Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG Vets thoughts on SWTOR?

Comments

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Pre-CU vet here, and SWTOR is the worst hand-holding linear quest MMO i've played to date. It's even WORSE than WoW if that's even possible.

There is ZERO replayability with alts after your 2nd one. You simply know the "outlines" of the questline for each character after awhile, and you end up spamming spacebar just to move on to what you want to do. I honestly hope people start to wake up in a month or so, and realize there's nothing to do except repeatedly raiding & simplelist "Arena" based combat. Enjoy your endgame, it'll end that game :(.

Me personally, along with many of my friends, are waiting for: Planetside 2, Infinity: The Quest for Earth, EQ:Next, and probably ArchAge if they ever release it to the english speaking audience.

Make no mistake, I've let go of what happened to SWG a long time ago. However, "Story Driven" MMOs are NOT MMORPG's, and are nothing more than hand-holding "Co-Operative" games. I want DEPTH, and a breathing world. Not something painted there to look "alive". I gave up 3rd-grade mentality online games a LONG time ago. It's time for our genre to break out into where it should be :(.

Good call Fadedbomb, hope these folks at EA/BW get it together asap.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

SWTOR: Positives: Good Story Good Animation

Negatives: no Social aspect, everyone anti-social, bad pvp system, boring boring slideshow

SWG: I was so hooked on swg no game will compare to it, swtor is even worse then swg nge. swg nge features, swtor didnt even have. It's just a repeat of what happened to swg. I guess the closest we will ever get to it is Guild Wars 2 even though GW2 has no open world pvp.

Also, EA shouldn't be firing bioware, it's really EA's fault for rushing bioware into release so quickly. EA should fire EA. Bioware Should disband from working with EA, and work with another company.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by Jonoku

Also, EA shouldn't be firing bioware, it's really EA's fault for rushing bioware into release so quickly. EA should fire EA. Bioware Should disband from working with EA, and work with another company.

Sorry but no: BioWare had 6 years to make a MMO (roundly 1.5 the time has any other MMO studio) and around $200 Milion (over 3 times Rift budget, 4 AoC and well even way more than LotRo one).

It's BioWare that failed here not EA. They had more than enough time and budget to do an insanely good and polished MMO.

• LopidoLopido Member Posts: 17

Swtor is complete garbage.  Age of conan which i used to believe was the worst mmo ever is better then swtor

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Lopido

Swtor is complete garbage.  Age of conan which i used to believe was the worst mmo ever is better then swtor

You obviously didn't play Vanguard. SWTOR is no where near as bad as that was at launch.

• dirlokdirlok Member UncommonPosts: 16

Pre-CU Vet here. SWTOR is different game. Very different. Its not bad, but it didnt keep me interested long enough to play properly.

If you like good story and good quest lines, then you'll enjoy it. For me SWG was very much about the social and community aspect. SWTOR does not have a good community or social side of things. Its lacking a lot of the complexity of SWG, but that is only because its 'sandbox' vs 'themepark'

I'm not currently playing SWTOR, but not because its a bad game, its just not what I enjoy now.

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

They literally made a night to our day. Everything we hated about NGE times 10. A slap to our faces, they didn't even bother to try and get the 250k of us that loved SWG, they skipped us for the WOW crowd. This game is our arch rival, our villain. I tried it, it made me sick. The amount of wasted potential, disgusting corporate money grab.

People around here act like Bioware owes you something.

SWG was a failed game. Why would Bioware attempt to emulate it to draw in a small fanbase?

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by kobie173

They literally made a night to our day. Everything we hated about NGE times 10. A slap to our faces, they didn't even bother to try and get the 250k of us that loved SWG, they skipped us for the WOW crowd. This game is our arch rival, our villain. I tried it, it made me sick. The amount of wasted potential, disgusting corporate money grab.

SWG was a failed game. Why would Bioware attempt to emulate it to draw in a small fanbase?

It did not even draw in the WOW crowd!

