Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why SWTOR is the best MMO EVER by GamerGaia editor Joshua Mobley

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Totally fine to say that a game is good and you enjoy it. I disagree this game being that great but people have their own opinion and can be entitled to enjoy something. When your giving a review like that... there are three possibilities.

1.) They have used every drug imaginable to mankind, lived, and in its wake was in a state that a task as simple as manging tie your shoes would be like hitting the lotto. 

2.) Paid by EA. Huge factor for many review sites. Lets not pretend people don't purposely give reviews for not only tht extra money but also the chance for their 'quotes' to be used for promoting the game, giving themselves a shameful promotion.

3.) SWTOR is the only MMO they ever played or the MMos they played were so bad they somehow outweighed the many faults of ToR.

This is what I like to call a great example of a bad review. 

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by allegria

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Originally posted by allegria

That said, evaluating an MMO as best ever 20 hours in is well... what it is. 

Comical? Pathetic? Hilarious?

Really need a thesaurus to fully imply how ridiculous that is haha

Basically but i was trying to be polite about it LOL

Like i wrote earlier in this thread, some things this Mr. Editor says ends up by compromising the entire review, because then one cant avoid to see it as phoney. That "20 hours after and i discovered the holy grail" is one fo them.

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

Originally posted by adam_nox

Actually I think the problem with phasing is that it often is used to separate players needlessly.  Just because 2 players are on a different phase doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to interact.  It's the players view and interaction of NON-player aspects that should differ, not who else they can group with.  While it may seem silly to have people group when one person has completed a phased quest, that's a small price to pay to get the best of both worlds.

The designers could just decide if people group with in different phasing  levels that they both see the latest level. So if one has cleaned up the place and the other player would still have to clean it he loses the quest, but his buddy can always say ' hey I did that'.

Also for the mmo part I would separate the mmo into a more single player storyline and one with big quests for multiplayers where the mmo feeling comes out.

A single player game combined with an mmo - I think that is what it is going to be anyway with themeparks

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by Uhwop

Originally posted by BizkitNL

Let me put it really simple:

What are you doing in a Star Wars MMO, when you're sick and tired of Star Wars? It seriously kills anything else you have to say about the game, since you shouldn't be playing it to begin with. Impartiality is null and void in your case, atleast to others (myself included).

When in the world did i ever say i was playing the game?

I expressed an opinion that had everything to do with the things i read about the game, and absolutely NOTHING to do with personal experience in the game.

I wrote entirely about the abundance of talk centered around the story in the game, and how I'm continually bombarded about how great the game is based on the story, and rarely ever given any opinion on how good the actual gameplay itself is. 

I could you possibly read what I wrote and think that I even played the game?

Or did you just skim, see the very last line, and then make an assumption about what was actually written above it?  Cause that would have been pretty silly of you to do.

Let me put it another way.

I'm not playing ToR because:

1) All anyone says about it is that it's great for the story, and to me that isn't what makes an MMO great.

2) I've read very little about what is good about the actual gameplay other then there are a lot of cutscenes and some choices you make, and that doesn't sound like fun MMO stuff to me.

3) After 30 years of starwars I'm just not interested in playing anything simply because it's starwars, and unless there's something more worthwhile then "it's starwars" im not going to spend money on it.  And truefully, that's all I've really been reading.  "it's starwars", and that's just not good enough for me.

Unlike a lot of people, it would seem, individual story is not why I play MMO's and if that's what your biggest draw is, then I'm not going to get it.  Individual story does not make a better MMO, it makes a better SRPG, and ToR is supposed to be an MMO.  You can not possible have a better MMO when you emphasize the single player aspect of the game; you only succeed in making a better singleplayer online game, not a better MMO.

Especially when thousands of other people are doign the exact same individual story.  There's nothing personal about something thousands of other people are doing as well.

Even more so when I know that all they did was take and element from one of there single player games and import it to an MMO.  Or is everyone conveniently ignoring that they're playing dragon age with a starwars skin?

I skimmed the post. My bad. I see it now.

That said, I'm still wondering why you are discussing this. You're sick of Star Wars, and obviously Themepark MMO's. You're wasting your time trying to be smart about it, and I'm wasting my time replying.

The MMO is solid, but not new or groundbreaking. What IS new, however, is how you are sucked into the quests and lore with Bioware's cutscenes and voice-acting. Atleast its new to the MMO scene. It makes you feel part of the world, or rather even more so than the next Themepark MMO. To me, it's not that a quest is unique to me and that I impact the world by doing it, but rather getting motivated to do the quest by understanding why I'm asked to do so. To empathize with the NPC's instructing me. That itself makes the world come alive. This is the RPG part of MMORPG. The part you seem to forget. Roleplay.

