Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seems like the game has peaked on XFire

Comments

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by Metentso

Originally posted by Yamota

I know you should not do this but just for fun. Eve has aprox. 1200 players playing per day and for the same day SW:TOR has 4900. Eve's subscriber numbers are known to be around 350.000 which would mean that the XFire factor is 350k/1200 = 292.

292*4900 = 1.4 million SW:TOR subs. I don't think that is such an unreasonable number seeing as it had 1.7 million a month ago.

Oh great this will bring 50 more pages of discussion :)

On SWTOR behalf, I'd say that EVE players are more likely to use xFire than Swtor's players.

also need to be fair the server was down briefly yesterday.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Originally posted by Bunks

Originally posted by Vrika

Originally posted by Zorgo

Ummmm......as of this posting, 34 days at number 5 with the highest being number 4.....sounds like it is pretty stable at this point

The gap between 6th position and 4th position is more gametime per day than what's needed to obtain 6th position. Reasoning that SWTOR's population is stable because it has not dropped more than 50% during 34 days is stupid.

LOL, I was going to post yesterday that before the end of this week SWTOR will be behind minecraft at #7.

SWTOR high was 11.4 and now the lows at 4.8. That's a 60% loss in 50 days. May be a new record.

http://www.xfire.com/games/wow/World_of_Warcraft/

It's recent trend is almost an exact duplicate of WoW's, which means... that all players are not playing as much right now.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I know you should not do this but just for fun. Eve has aprox. 1200 players playing per day and for the same day SW:TOR has 4900. Eve's subscriber numbers are known to be around 350.000 which would mean that the XFire factor is 350k/1200 = 292.

292*4900 = 1.4 million SW:TOR subs. I don't think that is such an unreasonable number seeing as it had 1.7 million a month ago.

On SWTOR behalf, I'd say that EVE players are more likely to use xFire than Swtor's players.

Yeah I know the number is not guaranteed in any way so that is why I said I did it just for fun. image

However the number, 1.4 million, is not that bad at all. If there was 1.7 million a month ago then I would not find it unreasonable if Bioware would say it is 1.4 million after the end of this month. I would wager a couple of houndreds of k's less but still around that number sounds reasonable.

Originally posted by grimfall

Ummmm......as of this posting, 34 days at number 5 with the highest being number 4.....sounds like it is pretty stable at this point

The gap between 6th position and 4th position is more gametime per day than what's needed to obtain 6th position. Reasoning that SWTOR's population is stable because it has not dropped more than 50% during 34 days is stupid.

LOL, I was going to post yesterday that before the end of this week SWTOR will be behind minecraft at #7.

SWTOR high was 11.4 and now the lows at 4.8. That's a 60% loss in 50 days. May be a new record.

It's recent trend is almost an exact duplicate of WoW's, which means... that all players are not playing as much right now.

I am sorry but where are you getting this from? WoW had around 17-18k players during weekdays a month ago and it is still around that so it has not changed much at all.

However the SW:TOR comparison above with 11.4 vs 4.8 is not valid because the 11.4 was for a weekend and 4.8 is for a weekday. You need to compare the same day of week to have a valid trend comparison.

Originally posted by grimfall

Sorry, I know stats and numbers aren't looked at too finely on SWTOR forums and they can just make stuff up and get away with it but not here.

I am sorry but where are you getting this from? WoW had around 17-18k players during weekdays a month ago and it is still around that so it has not changed much at all.

However the SW:TOR comparison above with 11.4 vs 4.8 is not valid because the 11.4 was for a weekend and 4.8 is for a weekday. You need to compare the same day of week to have a valid trend comparison.

That wasn't my attempt at a comparitive yam, it was just a peak --  valley timeline. Not really trying to reach a specific number, just a trend and speed of them.

Originally posted by Kimmyboy

Xfire had a huge content patch tonight. After such a patch it is typical all games loose a X% number of active Xfire players because you need to re install the program.

