Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seems like the game has peaked on XFire

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

The key question for this thread is:

Could the GW2 weekend have accounted for the drop - and the answer must be 'possibly'.

If so then there should be a corresponding uptick when its all over.

• ukforzeukforze Member Posts: 331

Originally posted by Thillian

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

Or maybe less people are using Xfire? I don't. I've always thought Xfire is the worst way of tracking MMO populations because not everyone uses it. It's irrelevant.

Noone uses it? It says 20.000.000 accounts registered and currently there're 130.000 players online. That IS A GARGANTUAL SAMPLE SIZE, in terms of statistics. This is far more accurate than any "election estimates, which are made on 1.000 sample size". Xfire operates at maybe 0.02% deviation,  it is as accurate as mathematics can be. There might be a discussion about what sort of players tend to use x-fire more often than others, but for what it is, it is extremely accurate.

How on earth can it be accurate, when only a percentage of gamers use it!?

Not a single person in our TS/Guild uses it, so it can never be truely accurate unless

every gamer used it, simple.

**EDIT**

Oh & it's also irrelivant how many user/accounts their are, i guarantee a large percentage

are inactive or dead accounts.

The Deathstar destroyed planets...Lucas Arts destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Played:
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT | BP | SW:TOR

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by gervaise1

The key question for this thread is:

Could the GW2 weekend have accounted for the drop - and the answer must be 'possibly'.

If so then there should be a corresponding uptick when its all over.

3043 on 4/28.  Typically the 2nd most active day of the week and barely cracks 3000... surely the GW2 beta had a part in the drop, but I still think you're looking at a slowing, but steady decline.  The thing to worry about for TOR - this was only the beta... when GW2 actually launches, I'd expect a much greater impact.

Originally posted by ukforze

snip

Not a single person in our TS/Guild uses it, so it can never be truely accurate unless

**EDIT**

Oh & it's also irrelivant how many user/accounts their are, i guarantee a large percentage

Sigh. This has been covered. It is called statistics. It is 'accurate' with a margin of error. Now the margin of error might be 20% but it is not 'out of the ballpark' from what we have observed. And I had better say that the data being tracked is primarily the number of users not the XFire graph you see which is hours played.

The 'neither I nor any of my friends use Yahoo - so it doesn't exist' argument is meaningless.

If you want to challenge why the data post something constructive. Others have and so far it stands up. One poster came up with "XFire can't be right because it still has SWG users". A good point - and someone posted that there were unofficial servers out there (which I didn't know).

So far XFire has tracked. From the Early Access ramp up; a peak that tied in to extra sales that EA reported; every single promotion that EA have run; low numbers that tie into a massive marketing campaign.

Challenge the data by all means but "I'm a luddite this can't be right" approach - leave it at home.

No one is claiming that because the XFire number is c. 25% of its highest point SWTOR has lost 75% of its users. It isn't that simple - see posts above. The only people claiming 'absolutes' are people claiming its useless.

Inactive or dead accounts

I could ask you to prove this but we know you can't. What I will point out however is that SWTOR is a new game. 4 months old. Sleeper accounts used to happen when there were very few games around. Today I don't think they are that common - but other than pointing out that games that report subs / those we can guesstimate from financial reports like Funcom it is difficult to prove either way.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Originally posted by Thillian

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

Or maybe less people are using Xfire? I don't. I've always thought Xfire is the worst way of tracking MMO populations because not everyone uses it. It's irrelevant.

Noone uses it? It says 20.000.000 accounts registered and currently there're 130.000 players online. That IS A GARGANTUAL SAMPLE SIZE, in terms of statistics. This is far more accurate than any "election estimates, which are made on 1.000 sample size". Xfire operates at maybe 0.02% deviation,  it is as accurate as mathematics can be. There might be a discussion about what sort of players tend to use x-fire more often than others, but for what it is, it is extremely accurate.

**EDIT**

Hmmmmmm the force in this one strong is.

snip

Forgot to add explicitly that the whole concept of 'a margin of error' is that this allows for 'not every gamer using it'. This is behind every shopping survey, the research of new drugs involving patients (some get the new drug, some don't - oh deary me how can the results be accurate we didn't test it on every person with the disease it might not work on Fred ...) 

Flat week, slightly above 3000. Lowest sunday.

WoW and Aion seem to be on a descending trend too.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

snip

Forgot to add explicitly that the whole concept of 'a margin of error' is that this allows for 'not every gamer using it'. This is behind every shopping survey, the research of new drugs involving patients (some get the new drug, some don't - oh deary me how can the results be accurate we didn't test it on every person with the disease it might not work on Fred ...) 

Please calculate the margin of error for XFire. Anyone please calculate a margin of error for XFire. Calculate anything really. There's too much guesswork involved with it. Even the statement "there are fewer players now than three weeks ago" has to be qualified with probably because you can't prove anything with it.

It's just a poor tool to use to make any sort of point.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Possible future scenarios and consequences:

SWTOR has offcially 3.000.000+ paying subscribers -> xFire is very worthless.

SWTOR has officially 2.000.000 paying subscribers -> xFire is worthless.

SWTOR has officially 1.000.000 paying subscribers -> xFire is good to show a descending or ascending trend.

SWTOR has officially -500.000 paying subscribers -> xFire is a good indicator of general population.

There you have it. We just have to sit and wait.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    3173 today

Originally posted by lizardbones

snip

Please calculate the margin of error for XFire. Anyone please calculate a margin of error for XFire. Calculate anything really. There's too much guesswork involved with it. Even the statement "there are fewer players now than three weeks ago" has to be qualified with probably because you can't prove anything with it.