Lastly, Dragon Age with a Star Wars skin? Yes please! Although it's Dragon Age 2, not 1. Or even better: Mass Effect 2. This is win, seriously. 

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

?

That said, I'm still wondering why you are discussing this. You're sick of Star Wars, and obviously Themepark MMO's. You're wasting your time trying to be smart about it, and I'm wasting my time replying.

The MMO is solid, but not new or groundbreaking. What IS new, however, is how you are sucked into the quests and lore with Bioware's cutscenes and voice-acting. Atleast its new to the MMO scene. It makes you feel part of the world, or rather even more so than the next Themepark MMO. To me, it's not that a quest is unique to me and that I impact the world by doing it, but rather getting motivated to do the quest by understanding why I'm asked to do so. To empathize with the NPC's instructing me. That itself makes the world come alive. This is the RPG part of MMORPG. The part you seem to forget. Roleplay.

Lastly, Dragon Age with a Star Wars skin? Yes please! Although it's Dragon Age 2, not 1. Or even better: Mass Effect 2. This is win, seriously. 

I didn't want to get involved in this exchange...but I feel I have to at this point.

How is being more like Dragon Age 2 than Dragon Age 1 a "win" in any way shape or form :)?

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Originally posted by echolynfan

Haters heads will spin:

http://www.gamergaia.com/home/gaming-news/55-opinion-pieces/2275-why-star-wars-the-old-republic-is-the-best-mmo-ever.html

Best ever ? no, but a polished rehash of old ideas with the stalwart Star Wars IP behind it yes.

My copy of SWTOR is still sealed in its plastic, I might activate my 30 days in the new year. The thing is I already feel from playing a lot of hours in 2 different classes all through early access that I wont be subscribing once my 30 days are up and I am a Huge Star Wars fan a huge bioware fan and I loved Kotor & Kotor 2.

My Issue with this game is mainly that while there is nothing horribly wrong with it there is also nothing exceptional about it either, certainly nothing there worth paying a monthly subscription for and the world is so dead & lifeless in regards to NPC's and the areas feel too instanced to the point they feel a bit like lobbies, making it feel less like an MMO.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

The MMO is solid, but not new or groundbreaking. What IS new, however, is how you are sucked into the quests and lore with Bioware's cutscenes and voice-acting. Atleast its new to the MMO scene. It makes you feel part of the world, or rather even more so than the next Themepark MMO.

I don't need cutscene and voices to be sucke dinto the game. Please speak only for yourself. And I have felt just as much a spart of worlds in other games as I have in this one. If not more so, in games like AoC or Aion that feature extensive emotes, and character customization capabilities. 

To me, it's not that a quest is unique to me and that I impact the world by doing it, but rather getting motivated to do the quest by understanding why I'm asked to do so. To empathize with the NPC's instructing me. That itself makes the world come alive. This is the RPG part of MMORPG. The part you seem to forget. Roleplay.

SO MUCH WRONG WITH THIS STATEMENT URGH. 

First part: Again, speak for yourself. Also, you are not impacting the world AT ALL. That you enjoy the experience is a personal opinion and you're entitled to it. But to say that you impact the world? That's not true and this statement is factual.

Second part: Again, I don't need all thos ebells and whistles for the world to feel alive. But that's me and I don't expect it of anyone. What I do take an issue with is your misconception about roleplay. Roleplay is about interacting with other players, not interacting with NPCs. 

The "RPG" that you refer to is present in EVERY game where you take on a role of "another character" that is not you. "ROLEPLAYING" does not refer to that. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by Creslin321

?

I didn't want to get involved in this exchange...but I feel I have to at this point.

How is being more like Dragon Age 2 than Dragon Age 1 a "win" in any way shape or form :)?

I'll play devil's advocate.  DA1 combat, which was really 75% of what you did the entire time you played, was horribly boring, simplistic, flawed, buggy, etc etc.  It was really barely tolerable only because the rest of the game was so great.  The first minute I played DA2 I was in love with the pace and visceral nature of the combat.  If only the rest of the game had improved so much.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

What are you doing in a Star Wars MMO, when you're sick and tired of Star Wars? It seriously kills anything else you have to say about the game, since you shouldn't be playing it to begin with. Impartiality is null and void in your case, atleast to others (myself included).

I expressed an opinion that had everything to do with the things i read about the game, and absolutely NOTHING to do with personal experience in the game.