MMORPG's are more hurt than others as they play in longer playing sessions and these sessions are not counted if Xfire stops tracking (by lack of a patch update).

It make take several days before the numbers are restored, but they never restore 100%.

-

I wouldn't even discuss the downward trends anymore. Because the trend is visible througout all tracking tools. Be that server tracking tools or Xfire.

It is a pity that Xfire looses more and more players in its MMO department (games like COD and LOL really need Xfire more than in game built chat systems in MMO's).

If it weren't for Xfire, we wouldn't have anything but the server status of newly launched games with all possible manipulations as seen in the past.

Conservatively speaking and taking into account all tools we can lay our hands on,  there are about 50% - to a maximum of 60% players in SW TOR now. That's between 850K and 1M players.

I doubt EA will hold on to 1M players at their press conference in May. I bet they'll go for 800K (report closed on Mar 31 of course).

No doubt SW TOR will have reached 400K by mid summer time with ME3, D3, GW2 and MOP released or on the brink of release.

Well said. And you are right, lot of little mitigating factors are skewing the numbers today. But also this is the week a lot of 2 month sub cards expire. Maybe a double whack.

EA and investors already estimated 800k for March 31st, and nothing so far makes them too far off. If I had to guess, they are still over 1 mil subs, but far less are actively playing the game, and that means more lost subs each month. Xfire is not a good tool to measure SWTOR. It's a hardcore gamers tool. It is fair to say SWTOR has lost the hardcore player base, and has become the new niche MMO for the casual non MMO player. Which is why  Istill say the game will stay at 500-600k for a long time and keep its doors open. But the best part is, the investors will stop looking at WOW clones as a safe investment.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

I play on Lord Adraas and The Bergeran Colony so I am on the more busy servers where sometimes even to find an open node of resource is impossible. I know though that those servers that are light must have grouping issues.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by kitarad

I play on Lord Adraas and The Bergeran Colony so I am on the more busy servers where sometimes even to find an open node of resource is impossible. I know though that those servers that are light must have grouping issues.

I play on Hyperspace Cannon primarily and two others as well.  The only time I have issues finding a team is in the "darkest hours" of the night and that normally just means it takes 5 minutes or so instead of the normal one minute to fill a team.  If that is what the definition of "peaking on XFire" means, then I think we have nothing to worry about.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Xfire had a huge content patch tonight. After such a patch it is typical all games loose a X% number of active Xfire players because you need to re install the program.

MMORPG's are more hurt than others as they play in longer playing sessions and these sessions are not counted if Xfire stops tracking (by lack of a patch update).

It make take several days before the numbers are restored, but they never restore 100%.

-

I wouldn't even discuss the downward trends anymore. Because the trend is visible througout all tracking tools. Be that server tracking tools or Xfire.

It is a pity that Xfire looses more and more players in its MMO department (games like COD and LOL really need Xfire more than in game built chat systems in MMO's).

If it weren't for Xfire, we wouldn't have anything but the server status of newly launched games with all possible manipulations as seen in the past.

Conservatively speaking and taking into account all tools we can lay our hands on,  there are about 50% - to a maximum of 60% players in SW TOR now. That's between 850K and 1M players.

I doubt EA will hold on to 1M players at their press conference in May. I bet they'll go for 800K (report closed on Mar 31 of course).

No doubt SW TOR will have reached 400K by mid summer time with ME3, D3, GW2 and MOP released or on the brink of release.

I suppose games #1-#6 did not get affected by the patch then?

WOW managed to sustain its #3 position, and if MMO gamers are mostly affected then would have thought it would have lost a position as well, as too would have been hit hard.

STO players managed to jump from 31 to 23 which is quite remarkable considering it causes problems, which I encounter from time to time too.

The other week the reason for the drop was Valentines day, but then the next day and afterwards was even worse than before. I think it is time to face facts, game is dropping and dropping fast.

