Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seems like the game has peaked on XFire

Comments

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Rasputin

Originally posted by Metentso

You should use players rather than hours. I only have players since feb 6th though.

Yes, that is the problem, otherwise I would.

The thing about hours is that it tends to be a forecast for players.  People who are playing less and less per day are often losing interest.  Of course there's a peak when the game is new, and it naturally drops off some, but a more substantial drop in hours will very likely be followed by a drop in subs.  Which is to say, its still a pretty bad sign, to see a chart nosedive like that.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411

Originally posted by Nazgol

I am not sure were people are seeing this great decline they are talking about.  I have been checking the server status every night since this thread came up and I have not seen the drastic decline so many have claimed. Also FYI the website server status does not seem to be in sync(lagging behind) with the server status when you run the game client.

Same here. The hate for this game is on ridiculous levels.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by Monorojo

I am not sure were people are seeing this great decline they are talking about.  I have been checking the server status every night since this thread came up and I have not seen the drastic decline so many have claimed. Also FYI the website server status does not seem to be in sync(lagging behind) with the server status when you run the game client.

There is no hate just facing reality, and all servers across the board when looking at them as a whole have dropped. More and more servers are appaering as Light, when there was none not that long ago. Obviosly there are some servers that highly populated and virtually full, but not enough as there should be, at this stage of the games life. If you are on one of these heavy servers, then can see why you see no problem.

The game just does not hold people at 50, and people get to 50 fast, even those who take things slowly. I am hoping the devs will do stuff to make the game more worthwhile to sub to. Bioware knows the truth, and that is all that counts, but if the game stays in this lacklustre state, then the game will not be around for long.

All that is needed is to keep the game as it is, and then Bioware adds stuf to make people want to subscribe. That is what we want, we do not want the game to fail, but things need to be happening a lot faster than it is, betore it is too late. They said stuff is already written, so should not be a problem.

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

Than you need to get your eyes checked.

Last week there were 20+ heavy servers.

Today? 8

Not even VERY heavy servers, which people have pretty much forgotten about, and don't even talk to me about full. They get 1 full server on weekends, IF THEY'RE LUCKY

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

Originally posted by Yamota

I know you should not do this but just for fun. Eve has aprox. 1200 players playing per day and for the same day SW:TOR has 4900. Eve's subscriber numbers are known to be around 350.000 which would mean that the XFire factor is 350k/1200 = 292.
    292*4900 = 1.4 million SW:TOR subs. I don't think that is such an unreasonable number seeing as it had 1.7 million a month ago.

Oh great this will bring 50 more pages of discussion :)

On SWTOR behalf, I'd say that EVE players are more likely to use xFire than Swtor's players.

Yeah I know the number is not guaranteed in any way so that is why I said I did it just for fun. image

However the number, 1.4 million, is not that bad at all. If there was 1.7 million a month ago then I would not find it unreasonable if Bioware would say it is 1.4 million after the end of this month. I would wager a couple of houndreds of k's less but still around that number sounds reasonable.

If you know for a fact that there was 1.7 million a month ago (where do you have this number?), why don't you just interpolate the x-fire trend from a month ago? Wouldn't that be alot more predictable than some cross-game maths, that is doomed to be madly unreliable, as the games are very different, and therefore players play them at different lengths?

The best I can do for a month is this (both days are sundays):

Jan 22 = 59053

Feb 19 = 35943

35943 / 59053 = 0.609

1.700.000 * 0.609 = 1.035.000 subscribers

A little over one million subscribers is still decent, but whether it is true is a good question. However, what is very disturbing, is that the game lost almost 40% of its subscribers (or rather, gametime, as that is what x-fire measures) in just one month!

That is an extreme downturn, that will see the game into the ground in just 1½ months if that trend continues.

You should use players rather than hours. I only have players since feb 6th though.