Bioware copied the iconic professions of the NGE, and replaced some with more Jedi, and then enhanced the Legacy series of quests with cinematics and dialogue options. There is is still more varied quests in other MMOs like WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, and less chance of doing the same quests if levelling up an alt, but better than SWG though - All professions did eactly the same series of quests. Then they just dropped everything that SWG had (chronicles, player cities/housing, decent crafting system, space, Beast Master etc), and replaced with no alternatives game systems

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246
    Originally posted by dirlok

Pre-CU Vet here. SWTOR is different game. Very different. Its not bad, but it didnt keep me interested long enough to play properly.

If you like good story and good quest lines, then you'll enjoy it. For me SWG was very much about the social and community aspect. SWTOR does not have a good community or social side of things. Its lacking a lot of the complexity of SWG, but that is only because its 'sandbox' vs 'themepark'

I'm not currently playing SWTOR, but not because its a bad game, its just not what I enjoy now.

SWTOR was the loneliest, most single-player centric "MMORPG" I have ever seen.  I've seen some MMORPGs where multiplayer isn't a priority, but SWTOR really kills it.  Group play is ultra-rare.  You have NPC henchmen following you around.  You can take multiple crafting professions per character, and you can mail stuff between all your characters on that server, regardless of faction.

You literally don't need anybody out there.

The voiceovers is outstanding overall, IMO.  The stories are so-so, some better than others who are quite plain.

But BioWare forgot to make use of the "Massive" and "Multiplayer" part of "MMORPG."  It's really a SPRPG that happens to require an internet connection.  It's a SPRPG KOTOR that requires you to pay money every month.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• LypheusLypheus Member UncommonPosts: 82

Pre-CU here, SWTOR was a waste of time - it felt more WoW like than anything i've played in a long time.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

While I enjoyed some of the stories and gameplay (I leveled a Jedi Sentinal and a Trooper to level cap...Also played Sith Inquisitor and BH quite a bit), in the end SWTOR lacked so much of the depth and MMO functions I've come to expect from Games like SWG, LOTRO, and others...It simply did not keep my interest...Plus the planning involved by the Devs once a Player gets to level Cap was the worst I've ever seen in any Game...I don't PvP, so I was hoping to Group with my Guild a ton to do end game content like hard-mode Flashpoints and Operations...But there is no progression from when you first hit level cap to the big stuff...A minute after you kill the Emperor you get two-hit by a nameless Boss in a HM Flashpoint...It's just stupid and poorly planned...The RPG aspect is lacking...I never felt like I was progressing to be this incredible Jedi...The customization is a joke, especially where basic Character Customization and Appearence is concerned (4 body types?....wtf)...And a weapon or peice of armor you build with Mods you bought or earned, you have to PAY to remove those Mods if you want to keep them or move them around???...So you're paying to remove something you already own? Huh?...lol...And Space? Rails? Really?...

The Game was completely below my expectations dispite it's decent qualities...It, IMHO, was the biggest disappointment in my ten years of MMO experience...But that's JMO...image

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Originally posted by kobie173

Turns out that BioWare might of had a little bit of a better result if they had of emulated and updated 1 of the many versions of SWG.

TOR's now down to 26 servers, same as SWG, and those seem to be droping rather quickly as well.  At least SWG maintained the 26 servers after NGE and until C6CD in some small fashion.  (Kauri sure wasn't large by any means in the NGE, but it certainly had enough to play the game as it was intended for the most part)  And, SWG was basicly 3-4 different games due to the many times they tried to CHANGE the game to draw in that elusive WoW crowd, costing basicly an existing sub-base on every occasion.

I have heard that SWG sold way over a mil+ boxes in it's lifetime.  It surely might have done them better to have chosen 1 of the versions and re-made that rather than a WoW clone with lightsabers (basicly "the perfect NGE").  Expecialy after all the other WoW clones failed to knock off WoW.  It was actualy rather easy to see this outcome if someone looked hard enough.

But your right, BioWare owed us nothing.  However, I would imagine that EA might now believe the NGE devs BioWare hired from SOE Austin, to plan the initial game might just not have had as great an idea as they thought they did.

• ZenoLocZenoLoc Member UncommonPosts: 71

Pre-CU Vet.  SWTOR to me was like a turd wrapped in bacon.  Looked great till you took a bite of it.

But the reason I didn't like it had nothing to do with SWG, I think it stood on it's own as trash regardless of the skin they put on it.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Royalkin

You should clarify Pre-CU vets, or post-NGE vets. There is a huge difference.