Originally posted by superniceguy

WOW managed to sustain its #3 position, and if MMO gamers are mostly affected then would have thought it would have lost a position as well, as too would have been hit hard.

STO players managed to jump from 31 to 23 which is quite remarkable considering it causes problems, which I encounter from time to time too.

The other week the reason for the drop was Valentines day, but then the next day and afterwards was even worse than before. I think it is time to face facts, game is dropping and dropping fast.

You are forgetting one simple fact.  This game is more geared to the casual to mid range player than the hardcore players.  This demographic is also less likely to use things like XFire or any other tracking program, so all XFire is really measuring is the numbers of the more hardcore types that are leaving.  Not a big loss.  At least, not on any of the servers I play on so far.

Originally posted by GMan3

You are forgetting one simple fact.  This game is more geared to the casual to mid range player than the hardcore players.  This demographic is also less likely to use things like XFire or any other tracking program, so all XFire is really measuring is the numbers of the more hardcore types that are leaving.  Not a big loss.  At least, not on any of the servers I play on so far.

No, I am not forgetting that fact, as it is not fact, just opinion. That is just excuses. WOW (or any other game for that matter) would have its fair share of casuals too.

Why is SWTOR the only one affected by this? Because you want them to be!

No, I am not forgetting that fact, as it is not fact, just opinion. That is just excuses. WOW (or any other game for that matter) would have its fair share of casuals too.

Except that as has been noted, all the games took a dive and the MMO ones took the largest dive.  Also, WoW while casual friendly is still geared towards the hardcore, the same people that are more likely to use the program AND with 10+ million players, will have a much higher base to work from than a newly released game geared towards casuals.  But whatever, you have obviously made up your mind and refuse to open your eyes and look around.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Except that as has been noted, all the games took a dive and the MMO ones took the largest dive.  Also, WoW while casual friendly is still geared towards the hardcore, the same people that are more likely to use the program AND with 10+ million players, will have a much higher base to work from than a newly released game geared towards casuals.  But whatever, you have obviously made up your mind and refuse to open your eyes and look around.

And the decrease in server status? WOW is stable there, RIFT is increasing, but SWTOR is consistently going down. How do you explain that?

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Also, maybe worth noting that the huge drop coincides with the beginning of the game's 3rd month.  

People who subscribed only one month beyond the free month have just left.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

As well as Rift, WOW, what about STO which rose a lot, as I mentioned in the other post, which you seem to have missed. It also causes problems, there is a fix, but the easiest fix is just not to use Xfire while playing it.

I have looked around, that is why I can say it is declining. For a new MMO, it should still be appealing to everyone, at this stage.  Also casuals will end up getting less value for money subbing to SWTOR, so if too casual then they will probably wait for it to go F2P, as the hardcore players are just getting through the content fast, and that is why they are leaving, which should not be the case. This shows the problem with SWTOR, and eventually the casuals will quit too.  Hardcore players get through the content in one monthly fee, yet casuals end up paying more maybe constantly to play through same content.

Basically casuals quit because they pay more than hardcore playes, and harcore players quit because there is not enough content.

Bottom line is , the game should have enough stuff in it to make everyone want to subscribe month by month, then everybody pays the same. Just that the casuals will then have to choose the content they end up doing, and not be able to do everything. This is why F2P works - casuals pay for what they get the chance to play, hardcore players pay the monthly fee

• NazgolNazgol Member Posts: 864

I am not sure were people are seeing this great decline they are talking about.  I have been checking the server status every night since this thread came up and I have not seen the drastic decline so many have claimed. Also FYI the website server status does not seem to be in sync(lagging behind) with the server status when you run the game client.

In Bioware we trust!

WoW geared towards hardcore. LOL!

This game is declining and you fans can deny it until it stares right in your face and then it would be interesting to hear your excuses.

• NazgolNazgol Member Posts: 864

WoW geared towards hardcore. LOL!