Took a bit of of searching, but I got numbers of those dates:

Jan 22 = 9477 players

Feb 19 = 6330 players

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Vhaln

The thing about hours is that it tends to be a forecast for players.  People who are playing less and less per day are often losing interest.  Of course there's a peak when the game is new, and it naturally drops off some, but a more substantial drop in hours will very likely be followed by a drop in subs.  Which is to say, its still a pretty bad sign, to see a chart nosedive like that.

For any MMO, players tend to play 6 to 10 hrs on average the first weeks after launch, while it settles to the common 4-5 hours on average after that first month, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less.
  • jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726

Originally posted by Monorojo

its a love/hate for me. i love star wars, and the game is fun. but, it just isnt there in terms of usability, depth, or complexity. they are really missing a huge load of features that should have been in there, and the bugs are just running rampant. it never should have been released when it was. (imo)

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

I think using Xfire as a way to gauge gaming populations probably isn't the best way to go about it. There are tons of people who don't even use Xfire. I would have to say it is pretty inaccurate as to how the game is doing.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Originally posted by Beacker

I think using Xfire as a way to gauge gaming populations probably isn't the best way to go about it. There are tons of people who don't even use Xfire. I would have to say it is pretty inaccurate as to how the game is doing.

[mod edit]

On a more serious note, heavy plummet since yesterday. Easily all-time low now.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Originally posted by smh_alot

I know you should not do this but just for fun. Eve has aprox. 1200 players playing per day and for the same day SW:TOR has 4900. Eve's subscriber numbers are known to be around 350.000 which would mean that the XFire factor is 350k/1200 = 292.

292*4900 = 1.4 million SW:TOR subs. I don't think that is such an unreasonable number seeing as it had 1.7 million a month ago.

On SWTOR behalf, I'd say that EVE players are more likely to use xFire than Swtor's players.

Yeah I know the number is not guaranteed in any way so that is why I said I did it just for fun. image

However the number, 1.4 million, is not that bad at all. If there was 1.7 million a month ago then I would not find it unreasonable if Bioware would say it is 1.4 million after the end of this month. I would wager a couple of houndreds of k's less but still around that number sounds reasonable.

If you know for a fact that there was 1.7 million a month ago (where do you have this number?), why don't you just interpolate the x-fire trend from a month ago? Wouldn't that be alot more predictable than some cross-game maths, that is doomed to be madly unreliable, as the games are very different, and therefore players play them at different lengths?

Jan 22 = 59053

Feb 19 = 35943

35943 / 59053 = 0.609

A little over one million subscribers is still decent, but whether it is true is a good question. However, what is very disturbing, is that the game lost almost 40% of its subscribers (or rather, gametime, as that is what x-fire measures) in just one month!

That is an extreme downturn, that will see the game into the ground in just 1½ months if that trend continues.

Jan 22 = 9477 players

Feb 19 = 6330 players

Hope this helps.

Hey where did you find that? I'd like to have players before february 6th.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Geez. Reading this thread and would have never thought about that! Thanks for your contribution!

That isn't really that strange, since the last day it shows is Feb 22 when there was a patch and downtime for it. We'll see what numbers will say today.

@Metentso: I wrote some stuff down for several days bc I was curious about it, esp weekend figures bc there's no interference with downtime for service maintenance and patches and such. The dates he mentioned were luckily enough among them.

Geez. Reading this thread and would have never thought about that! Thanks for your contribution!

That isn't really that strange, since the last day it shows is Feb 22 when there was a patch and downtime for it. We'll see what numbers will say today.

@Metentso: I wrote some stuff down for several days bc I was curious about it, esp weekend figures bc there's no interference with downtime for service maintenance and patches and such. The dates he mentioned were luckily enough among them.

Ok... i added the jan 22th value to my graph and averaged the rest till the 6th.

About yesterday's number,  now it redirects to the beta page which is update later than the old one :/

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

You all fail analytical statistics 101.

• NazgolNazgol Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by Jason2444

Today? 8

Not even VERY heavy servers, which people have pretty much forgotten about, and don't even talk to me about full. They get 1 full server on weekends, IF THEY'RE LUCKY

There was a full server last night and there have not been 20+ heavy severs since launch since they increased server capacity. I was actually suprised to see a full server that late at night.

