Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG Vets thoughts on SWTOR?

Comments

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Played SWG from 2004 to late 2005. There was things I liked (player run economy)and things I didn't like(broken professions, bugs), but I stuck around because it was Star Wars and I was a part of a cool guild that had its own city outside of Bestine. Once the WOW patch was implemented they all left and since crappy FPS games aren't my thing, so did I. I went back a few times in the next few years but it was so horrible that I finally gave up.

I enjoy TOR for the most part. The leveling experience is hands down the best I've ever experienced. If you actually care about lore and role playing then this willl be what keeps you playing. The companion system is very fun to play around with , but they need to work on making more craftable gear worth buying. This is supposed to be helped by the 1.2 patch so I'm taking a wait and see attitude on this. PVP is only a side diversion for me, but it also needs a masssive overhaul as does the space part. The space game should have been left off for a future expansion instead of the rush job we got here.

Basically , if you consider PRE-CU SWG your favorite game then chances are you will not like TOR. It's a themepark game, not a sandbox.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

its pants I'd take SWG as it stood on the final day over swtor any day of the week.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

SWTOR from the perspective a day-1 SWG Veteran:

"A horrible mockery of what a product means to be an 'MMO'. It has absolutely ZERO depth, challenge, or differentiation between characters. It's a one-ride pony, once you've ridden it you look around for a reason to stay."

Enjoy :)

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

Day 1 vet, you can't compare the two really. I enjoy TOR and it is currently my mmo of choice. If SWG were to relaunch with updated graphics and pre cu gameplay that would be my game of choice but since it is dead and gone I play the best SW game that there is to play right now, TOR.

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

As with any singleplayer game you have a start and an end, play through and have fun. It even has coop function.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

I played all 3 basic versions of SWG and all 3 versions had game breaking bugs.  As a matter of fact, there were many bugs still in the game the day it was finally shut down, that it had on the day it went live.  Now granted, this seems to be a staple for SOE games, so I probably shouldn't hold it against them, but I do and always will.  The one thing I did like about SWG was it's shear possibilities, but they never materialized.  Actually, they were stomped into the mud and buried shortly after WoW came out.  The economy was pretty good though, but all in all, I never really participated in that much since I was trying to find a reason to stay with the game.

SWTOR on the other hand fits me and my lifestyle.  I want a game that is fun to play, a game I can put down for a week or two and not be worried I will be loosing out somehow, a game that has a decent story, and a game that I can actually interact with other people.  For the first time in years, I actually WANT to team up with people.  This game actually has decent incentives to team, so I find myself actually looking for teams and never taking very long to find them.  It has good animations (including alternate animations for many powers), good art, and GREAT background music.

One thing I will say though, is that there are a few problems with SWTOR.  The biggest one being that even with the huge amount of content and gigantic world size, there will never be enough content to keep people completely happy there.  That is more of a player problem than a game problem, but it is there.  Also, there needs to be more options in the character creator and crafting system.  It has a decent start, but with a game over four months old now, I would expect better.  Lastly, while I actually enjoy the space combat, I can see where many would want more from that and I certainly would not complain if they came up with a parrallel system that allowed for space exploration and "team" combat.

All in all, the game is just over 4 months old and pretty darn good.  It has some rough spots, but last I checked, all MMOs do.  Even the 800 pound gorilla of MMOs it constantly being tweeked and added too.  So far BioWare has been responsive to problems and has already added content in the short time it has been live.  Not a bad start really.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Originally posted by thamighty213

its pants I'd take SWG as it stood on the final day over swtor any day of the week.

SWTOR is far better than SWG on its best day after 11.15.05.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249

I had a love/hate relationship with SWG, I never liked really pre-CU, the CU was the right thing and the NGE was too much, but still better than pre-CU. I won't get into a  lenghty discussion on why but that's the way I feel.