We are not sure. That is what this thread is about. You seem to want people to ignore it because it's not perfect, we will see if it is a poor tool or not when EA issue more numbers, it has mirrored trends in other games so it is better than no tool at all (which appears to be your preferred option).

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Statistical margin of error is: 2,58 * ((p - p ^ 2) / n) ^ 0,5, where

n = total hours played on X-Fire

p = presentage of total hours used to play SWTOR

Counting from X-Fire statistics, n is more than 680 000, p = 2,5555%, and margin of error is 0,05%.

Calculating that was totally useless since there's a good reason to believe that the sample isn't representative of overall SWTOR's playerbase.

snip

I did 'have a go' a while - an estimate of the margin of error obviously because the EA data is a) scarce and b) fuzzy. It also depends on what you assume etc. but, if I recall correct;y, I looked at end of year numbers and the February numbers. Came out to about 20%. Is it right - no idea.

Does this - if it was correct - make it a poor tool. Arguably so - but a tool nevertheless that seems to reflect what is happening.

Before SWTOR launched it was going to have 2M subs on day 1 rising to 3M by summer etc. EA have not said anything to suggest this is not so - their actions suggest otherwise but they haven't said anything. The poor XFire tool suggests that numbers have tanked however; and that numbers are lower than last week that the patch + promotion hasn't hacked it. Now if you want to know the exact number - sorry wrong thread. 

Edit: Total hours are not very useful but the average hours played, as recorded by XFire, matched the numbers pushed out by EA as well - another example (as covered in this thread) that XFire is 'OK'.  

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Originally posted by Metentso

SWTOR has officially 1.000.000 paying subscribers -> xFire is good to show a descending or ascending trend.

SWTOR has officially -500.000 paying subscribers -> xFire is a good indicator of general population.

XFire isn't worthless. SWTOR isn't the first video game that is tracked there and in the past XFire trends for other games were in line with numbers that came from other sources. XFire doesn't count subs. It counts players and hours played. Day-to-day deviations in XFire figures don't reflect changes in subs. But most people don't stay subscribed to games they don't play anymore so in the long term both trends correlate quite well.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

Originally posted by Vrika

Statistical margin of error is: 2,58 * ((p - p ^ 2) / n) ^ 0,5, where

n = total hours played on X-Fire

p = presentage of total hours used to play SWTOR

Counting from X-Fire statistics, n is more than 680 000, p = 2,5555%, and margin of error is 0,05%.

Calculating that was totally useless since there's a good reason to believe that the sample isn't representative of overall SWTOR's playerbase.

We are not using hours but unique users. 

Originally posted by wowfan1996

XFire isn't worthless. SWTOR isn't the first video game that is tracked there and in the past XFire trends for other games were in line with numbers that came from other sources. XFire doesn't count subs. It counts players and hours played. Day-to-day deviations in XFire figures don't reflect changes in subs. But most people don't stay subscribed to games they don't play anymore so in the long term both trends correlate quite well.

That makes sense yes.

In past experiences, how did it correlate? A 50% drop for instance, in xFire, would be also a 50% drop in the game, after a while?

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

snip

Here is a margin for error for ya .. AoC , Warhammer, Aion , Hellgtae, DCUO, Dungeon Runner, Darkfall... etc , they all showed the same trends.. and the reult is always the same..  0 margin of error. in that... 

Its only the Facts and never let it interfere with your perceived truth ...

The game is dying and will be lucky to have 350k subs by Sept..

• RodimusPrimeRodimusPrime Member Posts: 114

Originally posted by Scorchien

snip

Here is a margin for error for ya .. AoC , Warhammer, Aion , Hellgtae, DCUO, Dungeon Runner, Darkfall... etc , they all showed the same trends.. and the reult is always the same..  0 margin of error. in that... 

Some facts there i tell ya... good grief

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

I think its a decent tool, and like seeing people posting graphs, and would like them to continue :)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by mikahr

I think its a decnt tool, and like seeing people posting graphs, and would like them to continue :)

its an indicator perhaps, but, you really didnt need to look at xfire to see that there are people leaving the game, anyone who has played the game will have seen the numbers dwindling..  all xfire does is really confirm something we already knew anyway.image

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by mikahr

I think its a decnt tool, and like seeing people posting graphs, and would like them to continue :)

its an indicator perhaps, but, you really didnt need to look at xfire to see that there are people leaving the game, anyone who has played the game will have seen the numbers dwindling..  all xfire does is really confirm something we already knew anyway.image

You don't need to play the game to see that there are people leaving the game, anyone looking at xFire will have seen it. All you do is confirm something we already knew anyway, and not conditioned to one server.

See what I did there.

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

See what I did there.

You're doing it wrong.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

That makes sense yes.
    In past experiences, how did it correlate? A 50% drop for instance, in xFire, would be also a 50% drop in the game, after a while?
    One good example would be Aion. IIRC, the game settled at #9 in XFire chart 3-4 months after release. Now it's #12. MMOData shows that Aion had ~1.42 times more subs back then. Currently #9 is World of Tanks and currently it has ~1.48 times more time played on XFire than Aion. I use time played here because XFire ranks by time played. I understand this is a very crude method and I picked two random games. Ironically, it still gave me a good idea of what happened to Aion during the last 2 years (as confirmed by MMOData).

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• RodimusPrimeRodimusPrime Member Posts: 114
    Wow nothing left of this dead horse but sludge. 
  • RasputinRasputin Member UncommonPosts: 602

2939 today.

I think we will see it constantly be under 3000 from now on.

This discussion has been closed.