In Bioware we trust!

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Today? 8

There was a full server last night and there have not been 20+ heavy severs since launch since they increased server capacity. I was actually suprised to see a full server that late at night.

1 full server WOOT! SWG had 3 FULL servers when they announced its closure

The reason they increased server capacity was to stop servers getting full but there were loads of Heavy servers after that, even loads of Full servers too. Most people are either quitting or moving/creating new characters on busier servers. There will always be at least one full server.

Originally posted by superniceguy

Today? 8

1 full server WOOT! SWG had 3 FULL servers when they announced its closure

The reason they increased server capacity was to stop servers getting full but there were loads of Heavy servers after that, even loads of Full servers too. Most people are either quitting or moving/creating new characters on busier servers. There will always be at least one full server.

Isn't that all the servers SWG had left LOL. 

In Bioware we trust!

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Isn't it better to have 3 full servers than 30 empty ones?

Isn't it better to have 3 full servers than 30 empty ones?

Not sure the exact count of servers but there are far from 30 empty ones. The majority are standard status, which really does not tell you the player count on the server itself.

In Bioware we trust!

• RasputinRasputin Member UncommonPosts: 602

Jan 22 = 59053

Feb 19 = 35943

35943 / 59053 = 0.609

Jan 22 = 9477 players

Feb 19 = 6330 players

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Vhaln

For any MMO, players tend to play 6 to 10 hrs on average the first weeks after launch, while it settles to the common 4-5 hours on average after that first month, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less.

With your numbers it is ~0.668 instead of 0.609. So the loss will be some 34% instead of some 39% - a little less, but IMO still an extreme fall, that will put the game in the ground in 1½ - 2 months if it continues like this.

• CrynswindCrynswind Member Posts: 290

F2P in a couple of months

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Crynswind

F2P in a couple of months

Apparently it's not going f2p, they are going to burn the source code on a pyre made out of the crushed hopes of the fanboys whilst the haters dance around the fire chanting in a sinister re-enactment of a scene from the wicker man, and to rub salt into the insult it is going to be the Nicolas cage remake rather than the Edward Woodward original, however in a sop to the Bioware fans there will be a VO by Christopher Lee on the video they issue of it.
  • synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563

ok, i personally don't use xfire and neither do most of friends. with tht being said...trying to prove a point about population dropping based on one source is just silly. While it may be true  that subs are dropping the only ppl that know the honest truth won't be found writing on these forums :p Also, it looks like there's a huge spike duringg the weekends which also just proves that like myself some gamers have a life outside the game that doesn't allow us to log in 7 days a week.

A rather low count yesterday too, but sgnificantly better than the day before which was extremely low. Recovers rank #5 (21737h) followed closely by #6 (Battelfield 3 19967h)  and #7 (Minecraft 17916h).

• Timeout77Timeout77 Member Posts: 177

A rather low count yesterday too, but sgnificantly better than the day before which was extremely low. Recovers rank #5 (21737h) followed closely by #6 (Battelfield 3 19967h)  and #7 (Minecraft 17916h).

Its in 5th place??? dam that is way to good.....I had hoped it was down to 50th or something hahah...

:(

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by synn

ok, i personally don't use xfire and neither do most of friends. with tht being said...trying to prove a point about population dropping based on one source is just silly. While it may be true  that subs are dropping the only ppl that know the honest truth won't be found writing on these forums :p Also, it looks like there's a huge spike duringg the weekends which also just proves that like myself some gamers have a life outside the game that doesn't allow us to log in 7 days a week.

No.  It's not.

Unless you have some reason to believe the sampling of Xfire users has some particular distinguishing characteristics that make their behavior different from the general population of TOR players... one source is just fine.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

World of Warcraft

97654 hours on January 28th

56972 hours on February 23rd

WoW players are leaving in droves because their free month is up.  All my friends are quitting too!

My youtube MMO gaming channel

This discussion has been closed.