Funny thing is still today I some times miss it, the red headed bastard. I think it was the open world, the player made customizations, the music the few times it was good, the crafting, the non-static feel of all the housing and using any item as furniture. The Beastmaster pet combat and creating pets was very good. I guess the Jedi unlock system was kinda interesting, since I did it on two acounts, I was a village guy. The trading card game was an outrage tough.

Man TOR would be so much better with a few dashes of SWG.

• Mmmdrop808Mmmdrop808 Member Posts: 4

TOR would have been awesome with a lot of SWG. My husband and I were really looking forward to SWTOR, but were totally let down. Seems to us anyways that they put  way too much emphasis on cinematics and voice overs, and didn't bother adding enough substance to the game. For being a Star Wars mmo, we really expected a lot more, but instead it felt more like playing a console game.

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591

Day one pre-cu until NGE former player:

The two are vastly diffent.

SWG was the ultimate Sandbox mmo. Awesome player economy, best crafting ever, player cities, open world pvp with player bases. Full of bugs and hardly any quests.

SWTOR is almost the complete opposite. It is the ultimate themepark mmo.

I enjoyed playing both but SWG imo was the better game. The most fun I ever had in a mmo was hunting Jedi with my bounty hunter. Good times.

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Originally posted by Mmmdrop808

TOR would have been awesome with a lot of SWG. My husband and I were really looking forward to SWTOR, but were totally let down. Seems to us anyways that they put  way too much emphasis on cinematics and voice overs, and didn't bother adding enough substance to the game. For being a Star Wars mmo, we really expected a lot more, but instead it felt more like playing a console game.

I don't know why people expected TOR to be SWG2. At no point during its development was it ever even remotely promoted as such.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by kobie173

I don't know why people expected TOR to be SWG2. At no point during its development was it ever even remotely promoted as such.

It was promoted as a MMO, which it is far from being one.

I guess SWG is mentioned here as these are the SWG forums, but SWTOR lacks a lot of MMO substance that is in all other MMOs - all Everquests including EQOA for the Playstation 2, LOTRO, WOW, Warhammer, Aion, Vanguard, City of Heroes, etc

But still SWG was far more worthwhile than all those mentioned MMOs - The player cities/housing, crafting system, beast master system or BE before that, the chronicle system, atmospheric flight, space etc made you spoilt for any other kind of MMO.

SWTOR is more like a console single player game with multiplayer options than a proper MMO, especially the space part - single player all the way - in a MMO? Pathetic.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by donpopuki

SWTOR is almost the complete opposite. It is the ultimate themepark mmo.

Close, but I would have to say that WoW is the ultimate themepark MMO.

TOR is just a clunkier, slower moving, geographically restriced version version of WoW with less features and more lightsabers.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I don't think Mmmdrop808 was specifically looking for SWG2 in SWTOR.  I think she was just looking for a Star Wars MMORPG experience, which SWTOR doesn't even try to deliver.

If SWTOR was released as a single player game only that you only connected on the internet for co-op or competitive multiplayer like PvP, then it would be an outstanding game like the regular KOTOR.  But it was being touted as an MMORPG, and if you are going to play that role in the genre, it needs to be an alot deeper gaming experience.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

To be honest if they were still updating SWG, I would rather re-sub to that occasionally than SWTOR. All I see is SWTOR going down and down and down. Go EA!

I wish theyd bring back the classless-ness of it though :( but thats too far ago.

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by Warmaker

I don't think Mmmdrop808 was specifically looking for SWG2 in SWTOR.  I think she was just looking for a Star Wars MMORPG experience, which SWTOR doesn't even try to deliver.

If SWTOR was released as a single player game only that you only connected on the internet for co-op or competitive multiplayer like PvP, then it would be an outstanding game like the regular KOTOR.  But it was being touted as an MMORPG, and if you are going to play that role in the genre, it needs to be an alot deeper gaming experience.

I'm going to have to QFE this. Speaking for myself, I knew full well what I was getting into with SWTOR and never expected it to be SWG 2.0. But that game is not an MMO. As stated before, it is an outstanding Single Player Game with some online co-op features. Why it is being marketted as such and charging a subscription fee is beyond me.