And what is this difference? Pre-CU are the real players, that type of thing? 

Stinks of elitism around here...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Biggest piece of shit let down of an MMORPG that I have ever played.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    Pretty good. A thread started back in Dec. of 2011 has been resurrected. Isn't time to move along?

Let's party like it is 1863!

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

Let's stop with the constant necro of this dead thread. Please lock thread.

Original thread was made in Dec 2011 asking if he should give SWTOR a try.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Denambren

Let's stop with the constant necro of this dead thread. Please lock thread.

Original thread was made in Dec 2011 asking if he should give SWTOR a try.

Mom?

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• minime2minime2 Member Posts: 113
    Originally posted by TUX426
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

a solid world PvP system is currently absent from the game.

Then you're doing it wrong.

World PvP is VERY MUCH there. I've been ganked, done the ganking, been rolled by 50's, beat up on people a little lower than me and I've done it on Tatooine, Alderaan, Nar Shadaa and Balmora - that's all the farther I am, but I have heard of Imps on Hoth as well.

Not a night goes by where our tiny guild isn't running into PvP.

Stop smoking that weed tux your dreaming SWTOR is the biggest pile of bantha poodoo ever made .

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Sorry TUX, there's no world pvp, even on pvp servers.

I lost interest in TOR in around February but added another 60 day timecard to stick with the guildies in hardmodes and operations and kept doing some pvp, but pvp just grew worse and worse over time and doing stuff at level 50 is very limited, so yeah this game is shallow in replay value. Single player with online co-op is at best, the free 2 play restrictions blows hard (10 warzones a week, 1 flashpoint a week, no operations, can't get past level 50 after Mekab expansion?).

• Nikoz78Nikoz78 Member UncommonPosts: 910
    SW: TOR is pure garbage.

I miss the good ol' days when nerds were actually intelligent.

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

I played SWG pre cu and cam back a few years later and played about a full year before the servers were shut down. So having played both side the SWG I must say personally I enjoyed SWG much more then TOR.

I have always been the sand box type, I enjoyed SWG pre cu because of that fact. Even when I cam back it still had a much more sandbox style then most mmos out at the time. TOR is a great game dont get me wrong, I enjoyed my time in the game but it had nothing to keep me coming back after I reached lvl cap on 3 characters. 

So now I dabble in FE and EVE and play other games here and there. Looking forward to GW2, but I forsee myself maxing a few characters and finding something else to keep me occupied until a new update. 

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    Originally posted by sookster54

Sorry TUX, there's no world pvp, even on pvp servers.

I lost interest in TOR in around February but added another 60 day timecard to stick with the guildies in hardmodes and operations and kept doing some pvp, but pvp just grew worse and worse over time and doing stuff at level 50 is very limited, so yeah this game is shallow in replay value. Single player with online co-op is at best, the free 2 play restrictions blows hard (10 warzones a week, 1 flashpoint a week, no operations, can't get past level 50 after Mekab expansion?).

They have not said anything to my knowledge that if you buy the expansion as F2P if you get to play there or you have to pay I think they will but with the same restrictions and I remeber reading somewhere that you can buy more tokens to run more flash points as F2P I will try to find and link it.

I just started playing the Free Trial last week and already think the game has alot of good for F2P players considering I am one. They have a good game that will do quite well as F2P.

I to am a Post- NGE Vet and I think SWTOR has alot of good game play and features I dont care for the holding hand path thing but other then that it feels Star Wars which I am a fan of all 6 movies and the Cartoon network show me and my son love it. I just hope they add races to be bought by F2P other wise I dont mind race restrictions I can still be Sith or Republic. This game isnt the best SW game made but it offers a decent amount for now and I am sure in time this game will add more to it once f2P cash starts rolling in.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

It did not even draw in the WOW crowd!

And why would it? WoW does WoW better. It runs smoother, and has more content (even has about as much 'space' as SWTOR).

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I had a conversation last night on vent with someone that reads up alot about SWTOR, he mentioned that they may be adding pay your way to level 50, so you pay to get level 20,30,40,50 but you still have to grind to get weapons and armor and finish the storyline if you want companions. But pay your way to top level? Oh god, I hope BW doesn't stoop that low.