's up guys?

I made a video about a quote from one of the ArenaNet developers. He explains really well why Guild Wars 2 is different than other MMOs!

You can find the video here: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXdcJDRPZuU&feature=sh_e_top&list=SL

I figured I'd make a video like this to end the year 2011 on! What do you guys think about it?

Happy New Year everyone!

It's an MMO same old same old.

Until a developer removes end game/guilds/insta sell travel  and releases a real MMO we can actuall enjoy for more than a couple of months I am not really interested.

Longevity / Game Community not Guilds and a world that fights back i.e has some teeth are what makes a real good MMO sadly 95% of developers fail...

And you know this because you've played it I'm sure. True, I've not played it either, but your argument has no validity, as you've clearly not done any research on the game at all. GW2 will have guilds, but how is that even a problem? Being in a guild is not mandatory to enjoying anything about the game at all. Also, please do tell how guilds are not a part of community, or even have a negative impact on community. I don't get it.

Originally posted by VicDonnegan

Originally posted by Isane

What's up guys?

I made a video about a quote from one of the ArenaNet developers. He explains really well why Guild Wars 2 is different than other MMOs!

You can find the video here: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXdcJDRPZuU&feature=sh_e_top&list=SL

I figured I'd make a video like this to end the year 2011 on! What do you guys think about it?

Happy New Year everyone!

It's an MMO same old same old.

Until a developer removes end game/guilds/insta sell travel  and releases a real MMO we can actuall enjoy for more than a couple of months I am not really interested.

Longevity / Game Community not Guilds and a world that fights back i.e has some teeth are what makes a real good MMO sadly 95% of developers fail...

And you know this because you've played it I'm sure. True, I've not played it either, but your argument has no validity, as you've clearly not done any research on the game at all. GW2 will have guilds, but how is that even a problem? Being in a guild is not mandatory to enjoying anything about the game at all. Also, please do tell how guilds are not a part of community, or even have a negative impact on community. I don't get it.

{mod edit}

Hope is nature's way of enabling us to survive so that we can discover nature itself.

• VicDonneganVicDonnegan Member Posts: 106

^Aye^.

My video just got retweeted by the official Guild Wars 2 twitter! I'm so excited! Adrenaline rush! =)

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

My video just got retweeted by the official Guild Wars 2 twitter! I'm so excited! Adrenaline rush! =)

Tube I subscribed.

Time to bust some heads!

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.