• MatchuMatchu Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Originally posted by ericlatrelle

I'm going to have to QFE this. Speaking for myself, I knew full well what I was getting into with SWTOR and never expected it to be SWG 2.0. But that game is not an MMO. As stated before, it is an outstanding Single Player Game with some online co-op features. Why it is being marketted as such and charging a subscription fee is beyond me.

Indeed....its a single player game and even then IMHO wasn't particularly good. Overall I was very disappointed with SWTOR. I cannot see SWTOR surviving for too long given its current subscription basis....everyone I know that played has quit....and that is c15 people. They have gone back to WoW or single player games like Skyrim or Diablo 3...

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295

Right now i miss the like button.

Good post!

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275

I will be nice as I promised Mikeb I would be, as a Bloodfin vet and former member of DREAD this game in no way shape or form ever gave me the thrill that SWG did, in fact managing to my harvesters was more fun and took more effort then the entire SWTOR game.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Pre-CU vet here.....I have been playing off and on a few months now in TOR. also today my last day since i'm unsubbing and hanging up my starwars MMO hat for good.

It lacks so many thing's that even the NGE had it's not funny. for the sake of sitting here trying to spell correctly and try to make a point, the bottom line is....

To Much like vanilla Wow and really,it's a themepark. they pretty much have no idea what they want to do with the game but make a better themepark with everything on rails.

They will NOT listen to veteran players of any game so they like all game developers could really give a crap about your suggestions to help improve the game.

Not much else to to say...it will be fully free to play with 5 months.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I will try to be nice as I can.  I am day 1 player from Intrepid server.  SWg was a much better game even with the NGE it was a much better game.

SWTOR might have great cinematic cut scenes but that is all it has, the rest is a single player game with a mix mash of broken group content.  If the NGE was still running I would rather subscribe to it, and if any of you have read my post on how much I hated the NGE and SOE for what they did, that says a lot. I even went to the Atlanta summit in 2006 to talk directly with Helios, lead dev at the time. Some of you might remember the rant I had about this is not how you run a business, followed by the kid who wanted them to ban enemy players who parked outside his town and declared war on his guild.

SWTOR was a real let down, it really is not a mmo,  100% solo-able except a few of the story lines and the operations and flash-points.  It is poorly done,  and don't even get me started on space combat.  Yes I even beta tested the JTL expansion, it took something like 6-8 cd disk back in the day just to install it. 

I just have to say the two games are night and day except swtor tried to build on what the nge was, and totally missed the mark.

What a waste of o totally good ip.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Except for the IP, there really is no comparison. If you were to strip the IP and imagine each game with some other setting, you wouldn't compare them because it wouldn't make sense. The players attracted to each game would have VERY different styles of play.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• NevarionNevarion Member Posts: 274

Pre-CU Vet as well. We, as in players, burn through content quicker than a developer can reasonably churn out.

That's a prime aspect of SWG as of old to having us enabled to make our own story/content/fun/whatever. Not being put on rails. Made for a different community I guess.

I still remember the first RP I had the honor to be, noobish but, part of... even got explained emoting. Players make games live.

I don't remember anything like that at all for SWTOR. Mob competitive on-rails game with a defined track stop, time sinks and a e-peen ladder of sorts (which got exploited oh-so-fast!).

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176

Well. I'm still subscribed to it only because it is the only Star Wars MMO (and I use MMO very loosely) that is out. If SOE was to reopen SWG, no matter what version of the game, I would subscribe in a heartbeat. The only thing I like about SWTOR is the Z-axis combat and how the Sentinel/Marauder play. I actually feel like a Jedi/Sith compared to SWG. And I'm talking about the NGE version. Never got a chance to play as a Jedi before that cause SOE yanked the rug up from under me before I could unlock.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Only one thing to say: out of the hundreds players that I enjoyed SWG with only a handful are still subscribed to TOR and we all were eager to play again together a SW based MMO.