I wrote entirely about the abundance of talk centered around the story in the game, and how I'm continually bombarded about how great the game is based on the story, and rarely ever given any opinion on how good the actual gameplay itself is. 

Or did you just skim, see the very last line, and then make an assumption about what was actually written above it?  Cause that would have been pretty silly of you to do.

1) All anyone says about it is that it's great for the story, and to me that isn't what makes an MMO great.

2) I've read very little about what is good about the actual gameplay other then there are a lot of cutscenes and some choices you make, and that doesn't sound like fun MMO stuff to me.

3) After 30 years of starwars I'm just not interested in playing anything simply because it's starwars, and unless there's something more worthwhile then "it's starwars" im not going to spend money on it.  And truefully, that's all I've really been reading.  "it's starwars", and that's just not good enough for me.

Unlike a lot of people, it would seem, individual story is not why I play MMO's and if that's what your biggest draw is, then I'm not going to get it.  Individual story does not make a better MMO, it makes a better SRPG, and ToR is supposed to be an MMO.  You can not possible have a better MMO when you emphasize the single player aspect of the game; you only succeed in making a better singleplayer online game, not a better MMO.

Especially when thousands of other people are doign the exact same individual story.  There's nothing personal about something thousands of other people are doing as well.

Even more so when I know that all they did was take and element from one of there single player games and import it to an MMO.  Or is everyone conveniently ignoring that they're playing dragon age with a starwars skin?

Which isn't that new either.

I take it you didn't play LoTRO? What Turbine did really well in that are book quests. They took the original story, added much into it and were consistent.

On the other hand, if you mean only technique how the lore and quests are presented then you're right. No one has ever done questgiving this big part of the development of MMO and sacrificed so much time and money from making the game unique and astonishing.

But with this invention of their comes another problem. Read text leaves more room to your imagination. And when you can use your imagination, you're usually more drawn into the story and that's what makes the world really alive. I, like many others I take it, don't read normal quest texts in MMOs. But in LoTRO book quests I did read every word there was. And I did so in Rift, in story quests.

Sorry for the bother, but I just felt like I had to comment on that red part.

• TeiloTeilo Member Posts: 284

Originally posted by Pelaaja

Which isn't that new either.

I take it you didn't play LoTRO? What Turbine did really well in that are book quests. They took the original story, added much into it and were consistent.

On the other hand, if you mean only technique how the lore and quests are presented then you're right. No one has ever done questgiving this big part of the development of MMO and sacrificed so much time and money from making the game unique and astonishing.

But with this invention of their comes another problem. Read text leaves more room to your imagination. And when you can use your imagination, you're usually more drawn into the story and that's what makes the world really alive. I, like many others I take it, don't read normal quest texts in MMOs. But in LoTRO book quests I did read every word there was. And I did so in Rift, in story quests.

Sorry for the bother, but I just felt like I had to comment on that red part.

I've played LoTRO, it just doesn't compare, sorry.

As for reading feeding the imagination, that's true up to a point, but far more people seem to just skip all the quest text altogether.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Unlight

You know, the most telling thing about this article is when he says "I used to be a Blizzard fanboy."  Why?

Because an extremist is an extremist.  If he was a crazy fanboy for Blizzard/WoW, he will probably be a crazy fanboy for whatever the next game he decides he likes is.  Extremists very rarely look at things rationally.

Words of wisdom, Lloyd, words ... of ... wisdom.

So anyone who disagrees with your opinion of SWTOR is either stupid or irrational...nice.

Well, why not?

Around here, anyone who disagrees with a fan's opinion is automatically a "hater".

Even right in your OP, you pre-emptively take a shot at dissenters, labeling them as "haters".

Let's not be hypocritical.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

You know, the most telling thing about this article is when he says "I used to be a Blizzard fanboy."  Why?

Because an extremist is an extremist.  If he was a crazy fanboy for Blizzard/WoW, he will probably be a crazy fanboy for whatever the next game he decides he likes is.  Extremists very rarely look at things rationally.

Words of wisdom, Lloyd, words ... of ... wisdom.

So anyone who disagrees with your opinion of SWTOR is either stupid or irrational...nice.

Ease down, Ripley.  You're just grinding metal.

++++1 for awesome use of Aliens quote.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Originally posted by pharazonic

Originally posted by Drakxii

I have seen a number of movies and tv shows dozens and dozens of times.  It doesn't bother me one bit to hear the same dialog over and over again, just as long as it isn't just a fancy way to say go get me x or kill me x.  Oh did I skip alot of the normal quest convos.