This game is declining and you fans can deny it until it stares right in your face and then it would be interesting to hear your excuses.

No, no it's not, I am startng it right in the face, I am in game playing and have only seen a small decline in players, the servers are pretty busy during the week and moreso on the weekend.

In Bioware we trust!

• RasputinRasputin Member UncommonPosts: 602

Yeah I know the number is not guaranteed in any way so that is why I said I did it just for fun. image

However the number, 1.4 million, is not that bad at all. If there was 1.7 million a month ago then I would not find it unreasonable if Bioware would say it is 1.4 million after the end of this month. I would wager a couple of houndreds of k's less but still around that number sounds reasonable.

If you know for a fact that there was 1.7 million a month ago (where do you have this number?), why don't you just interpolate the x-fire trend from a month ago? Wouldn't that be alot more predictable than some cross-game maths, that is doomed to be madly unreliable, as the games are very different, and therefore players play them at different lengths?

The best I can do for a month is this (both days are sundays):

Jan 22 = 59053

Feb 19 = 35943

35943 / 59053 = 0.609

1.700.000 * 0.609 = 1.035.000 subscribers

A little over one million subscribers is still decent, but whether it is true is a good question. However, what is very disturbing, is that the game lost almost 40% of its subscribers (or rather, gametime, as that is what x-fire measures) in just one month!

That is an extreme downturn, that will see the game into the ground in just 1½ months if that trend continues.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Originally posted by Rasputin

If you know for a fact that there was 1.7 million a month ago (where do you have this number?), why don't you just interpolate the x-fire trend from a month ago? Wouldn't that be alot more predictable than some cross-game maths, that is doomed to be madly unreliable, as the games are very different, and therefore players play them at different lengths?

Jan 22 = 59053

Feb 19 = 35943

35943 / 59053 = 0.609

A little over one million subscribers is still decent, but whether it is true is a good question. However, what is very disturbing, is that the game lost almost 40% of its subscribers (or rather, gametime, as that is what x-fire measures) in just one month!

That is an extreme downturn, that will see the game into the ground in just 1½ months if that trend continues.

Thi far into the thread and people are still trying to say X-Fire is an "accurate" measure of a games population.

It's very interesting to watch the trends, but X-Fire is a specific and independent subset of game players.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Jan 22 = 59053

Feb 19 = 35943

35943 / 59053 = 0.609

You should use players rather than hours. I only have players since feb 6th though.

• Games888Games888 Member Posts: 243

prediction is 800k by March and stablize around 300k after Tera TSW GW2

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Originally posted by Vhaln

Also, maybe worth noting that the huge drop coincides with the beginning of the game's 3rd month.  

People who subscribed only one month beyond the free month have just left.

And the 500k 'extra sales' that EA pulled in after Christmas will/are coming up to their renewal dates as well - people not keen enough to pre-order merely interested so more likely, imo, to drop.

There is little doubt that SWTOR's first month numbers were very good - the (slightly fuzzy) 1.7M number (it included some 30 day sub folks according to the CFO in the conference call). 

There is little doubt that the XFire drop is very dramatic - and whether the XFire population is representative or not doesn't really matter as it has  since it has proved an accurate guide to the popularity of multiple games: WoW, CoD, Minecraft, WAR, AoC, LL.

Throw in the secondary evidence - forums less busy and server stats lower - both unreliable but circumstantial.

The question I came up with yesterday was whether SWTOR's story was both its strength - keeping people into month 2 - and its Achilles heel. Once people have consumed the story -  adios. Maybe in 6 months or a year they will return for the new stuff - which is essentially what Blizzard have said is happening in WoW.

• RasputinRasputin Member UncommonPosts: 602

Jan 22 = 59053

Feb 19 = 35943

35943 / 59053 = 0.609

You should use players rather than hours. I only have players since feb 6th though.

Yes, that is the problem, otherwise I would.

This discussion has been closed.