Agreed!

I do wish BioWare had taken some notes from their singleplayer games... where not everything has to be kill, kill, kill. They did this epic storytelling approach and they didn't make quests where if we answer "correctly", we get the XP of kill quests? 

Kind of one-dimensional. 

And maybe I should have skipped the open-world quest dialog. I'd still be playing then :P 

The Coruscant quests made me want to tear my eyes out. (and plug my ears too)

Think about how personal story lines and dungeons work in ToR, and then think about how the stories in Dragon Age work, and ask yourself.

Did they take an element from one of their single player games.

I'm gonna say that's exactly what they did.

Have you ever even ran Hammer or Athsiss?

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Yep.  Best MMO ever... until the next Best MMO ever.  People are constantly forgetting what they were once excited about.

The thing I hate most about MMO today, and this goes for pretty much every MMO on the market, is the fact that everyone is the hero.  Everyone is doing the same quest, undertaking the same mission, saving the same person, killing the same bad guy.  Everyone is doing the same things.

ToR is exactly the same in that regard, only now you get to watch a cinematic about doing the same thing everyone else is doing.  Dialog options or not, you're doing the exact same thing.

Voice overs are nice, but the story element in an MMO is awful.  It doesn't help to build a world in which you are one of thousands of individuals ihabiting it, it just means you're watching the same thing as thousands of other people.  Cinimatics and stories are great in single player games, were I'm the ONLY hero.  They're great for telling a story.  However, they don't make an MMO more of an MMO or better.  It only lends to a more polished and fleshed out online single player, or co-op, experience. 

ToR could be the best MMO on the market, but when all I see is people declaring it great because of the story I have to cringe; especially when the story doesn't revolve around the world, but the individual, it's not like taking a step forward, it's taking a step back in building interactive worlds that thousands of people live out virtual lives in.

No ones talking about how great the actual gameplay in ToR is.  No one is talking about how great the crafting is.  No one is talking about how great or inovative the dungeons are.  No one is telling me that the PvP is different, that the classes are imaginative, fun, or different.  EVERYONE keeps telling me that the story is great, and that that's why ToR is great.

Seems like there are a lot of people playing MMO's who only care about how the story is delivered to them, and not so much about actual gameplay.  At least that's the impression I've gotten from all the reviews and forum feedback.  When all anyone will tell me is great about the game is the story, I have to wonder, how good is the 99.9% of the game itself?

I'm pretty sick of hearing about how good the story is in ToR.  That is not what makes an MMO great.

I play single player games for story, I play MMO's for interactive worlds.

It doesn't really help that I'm sick to death of starwars either.

And this sentence is really all I need to know from you.

Congratulations, you dismissed an entire post that doesn't even bash the game itself, but addresses a greater theme found in myriad MMO titles.... And you did so entirely on the basis of a single line at the very end. 

His entire post isn't even a bash on TOR. It's him expressing his aggravation at the emphasis on storyline in MMOs in general. TOR gets special mention because A) these are the TOR forums and B) Story has been one of the most hyped elements of TOR.

TOR is an example of his issue with MMOs in general, not TOR in particular. He could just as well have had the same gripe and posted it in any other MMO's forum, using that MMO as his example. His post would have had exactly the same meaning.

But... being a typically over-zealous and hyper-defensive fan, you immediately jump the gun, fail to read or comprehend what he's actually talking about, and throw out an extremely over-used and rather lazy response, in an effort to seem "witty". 

Well done.

This is why it's important to actually *read* and *comprehend* posts. There was even an article posted on this very site some time ago discussing the importance of reading comprehension.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Seeing how this guy is a self proclaimed 'wow fanboy' I did not even bother reading the rest of his article.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by adam_nox

?

I'll play devil's advocate.  DA1 combat, which was really 75% of what you did the entire time you played, was horribly boring, simplistic, flawed, buggy, etc etc.  It was really barely tolerable only because the rest of the game was so great.  The first minute I played DA2 I was in love with the pace and visceral nature of the combat.  If only the rest of the game had improved so much.

I agree, the combat was better.  Shame that the rest of the game sucked ;).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• RoyalkinRoyalkin Member UncommonPosts: 267

I think it's important to point out that just like any other person, Josh's statements are merely an opinion. Just simply because he is 'titled' doesn't lend his opinion any more weight. His impression of the game stems from his 'relative' enjoyment of it. Contrastingly, my impression of the game stems from my 'relative' disgust of it.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Okay I get that someone may value Swtor as good mmorpg, even a great one.

BUT

Best MMO EVER ?  Seriously? Ever?

hahahahahahaah

lol no

--------------------

btw. DA2 was awful like really awful game. Worst game by Bioware ever and worst game I played in like last 3 years. Seriously I had to FORCE myself to play it for few hours to give it a fair chance.

DA1 - was well. Good. Not great, but good. Better than average, had nice old school feel. Two flaws. Too MUCH combat. and felt simplified story, dialogue, mechanics and lore wise compared to Baldur's Gate 2.  Just hmm streamlined far too much.

• ad0102ad0102 Member UncommonPosts: 6

A lot of fans? yeah... tons people play? yeah...seriously fun? yeah...  best ever? i think not.. 

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

I'm sure that saying SWTOR is the best mmo ever after playing 20hours is just LOL, but i have played way more than that, and in my opinion , it is :D loved, today we where in our way for an 4+man heroic when a guildie of mine sees a Datacron on the top of a mountain, we spot a Beast like a shark with wings and we get a ride on it to the Datacron itself :D awsome pure awsomness, it is this little things and many more that make SWTOR the best by far.

• TyvolusTyvolus Member Posts: 190

Originally posted by Puremallace
    You want to start the mother of all flamefest theads guaranteed something gets locked post this:

After playing this game for about 20 hours I can honestly say that I don’t think I’ll ever be able to go back to World of Warcraft and that’s coming from a Blizzard fanboy. Old Republic changes your perception of not only what an MMO could be, but what an MMO should be. Studios like Blizzard could learn a thing or two from this game, and I really hope they do.

OMG - another wow player who loves SWTOR -- you are the target audience my friend. they sure as heck didnt make it for someone like me, who had UO as the first MMO they bought.

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Originally posted by Tyvolus

Originally posted by Puremallace

You want to start the mother of all flamefest theads guaranteed something gets locked post this:

After playing this game for about 20 hours I can honestly say that I don’t think I’ll ever be able to go back to World of Warcraft and that’s coming from a Blizzard fanboy. Old Republic changes your perception of not only what an MMO could be, but what an MMO should be. Studios like Blizzard could learn a thing or two from this game, and I really hope they do.

OMG - another wow player who loves SWTOR -- you are the target audience my friend. they sure as heck didnt make it for someone like me, who had UO as the first MMO they bought.

Well UO wasn't my first, but it was one I played for a VERY long time and enjoined every minute of it too. I like SW:TOR, not a fan of SW IP, but the game is tons of fun to play. Just saying....just because you're an old UO player doesn't mean all old UO players have the same game likes and dislikes as you. Please stop generalizing and using us in your justifications. 

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

?

Keep in mind that tastes differ.

That said, DA1 I find vastly, VASTLY better than DA2. I still enjoyed DA2 though. just to clarify a bit :).

Originally posted by pharazonic

The MMO is solid, but not new or groundbreaking. What IS new, however, is how you are sucked into the quests and lore with Bioware's cutscenes and voice-acting. Atleast its new to the MMO scene. It makes you feel part of the world, or rather even more so than the next Themepark MMO.

I don't need cutscene and voices to be sucke dinto the game. Please speak only for yourself. And I have felt just as much a spart of worlds in other games as I have in this one. If not more so, in games like AoC or Aion that feature extensive emotes, and character customization capabilities. 

To me, it's not that a quest is unique to me and that I impact the world by doing it, but rather getting motivated to do the quest by understanding why I'm asked to do so. To empathize with the NPC's instructing me. That itself makes the world come alive. This is the RPG part of MMORPG. The part you seem to forget. Roleplay.

SO MUCH WRONG WITH THIS STATEMENT URGH. 

First part: Again, speak for yourself. Also, you are not impacting the world AT ALL. That you enjoy the experience is a personal opinion and you're entitled to it. But to say that you impact the world? That's not true and this statement is factual.

Second part: Again, I don't need all thos ebells and whistles for the world to feel alive. But that's me and I don't expect it of anyone. What I do take an issue with is your misconception about roleplay. Roleplay is about interacting with other players, not interacting with NPCs. 

The "RPG" that you refer to is present in EVERY game where you take on a role of "another character" that is not you. "ROLEPLAYING" does not refer to that. 

What is wrong with you? OFFCOURSE Im speaking for myself.

And uhm.....Roleplay is not limited to interaction with real people. God. We're in a digital age. And how does ROLEPLAYING not refer to ROLEPLAYING GAME (RPG)? Sure, there are different levels of roleplay, but what the hell are you on about?